• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Random Writing Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
  • I love instrumental music when I'm writing. Although, I'll still occasionally get caught up in the song too much. Maybe I should choose my songs more wisely, but there are a couple songs that I can't help but to stop and listen. Sorry writing, but this song is too good to pass up!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I love instrumental music when I'm writing. Although, I'll still occasionally get caught up in the song too much. Maybe I should choose my songs more wisely, but there are a couple songs that I can't help but to stop and listen. Sorry writing, but this song is too good to pass up!
    Haha, I do the same thing!

I do think it is easier to listen to music without words (or words I can't understand, heh) when writing, but I think I can manage fine with writing to lyrics too. Sometimes it just helps set a mood for me even if I pause to listen to parts.

Years
  • I can't write with any sort of music since it distracts me too much... 8( I'm the worst multitasker in the world without a doubt. Would've been fun to write with music, too, as it really does put me in the mood to write certain things depending on what I'm listening to!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I could write while having some music in the background, but that depends on its volume. If it's high, then I'd usually be distracted, which would wind up stalling me. If it's low, though, then that's not an issue at all. :) I'd say it's actually a good thing, as it helps make me feel relaxed. More relaxed I am, the better I'm able to think.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2014
    Um... Hello

I'm Kanon Shirogane, but you can call me Kanon.

I'm new to the forum, and I just posted something I've been working a few months ago that I wanted to revive. This is my first time getting involved in a writing forum like this.

My first fic I posted here is an original work called "Scarlet Vampire"

Anyway, hopefully we can be friends. Hopefully my writing isn't too terrible either.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Welcome to the section, Kanon! Where does the name come from, if I may ask?

Did you post your work on any other sites too? Forums can be different to the likes of, say, fanfictionnet.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Hay Kanon, it's always great to see new faces around here! How long have you been writing? Don't worry if your writing isn't the best, we're all here to become better writers, so we might as well learn together!

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2014
    I'm in high school and I've been writing since middle school, so nothing long or major.

My username is actually original, My favorite j-pop singer is Kanon Wakeshima, and my favorite video game character is Naoto Shirogane, so I combined the to into Kanon Shirogane. It has such a nice ring to it though, maybe I'll make it a pen name.

And I've posted once or twice on a forum long, long ago. But the writing wasn't very high quality because of a lack of experience and proof reading, so naturally, it didn't last long on that forum.

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    Hello, I'm thinking of posting a fanfiction here sometime, and I was wondering two things. First, can I post a story here even if it's on another site as well, as long as I don't post a link to the other site? Second, it says in the rules that any given chapter should be about 1,000 words. Is there a maximum length for a chapter as well? Thanks.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Hello, I'm thinking of posting a fanfiction here sometime, and I was wondering two things. First, can I post a story here even if it's on another site as well, as long as I don't post a link to the other site? Second, it says in the rules that any given chapter should be about 1,000 words. Is there a maximum length for a chapter as well? Thanks.
    First of all, welcome to FF&W! I hope you enjoy your stay.

To answer your questions, it's perfectly fine to post a story here that's already on another site. Just make sure that the actual story is here, and not just a link. So, you should be good!

And no, there isn't a maximum length. Truth be told, the 1,000 word rule is more of a strong suggestion rather than a concrete rule. It was a rule for a while, but let's not talk about those days. Those days are depressing.

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I've finished a lot of fics lately, and now I've never felt so relieved in my life. I was panicing because I didn't have the motivation to finish them off, but this week I've been off work because of an injury and I've done pretty much nothing but writing. Now I've got a big writing buzz now that I've finished them. Anyone else get that too?

ShivaDF, I crosspost my fics all the time. Though I don't always upload everything on other sites although everything apart from two fics are complete on ff.net, I have crossposted them on other sites but not all of the chapters. I have all of the chapters for my Blissey fic on FF.net, A03 and Serebii, but I think I'm up to eleven on this site.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I've finished a lot of fics lately, and now I've never felt so relieved in my life. I was panicing because I didn't have the motivation to finish them off, but this week I've been off work because of an injury and I've done pretty much nothing but writing. Now I've got a big writing buzz now that I've finished them. Anyone else get that too?
    I just finished one of my fics for the first time, all I need to do is edit it a bit, and it feels absolutely amazing! I didn't know you could feel so relieved! Now I just wish it turned out better.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • So I was digging around in my Google Drive for work-related reasons last night, and I found a couple of half-started stories that I'm considering posting here.

Gotta say though, it's crazy to see the number of new writers floating around. This place seems quite lively compared to back in the day.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • You guys and your.... finishedness. I envy you :p

@Misheard Whisper: Oh, found half-baked stories of old, eh? I know that feeling. I wish you the best of luck if you go with completing them, or retooling them.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • You guys and your.... finishedness. I envy you :p

@Misheard Whisper: Oh, found half-baked stories of old, eh? I know that feeling. I wish you the best of luck if you go with completing them, or retooling them.

Solovino, amigo! It's been too long. And yeah, I run across half-hearted attempts at writing every now and again. They're pretty rubbish by my standards of today, though, I'd need to rework them heavily.

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    It's very easy to start new fan fics, but harder to finish them. Makes me really appreciate fan fics and all the hard work that goes into them.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Agreed. I have a whole bunch of ideas for fics, but besides the whole writing-them-out process, they're not necessarily fully formed or sensible by themselves...

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Exactly. I had three different ideas for fanfics that I tried to write, but they just weren't going anywhere. No matter how much I twisted the plot around, I couldn't get the story to work. So I cut them to work on other projects that actually have workable ideas.

It hurts sometimes to make that decision to just quit on a story, but I find that there's no point in wasting time on an idea that won't go anywhere no matter how hard I try when there are ideas that are fully-formed and I know can work.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • It hurts sometimes to make that decision to just quit on a story, but I find that there's no point in wasting time on an idea that won't go anywhere no matter how hard I try when there are ideas that are fully-formed and I know can work.
    I definitely hear that. What's even worse is when you start writing and posting it before really thinking about where it's going to go. >_< That's the great thing about one-shots - if you ever post it you know it had a beginning, middle, and end.

Also hi again, folks. Things seem to have changed a bit since I was last around, like new mod for example. Good to meet you if we haven't already, Nolafus!

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    I only ever quit a fanfiction once, when I realized that I actually hated everything about the series it was for. Unfortunately I was already 43k words in >_< But quitting a story for a good reason doesn't make it a waste, because you still learn from it. I also think it's worth saving everything you write because sometimes a decade later you'll realize something you hated at the time was actually awesome.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back