• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Random Writing Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years

• Because we certainly don't need to flesh out a proper review every time we want to comment on a story, right? :3
    Correct!

There's been this misconception here for the longest time that you have to leave this extensive review in order to comment on a story. Short little, "Hey, I read your story! I really liked it!" comments are perfectly acceptable to me. I just want writers to know that people are reading since views don't exactly cut it.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
    Years
  • Correct!

There's been this misconception here for the longest time that you have to leave this extensive review in order to comment on a story. Short little, "Hey, I read your story! I really liked it!" comments are perfectly acceptable to me. I just want writers to know that people are reading since views don't exactly cut it.

Is it bad I felt like that >.>

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
    Years
  • Nah, I've never really been in FFW really. It's just something I've felt like for a while. I still have yet to leave any sort of review on any story because 1. I'm still not as experienced, so my advice isn't as great as I don't really catch things, and 2. I do most of my readig over on FanFiction.net. After looking through FFW a bit and using search, I'm fairly sure I'm the only Negima fanfic on PC (correct me if I'm wrong) so I don't got much I'd be interested in haha.

Pokemon forum with writing section + a disinterest in Pokemon based fanfic doesn't mix well.

In other words, aloha from school as I write a bit and wait for my midterm in 20 minutes.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    If you do read a story here, just make a post commenting on it in a not too generic way and the author will be so happy to know that they're seen 8)

It'll likely be a few days until I update mine again, I've got too much to do, welp. Unless I write a chapter when hungover, hrrm.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Nah, I've never really been in FFW really. It's just something I've felt like for a while. I still have yet to leave any sort of review on any story because 1. I'm still not as experienced, so my advice isn't as great as I don't really catch things, and 2. I do most of my readig over on FanFiction.net. After looking through FFW a bit and using search, I'm fairly sure I'm the only Negima fanfic on PC (correct me if I'm wrong) so I don't got much I'd be interested in haha.
    Don't worry about the quality of reviews. In my first review, I basically ended up telling the guy that they should tell, not show. Was it on purpose? No, but it was a little embarrassing looking back. The only way to get better at reviews is to read reviews left on other stories by other people, and to do some reviews yourself. I feel like I just recently improved a lot in my reviews. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm getting better with each critique.

We don't get a lot of original works or other fanfics. Well, we don't get a lot of stories to begin with, but we're getting better! Now if only people left comments and/or reviews...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Actually, is it really that wrong to "tell" instead of bothering to "show" sometimes? If it fits I sits, like if someone (the narrator, being a person) is telling you something because they want you to know it, not because it makes a good story, wouldn't it make sense to downright describe a person or a setting now and then?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Actually, is it really that wrong to "tell" instead of bothering to "show" sometimes? If it fits I sits, like if someone (the narrator, being a person) is telling you something because they want you to know it, not because it makes a good story, wouldn't it make sense to downright describe a person or a setting now and then?
    It depends on the story. If the narrator sometimes steps aside from the story and just talks with the reader, then it could work. However, if you're halfway through your story and all of a sudden you do that and then never do it again, it's out of place.

In other words, it does have a time and a place, but you have to specifically gear your story in a certain direction to get away with it. A good example is "A Series of Unfortunate Events". The story is constantly interrupted by the author so that he can explain silly things like what, "meanwhile, back at the barn" means. It actually adds a layer of humor to the story, and I quite enjoyed the style of it.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • At times in description it's even sometimes good to tell instead of show (e.g. She was dead.) - can be done well for effect. And too much showing (or purple prose) is bad too. The trick is to not tell all the time. And generally when someone needs improvement in description, it's more that they should show more, rather than tell more.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Ah, but then it should be okay when the narrator in my story decides to explain where the hell this whole thing takes place all of a sudden before he continues telling you what the characters are up to. Right? It's explained pretty well, I hope, within the story, why he does that. Oh god that use of commas. Ughrdd.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • As long as you make it clear. It does fit the style of your story, but don't slather it on too thick. You still want the reader engaged in the diary story.

And yes, commas are the bane of writers everywhere. :P

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    So, how much have you guys written lately?

I've still got a set path to work along with my Color story, so I've been working on it rather steadily, I'd say, without any writer's block. Not written much else though (except for an essay and a few lab reports, but). There's the occasional RP post, of course, but I'm never as careful with how I write those as I am with fics. In RPs, things need to be said and happen, they don't need to be the most perfect texts ever. Imo.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I haven't written much, if at all lately. I've been caught up with college and finals that are happening next week. I'm looking forward to writing once again once this whole quarter is over. I have my next project all planned out, I just need to start writing it.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Slayr, I am so anxious for you to finish this semester. I can only imagine how you feel, just counting down the days until you're done.

I haven't really written much. I started work on a new story, but the beginning wasn't sounding right to me, so I'm going to start fresh. All I've really done so far this month is write a page of one story and a few paragraphs of a short story. I'm hoping that will change this week, though. I'm going to have some more time to write starting tomorrow!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I've started uni again, so naturally I've been writing more. No, that isn't a typo. :V

It's the train trips, really. I have quite the commute there and back so if I'm not into a paper or coding (which can be fun, haha) or trying to sleep (or also just catching it with a friend who also lives far off), I write. And I can get a fair bit done when I'm in the groove with train trips, haha. May get a few (shorter) fics out as a result this year! Last year though it was just articles for the webzine I run, because especially in the 2nd half of the year things were very frantic, and I was writing more in the way of assignments and thesis drafts. >_>

But not so much writing in evenings on weekdays. Like today. Way too tired, but that's what happens when you combine uni with karate before coming home. :<

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It's good that you can use your train time like that :)

As for me, my pace of writing picks up when I really know what I want to write about... Aaaand when I really should be doing something else. It's like, Rika is active on PC = it's exam times.

MurkMire

[font=special elite][color=#FF3399]Toxic Terror[/c
    Years
  • Hello, hello, fellow writers. Pleasured to be here. It's been a long time for me since I've written anything of a story. Although, I DID have a Pokemon fanfic in development. Sadly, it only made it to two chapters... But, anyway! Current "topic."

So, how much have you guys written lately?

I actually wrote three poems. In one night. I'm thoroughly confused, as before I couldn't even begin to think where to start. But, in my Docs are three okay poems.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Oh man, poems. I've tried writing them out before, but I can only seem to do it when I'm emotionally charged. I have no idea how to critique them, and I have no idea how to write them. It's a shame. We did have a few good poets around, but then they disappeared. :(

MurkMire

[font=special elite][color=#FF3399]Toxic Terror[/c
    Years
  • Oh man, poems. I've tried writing them out before, but I can only seem to do it when I'm emotionally charged. I have no idea how to critique them, and I have no idea how to write them. It's a shame. We did have a few good poets around, but then they disappeared. :(

Then it looks like I'll have to take up that space. ;) It's good to be here. I'll definitely try to write more poetry.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back