• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Starter Pokémon

Years
When I played through Ruby for the very first time, little me picked Torchic because ... I don't actually remember haha I guess I just really liked fire types (after loving Charizard and Typhlosion) and thought Blaziken's design was pretty cool.

Nowadays I prefer Mudkip, and Swampert is actually one of my favourite starters! :> (Though I'm not too big a fan of its mega)

Years
The first time I played it, I chose Torchic, which is unusual, since I rarely take the fire starter in my first play through. I chose it for the simple reason that it was the cutest out of the three. I ended up regretting it when it evolved, because Blaziken is pretty ugly in my opinion.

Nowadays I prefer Treecko, although mostly for sentimental reasons and because Grovyle is cool. Mudkip is alright I guess, but eh. I never really used it much.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
In my first playthrough I went with Treecko, but in my most memorable playthrough/the one I actually finished the game in, I ended up trading and restarting the game numerous times to get a team of all the starters. It was the first time I had done so and it was a fun experience!

My favourite of the starters is still the Treecko line though. I really love their design and how they're so different to the previous Grass-type starters.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
i like mudkip before it was even a meme to liek mudkipz

even then treecko and torchic are awesome as well...before gen6 come along gen 3 starters are simply the best.

Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen May 9, 2019
I've played through the original hoenn games literally over 20 times and I chose mudkip every single one. Sapphire was my first pokemon game ever and I chose mudkip at the time. I think all 3 of them are really cool but mudkip was my first pokemon. Plus it's really useful in a region with so much water.

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Jul 9, 2015
Treecko's my favourite, but only as far as style goes. I prefer Mudkip and Torchic in terms of combat capabilities.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
Years
I picked up Sapphire first and chose Torchic as my starter. In my first completed playthough of Hoenn however I chose Mudkip, and it was strangely on Ruby (I was 7 and didn't understand I could start a new game when I was stuck in Sapphire). This Swampert was the first Pokémon I ever managed to level to 100 and I loved it to bits, it's since been lost to my friend deleting my save *cries*.

Jonaturnip

Tune Up the Turnips
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Apr 22, 2016
I chose Mudkips because my brother chose Treecko and for some reason I was against using Fire types at all.( Mainly because my brother liked them). I called it McKipper ( I never did let that thing evolve.)

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 23
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
I chose Treecko even tho I am not a big fan of his. I chose him for Grovyle, who has a badass design ^_^

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
For me:
Treeko: SUCKS and all its evolutions SUCK. Sorry if i offended anybody.
Mudkip: AWSUM. SWAMPERT - SUPER AWSUM.
Torchic: Meh but Blaziken- SUPER DOOPER AWSUM.

So... it was a tough choice between torchic and mudkip for me. I usually get mudkip (I've played sapphire and emerald billions of times)

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I chose Mudkip on my initial play, but I don't recall naming him anything.
Though I nicknamed my Torchic, Chamo, based on Sapphire's from Pokémon Adventures and Zuzu the Mudkip based on Ruby's from Pokémon Adventures on my Hoenn games re-runs.

Years
Having just restarted the one sapphire game I could find here, I shall answer this again.

I went with Treecko this time around. For some reason the thought of having a Sceptile was really tempting, not sure why but it was, so come here little grass gecko I will train you and we shall have awesome adventures.

(Although even so far I'm finding myself wishing I had a fire type, maybe I should have picked Torchic. :P But nah. I think I'll be good.)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 25, 2016
Treeko because he is personally my favorite starter pokemon and I didn't nickname him anything

Back