• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Voltorb Flip!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • I can't believe they gave us the Voltorb flip, I really dislike it, I wish there were slots and a way to purchase coins, it was much simpler that way, but nooooooo they want us players to grind for it! XP
    It's less they wanted us to grind and more they had to.

Japan got the slots but as the games were being rated for western shores they faced either having to remove the slots for the current game rating, or keep it in and have it bumped to something to the tone of PG-11 or 13. =/ Just because of the slots! That would have likely hurt sales and as Europe gambling laws already required the slots to be out for Platinum, they replacd it with Voltorb Flip. Which is better than what they did for Europe's Platinum as the replacement there was 'press A on machines and you might get a few coins - no game at all!'.

Note that Voltorb flip although it doesn't allow you to buy coins doesn't allow you to lose coins if you lose the game which gets around the whole gambling issue.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • That does make sense, so if there were no slots in the generations before, the ratings would have remained at G therefore there could have been a chance that they could have sold more copies of the past gen just because of some slots! lol

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Yeah, Australia got a slight bump to G-8 for Platinum (Australia didn't get slots removed thankfully for that game). However the ratings just got worse recently - it hadn't been an issue at all prior to Platinum. =/

Never mind that Pokemon is a sort of like gambling too, with the whole getting money for winning part. =p Buuut that's another topic.

How hard have people found Voltorb flip? I found it hard only when I was still figuring it out for myself (having never played minesweeper and all and ignoring any tutorials before trying it) but afterwards I found it preetty simple to get a hold of. Still fun though imo.

Years
  • quoted for the truth.

I agree, getting upto level 5 is cakewalk, but for level 6 and above you need some luck to get going....
    whats the highest level you've reached?

Buh.... 6. Or mayyybe 7. Not sure. From level 5 onwards it sort of goes from 80% deduction and 20% guesswork, to 60% guesswork and 40% deduction, and sometimes even worse. The game would be perfect if you could, with suitable mind-bending, figure out any possible Flip combination. But hey, it's not exactly a focus of Pokemon, and like I said it's infinitely better than gambling coins. Or just buying coins and cashing them in immediately.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • It's been about a year since I even last touched the Voltorb Flip lol. I hated it, I remember you could get a Dratini early on in the game on the older games, so I was like "oh no problemo, I can just buy some coins!" But noooooooooo, I ran into the Voltorb Flip. Grrr. But I was determined to get that Dratini xD I spent about a good few hours on it. (I didn't feel like waiting until the Dragons Den to get Dratini lol)

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I hate this game, it can go die in a hole.

It is so annoying that I am forced to play it to get coins, because they were too stupid to include the ability to purchase coins. It's all to hard for poor me, I just have to get my TMs from Pearl.

Years
  • Did you like the fact that there is no slot machine?
    I didn't really play them a whole lot in the first place, but I was upset that they removed them from the game.

Do you hate the fact you can't buy coins?
    Yes, I did hate this. I'm decent enough that I can earn a fair amount of coins through playing, but it is quite time-consuming to do that.

What's your highest level acheived?
    I know that I got to level 5 at least twice, but I got bumped down a few levels after one attempt each time.

Do you actually use the memo?
    Yes I do, but not neccessarily in the proper way. If I know that it is either a Voltorb or a 1, I mark it as a Voltorb and just avoid it.

And any tips you have for this game for future players?
    The only tip I have is to utilize the memo. If I didn't use this, I probably wouldn't have got past level 2 or 3.

Last edited:
    Years
  • People complaining that you can no longer buy coins, and someone in particular calling Game Freak "stupid" for apparently not remembering they let you do it before. Allowing you to buy coins is just an admission that the minigame is very unfair. It was with the coin slot machines prior to Platinum. In Platinum it was just a drip-feed. In HG/SS the game is a reasonable blend of skill and chance.

It's really quite simple. Either ignore the coin-related prizes.

Or. Learn. Addition.

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
    Years
  • I don't really like Voltorb Flip. The slots were better (although I didn't play them much), and I always bought coins whenever I "farmed" for money.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • I love Voltorb Flip. It's a puzzle that's only a little luck-based and it's very addictive once you get hang of it. I've gotten to level 8 on many occasions.

I made a rather detailed Voltorb Flip guide a while ago, for those of you who are having problems with it.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I think the farthest I've reached was level 3 or 4, and it didn't take me long to fall back down. It really is annoying, this game. n__n

DexHolderBlue

The Sneaky Thief
    Years
  • I. Hate. It.

I can never get past the second level. And I hate the fact that you can't buy coins. That was pretty much the only thing I didn't like about HG/SS. ~.~

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • After about an hour of playing, I've learned how to reach level 8 without luck standing in my way (If they do, then I still usually go up to at least level 4). After you learn the strategies behind this game, it's not that of a hard game.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I don't mind the fact that the slot machines are gone. Voltorb Flip, IMO, is a much better game than those rigged slots (yes, they ARE rigged. I tested it with 5% speed and it deliberately tries to make you lose half the time by randomly delaying your controls). The fact that you can't buy coins doesn't bother me much either, because you have to grind for the money anyways (if the game even has the Vs. Seeker).

Last edited:

PelipperMail

Banned
    Years
  • Try reaching levels 4-8. Those pay out coins by the hundreds.

Haha, that was my original intention. But I think I've figured it out now; I have 4000 coins now (need 8,100 more coins...). I thought I needed to get Flamethrower, but as it turns out Vulpix learns it at lv24 anyway. ^_^ So now I only need Thunderbolt for Ampharos.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
  • I've updated the first post with the tips people gave us.
    Also, I guess most of us never did use the slots... I used to use those in Sapphire, but never got much, despite getting the jackpot thrice. We're probably just sad we can't buy coins anymore.... but overall, I actually like voltorb flip. Requires brainpower instead of luck, better than dumb luck IMO.

EDIT: Sorry dragonfree, forgot your tip. Added ^^.

Last edited:
    Back