• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
Years
  • Big problem, guys.
    I'm stuck, very much. Carmaniac and I were trying to work together to find out more about scripting hold items. To our suprise, none of them are in the PokemonItems script. Also, in the notes there is not a single word about how to script them.
    This is the item I wanted to script, from items.txt.

Code:
    504,ILLUSIONGEM,ILLUSION GEM,1,4500,"A mysterious gem to be held by TANNUSSION. It seems to cause an illusion, reducing accuracy.",1,0

I'm a little frustrated that it doesn't at least say "hold items cannot be scripted" or something. Because apparently they cannot be. There are a million hold items in the items.txt document, but yet, no scripts on them..? Can someone help me out please? Sorry to sound rude, I'm just frustrated over all this broken hope.

robie392

Pokemon Prof.
    Years
  • unfortunately i cant find anything even after 20 different pages of google searching it could exist but you might have to script it which really shouldnt be that hard

good luck and now you got me interested in trying to change wild pokemon items or even create a script for it

robie392

Pokemon Prof.
    Years
  • sorry forgot to add that i would probably start in the script database looking for where pokemon data is held and figuring out how to add the chance rate for each item and then adding along with the item script to the pokemon data or something
    sorry i cant be too much more helpful ill go try some stuff out and if you can get it before me please share how

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
  • You do need &-ZIP. I use it so much I forgot that I needed it. You can get 7-ZIP here
    It worked! Sort of...
    I can get on to the starter kit and do anything but actually play test the game, when I click it it says:
    RGSS Player has stopped working
    Windows is checking for a solution to the problem

(then)

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
    Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

@robie392: It's the proper version.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
  • Big problem, guys.
    I'm stuck, very much. Carmaniac and I were trying to work together to find out more about scripting hold items. To our suprise, none of them are in the PokemonItems script. Also, in the notes there is not a single word about how to script them.
    This is the item I wanted to script, from items.txt.

Code:
    504,ILLUSIONGEM,ILLUSION GEM,1,4500,"A mysterious gem to be held by TANNUSSION. It seems to cause an illusion, reducing accuracy.",1,0

I'm a little frustrated that it doesn't at least say "hold items cannot be scripted" or something. Because apparently they cannot be. There are a million hold items in the items.txt document, but yet, no scripts on them..? Can someone help me out please? Sorry to sound rude, I'm just frustrated over all this broken hope.
    PokemonItems is where scripts go for when you actively use them. Potions and so forth. Held items generally have a passive role, and do things like boost ATK or are consumed in a pinch (some berries). The scripts for these items are to be found at the relevant places in the battle scripts (e.g. PokeBattle_Move contains the def pbAccuracyCheck, where things like BrightPowder are accounted for).

If you can't find an item in PokemonItems, then think about where the item has an effect (e.g. in battle/on the field) and look in those places instead. The same applies to abilities, which are completely decentralised.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:

I decided to remove some items from my game (including the below-mentioned Lax Incense), as I'm not going to use them. I deleted their lines from items.txt, and when I went to compile the game, this error came up:

Code:
    ---------------------------
    Pokemon Essentials
    Exception: NameError
    PokemonOrgBattle:59:in `const_get'
    PokemonOrgBattle:59:in `fromInspected'
    Compiler:536:in `pbCompileBattlePokemon'
    Compiler:535:in `pbCompilerEachCommentedLine'
    Compiler:501:in `each_line'
    Compiler:501:in `pbCompilerEachCommentedLine'
    Compiler:498:in `open'
    Compiler:498:in `pbCompilerEachCommentedLine'
    Compiler:535:in `pbCompileBattlePokemon'
    Compiler:3549:in `pbCompileAllData'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.
    Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK   
    I know Lax Incense has some effects already coded in the scripts, but I didn't think that would be a problem, as I've gotten rid of some pokémon that are also coded in (i.e. Unown and its forms). I figured the game would simply ignore the places it looks for an item that doesn't exist, just as it does when it loads a pokémon sprite (i.e. when it checks whether the 'mon in question is the undefined Unown).

The items.txt has gaps in the numbers, but so does the original Essentials (both in items.txt and the icons - the latter only has one gap, between items 374 and 500, but it's still a gap), and it worked fine then.

Do I have to go through all the scripts and comment out every reference to every deleted item? Or is there another reason this error is coming up? I don't want to waste my time going through lots of code if I don't have to.

robie392

Pokemon Prof.
    Years
  • i would try deleting every instance that its called in because when every time it goes to check the code it wont be able to find the data for the thing thats trying to be called upon

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
  • That's not the issue, as I thought it wasn't. The issue is "btpokemon.txt", which begins like so:

Code:
    SUNKERN;[COLOR=Red]LAXINCENSE[/COLOR];RELAXED;HP,SA;MEGADRAIN,HELPINGHAND,SUNNYDAY,LIGHTSCREEN
    AZURILL;CHERIBERRY;RASH;HP,SA;WATERPULSE,ATTRACT,SING,CHARM
    CATERPIE;FOCUSBAND;QUIRKY;HP,ATK;TACKLE,STRINGSHOT,,
    WEEDLE;FOCUSBAND;QUIRKY;HP,ATK;POISONSTING,STRINGSHOT,,
    WURMPLE;LAXINCENSE;QUIRKY;HP,ATK;TACKLE,STRINGSHOT,POISONSTING,
    RALTS;TWISTEDSPOON;DOCILE;HP,SA;CONFUSION,IMPRISON,DOUBLETEAM,LIGHTSCREEN
    MAGIKARP;FOCUSBAND;HARDY;HP,ATK;FLAIL,,,
    FEEBAS;FOCUSBAND;LONELY;HP,ATK;FLAIL,MIRRORCOAT,,
    As you can see, the Lax Incense is the first item that shows up there, which I suspect is what is causing the problem. I've also removed Sunkern from the game, so I don't know why that's being ignored but the item isn't, but whatever.

What does btpokemon.txt do? I can't find any reference to it in the notes. It looks like it's a list of pokémon to be used in the Battle Tower, but I can't see where it is implemented in the game (there's Battle Palace and Battle Arena but no Battle Tower).

I assume I can just remove btpokemon.txt and it'll work.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    What does btpokemon.txt do? I can't find any reference to it in the notes. It looks like it's a list of pokémon to be used in the Battle Tower, but I can't see where it is implemented in the game (there's Battle Palace and Battle Arena but no Battle Tower).

btpokemon.txt is for the battle tower that comes with the starter kit as a default map. It is under MAP013.

Maruno

Years
  • btpokemon.txt is for the battle tower that comes with the starter kit as a default map. It is under MAP013.
    I meant I can't find it in the scripts.

But I deleted btpokemon.txt and it works fine. I doubt I'll be including the Battle Tower in my game anyway (I don't even know how it works - I've never gone into it in the real games).

Now to add in all the new items' effects.

The Smell

Doof-Man
    Years
  • Glad to see you've sorted out the problem! I suppose if you do end up wanting Battle Tower you can just re-copy the file from the Starter Kit. What btpokemon.txt looks after is the Pokémon that the bttrainers.txt trainers can be assigned randomly. ;)

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
  • I meant I can't find it in the scripts.

But I deleted btpokemon.txt and it works fine. I doubt I'll be including the Battle Tower in my game anyway (I don't even know how it works - I've never gone into it in the real games).

Now to add in all the new items' effects.

That file is compiled in order to be used in-game. It's like the pokémon data, you won't see a line about "BULBASAUR" at the scripts. I think you should keep that file there, otherwise the game will try to compile something that doesn't exist; unless you know how to remove the exact line where the battle tower script is.
    And about your item, I think the wrong thing is that you're keeping that item on the items.txt, don't you? If you do, then remove it from that file. And don't forget to reestablish the number count(lets say the Lax Incese is the number 153 and the next item is the Bright Powder which is 154, then, the Bright Powder will be the number 153, did you get it?)

And just to let you know... some things are not on the scripts because they're complied, like the Phone, you WONT see a line about the phone dialogs on the scripts.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    whats the key for rpg maker xp?

Key? do you mean the individual key each person gets when they buy the software so that they don't have a thirty day limit? Cause if thats what you mean, and I can't think of anything else, then you'd have to buy the software to get one you could use.

robie392

Pokemon Prof.
    Years
  • Key? do you mean the individual key each person gets when they buy the software so that they don't have a thirty day limit? Cause if thats what you mean, and I can't think of anything else, then you'd have to buy the software to get one you could use.

or you could use your "imagination" ...ahem but i say it is worth every penny so just buy it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    I discovered the sunny weather in this starter kit. It is weather type 4! Why it isn't in notes?

Poccil only covered the scripts he made in the notes. The sunny weather script was by me; he just forgot to edit the description into the notes when he added it to the main starter kit :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back