• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

useless abilities?

Jerme

stupid
Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    Seriously? Are you that much of a child? To put someone's thoughts down like that when it's just a simple idea? THAT, sir, is an epic fail. Another epic fail is your ability to recognize that "stupidest" is not a word.

As for the original intention of the OP, I don't... Quite get what you're saying. Are you saying that the abilities should be locked into the Pokemon, so they can't be swapped with Skill Swap? Or are you getting more towards a dual-abilities thing of sorts?

After reading some replies, I think I get the basic structure of your idea: to have innate properties of Pokemon, then their abilities. On second thought, that sounds like a pretty good idea. It's getting more towards the Personality Description of Pokemon, but yeah, I could go for it.

1. wasn't thinkin about that...so not what i meant

2. yea thats what i mean

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • Seriously ??...i think it's a pretty cool one...Think about it..U send out zoroark with a weezing in the second slot...Zoroark appears as weezing and yr opponent switches with a psychic type,...BOOM !!..he's done..So many things can be done with it

Illusion isn't that good. Sure you could do that little trick you suggested but then your opponent knows you have a Weezing in your party, takes away the element of surprise.

I like the idea of dual abilities, there's no point saying "aw it'll get too complicated" as they just came out with triple battles so... Im guessing they're not worried about it getting too complicated xD

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
  • I definitely think it's a good idea. Each Pokémon having an inate ability in the first place as well as an ability, either that or dual abilities. Pick up and Run Away could act like Shuckles ability to make Berry Juice and then Rare Candies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    The problem is that such innate abilities need to be advertised somewhere, because they're game-altering. Every Pokémon is assumed to be equal, and then modified by the type/stats/moveset/ability accordingly. All those things can be seen, and the players must be able to know what makes one Pokémon different from the next.

So an innate Runner Away must be said to be a Runner Away somewhere in the game, preferably in the summary pages of each Pokémon (because the Pokédex is worthless when it comes to valid game-related information other than height/weight). And since it's come to this, it might as well be an ability anyway. Plus it saves the trouble of a Pokémon getting too many perks (effectively two abilities), not to mention the trouble of having to think up another ability for them.

No abilities are useless. Some abilities are restrictive, though, but that's either to balance the Pokémon's strength or it's a novelty (e.g. Klutz). Either way, there are still ways to use them effectively, and also ways to remove them/give them to the opponent so they can suffer.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Illusion isn't that good. Sure you could do that little trick you suggested but then your opponent knows you have a Weezing in your party, takes away the element of surprise.

I like the idea of dual abilities, there's no point saying "aw it'll get too complicated" as they just came out with triple battles so... Im guessing they're not worried about it getting too complicated xD

hehehe, not if they already know you have a weezing.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    but what if your weezing does a move it cant learn but zoorat can, then they think something is weird then switch out to lucario and kill your zoorak thing

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Seriously ??...i think it's a pretty cool one...Think about it..U send out zoroark with a weezing in the second slot...Zoroark appears as weezing and yr opponent switches with a psychic type,...BOOM !!..he's done..So many things can be done with it
    ...Good point, that makes it worth it...you can capture Zoroark so you can nickname it and throw your opponent off :P

epic fail, probably the stupidest post ive read so far on PC that wasnt spam.

basically ur sayin,lock down the big beasties permanently, and get rid of free items& pokemon that can run away when you really need it, thats just stupid.

basically that tosses out the idea of ever gettin more than 1earthquake
    more evolution stones like dawn,dusk,&shiny
    rare candies exc.

definitely Epic Fail.
    ...you can get those items even without pick up anyways...your comment is actually spam like...Epic Fail!

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Hi guys. I'm a moderator. I have an ability called "Lock" and it's not useless at all. I can use it if you guys don't calm it down in here. I also have an attack called "Infract". It's a OHKO. So you might want to chill out with the flaming and the spam.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    speaking of innate properties, pkmn like beedrill should always be leviating while having the other ability like swarm

Soldek

"Try Me"
    Years
  • speaking of innate properties, pkmn like beedrill should always be leviating while having the other ability like swarm

I think that'd be a better idea. Like, the levitating Pokemon like Magneton that suffer damage from ground attacks.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • The idea was brought up awhile back on the B/W section that pokemon that can currently have one of two abilities can have both active at once, making battles that much deeper and complex. This was unpopular because certain pokemon (Tentacruel, Roserade, Bronzong) would be broken while there are still pokemon with only one ability. The simple solution to this would be to give every pokemon a second ability. This would also work wonders in making every species of pokemon more unique in their own right. :D

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2011
    epic fail, probably the stupidest post ive read so far on PC that wasnt spam.

basically ur sayin,lock down the big beasties permanently, and get rid of free items& pokemon that can run away when you really need it, thats just stupid.

basically that tosses out the idea of ever gettin more than 1earthquake
    more evolution stones like dawn,dusk,&shiny
    rare candies exc.

definitely Epic Fail.

No, they weren't saying that. I think people are getting confused.

They are suggesting they want the pokemon to pick up things, but not have it as the ability.

For example, a eevee's ability would be technician, but it would still find items.

They want the feature built into the pokemon. Like how cherrim's form change has nothing to do with flower gift.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    The idea was brought up awhile back on the B/W section that pokemon that can currently have one of two abilities can have both active at once, making battles that much deeper and complex. This was unpopular because certain pokemon (Tentacruel, Roserade, Bronzong) would be broken while there are still pokemon with only one ability. The simple solution to this would be to give every pokemon a second ability. This would also work wonders in making every species of pokemon more unique in their own right. :D
    You are right about certain Pokemon being broken. But, not only that, think about Pokemon like Lucario. It has one of two abilities, one that prevents flinching, and one that raises speed after flinching. See the problem? If it can't flinch it will never get the benefit of its other ability.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    No, they weren't saying that. I think people are getting confused.

They are suggesting they want the pokemon to pick up things, but not have it as the ability.

For example, a eevee's ability would be technician, but it would still find items.

They want the feature built into the pokemon. Like how cherrim's form change has nothing to do with flower gift.

yea perfect example. i have no idea why others arent like this, like arceus multitype and especially castforms forecast. just a sidenote, but both dont even work on other pokes when hacked on them

oh yea, and for the pickup, thats exactly what pokemon do in hg/ss, they pick up dress up items while walking, even if they dont have pickup.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    speaking of innate properties, pkmn like beedrill should always be leviating while having the other ability like swarm
    If we're going to think of it like that (and we should), we could always mix and match the abilities. For example, having one "Levitate" ability for Magnemite, and one "Levitate+Swarm" for Beedrill and other flying bugs.

yea perfect example. i have no idea why others arent like this, like arceus multitype and especially castforms forecast. just a sidenote, but both dont even work on other pokes when hacked on them

oh yea, and for the pickup, thats exactly what pokemon do in hg/ss, they pick up dress up items while walking, even if they dont have pickup.
    The simple answer is that Cherrim's form is entirely superficial. It has no effect on anything. Multitype/Forecast do, and that should be mentioned.

Pickup affects the game - it gives you free stuff. So it shouldn't be an innate property, because then how would you tell which Pokémon could get you free items (aside from memorising which ones do)?

You may well throw the example of Deoxys at me as a couter, but I'll remind you that its stats are readily visible in the summary screen, so it's not like it's invisible to the player. And it's not as though it's easy to stumble across the fact that the meteorites change its Forme anyway - by the time you have Deoxys, you'll have already dismissed them as irrelevant. If you manage to change its Forme, you'll know what you're doing, and thus again it's not a hidden thing.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2011
    The simple answer is that Cherrim's form is entirely superficial. It has no effect on anything. Multitype/Forecast do, and that should be mentioned.

Pickup affects the game - it gives you free stuff. So it shouldn't be an innate property, because then how would you tell which Pokémon could get you free items (aside from memorising which ones do)?

You may well throw the example of Deoxys at me as a couter, but I'll remind you that its stats are readily visible in the summary screen, so it's not like it's invisible to the player. And it's not as though it's easy to stumble across the fact that the meteorites change its Forme anyway - by the time you have Deoxys, you'll have already dismissed them as irrelevant. If you manage to change its Forme, you'll know what you're doing, and thus again it's not a hidden thing.

They can add the infomation to the pokedex (like with how they explained spinda/ shuckle[though they removed the berry juice making from later games, they kept the info.])

They could put it in the instruction booklet, a character could talk about it, or it could be like the IV judge. It could be mentioned on a sign as a trainer tip or they could have it on the players/rival/professors computer, (which usually have helpful message) or they could tell the player the first time it happens (like how you're told by nurse joy with pokerus.)

I'm sure they'd find a way to tell the character.

zigazav

Fanfiction writer inactive
    Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2017
    i'm thinking that the useless abilities should just be programmed into the pokemon. im talking about ones like slow start and the slakoths ability. i understand they wanted to make them seem realistic, but those being abilities is just NO. they should be programmed into them some other way, so then they can have actual abilities along with those effects.

and i think same for pickup, and maybe run away

Well Mateo programmed Pickup into the Zigzagoon in his Gen 2 hack Pokemon Christmas, so it is possible to do that I think. Dunno if it can work in Gen 3 onwards, but it's worth a shot I think if the person knows what they are doing. Dunno if this is wrong to post this here, so if it is, I apologize for my actions.

EDIT: I'm so sorry! I posted in a 6 year old thread by mistake! I didn't mean to necropost! Staff, if you see this, please don't ban me! ;C I have bad memories of being banned for necroposting...

Back