• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Plot, Planning & Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SylveonStar

Sylveon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 15, 2017
I've got an idea for a trainer academy roleplay but I'm a little unsure about starting it because there is already a long running one. Looking for opinions on if I should make this roleplay.

Years
I've got an idea for a trainer academy roleplay but I'm a little unsure about starting it because there is already a long running one. Looking for opinions on if I should make this roleplay.

Well there's like three or four journey RPs running, so I don't think that another RP having the same genre should exactly dissuade you. However you might want to ask yourself whether or not you're better off just signing up for PTA instead.

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
Years
I don't know if this is still a thing or not, but I'm just gonna leave something here. Let me know what you think. I'll add the plot and the present-day stuff in a little bit.

The Deep Blue: An Overview
Spoiler:

Years
I don't know if this is still a thing or not, but I'm just gonna leave something here. Let me know what you think. I'll add the plot and the present-day stuff in a little bit.

The Deep Blue: An Overview
Spoiler:

This is some really unique and interesting lore you have here! I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with it.

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
Years
More stuff!

The World as of Now
Spoiler:

Plot:
Spoiler:

You:
You can be anything you wish: A mer-folk fisher, an avan messenger, a human pit fighter. You name it, you can be it. One thing that is common with all of you, however, is that you are all chosen by the gods. Shira and Doran have made contact first, the rarest occasion is hundreds of years, and they have designated each and every one of you to combat the forces of darkness. Only those who stand together can hope to stem the overwhelming tide of the underworld.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
As the type of person who really likes this genre of RPs I thought I'd give some feedback, seeing as I'd be interested if this came to fruition.

Anyway, here's my comments... Though, I'm aware maybe you were purposely vague or haven't quite come up with the concept yet so obviously some of the things you're not going to include in the post. Just things to think about.

Spoiler:

Parivir

rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Years
A preamble:

Spoiler:

Full disclosure: that piece of writing isn't mine; I found it on reddit, but the concept blew me away and I thought it would be an interesting premise for an RP.

Obviously there'd be a lot of spicing up in places, maybe even turn it into a straight-up dark fantasy RPG with a Disgaea/FE: Fates Conquest vibe going on. There could be alliances--guilds, even--of people trying to help one another get reincarnated, though obviously that would mandate a slight change in the reincarnation system so that it's not so individual-centric. Or alternatively, people could just fight on their own/in small teams ala TWEWY.

Idk, I feel like this is on the cusp of being a really good RP but I just can't piece my ideas together well enough. Help?

Years
I have submitted this before, however I have edited it quite a bit. It was denied due to not explaining how the RP was going to function, did I fix that with the extra info I added or do I need something else? I was a bit confused on what it meant, if someone could look at it and give their opinion I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance!

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I have submitted this before, however I have edited it quite a bit. It was denied due to not explaining how the RP was going to function, did I fix that with the extra info I added or do I need something else? I was a bit confused on what it meant, if someone could look at it and give their opinion I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance!

Since I'm neglecting my homework atm, I can try to help you out.

Spoiler:

Years
Spoiler:
Thanks for all your help, I'll implement these changes soonTM[/SPOILER]

Something broke in that ^ but essentially I come up with a bunch of excuses and say Thanks!

Here's the edits:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Something broke in that ^ but essentially I come up with a bunch of excuses and say Thanks!

No problem, anything to distract me from homework! :P

Lookin' good! I would just remember to make sure there is a paragraph break between each paragraph.

i.e this:

Spoiler:

Oh, also I would change this sentence "I'll list a few races and their pros and cons" to reflect that you've chosen a collective name and it'll help link people to what a Nightsider is so.... "I'll list a few races of Nightsiders and their pros and cons" would work.

I think you're all set! Just needs those rules.

Years
So this is an idea for a mechanic of an RP I have toying about in my head. Without revealing too much of the plot, basically it's an RP with video game set pieces. I.e. go to level, fight some mooks, fight the boss, go to next level (It's not Sword Art Online, I promise.)

Anyways the mechanic I want your opinion on is the concept of having a sort of Adam West Batman "Villain of the week" for the bosses. Ideally each boss would be played by a different community member not already in the RP as a sort of guest star. The character's appearance, abilities, weaknesses and objective are all given to the RPer, but the personality is not, allowing each person to make each boss their own and basically ham it the hell up as they see fit. Naturally the guest star wouldn't be revealed until the moment the boss is revealed to garner sort of "dude Will Smith is playing Deadshot!" kind of reaction.

Do you guys find this as viable with the membership, what with essentially playing a temporary small part in an RP with a very small commitment level?

Years
So this is an idea for a mechanic of an RP I have toying about in my head. Without revealing too much of the plot, basically it's an RP with video game set pieces. I.e. go to level, fight some mooks, fight the boss, go to next level (It's not Sword Art Online, I promise.)

Anyways the mechanic I want your opinion on is the concept of having a sort of Adam West Batman "Villain of the week" for the bosses. Ideally each boss would be played by a different community member not already in the RP as a sort of guest star. The character's appearance, abilities, weaknesses and objective are all given to the RPer, but the personality is not, allowing each person to make each boss their own and basically ham it the hell up as they see fit. Naturally the guest star wouldn't be revealed until the moment the boss is revealed to garner sort of "dude Will Smith is playing Deadshot!" kind of reaction.

Do you guys find this as viable with the membership, what with essentially playing a temporary small part in an RP with a very small commitment level?

That sounds kind of interesting, if you can convince people to be your "guest stars" I say go for it.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016

If you can get this to work I could actually see this catching on as a mechanic. I know there are RPs I see that I know that I can't join full time but still wish to take part in. So, doing the whole 'guest star' thing would actually be perfect. I think the only problem would be is making sure your guest stars can 'guest' seeing as they'd probably join the RP if they could so you'd have to make sure they were free for the allotted time you need them for. Plus, let them know approximately how long they'd be in for. It seems you're already giving them everything (powers, weaknesses, appearance, etc.) so that takes most of load off.

My only concern would be is that I hope that people don't just go "well, I'll just be a guest star instead of joining" because it's less work, less commitment, etc. Then you'd get less roleplayers because they'd rather do short-term than long-term work.

I am curious, how are you going to find the guest stars? Are they going to "sign up" in the OOC like everyone else? How would that work?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024

I really like the idea! But perhaps the "real players" could also choose to only participate in some chapters? Like, maybe they were in the first chapter, then not in the next, and then in the third again. Something like Venice (I think?) where you can sign up for chapters/arcs.

Or, you can just recruit your friends here to be the guest stars and keep the "real players" as proper members of a RP.

Years
I think the only problem would be is making sure your guest stars can 'guest' seeing as they'd probably join the RP if they could so you'd have to make sure they were free for the allotted time you need them for. Plus, let them know approximately how long they'd be in for.

I am curious, how are you going to find the guest stars? Are they going to "sign up" in the OOC like everyone else? How would that work?

The 'guest stars' wouldn't be signing-up in the most traditional sense. When the RP gets near a point to needing the first batch of bosses(I'll usually try to keep it in grouping of 2-4.) I'll make a post in the OOC topic about looking for some antagonists....and also in that "Roleplayers Wanted!" topic. Applicants send a PM instead of posting in the topic to keep things hush hush and not ruin the surprise. From there it's gather the list of responders, make selections, send out PM's asking if they're able, hand out individual boss characters and we're in business. If the list runs dry due to using up all the people on it who keep interest then it's just a case of rinse and repeat.

My only concern would be is that I hope that people don't just go "well, I'll just be a guest star instead of joining" because it's less work, less commitment, etc. Then you'd get less roleplayers because they'd rather do short-term than long-term work.

Yes, I also see this as a flaw, so one of my planned actions is to not mention the 'guests' on the OOC topic until applications are needed. Though to be completely honest, I would love to PM just random RPers from the community and ask instead of somewhat ruining the surprise by declaring that there will be special boss RPers...at least for the first few bosses, since it would become routine afterwards. Hell, I actually had reservations about even asking since it would mean any potential 'main cast' paying attention to this topic currently now knows the surprise and hopefully won't ruin the fun. I'm just not sure how effective getting a PM from someone randomly who has been inactive for about a year will be.

But perhaps the "real players" could also choose to only participate in some chapters? Like, maybe they were in the first chapter, then not in the next, and then in the third again. Something like Venice (I think?) where you can sign up for chapters/arcs.

Or, you can just recruit your friends here to be the guest stars and keep the "real players" as proper members of a RP.

Eh, that really wouldn't fit the theme of the RP. It's meant to be sort of team based, and not segmented into chapters or sidestories. If there's enough players though, the team would be able to split up, with group A taking on level X and group B taking on level Y, but would be simultaneous and still follow the traditional RP format of continual activity. The thing I'm tinkering with isn't meant to be integral to the RP, just some side fun to our regularly scheduled programming.

But now you've reminded me that I have no friends(on here at least) and the ones I did have been inactive for years. :P

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
I'm actually developing a Pokemon RP as we speak, based around coordination and Pokemon contests. The plot is simple: six talented coordinators invited to participate in a competition, pitting their Pokemon against others for fame and fortune.

It's hard taking into account how people will post. Currently, joint-posting is optional in case it ever comes to such. But I also plan to throw in Mystery rounds where the coordinators have to command their Pokemon in randomly selected situations... I don't want to make things too complicated and leave a bunch of easily-exploitable loopholes. It's difficult to word, really.

Here's my current explanation of the contest's rules. Thoughts? Criticism?

Spoiler:

Last edited:

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
Years
Hey there guys! So, I'm considering launching a RP soon, based on Ecruteak City's Kimono Girls.

200px-Kimono_Girls_Adventures.png

The main premise is that these 'Kimono Girls' (geishas) are trained not only in the art of entertainment, but on the more subtle art of assassination. Essentially, I want to reinvent the Kimono Girls as a sort of Tarantino-esque Fox Team Five, Charlie's Angels sort of group and insert them into a position where they (the RPers) will take direct part of the downfall of Team Rocket in the Johto Region. The plot will follow queues from Kill Bill, Charlie's Angels, the plots of the Generation I and II games (of course), and be infused with quite a bit of backdrop inspired by Memoirs of a Geisha.

If anyone is interested in helping me set up this RP, I would really appreciate it if you could help me with research. I plan to re-watch essentially all the movies mentioned above (and maybe read Memoirs while I'm at it), and I'd appreciate it if someone would be interested in helping me digest the source material for a different POV and opinion on the direction the RP should take.

If you are interested in participating in a RP like this but don't necessarily want to Co-GM or have time to help with the direction of the RP, like this comment or otherwise reply to me and let me know this is something you'd be interested in seeing come to light; a little extra motivation never hurt anyone, now did it? ;)

Parivir

rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Years
Hey there guys! So, I'm considering launching a RP soon, based on Ecruteak City's Kimono Girls.

200px-Kimono_Girls_Adventures.png

The main premise is that these 'Kimono Girls' (geishas) are trained not only in the art of entertainment, but on the more subtle art of assassination. Essentially, I want to reinvent the Kimono Girls as a sort of Tarantino-esque Fox Team Five, Charlie's Angels sort of group and insert them into a position where they (the RPers) will take direct part of the downfall of Team Rocket in the Johto Region. The plot will follow queues from Kill Bill, Charlie's Angels, the plots of the Generation I and II games (of course), and be infused with quite a bit of backdrop inspired by Memoirs of a Geisha.

If anyone is interested in helping me set up this RP, I would really appreciate it if you could help me with research. I plan to re-watch essentially all the movies mentioned above (and maybe read Memoirs while I'm at it), and I'd appreciate it if someone would be interested in helping me digest the source material for a different POV and opinion on the direction the RP should take.

If you are interested in participating in a RP like this but don't necessarily want to Co-GM or have time to help with the direction of the RP, like this comment or otherwise reply to me and let me know this is something you'd be interested in seeing come to light; a little extra motivation never hurt anyone, now did it? ;)

This sounds amazing. While I don't quite have enough time to go on a Tarantion watch-a-ton, I'd join this in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back