• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The EU Referendum

pkmin3033

What kind of fucked-up alternate universe did I wake up to this morning?

Well, if nothing else, the next few days are going to be verrrry interesting, and I'm going to wish more and more I didn't study business at University as I'm actually going to understand most of it...

Years
Hello, world recession! I feel really bad for all the young people of the UK who had so many old people ruin their future.

Also, everyone welcome Scotland as a new independent nation.

Lokiepie

ooh...Cake!
Years
Well I just woke up to a great number of depressing articles on my laptop screen. Guess the decision was made, looks like we are gonna have to sit back and watch as things unfolds. It is painful to look at the vote map... a perfect area of yellow in Scotland, then we hit the border. This isn't gonna play out well. And Boris won...

Despite their claims to help the NHS, a few quotes which the leave party leaders made ie 'people would value the NHS more if they had to pay for it' now have free lead. The sad thing is, its not sodding free. We do pay for it taxes. Guess our generation will see a lot of new things play out.

Last edited:

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
Years
We took Britain back! (to the dark ages.)

Proof my country is run by xenophobes, racists and idiots.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
It's happened. It's actually happened. Most of us are in shock here. I guess I have been living in a bubble called London compared to the rest of the country if that's how the majority really feels.

Years
Well Prime Minister David Cameron just announced he's stepping down and resigning in 3 months. Now the speculation for the next Conservative PM is starting. It would probably be someone from the Leave camp too.

Crap this just gets better and better @_@

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
That was certainly something I didn't expect to see. Watch the Pound drop even further now.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
i'm seriously hoping farage doesn't get to be prime minister.

It'd be much more likely to be Boris than Farage, imo. Farage won't be able to Jar Jar his way onto the Galactic Senate like Boris can.

A possibility of Trump & Boris by the end of the year. Good lord.

Lokiepie

ooh...Cake!
Years
The pound dropped before the stock market was even open. 9 am has hit, think it's gonna get worse?

And no... Not the bumblebee Boris and Trump... Why? I cannot articulate the shock and disbelief I am feeling.

Years
I hope "Leave" wins and Brexit happens because it would help other countries to leave the Titanic called EU.

If you vote leave, you show that you love your country and want it to stay independent.

So we have you to thank for a potential global recession, plunging market shares, and an emboldened Russia/Vladimir Putin? We need transatlantic unity right now, not a bullshit faux-national pride vote that undermines the entire global economic engine because the Leave crowd is afraid of immigrants. But thanks!

Last edited:

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
France has overtaken the UK as the world's fifth largest economy due to the decline of the pound. Farage also just admitted that one of Leave's main campaign points, the pledge for the NHS to have £350 mil a week, was a 'mistake'. Obviously.
The shitstorm keeps unfolding.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Congratulations to the Kingdom of England and Wales on their exciting future. I hope this serves as a wake-up call for the rest of us and moves the rest of the EU into further integration. Commiserations to Scotland, Northern Ireland, London and the sane Englishmen and Welsh out there.

I read somewhere that even if the UK leaves, it won't be that big of a deal, because a new arrangement can be negotiated that offers UK a bit less of the benefits of the EU but a little more flexibility. If I understand correctly, the UK won't just completely drop the EU even though it will no longer satisfy the criteria of membership; it'll be at arm's-length.

Can anyone remark on how true that might be? And what are the benefits of leaving the EU anyways?

Any such arrangement needs to be approved by the other 27 countries, which obviously feel a lot of goodwill towards England right now and are really excited to encourage other countries to follow the same path.

Technically, England (and Wales) could do as Norway and keep (somewhat restricted) access to the common market in return for mantaining their contribution to the EU budget, keeping borders open for EU nationals (or "filthy immigrants", as the winning side puts it) and continuing to obey EU laws, except now they'd have no MEPs and therefore no say in writing those laws. Obviously this whole scenario is the most stupid thing you can possibly think of, so chances are we'd be actually looking into a full exit- after all, that would mean that the rest of the continent would get to suck away a lot of business from England (starting with London's financial institutions and most companies that want to sell freely to the EU).

About the benefits, fuck me if I know any other than "closing the borders" and idk. Apparently the rest of the world is going to fall over themselves in a hurry to sign wonderful trade agreements with England now that they have broken over 60 or so overnight.

Arjay

#GoStags
Years
By the end of the year Boris Johnson and Donald Trump could both be in power. Might check property prices on the Moon.

Years
Wow so Leave won... now I know how Australia will feel because we mainly supported Remain plus the vote will also impact us financially. What's even more scary is that Boris Johnson is likely to succeed David Cameron as British PM, and Donald Trump has boosted his chances of becoming US President because he also supported Leave.

Given most of the Leave voters were old people, I am also feeling a bleak future for the young people of Britain.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
So we actually left the EU so we get rid of Cameron but can we also tell Ms Fishy mc Fishface First minster to shut up about inde 02....

she should also quit... it be a win/win bye bye Cameron and sturgeon....

Back