• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Plot, Planning & Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Etherion

I dont see any Kalos RPs around, do you guys want to see one? Or would you like a Gale of Darkness based RP?

Years
  • What kind of plot makes people interested in an RP?

That's hard to say since different things interest different people.
    Some people enjoy very loose and open RPs like Begin Again, others likes a structured plot like Outbreak and some like combinations and variations of those.

It's easier to pass judgement after seeing a plot created that to straight out say what will be successful.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    What kind of plot makes people interested in an RP?

No matter the kind of the RP, I think it's safe to say people are interested in plots that actively involve and engage them as potential players - that's the point of RPing, to work and interact with other players in a fertile setting that would bring everyone together on its own. It's better that way rather than the GM forcing everyone to come together when the IC is up, having a plot with little relevance to the players that backs him up poorly (I speak from experience here). After that mistake of mine as a GM, the group felt awkward and we never bonded as we would have if I had made clear first-thing through the plot in the OOC what it was that we would be doing and how exactly all of our characters were (supposed to be) related.

Furthermore, it's good if your plot matches the kind of RP you are making. Is it a sandbox RP? Meaning, you let the players roam free upon your setting and let them gain resources, work together or against each other and discover new events and quests you have planned on their own. Usually, people who create Sandboxes give them more loose, less structured plots that allow for that kind of game to happen, otherwise too much leading-along and hand-holding will result in their RP being bogged down by people who've grown bored and want to develop their characters instead of having them locked in plot-related situations.

It could be a RP that's heavily plot-dependent; there are certain people, like me, who prefer this type of RP and dislike the loose plots of the Sandboxes. In case you want to make such an RP, you'll want to give the plot and how it affects your fellow players much thought, and you have to plan, not only for the OOC, but constantly plan ahead (if only a little bit) for events that will happen IC next. Or maybe you don't have to - but that's the only way I know I can make the RP's plot to work, by planning.

That's to give your question a general answer. If you're asking what kind of plot is popular among the peeps of this forum, the RPs you'll find here will teach you that.

Last edited:

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
    Years
  • I would like to make up an RP based in the Pokemon Past in the Preexisting Canon past the time of Damos in Arceus and the Jewel of Life. The players will be a group of children intending to make a relationship with their pokemon instead of just as tools and go on an adventure all around the Historic Sinnoh Region, Though there are no Gyms, if I were doing it like a journey rp there would be different problems per town, like drought, or Pokemon Infestation, with a overarching plot which may or may not include some timey travely Dialga shenanigans.

Years
  • I would like to make up an RP based in the Pokemon Past in the Preexisting Canon past the time of Damos in Arceus and the Jewel of Life. The players will be a group of children intending to make a relationship with their pokemon instead of just as tools and go on an adventure all around the Historic Sinnoh Region, Though there are no Gyms, if I were doing it like a journey rp there would be different problems per town, like drought, or Pokemon Infestation, with a overarching plot which may or may not include some timey travely Dialga shenanigans.

That does sound like an interesting idea actually, I'd love to see what you can make of it.
    I would strongly recommend though, that you don't actually use Damos. Using canon characters is never a good idea.

Etherion

Has anyone seen a cartoon called Total Drama Island?
    I've seen a Pokemon crossover of it on Youtube and it would be cool
    To make an rp of one :)

Etherion

I'm not sure how it would work as a pokemon crossover though.

The Pokemon could be the campers :)
    But, this RP eliminates players, so its probably not a good idea XD
    How about Slugterra? Has anybody heard about it?

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
    Years
  • I'd like some feed back on this character concept, not in a rp atm but ready for transplant, history changes per universe.

Name:
    Jason Waddington
    Jason may be called by his psuedonym which he gives to people doesn't know, this alias is "Archimedes" Or "Arc" He uses this because this is a person who greatly inspires him. Jason often gives his surname as Wades or Wade, since the surname seems pretentious to him.

Appearence:

2728452_1337673527829.51res_225_350.jpg

(ignore the ear ring)

Personality:
    Jason is obsessed with the world of mathematics. He particularly likes measurements. He always has a retracting tape messure which he uses to measure aswell as a weapon, such as a whip, or setting up traps and trip wires (depending if the universe he is put in, he may have a spell or future-tech ability to never lose it). He has several different tape measures. He has modified his favourite one to accomadate an extra 300 centimetres and he often uses it measure, well, anything. Steming from this, he has a love for architecture which in turn allows him to be an expert in demolition and using the enviroment around him. In his spare time, he draws up different types of building. Jason is generally easy going, although when first meeting someone he will do mental calculations about their height, weight, their clothes and can tell things if they are off easily. He enjoys hanging with friends but he doesn't like to have many friends and focuses effort on a small group. He looks very studiously at nature and the enviroment around him. His combat advantages come from his enhanced cognitive ability, processing information and planning alltogether at an accelerated pace. He has a relaxed tone of voice and likes to draw. He has a certain vibe he gives off as being confident and easy-going.

Additionally, what kind of sci-fi rp/setting do you like: time travel, pokemon future, original future, etcetera?

Last edited:

Etherion

Sooo.... I have this idea of a SAO and Pokemon crossover RP called Kalos Rebirth Online

Spoiler:

So, what do you guys think?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Sooo.... I have this idea of a SAO and Pokemon crossover RP called Kalos Rebirth Online

Spoiler:

So, what do you guys think?
    I've tried a Pokémon and SAO crossover twice (almost thrice actually). What I can recommend is to have players follow a plot and have a reason to stick together or meet up, rather than to make it completely sandbox-y. It can easily become too loose and uninteresting if you can go anywhere and do anything. How about, for example, no one can get past the first gym town until someone has beaten the gym leader? Sort of like how the dungeon bosses in SAO work. The gym leaders could be hacked to be ridiculously tough and require several player trainers to beat.

Etherion

I've tried a Pokémon and SAO crossover twice (almost thrice actually). What I can recommend is to have players follow a plot and have a reason to stick together or meet up, rather than to make it completely sandbox-y. It can easily become too loose and uninteresting if you can go anywhere and do anything. How about, for example, no one can get past the first gym town until someone has beaten the gym leader? Sort of like how the dungeon bosses in SAO work. The gym leaders could be hacked to be ridiculously tough and require several player trainers to beat.

Ok, how about having only specific areas available until a specific event is fulfilled by the players?

That could work :) but some Gyms are spaced far away from each other, but a cool idea!

Years
  • Ok, how about having only specific areas available until a specific event is fulfilled by the players?

That could work :) but some Gyms are spaced far away from each other, but a cool idea!

I think that's a good way to do it. I'd love to see Adventure's idea happen too.

Chalifoux

:: Certified Granblue Fantasy Nerd ::
    Years
  • Dropping this here to see if the basic plot idea can interest people. Feedback and questions would also be greatly appreciated.

This is an idea for a Roleplay I'm probably going to call Leeway Stretch. Leeway being a Synonim for Space; Stretch serving such purpose for the word Time. It is a Pokemon Roleplay, and it follows a journey of sorts while also trying to be somewhat open and such.

Spoiler:
    Simply put: the world of Pokemon has drastically changed, and society has collapsed to an extent. After an incident involving two(?) of the numerous legendary Pokemon, all known regions have encompassed into a large landmass, with most towns and dungeons being destroyed in the process. Numerous testimonies seem to indicate that it was a large number of legendary Pokemon working in tandem to cause the conflict, but the case remains open and so far there isn't a clear explanation to what happened and, most importantly, why it happened. Players would end up involved, in some way or another, in a journey across whatever remains of this reformed Pokemon world, eventually finding an explanation to the events leading to the collapse of society via some weird timey wimey shenanigans.

It is a redux of sorts of a concept for a Roleplay that I've attempted twice before, but I think I have a more solid grasp of the plot and how to handle it after being away from the Roleplay Theatre for quite a bit now, and I wanted to make sure if the interest is there. It may take me a while to fully ready this for posting, since I want to have some extent of the plot thought out before I submit it for approval.

Years

• IT'S ABOUT TIME YOU SHOWED UP.

Anyway I'm not going to go too in-depth into this at the moment, but I think this has the makings of being a really interesting take on the pokemon world. The post apocalyptic pokemon things has more or less been done before, but never in quite the vivid and dramatic way you have painted it and I'm looking forward to seeing what will undoubtably be an amazing epic play out.

Basically, post this immediately because even though I may not be able to join I want to read it.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I'm thinking of a roleplay-style mafia game (or mafia-style roleplay). If anyone would like to help me out, plan or co-GM then hit me up :).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back