• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
  • What are the blockers that you prefer?
    A blocker is an event that blocks your way to prevent you from going somewhere you shouldn't go yet.
    Like a policeman, RockSmash rock, Cut trees, guys that have to tie their shoelaces...
    For me, it actually depends on the place. I mean, if I wanted a blocker right in front of a building, I would use an NPC to turn you down or a note overworld. If it's in the terrain of a forest, I would use a certain tile (pointing the obvious, though, that tile should make the player notice that it WILL change).

I might use blockers like rocks or cut trees to block the way for a hidden path or an item, which will be walkable later on, when you can pass the blocker yourself.

Last edited:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Ether people or scripts, I lean towards scripts it gets boring where in a game there is always someone blocking the way.(they have nothing better to do with there life, but block the entrance to the gym.)

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Well cut trees, rock smash rocks, and strength boulders are all assumed given that we're hacking pokémon. As for the others, I'm fine with most broken bridges as long as they're believable (like, a bridge is literally broken and you can't cross to the other side). But when people won't let you onto a route because they're tracing their own footprints, I get a tad irritated.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Well cut trees, rock smash rocks, and strength boulders are all assumed given that we're hacking pokémon. As for the others, I'm fine with most broken bridges as long as they're believable (like, a bridge is literally broken and you can't cross to the other side). But when people won't let you onto a route because they're tracing their own footprints, I get a tad irritated.

Yay! Literal broken-bridge plot win!

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Hey guys how do people make the tiles in the games different? Or are they palletes? (sorry on the spelling) Which is which? Sorry Im a noob lol.
    Thanks though
    Palettes = colours (a good example is the difference between normal and shiny Pokémon).
    Tiles = different pixels (for example, HG/SS have different sprites to Platinum, but not always different colours).
    Yay! Literal broken-bridge plot win!
    It's not really a 'plot'... But yes, a literal broken bridge can be more effective than HM-requiring obstacles, as long as you only use it once (maybe twice). Otherwise, it just seems forced.

Personally, I don't mind Flash, as long as it's not a central part of the game. If it's only used for optional areas, like in D/P/Pt, then it's not actually that bad.

I generally tend to use people for storyline elements, and objects for general 'you're not supposed to go down there yet' situations. But then, I didn't actually make enough progress to say that with confidence :P

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    What are the blockers that you prefer?
    A blocker is an event that blocks your way to prevent you from going somewhere you shouldn't go yet.
    Like a policeman, RockSmash rock, Cut trees, guys that have to tie their shoelaces...
    Well, currently in my hack, you're not allowed to access a certain town until you get the Pokedex, so I have two girls blocking the entrance to a guard house. If you try to talk to them, they won't look at you, but they'll appear to be arguing about teenage-drama-gossip.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Well, currently in my hack, you're not allowed to access a certain town until you get the Pokedex, so I have two girls blocking the entrance to a guard house. If you try to talk to them, they won't look at you, but they'll appear to be arguing about teenage-drama-gossip.

Those are the types of broken bridges that always annoyed me the most. I only really like physical broken bridges (e.g. large objects that you can't pass) or story-driven broken bridges. If there are just random people blocking a passage for no good reason (though technically Team Rocket's reasons weren't all that great to begin with), I get irritated because I feel that in real life, I could have just walked past the arguing, prepubescent kids. As someone before me put it, broken bridges have to feel natural.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Oh, I forgot. Maybe I'll implement this into my hack:

The professor is singing a song...
    Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive
    "Go, now, go! Walk out the door! Just turn around now, 'cuz you're not welcome anymore!" :)

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • If there are just random people blocking a passage for no good reason (though technically Team Rocket's reasons weren't all that great to begin with), I get irritated because I feel that in real life, I could have just walked past the arguing, prepubescent kids.
    Ingame, you're supposed to be a 10 year old kid. Were you THAT courageous real life at the age of ten, so that you could go past hostile adults in general, and criminals blocking your way?

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Ingame, you're supposed to be a 10 year old kid. Were you THAT courageous real life at the age of ten, so that you could go past hostile adults in general, and criminals blocking your way?

Courageous enough to embark on an unaccompanied journey across the nation before I even knew basic algebra, I suppose. :P
    I'm fine with criminals blocking the way. It's just the really silly and unrealistic reasons for not being able to continue that make me mad.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Ingame, you're supposed to be a 10 year old kid. Were you THAT courageous real life at the age of ten, so that you could go past hostile adults in general, and criminals blocking your way?
    There's nothing in the games that say that the main character is 10. Anime =/= Games. Just because the anime's main character is 10 doesn't mean that it's the same for the games. But yet, the Pokedex size/weight comparisons in D/P/Pt suggests that the main character is six.

Walking past adults isn't really that hard...

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • Courageous enough to embark on an unaccompanied journey across the nation before I even knew basic algebra, I suppose. :P
    I'm fine with criminals blocking the way. It's just the really silly and unrealistic reasons for not being able to continue that make me mad.
    You good a point there... =[
    Well, same with me, I suppose. In my hack, there's a place at the beggining that you can't go just yet, because local special forces (Poke SWAT?) are blocking the way, along with a van (the location is the mayor's manor, btw), so even if you're like, 16 you aren't courageous enough :|
    There's nothing in the games that say that the main character is 10. Anime =/= Games. Just because the anime's main character is 10 doesn't mean that it's the same for the games. But yet, the Pokedex size/weight comparisons in D/P/Pt suggests that the main character is six.

Walking past adults isn't really that hard...
    I would say that there is sense in saying that they're 10, since it's the average age of the people who start playing pokemon for the first time, and the appearance of the trainers is close to 10/12 years old.

Anyway, you just gave me an idea, colcolstyles...and funilly enough, it's good. I'll credit you for that! :3

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Adding to what I said, for my next beta, I'm going to use rock smash rocks to block the way to forbidden places since it's not going to be available in that beta and it means I can reuse one script over and over again. XP

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back