• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Starter Pokémon

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When you first arrive in Littleroot Town, you get taken into your home to talk with your mother and set your clock up, After a few other small events, you finally get to visit a route, and as soon as you do, you see Professor Birch being chased by either a Zigzgoon or Poocheyna (depending on whatever game you happen to be playing). Once you do, Birch calls you to check his bag and select from a range of three Poké Balls, so that you would be able to fight the Pokémon off and rescue him. These Poké Balls contain the starter Pokémon if Hoenn, which would be Treecko, Mudkip, and Torchic. First one grass, second is water, and as for third it's fire.

Anyway, which one did you wind up selecting, and why? Did you ever wind up nicknaming? If so, what name did you give?

Years
I picked Torchic, because I love Fire starters that aren't named Fennekin. And of course, I picked it for its overpoweredness. As for the name, I named it Fowl Smell.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Torchic i always use the fire or water type and torchic was just cuter and it is prob the most popular of them

Years
I went for Mudkip, due to my tendency to get the Water starter, and it was cool how on my very first playthrough I got a female on the first try, even before I knew of female starters being rare. It's also the cutest one imo.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
Years
I actually chose Torchic the first time around because I had a great impression of fire types after Charizard from RBY. While Blaziken was by no means bad, it was actually quite the beast, I tend to gravitate towards Mudkip because while I detest Marshtomp's design with a passion, Swampert does look pretty cool, and apart from that 4x grass weakness, it does have decent stats and quite the movepool. I remember muddy water, it was my most spmmable move in double battles, and my saving grace on more than a few occasions.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
First time around I chose Torchic. I was always big on the Fire starters as a kid and Torchic was no exception. Blaziken is my second favorite Fire-type, so I can say I went wrong.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Mudkip. As much as I like Torchic's line I went with Mudkips cause it offered the most of the three. I've had experience with all 3 but Mudkip was the most useful, especially against the electric gym leader.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Although ive always used mudkip or torchic in Ora's i plan on using sceptile one to mix it up and he gets a dual type!

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
Years
I choose Torchic as my starter and i name it Hot Leg...he been serving me well in pokemon battle, he's my most strongest pokemon in my team...

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
As for myself, I wound up selecting Torchic first time around. Back then, I've always thought fire-type to be the strongest, so it was my immediate pick from get-go. Plus, it was also a pretty cute Pokémon in general, which just put icing on the cake.

In my second run, I wanted to try something different and chose Mudkip. I wound up not liking it so much at first, but the Pokémon eventually grew on me, and when it had finally evolved into Swampert, I was super-impressed by its overall strength and whatnot. It was able to endure a ton of hits, and hit back even harder. It also had access to quite a few moves that it's able to take nice advantage of, which made me like it even more.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 7, 2014
First time round i chose torchic just because i always end up choosing the fire starter. When it evolved into a blaziken i thought it was the best starter ever. My favourite gen 3 starter now is probably mudkip though.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 7, 2014
When I first got Ruby I chose Treecko because it reminded me of my Iguana LOL.
Now I always choose Mudkip because Water has always worked for me the best as a starter. I tried Torchic but I just don't like it's other 2 evolutions.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
I picked Treecko! It was because I thought while water beats fire, grass was just there and wasn't weak or strong against both fire or water. Although I was wrong I certainly didn't regret choosing him! I was so amazed when he evolved into Grovyle and eventually Sceptile, they had awesome designs. Not to mention Leaf Blade is the best grass move yet ;P

Years
Only go Mudkip/Torchic to trade to my (of the moment) Treecko file. Rarely nickname my starters. False Swipe, Leaf Blade, Dragon Claw/Breath are too good.

Laylaw

"Smell ya later!" - Blue
Years
I picked Treecko and named it: "Kyo" I think. I always loved that little green thing and most other grass starters.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
Oh yay! A starter thread! I love answering these ^_^~*

I think the first time I ever played like 3rd Gen, I chose Mudkip! A friend always used to tell me Water-Type starters, were uh- the best, so I went along with it back then. xD As of now, I mostly choose Torchic. I don't really have a least picked starter! I promise, I'm not lying! I like all of them, but I guess I really like Blaziken's signature move Blaze Kick. Idk but Muddy Water's accuracy was just a no for me ^^;

Oh, and Talli that's actually a really funny and cool name, lol. I might just name my Torchic that the next time I restart my Sapphire, hehe >:3~

Back