• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I can answer the Sunny D question easily, since it calls on my experiences as a grocery store employee: Yes, we do have Sunny D, in a variety of flavors. I'd like to try the Strawberry-flavored one, because nearly everything with strawberries is delicious, but the item never goes on sale.

As for the legendary Pokemon crap, it all depends on what canon you're following, what one's definition of legendary is, and how believable the catching of the Legendary is.

I, for one, can't have my regular trainer capture a Legendary because she's not a member of an organization with the resources to catch one (Team Rocket) or that wants to catch one. She also really kind of can't because in my mind, the Legendary Pokemon are close to gods. It would be, in a sense, like me dragging Zeus around on a leash in ancient Greece. It just wouldn't make sense.

But, if for instance, everything tilted in her favor and the Legendary Pokemon were just treated like regular Pokemon with a special power tossed in to point and laugh at people, then she could catch one. She might have to fulfill some special quest to get one, but it would still work.

No one person can claim "catching a Legendary will turn your character into a Sue and make your story irredeemable" because it all just depends on a lot of factors.

Just as a note: The next time someone tells me to "chill" because I posted like this deserves a firm punch in the face. I'm eating salad while posting. I'm as calm as can be.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • I'm suddenly getting one, too. Angsty teenage legendary gets in a fight with its parents and decides to go get itself caught to spite them.

Legendary: this guy looks suitable.
    Some random trainer: Lololol a legendary!!1!! Go pokeball!!!11!1 *catch*
    Legendary: Suddenly I'm thinking this may not have been such a good idea...

Lmao That actually sounds like a good story, this is giving me ideas on my current fic.

Darn you, I was almost ready to write my chapter, now it's back to the drawing, I mean the thinking board.

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
    Years
  • That is an interesting thought: ways to have a legendary without having an issue with sue/overpowering. Hmm...perhaps the first time this Pokemon was used, it wasn't able to hold back its power and as a result, it killed the other trainer and their Pokemon? Therefore, it is reserved for specific occasions. Or maybe they only caught the legendary because it is sick/dying/cursed. I don't know >_>. But this also makes it a lot weaker, so it is still strong, but not godly.

*ponder ponder*

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Hey, y'all! I'm gonna write a Kirby fanfic! Yaaay!

Anyways, it's when Kirby somehow-or-rather appears in the human world. xDDD. Oh, yeah, scientists pick him up with some sort of beamy thing. And they pick up all kinds of Popstar inhabitants...so Kirby has to fight them. With the help of the main character.

Good idea?

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Heh. The trainer nearly dies before catching it as a last resort and whenever he/she sends it out, it completely and utterly ignores the trainer, even to the point of attacking it. That wouldn't be called Stu, would it now?

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2011
    Oh, I'm glad this topic was brought up. I'm working on a gameverse fic that starts with the main character - the Pearl heroine - having defeated the Champion. It progresses through and expands upon the DP postgame, eventually involving the characters from Ruby, Emerald, FireRed, LeafGreen, and Yellow and their respective regions...but the one thing I've been having trouble with is the oft-referenced "Coronet incident". As in game canon, Kalia confronts and somehow catches the enraged Palkia.

But how?

The easy way out would be to say that she snatched the Master Ball from the Galactic hideout and used it on Palkia. But later in the fic, Mewtwo breaks out of a Master Ball, stating mockingly that while the Ball is engineered to resist all common methods of internal damage, the designers could not have anticipated powers like his. As you can see, Mewtwo is an arrogant little angry kitty. -_-

I do have an acceptable reason for Kalia's being able to capture Palkia, but it's kind of weak and I can't reveal it until the last chapter anyway. Can anyone help me work out a better solution to this incredibly vital plot point?

Bay

Years
  • Hm, I would say to reveal a bit of it to give us a better idea of what's your plan for capturing Palkia. If you still don't want to really reveal it to anyone else but want at least another person's ophinion on it, you can PM me your idea if you like.

Blue Angel

Living for now
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2016
    I am free from school for 5 days starting tomorrow, then 2 days of school and then another 2 days of freedom. That means with the little amount of homework and a few possible chores, I should be pretty free to catch up on my reviewing and beta reading.

Starting to read one now.

Blue Angel

Living for now
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2016
    You mean the fact that...

Spoiler:

I just noticed that not 2 minutes ago. XD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • She sent me a link to her profile. xD I thought it was misprinted or something. xD

Blue Angel

Living for now
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2016
    Lol, I thought of a question for awhile, but I couldn't unveil it since no one had posted yet so here it is:

Which is more annoying, a reviewer who writes a short and undeserved pride boosting post, or a new author with an "I am right, You are wrong, I am mightier, You tell me good stuff NOW!" attitude?

I have to deal with that type of author more than reviewers and I get extremely annoyed at that attitude. But then I get all happy when a mod closes their thread for being a NOOB.

It is hard to tackle those types of posters who say "Great Job! I can't wait for more!" or "Best Fan Fic EVER!" because you just want to slam your head into the desk and yell at them for being idiots.
    You never say that to beginner trainers who don't deserve it or to fics that obviously don't follow the rules.

Sometimes it makes me want to yell "ARE YOU BLIND AS A ZUBAT!?!?"

Okay...
    *Deep breath*
    =D I'm done. Xp

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Which is more annoying, a reviewer who writes a short and undeserved pride boosting post, or a new author with an "I am right, You are wrong, I am mightier, You tell me good stuff NOW!" attitude?

The latter.

Reasoning is this. If someone gives a one-liner review, yes, it's annoying, but there's always another reviewer who can come up behind them and say, "Uh... Here's a very detailed list of reasons why I think this sucks." The writer's attitude towards criticism is completely irrelevant in this case. Yes, they think they're doing a good job if they get a sugar-coated review, but that doesn't mean they're completely deaf to someone else's criticism if they get it.

However, a writer so arrogant they refuse to listen to reviews will always write crappy fanfiction. They won't change. They won't improve. And most of all, if it's the writer that's the problem in a story thread, there's no way out of that little box of suck. A better reviewer can always come along, and so long as the author doesn't give the "but this person said it was good" excuse, the thread can see some growth. A terrible writer will just keep filling up a community with crap.

Bay

Years
  • Which is more annoying, a reviewer who writes a short and undeserved pride boosting post, or a new author with an "I am right, You are wrong, I am mightier, You tell me good stuff NOW!" attitude?
    Like Jax, the latter. Reviewers who just write a one line phrase I'm fine with. Their comment may not be very detailed, but at least they have an interest in it. However, the new author with those attitude I can't deal with. I actually reviewed one of those authors at Serebii two years ago and urgh...had to write a long explination why me and the other reviewers criticized him and that we meant no hard feelings, we're just trying to help. >.>

And oh, saw that Astinus got back to modding. Hm...if she feels like coming back here, then good for her! :)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Well, we get a mod. And it's Astinus again. Wait, what? Well, welcome back I suppose. :) (Noticed it before coming here again as well...)

And on the topic - I agree with Bay and Jax as well. If someone just ignores your critique, especially when it took you some time to do it...
    The one-liner posts are also annoying, especially when they say 'best fic eva' when such comments are subjective, and usually ill-founded (especially if the reviewer probably hasn't looked at many/any other fics) - but not as annoying as the stubborn author.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Which is more annoying, a reviewer who writes a short and undeserved pride boosting post, or a new author with an "I am right, You are wrong, I am mightier, You tell me good stuff NOW!" attitude?
    The annoying reviewer can be easily changed or corrected, if they so choose. If they are lead to believe that they aren't being helpful, and are shown guides, then they change. Or if they are given an infraction. The latter always works, since one-line reviews are against the rules.

The annoying author, however, needs more work. But on first glance, the annoying author who thinks that they are greater than sliced bread is the more annoying one. People with those immature attitudes who loudly proclaim that they are better than anyone else normally are.

Ascaris

boogey
    Years
  • The annoying author. Yea, I do get mad at people giving undeserved praise and I sometimes insult them when I review (usually when I have a bad day) but the writer annoys me more.

For example, in another smaller forum I moderate in, I gave this kid a really harsh review on a story that had six lines of speech and nothing else. He said that he didn't want criticism and he didn't care about improving his story. He also said that no one cared about the quality of the story.

Yes, you heard me right. Then he started stalking me around the forums calling me perfect and telling me not to criticize. I resisted the urge to give him an infraction. When an admin intervened and told him that criticism is allowed on the forum, he stopped. And now he's asking me to help him with the story.

I mean, what the hell?

If anyone's interested, I can give you a link.

Oh, and welcome back, Astinus.

Blue Angel

Living for now
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2016
    *looks at Astinus's new Avatar*
    Ooh! Sora.
    Is that picture recolored?
    I didn't think Sora wore that color in Kingdom Hearts.
    If I had my 3 female gaming freak friends here, I probably would have lost my hearing due to yells of "SORA!"

Wow, Poke Poke. How could you possibly resist?
    If an author kept insulting me for trying to help them, I would have snapped sooner or later.
    Sure, if you want to give a link, I'll look at it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back