• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ps4 or Xbox 1

You decide!

• Total voters

pkmin3033

I think it's still far too early to tell which one will be the better console. Both of them have some pretty solid HD remasters and some good exclusives already, but their libraries are still pretty poor when compared to the previous generation, and I still don't see either one as particularly memorable. The HD remasters can be obtained far cheaper on the previous generation, and the exclusives, whilst good, aren't particularly noteworthy. In terms of accessibility, now that you need a PS+ subscription to play online on the PS4, they're about the same.

That said, based on the immediate future I've gone with the PS4, because I know it'll have more JRPGs than the Xbone barring some sort of catastrophic miracle, which is what appeals to me. I don't like the Xbone's controller, and historically I've always preferred Sony consoles to Microsoft ones. PS4 has Omega Quintet and Hyperdimension Neptunia VII, which is more than can be said for Xbone, and Bloodborne looks appealing as well. I think, on balance, it'll have the better exclusives, because historically that's always been the case. PS2 was better than Xbox, and PS3 was better than Xbox360. Stands to reason PS4 will be better than Xbone. But it's still anyone's game.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • PS4. Now and forever for me.
    Unless XBone gets miraculous injection of J-games, which due to horrendous sales of XBone in Japan will most likely not happen, XBone will not have games that would interest me.
    And as Meloetta already mentioned, PS4 in 2015 will finally get the games it deserves.
    That's for future.

And as for now, while the libraries are very sparse, Transistor is more than anything XBone could offer to me. And unless I could use Dualshock with XBone, I couldn't use it.
    The controller is just too weird.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Why not both? If only this were a perfect world.

If I had to choose though I'd go with PS4 hands down. I've always preferred playstation because the only appeal the xbox has is it's exclusives, and I don't even usually like the exclusives that they have. Playstation just has so much more to offer.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • Between the Xbox One and PS4 (a.k.a. PS Death), I decided that I like the Xbox One more. Plus I have been saving money to buy one. Plus I tend to like Microsoft consoles more than Sony consoles. Plus another reason why I am leaning more towards the Xbox One is because Microsoft actually has its headquarters in Washington State, where as Sony does not have any offices or distribution centers in Washington State.

Years
  • Wii U

I've always been more of a PlayStation person, having owned all PlayStations, so I'm gonna vote for PS4. I usually like PS exclusives more than Xbox exclusives, usually for the reasons Satoshi Ookami mentioned (J-games and stuff). The DualShock controllers are my favorite controllers since I've used them for so long, and the DualShock 4 feels amazing. I've never really liked Xbox controllers, they've always felt too bulgy for me :(

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I vote PS4 because I've been a Playstation guy for my whole life, so I'm mostly used to playing it and I generally am more interested in the PS4 exclusives anyway.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I believe one of the main reasons why most people in this thread - and probably just in general - prefer one controller over the other is constant usage of a single controller over a long period of time. If you're a long time PlayStation owner, then it makes complete sense that the DualShock controller feels natural and the Xbox controller feels foreign. As a long term Xbox enthusiast, I'm the complete opposite - I love the Xbox controllers but the PlayStation ones feel too small for my hands. In the end, it's moreover just which controller or system you associate yourself with more which will sway your preference (as it has mine.)

Between the Xbox One and PS4 (a.k.a. PS Death), I decided that I like the Xbox One more. Plus I have been saving money to buy one. Plus I tend to like Microsoft consoles more than Sony consoles. Plus another reason why I am leaning more towards the Xbox One is because Microsoft actually has its headquarters in Washington State, where as Sony does not have any offices or distribution centers in Washington State.

That last reason is such a bizarre reason lol.

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2017
    I own both consoles, despite being a predominately PC focused gamer lately. I will have to cast my vote in favor of the PS4. I find that the PS4 has a better user interface and controller. I don't have particularly large hands, so the Xbox controller has never fit comfortably in my grip. The Xbox user interface also seems to closely mirror the Windows 8 design, which I have a notably difficult time navigating. All in all, I think the PS4 is a slightly better package, whose parent company isn't quite as busy trying to swindle us.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • I own both consoles, despite being a predominately PC focused gamer lately. I will have to cast my vote in favor of the PS4. I find that the PS4 has a better user interface and controller. I don't have particularly large hands, so the Xbox controller has never fit comfortably in my grip. The Xbox user interface also seems to closely mirror the Windows 8 design, which I have a notably difficult time navigating. All in all, I think the PS4 is a slightly better package, whose parent company isn't quite as busy trying to swindle us.

Microsoft isn't trying to swindle you. Maybe it came across that way at the beginning, but that's not the case now - it was moreover just a misunderstanding. The company has pulled a complete 180 PR related since it's E3 reveal a few years ago and has been completely community driven since there. Month after month, CEO PHil Spencer listens to the community and creates monthly updates that shapes the Xbox One to the needs and wants of the Xbox One gaming community, something that I can't really say that the PS4 has been consistent with. Since the release, I can tell you that updates have included snap mode which allows you to put Pandora or Achievement guides on your screen while you're playing, customized backgrounds, easy game recordings with a simple voice command or double click of a button, increase of ways in community engagement via social media apps, and so much more. The beginning of the month is easily my favorite part of the month as that's when each monthly update rolls out (the one for March included tile transparency for our games and apps so our customizable backgrounds could be seen which was pretty sweet.)

True, the Windowz 8 OS that the Xbox One uses is a little bit clunky, but two solutions exist/are in the works which solves that: the Kinect and Windows 10. The Kinect, unlike for the Xbox 360, is an absolute god send; users can navigate their games, apps, system power, recordings, video pause and resumes, and much more via simple voice commands and it makes navigating so silky smooth on the system. It's hard to explain to a person who probably hasn't had any experience using that type of navigation before, but believe me when I say that once you do start using it it's like crack and you won't want to stop. But like you said, Windows 8's tile layout is clunky and Microsoft has addressed and admitted to that being the case. That's actualiy why Microsoft skipped Windows 9 and went right to Windows 10 so they could just forget about that OS version. Windows 10 is supposed to have easier navigation and many more functions than the current OS has, and thankfully it will be transitioning over to the Xbox One piece by piece. So although it may appear to you that the OS of the Xbox One may se clunky, it's actually not as bad as you think as there are great alternatives in place which will only be improving as the months pass by.

Call me Gamma

Dusty Old Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2017
    I still have to side with the PS4. I was able to upgrade the hard drive size without voiding the warranty. There is no bulky block attached to the power cord. When you turn off the PS4, it actually turns off. The Xbox One simply goes into sleep mode. This matters to me because I have an electric bill to consider. Maybe I'm allowing my age to factor into my opinion, because I don't do "lets plays" or utilize most of the additional features that consoles offer now. I miss when you didn't need the internet to play games, and I don't really care for the online functionality of either console. I want my gaming consoles to just play games. I have my computer for everything else. I think both the Xbox One and PS4 are fine systems with an admirable array of features. However, I find the functionality and practicality that the PS4 represents to be more desirable to me. Maybe the Xbox One will become more user friendly in the future, but until then, I'll be using it as a Netflix box for my kids.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • i've always preferred playstation, so ps4 for me. my boyfriend is the same way. i just love the graphics and how the system has the exclusive naughty dog games.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Personally I got a PS4 because I'm looking to purchase games like Persona 5, and I already got Kingdom Hearts, but the Xbox One is shaping up to be pretty good too.

What I would recommend is to take a look at the games that are going to be for each console and make your decision based on them, like again, for my case I'm really into Persona and they're exclusive to the Sony consoles, but for the Xbox One, you can maybe get games like Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall, and Halo 5. Again, it's up to your preference. o:

Years
  • As I have said before the Xbox One does have exclusive games that are not shooters. According to this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_games, there are 25 exclusives that are not shooters.

I think it's just a general perception for gamers that the Xbox mainly has shooters for their game library because I personally see that console as one for social gamers, those who enjoy playing with others.

With that said, I'm mainly a solo player and I've grown up with the PlayStation brand ever since PS so that's where my alliance lies. Bias aside though, the exclusives and games that have been released have attracted my attention more than those on Xbox. Mainly talking about the JRPGs and I've never been happier with my decision in getting the PS4 for this generation. Definitely looking forward to the games that will be brought to the system over the next few years, especially Final Fantasy XV, which I have been waiting for since 2006.

Night Watcher

Hotdog MAn
    Years
  • The only thing that's keeping me from buying a PS4 or any PS console is how safe my data is.

I've heard that PS3 and 4 have free online services (which made me almost want to buy one instead of an Xbox 360 or Xbox 1) but with the exception that some people could hack into my account. I don't want that happening since I have about 100 dollars worth of DLC.

And I rather pay 10 each month for online and be safe, then not pay and lose all my data.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I've heard that PS3 and 4 have free online services (which made me almost want to buy one instead of an Xbox 360 or Xbox 1) but with the exception that some people could hack into my account. I don't want that happening since I have about 100 dollars worth of DLC.
    PS4 requires PS+ for online features.
    Depending what you exactly mean by online services, though.

As I have said before the Xbox One does have exclusive games that are not shooters. According to this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_games, there are 25 exclusives that are not shooters.
    And most of them aren't released yet o.O

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • I'm not gonna go all deep mode and explain my reasons of my choice, but I'll just pick /playsation as I'm a PS gamer myself. I could go all deep on you guys but I just don't feel like it.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • I'm not gonna go all deep mode and explain my reasons of my choice, but I'll just pick /playsation as I'm a PS gamer myself. I could go all deep on you guys but I just don't feel like it.

I'm going to push you to explain (; Why do you prefer the PlayStation consoles over the other competition?

Back