• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Starter Pokémon

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 19, 2017
I've always either picked mudkip or torchic for the starter. I've never picked treecko..ever

Years
The first time I played Sapphire I had picked Mudkip because I had always gravitated towards water starters. I feel like water starters always helped most with the first few gyms. Mud kips evolutions were pretty cool, and I loved that it was both water and ground making it immune to electric attacks. I'm currently replaying Emerald and picked Torchic this time because I feel like its hard to find good fire pokemon in any game... Or at least when you do it's mid-late game. I'm super happy with my fire choice ^_^

Years
I definitely remember choosing Mudkip when I first played through Sapphire, although I couldn't remember what I chose when I played through Ruby and Emerald (despite the fact that I can still check on the latter and look :P)

Years
In my very first R/S/E playthrough I went with a Mudkip. I didn't train anything else except my starter and he really did kick butt! Afterwards I started choosing Treecko more because I loved Sceptile and spamming its Leaf Blade, heh.

Years
I got Treecko, I used to always choose the grass type starters, so I assumed I should continue with that, in that run I never beat it, but I beat Tate & Liza and got my Sceptile to level 92 before restarting and choosing Mudkip, I always have chosen Mudkip since that, and have never used a Torchic.

SapphireMillennium

The Legend of Hoenn
Years
Mudkip. Always a Mudkip girl. I think Swampert's typing/movest is great. Plus, Mudkip is super cute, and my favorite Water type starter. ^^

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
On Ruby in 2003, I chose Treecko, mainly due to my love of Grass pokemon back in the day. However, in Sapphire, I saw it pointless to choose Treecko again, so I ended up choosing Mudkip, which was the first Water starter I chose.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
In my first run of Emerald, I do recall using Treecko, because it's the only Pokémon among these three that can drain its opponent's HP (as expected for a Grass-type Pokémon), and I like its Leaf Blade animation. I forgot if I have nicknamed it or not, though.

Years
I went with Treecko in Ruby...but I also didn't really have to choose because I had a friend help me trade over the other two starters for my initial playthrough. Treecko was always my primary starter/Pokemon, though, and I still have him (as a Sceptile) now.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 27, 2014
I went with Torchic at the time, so once I have OR/AS I think I'll choose Torchic again.

KamikazeSSoH

Gym leader of São Paulo,brazi
Years
First time Mudkip because at that time. all my friends was whit Torchic but every other time it was whit Treecko and this last time i played was whit Torchic. and the name is indeed Kendrow.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
I chose Torchic as first pokemon, cause it looked interesting and cute and to be honest i didnt knew that time that torchic evolves into bblaziken eventually, and i was glad when it evolved into blaziken later and cuts weakness to ground type, being a fighting type.

Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2021
I have played with all the starters at least once. But I always go for Treecko cuz I think it's cool!

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I chose Mudkip for my first playthrough, and it's by far my favorite Hoenn starter, so I generally choose it over the others. I've always gone with water starters on my main file for any generation/pair of games, so that made Mudkip the obvious choice. I always nickname my starter the same thing as my player character, out of tradition.

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2018
First game, first time playing and I picked Torchic. I always liked the look of the fire types before I started playing, and this was no exception (seriously, that little thing is adorable).
On the second playthrough I used Mudkip, as a adored Swampert's design. There was a choice I didn't regret - Swampert destroyed absolutely everything.
I followed the same pattern with Emerald until finally giving Treecko a go. I was pretty happy with Grovyle, being the only second stage that doesn't look downright silly AND being pretty great visually, although, being perfectly honest, I was kind of upset when it evolved, Sceptile just wasn't the same.
Of all of them I definitely think Treecko is the most difficult to use, although it seems to have become more useful in subsequent generations with that Physical/Special split.

Never really was one for renaming.

Years
Either Treecko or Torchic, I don't know.
They don't seem to be as great as they are in later generations, mostly due to the new system of physical and special moves in those generations. Regardless, Blaziken kicks ass, so yeah... I'll go with that. Oh, and Torchic is the cutest, at least in my opinion.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 10, 2015
Teecko every time, all the time. (Except for when I need mudkip and torchic for breeding.)
But when Gen 3 came out, it was (and still is) my favorite gen, and I restarted the games constantly, consistently picking Treecko.
(I like grass starters... Yes, I'm one of those people. D: )

Years
I love Grass types, and this is probably the only time that I found the grass type starter to be cuter than both the other starters. I love Bulbasaur, but Charmander and Squirtle are too cute, and Chespin came close, but the blue on Froakie is too pretty and Fennekin is just flat-out adorable. Foxes are my favorite animal, and while Vulpix is good, Fennekin is amazing!

So in the end, yay Treecko!

Back