• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows 10!

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
  • Apparently the Windows Update "errors" when it tries to upgrade to Windows 10 are by design - it only means that it's not its time yet. Or something. (Try searching the error code and Windows 10 upgrade.)
    ^This.

Microsoft has been rolling the upgrade out slowly rather than all at once. The "failed" message simply means that they haven't rolled it out to you yet - which is a really dumb way to communicate that to you since it makes you pull your hair out trying to fix a non-existent problem. Forcing the upgrade circumvents that though.

Years
  • Apparently the Windows Update "errors" when it tries to upgrade to Windows 10 are by design - it only means that it's not its time yet. Or something. (Try searching the error code and Windows 10 upgrade.)

^This.

Microsoft has been rolling the upgrade out slowly rather than all at once. The "failed" message simply means that they haven't rolled it out to you yet - which is a really dumb way to communicate that to you since it makes you pull your hair out trying to fix a non-existent problem. Forcing the upgrade circumvents that though.
    If that's the case, then they really shouldn't send out a mass email stating to users that it's now available for everyone on the first day, but rather until that's true for everyone.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    This drives me mad. This morning windows 10 works peachy, but when I shut it down and turn it on during work it trashed me with 2 blue screens and luckily it still work. However, when I try to click a few things:

• When I tried to click "Store" it gives me a pop that said "This app can't open"
    • I tried right clicking my active program or my pinned program it won't show the menu
    • I click "Search" nothing happen
    • I click menu it won't bring the menu even in the task bar (Volume, Battery, Internet, Notfication and else on the task bar) seems does nothing.
    Is there a way I can work around this.I know I can do reset, but I don't want to lose all my programs.

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    I used the Media Creation tool and it worked first time, on release day too. Sucks that literally two days after release I had to go away with nothing but my sister's Win8 laptop since I only have a desktop, and she won't want me to update it for her.

From the experience I had with 10 though, it was frickin' awesome. I especially love Edge. I never thought I'd be saying I found any browser I liked more than Chrome, let alone a Microsoft browser! Edge was a massively pleasant surprise and the only thing it's lacking so far is addons and plugins, which will be fixed over time I hope as users start to get involved.

I'll be using Edge at least until Chrome starts working properly for me. I've seen a lot of ignorant hate towards Edge from people who think it's another IE, but it's worth a try. Even if you don't like it as much as I do, definitely give it a shot: it's NOT IE.

Oh yeah, and as a matter of fact, GTA V was suddenly running better. I'm not sure why, but all the RAM leak related stuttering problems stopped as of Windows 10 for me. There was no GTA update to fix that either, so that was pleasant. Also psyched for DX12, can't wait to see how that pans out.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Well, I finally got my update today and I have to say, it's nice, sort of a "what windows 8 should have been". Sadly, my Firefox is so full of addons and plugins I can't just really try Edge without missing a lot of my regular browsing experience so... I'll have a look regardless.

Now to try all the new shiny buttons in the start menu!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Yeah, I was really impressed with Edge that I'm wanting to use it as my new browser (so I can get away from Chrome when I want to, ya know). But it doesn't have a standalone adblocking app. There *is* a way to do so, but it requires a change in the registry and I ain't gonna risk that crap.

Oh, and one thing I really, really, really love: click on the time & date on the lower right corner.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • After a few days trial and error, I finally got my Win 8.1 upgraded and dayum is Win 10 pretty! Lovin' the dark UI, and I'm delighted that the start menu has returned. Certainly have no regrets about upgrading from 8.1

I like the way a friend of mine phrased the differences between 8.1 and 10; "Windows 10 is like adulthood after the male adolescence of 8.1." Haha.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Cons:
    - The white title bar is too plain in terms of Windows interface, I wish I can change it to any color of my liking.
    - Shorter battery life (that might be one of the early bugs found before Windows 10 was released in public, so I hope it's fixed soon).
    - Speaking of Cortana, if you're not in USA, UK, German, Italy, Spain, France and China, you're out of luck because you can't use it (for a meantime).
    You forgot the worst, Windows 10 spies the user: http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

Ghost

[b][color=orange]ツ[/color][color=teal][i]In the Ma
    Years
  • Yeah, I was really impressed with Edge that I'm wanting to use it as my new browser (so I can get away from Chrome when I want to, ya know). But it doesn't have a standalone adblocking app. There *is* a way to do so, but it requires a change in the registry and I ain't gonna risk that crap.

Oh, and one thing I really, really, really love: click on the time & date on the lower right corner.

I love the simplicity of mostly the whole upgrade, it is very fluid and vibrant. I'm very happy to have the old windows 7 partly back and integrated into the start option. One of my dislikes would have to be how I'm not able to resize the start menu to make the width thinner since I made the apps width size and got rid of the single blocks to the side of that. It leaves it blank, I was under the impression I would be able to resize it.

Has anyone found a way to do that?

Years
  • Does anybody know if Windows 10 comes with a way to monitor data and what's using a lot of it? Because I've been finding just now that my internet speed has come to crawl compared to what it should be, and I didn't have this problem with Windows 8.1 at all.

And yes, I did disable peer updates, in case anyone was about to ask that.

Years
  • I know Windows 8 had a way to monitor usage, but was lacking, and I found it in WinX just today:

Start -> Settings -> Network and Internet -> Data usage

It provides it for the last 30 days, and if you're on a laptop, it'll show total data usage, color coded for WiFi and Ethernet. You can also click on Usage Details under the chart and it'll show a breakdown of what programs used what for data.
    Turns out it was just my network adapter (I bridge from my server's connection) and I reset that. Boom, back to normal!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I kept forgetting to upgrade to Windows 10 up until now, but after reading these posts about the problems each member is facing, I'm starting to have second thoughts, because I don't want my Skype conversations ruined by these trivial errors.

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Windows 10 hates me. Now, it closed Store whenever I tried to open it =/

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Windows 10 hates me. Now, it closed Store whenever I tried to open it =/

Have you restarted your computer? Sometimes, all it takes is a reboot.

Though, if a restart doesn't fix things up, consider rolling back to the previous update and reinstalling it - after making sure everything is in one piece!

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    The restart doesn't work. Guess removing and reinstalling the update is the last choice.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    The restart doesn't work. Guess removing and reinstalling the update is the last choice.

Mmm hmm. Remember that Windows 10 is still quite early in the wild, so do expect some things to break anyway.

I've moved on to Windows 10 again...the patient way. As in, I didn't jump the queue. The installation went much smoother this time around, and I don't have any permission errors! Yay!

The only thing I have to do is to reinstall two drivers that need to be reinstalled according to my laptop's manufacturer.

Years
  • Luckily, I didn't need to reinstall any drivers with my installation of Windows 10.. then again, was it because I was "wired" to the internet? :P

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Yeah, I keep it in mind about it. It still new and plenty of bugs going on

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • Finally downloaded Windows 10.It was good fast speed, fast browser, store etc. but the white bar in Browser really not looking decent.......it need to be changed to black again.......

Sir Codin

Uh, yeah, still don't have it. Still won't boot on my comp.

I'm sticking with Windows 8.1 on my desktop and Ubuntu on my laptop.

Back