• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
  • I got bugs from both patches (but I will admit less from .ups)

On the subject of change most people are scared of the unknow they are used to .ips and don't want to go to a new patcher.

I personalty will try new things but if the thing thing dose not superpas the old one I will just stay with the old one. (hence if they are tied I would stay with the old one because familiarity.)

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • I got bugs from both patches (but I will admit less from .ups)

On the subject of change most people are scared of the unknow they are used to .ips and don't want to go to a new patcher.

I personalty will try new things but if the thing thing dose not superpas the old one I will just stay with the old one. (hence if they are tied I would stay with the old one because familiarity.)

Yeah, you know what's I'm trying to day.

Like half of users don't even know how to use .ips so .ups won't help so much...
    But eeven if I wasn't able to get ups patches to work it might be good to try it your way.

Patching is so simple that anyone can do it on their first try.

I don't like patches. I don't know why, but I don't.

I'd rather have roms but since they're illegal, we're stuck with patches.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Yeah, but some big name web pages give roms out. All they do is say " Only Download if you own a copy of the game; if you don't, delete it with in 24 hours.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Here's something that has been bothering me for a loooooong time.

If .ips is so darn buggy, why not use .ups?

I've seen so many hacks get spammed about bad patching errors and they all use .ips patches. I released a beta of my hack in .ups and I never got a post about bad patching errors. And yet when I suggest that .ips is buggy and .ups will stop the bugs, I get a load of crap about .ups being buggy or that it won't work or .ips works just fine. It really annoys me because it shows how ignorant people are and how much they can't stand new thngs.

What are your views on this?

In my three years in the emulation scene, the only patching problem I have ever had was when I applied a Rescue Rangers patch to a Fire Red ROM. So I don't really see the need for a new form of patch if the old method works fine for me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    In my three years in the emulation scene, the only patching problem I have ever had was when I applied a Rescue Rangers patch to a Fire Red ROM. So I don't really see the need for a new form of patch if the old method works fine for me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But if it can be improved upon, why not?
    :|

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Thats because a generation of kids are just get the answers. why waist 30 mis on goodle when you can just ask for a link. Not enough people are independent.

PS. I like romulation better XD

Eactly, that's what separates the good hacks from the bad ones. People ust be afraid of trial and erro or have been spoon-fed all their lives, do they can't think fo themselves. I wonder how'll they get through life?

@styles, Don't take this the wrong way, but you're one person. I mean that general rom hacking population. :3

Years
  • Eactly, that's what separates the good hacks from the bad ones,

Unfortently that s00 false...

With all these tools, you can more or less reach the same quality of the hacks with knowlegde or just help from other and tools...

If you could easier see the hackers hacking skills in the quality of the hacks, I'd die happy.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Okay, New Topic.

How do you guys progress your stroyline. Do you plan every event, or as you make the game you progress the storyline, and add new events as you see fit.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Okay, New Topic.

How do you guys progress your stroyline. Do you plan every event, or as you make the game you progress the storyline, and add new events as you see fit.

The second option by far.

By the last release of Infernal Legend, I will have probably replaced every major event from beta 1.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • I was planning my hack back when I was 7 years old. I didn't know ROM Hacking was possible; that was the time I got a LEGO Racers game. I played that all the time, but in school I was secretly planning every single Gym puzzle and almost every event...
    Yes, the storyline has changed a bit. I decided to let Kyogre out, since I saw Wujifin of Samson.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Same as what Ash said. I usually make the biggest of the biggest events first and then afterwards, I plan out the smaller events, which I usually change after the betas. :P

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
    Years
  • I wing it. It's probably not the best way to go about things but, it's the way I work best. I get distracted a little too quick, so if I have stuff completely planned out, I'd get bored.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Thankfully, I do things in the heat of the moment to keep it exciting. Goon is right.
    And once I can get to learning scripting instead of imagining it in my head, I won't have much trouble.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back