• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Voltorb Flip!

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
  • As you may know, in HG/SS they replaced the slot machine with the voltorb flip. Did you like the fact that there is no slot machine? Do you hate the fact you can't buy coins? Whats your highest level acheived? Do you actually use the memo? And any tips you have for this game for future players? Discuss! Personally, I hate the change, atm I only have 350 coins after hours of work...
    EDIT: Make that 1500, i got some more after leveling to lvl 5

Tips other people have given us:
    Spoiler:

If I missed any, notify me.

Last edited:

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    I think it would be better if we could play the slots as well plus being able to buy coins :D

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Did you like the fact that there is no slot machine?
    It didn't mind to me because I would buy my coins

Do you hate the fact you can't buy coins?
    YES I DO!, I really didn't like the fact that they got rid of that FEATURE!. Thats how I got all of my prizes to begin with, earning coins through the game took forever

Whats your highest level acheived?
    Level.....I forgot so I'm going to say level 2

Do you actually use the memo?
    Nope

And any tips you have for this game for future players?
    Just don't blow a fuse, it is not worth getting mad over

:t354:TG

phonastik

Strange Quark
    Years
  • I love Voltorb Flip. Yes, I used to buy coins to get prizes, but it's easy to rack up coins with the game. I managed to get 10000 coins to buy Ice Beam after only about 2 hours.
    I use the memo when I know that a card is definitely a Voltorb or a 1, so I don't accidentally touch it.

I've managed to get up to around level 6.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • Did you like the fact that there is no slot machine? Not really.

Do you hate the fact you can't buy coins? A bit, but I'm pro at this game so I get like 4-5k coins easily :3 (later levels give like 500+ coins per round)

Whats your highest level acheived? 8. I heard it's maximum level you can achieve as well.

Do you actually use the memo? Yes. It's very helpful.

And any tips you have for this game for future players? Look online. I'm usually terrible at giving directions :S

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • I don't care that there are no slot machines. I never used them.

I care that you can't buy coins. That's just stupid. But I like playing Voltorb Flip so it's alright I guess.

mrcroconaw

That Croconaw
    Years
  • Did you like the fact that there is no slot machine?
    Actually, I hated the fact that there weren't any slot machines. In Fire Red, when I played slots; I had a really good eye when it came to getting the jackpot. I could easily get myself whatever Pokemon I wanted from the game corner. I'm really sad the slot machine isn't there.

Extremely. You know how much I wanted that Dratini, and how much money I had? A lot. And that Flamethrower TM? AGH. But no; instead I have to play up to 2500 coins, then 10000. I think. :P

Level 7. I was surprised I could even get there; but I'm not so lucky as to get to any higher levels. >_> The worst part about it was that after I got there, I had to flip over at least 7 panels to stay on level 7; but no. I flipped over a Voltorb on my first one.

The memo is actually the only way I play the game. I found this whole guide on the Voltorb Flip, and it says to use the memo in certain ways; and it's helped me a lot. I still hate playing the game though. >_> The only reason I had done it that long was specifically because of getting a Dratini/Flamethrower TM.

Look up a tutorial for the game. Voltorb Flip is an unforgivable buttface.

Pokemon_Tutor

Pokemon .Tweeter
    Years
  • I hated playing Voltorb Flip. v.v
    The highest I got to was level three, and I only played it to get 2100 coins for Dratini.
    It wouldn't of been so bad if you could buy a couple of coins.
    To me, it didn't feel like the traditional Pokémon Game Corner, so I was disappointed.
    I think they could of done a lot better, or made the game simpler.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
  • I hate voltorb flip its not fun at all and it gets to me that i can't win! I went to the game corner like two or three times and never looked back lol

Did you like the fact that there is no slot machine?
    Definetly. I love playing slots hehe :knockedou

Yeah, call me a cheater but i always bought coins instead of playing slots if i wanted something (sometimes it takes a while for me)

sadly I am not that good at voltorb flip, I'm usually the one flipping out. Level 3 :\

I do but it doesn't really help

Good luck!

[T]ouko

Dedicated Scripter!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2013
    I kinda liked it, actually. Then it became frustrating, then I found something called the Voltorb Flip Calculator, that way you can earn a lot :P

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • Honestly, i use a website that solves it for you. Sometimes its right, sometimes it wrong, but that site has gotten me up to level 8 so far! I hate that you cant buy coins though. That really pisses me off... :/

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I loooove Voltorb Flip. I would never ever use slots, I hated them and thought they were a major waste of time. I didn't want to spend my money on buying coins either so I just never got anything from the Game Corner. But in this game I play Voltorb Flip just because I enjoy the game.

The notepad imo is only useful when there's either a 1 or a Voltorb behind it, I mark both so that way I know I don't have to touch them.

As for tips? Look for rows that add up (number + voltorbs) to the amount of cards in the row first. A five card row with a total of 4 and 1 Voltorb? Everything in that row is useless to winning.

Technician

Aerial Ace
    Years
  • I love Voltorb Flip. HGSS was honestly the only game where I would actually try playing in the Game Corner. I've gotten up to level 4 or 5 before, and I usually only do it to get a Dratini.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I never played Voltorb Flip. It annoyed me to no end that you can't buy coins because that's what I did in the other games. Since I never played the slot machines either, I have no way of comparing the two.

But yeah, not being able to buy coins sucked the big one... I had to hoard Ice Beam and Thunderbolt TM's in Platinum and trade them over to my Soul Silver...

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    I both love and hate Voltorb Flip. It's fun to play and allows you to buy useful items/TMs, but on the other hand it's extremely annoying and I've never gotten past level 2.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • I use the memo, it's the key to getting far.

I almost always get to 5, my farthest ever is 8. Right now I am on 6 so I might get to that again. :3

Edit: Just kidding I guess. >_>

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I hate this game that I off my ds after I played 1 round of it.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Voltorb Flip Tutorial
    Hey guys, I figured I would just make a simple tutorial for you all. This tutorial will be on Level 3 - so you can still rack up a pretty decent amount of coins if you keep dying on 4.

Here are a few small notes:
    • The memo pad is the key to winning. Do not just do it in your head, you'll get confused and make mistakes.
    • Voltorb Flip is still luck, sometimes it will just trick you. But this tutorial will use chance to your advantage.
    • If you're stuck, look at every single tile and determine which one has the lowest probability of being a Voltorb.
    • Rows where the Voltorb number is hired than the sum of numbers, or they are close are high risk. Try to avoid them.
    • I will be refering to rows as "S-V" or "Sum - Voltorb." So, as you can see the second horizontal row in mine has a sum of 7 and 1 Voltorb, so it is row 7-1. If two rows have the same, I will say if they are horizontal or vertical.
    • Feel free to ask any questions.

The tutorial is picture-based, and all the pictures will be in spoilers.

First off, here is level 3.
    Spoiler:

Now, the first step is to look at all the colored side-tiles that show how many Voltorbs and numbers are in a row. The bottom number next to the Voltorb image is how many are in that row. The number above is how what the numbers in the row add up to. You want to mark off all rows where the two numbers add up to 5, and flip over all tiles in rows with 0 Voltorbs.
    Spoiler:

We have some numbers now! Look to see if any of the numbers in the 0 rows will complete a row. Luckily for us, we have one. On the bottom, row "4-2" has a 2 in it. That means that there can only be two 1s and two Voltorbs, so there you do not need to flip up any more tiles there. So mark them off using the memo pad.
    Spoiler:

Uh oh! Now we have no more rows that are already completed! Looks like it's time to play with chance. Look at your side rows together. Find where rows where there are low Voltorb numbers connect. Those spots have the lowest chance of having a Voltorb in them.
    Spoiler:

Oops, it's a one! Well, that's better than a Voltorb by far. Luckily for us, the row is a high number - 8. That means the two remaining tiles are not Voltorbs and are higher than 1. So flip those tiles over.
    Spoiler:

Woo! Completing the row 8-1 on the bottom helped to completed rows 5-1 horizontal and 4-3 on the side. Since the only number row 5-1 horizontal can have in it is one 2 and 3 ones, mark off that row. Row 4-3 can have either two 2s or one 3 and one 1, but since we found a 3 in it that means the only remaining tiles are a one and Voltorbs, so mark them all off.
    Spoiler:

There are only two spots left! Look at the bottom rows 6-1 and 5-1 vertical, both have no revealed numbers and both have one spot left. That automatically means that the two remaining spots are numbers, so flip them over and you will have won level 3!
    Spoiler:

I hope this helps some of you! ^_^

Back