• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon childish??

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Theres more strategy involved in Pokemon than all the so-called "grown-up" games

cerulean15

♫Mysterious Melody♪
    Years
  • Childish? Pffffft. I remember when the Mew Event was happening here, I met some thirty year old guy there and he had like every other event pokemon there. I was so amazed =D and happy, but sad that I didn't have a link cable so we couldn't trade anything T_T

For me I always grew up on Pokemon, the moment it debuted on tv of course. Took me until Pokemon Silver/Gold to come out for me to learn about the games.....My Mom even knows some pokemon, of course her most notable one is Pikachu....and my grandmother would watch it with me as well.

But from personal experience, most people wind up hiding the information away because they'll think they will be picked on. I found out that most of all my friends were into Pokemon on the last day of my seventh grade year. We spent like 2 hours discussing our favorites and who we would choose as a starter. Though most of them don't show it like me, but it shows that most are just afraid

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
  • I dont really think its childish. It sort of seems more like an anime to me... but the show is somewhat childish though. But the games arent because they are bought and played by people of all different ages, and they get rather addicting to play. Even adults buy the game and play it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2009
    the anime can get childish but i still love it and i don't give a damn what people say lol

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I dont really think its childish. It sort of seems more like an anime to me... but the show is somewhat childish though. But the games arent because they are bought and played by people of all different ages, and they get rather addicting to play. Even adults buy the game and play it.
    Yeah! That's true. Proof: I read somewhere that someone's dad brought a pokemon game for him but the dad himself got hooked into the pokemon world as he thought the games were addicting! XD

pong08

Black & White... don't fail me
    Years
  • Pokemon is not childish because I'm still playing it and I'm 19 years old. Though I really feel that pokemon is a bit childish. And although I don't feel the game is childish I do feel that the storyline could be darker.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • Pokemon is not childish because I'm still playing it and I'm 19 years old. Though I really feel that pokemon is a bit childish. And although I don't feel the game is childish I do feel that the storyline could be darker.
    Yeah maybe what you say is true. But I think that pokemon will just get darker shades from now on. E.g: Paul as a rival is pretty good(considering his nature).Cyrus too is a pretty dark character.

Years
  • No, it's for everyone. Maybe the anime and the show Pokemon Sunday are a wee bit childish. But who cares? The only people I've heard say that are people in school who want to look like they're "mature." They don't even know the definition. You're counted as mature by the way you act, not what your interests are. I have never heard an adult say whether or not it's immature. If they did, I could honestly care less. I do what makes ME happy. And playing Pokemon games and looking up info for the games makes me happy. The only ones who think it's "immature" are the ones who are in school. They're probably not smart enough to understand let alone, beat the game and they probably suck at it. They're just trying to put me down make me feel bad. Some of my stupid classmates stopped liking Pokemon because of the 1st Movie where Mewtwo turned good and Ash came back to life. (I liked the movie. Sorry if I ruined it for anyone, but it's been out for so long and they even played it on tv recently, so you had your chance to see it.) The anime makes it look childish I guess, because the characters are 10 years old. Whatever. The games are for everyone. Rated "E" for everyone. The game is for people who are smart enough to comprehend what the text says and for people who know what they're doing when they play. It's about strategy. It's also a good way to help you concentrate. Once you're in college, no one cares or teases you about it any more. Some people are even open about it and play the game on the bus during field trips. They even sell DS Lites in the bookstore at the college. I was able to get some people back into liking Pokemon again. (I let them play my LeafGreen and they liked it better than the original. They got their own because of it.) Some people say they stopped because they added more and they don't know any of the new ones. I began liking it when I found out about Gold version in 7th grade. I got excited when I first ran into/captured a Magikarp! My first ever starter was Chikorita. I thought it was cool to catch a Pokemon I've seen in the anime. Ever since, I continued playing Pokemon. I only watch the show once in a while to see how far Ash is on his journey. It's about doing what makes you happy. The ones who say it's "immature" probably secretly play it, too, or like something that's way more immature. (I caught a girl who called Pokemon "immature" playing with a Bratz doll! It was in her pocketbook. She uses it to hold her mirror. This was eighth grade by the way. Another classmate, secretly plays with her sister's Barbies still!) They're just trying to look cool and mature by calling Pokemon "immature." It's not. You have to know what you're doing to play this game. Okay, now I'm repeating myself. But do you all get the point? Do what makes you happy.

IcyArceusRider

Nyaaaaa <3
    Years
  • Here's what I think about people who think that pokemon is only for 5-year-olds:

Apparently, these people don't understand exactly how complex pokemon really is. There's more to it than just catching and battling little monsters. A five-year-old would actually probably not be able to properly play the game in all its glory because it's too complicated. I think it's fun because of the strategies you get to try out, and finding one that works well for you. Building the perfect team takes a lot of time and practice and knowledge, and it's really not that easy to memorize all those type-matchups if you're a little kid. It's a strategic game. So I will say: No, pokemon video games are not at all childish. Now the anime, on the other hand....is pretty childish (just my opinion).

Serpine

Student of Dragons
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2009
    I think it's just rated 3+ because of lack of violence, blood, etc. and It is far too complex for a young child to play properly. For example, how many kids do you know who'd spend ages training EVs? How many would understand EVs? Well?

However, saying all this, adults don't talk about it too much. My Mum knows about all Gen 1 pokemon (Her favourite is JigglypufF) But she stopped playing when she became a teacher.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Who gives a damn? So long as you enjoy playing the games or watching the movies... that's really all that matters.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
  • Theres more strategy involved in Pokemon than all the so-called "grown-up" games

This is the truth. They are games that I didn't think would involve that much strategy (besides type match-ups) at all, but once I found out about IVs and EVs, the game became more complex, and I realized how broad of an audience there is for the games.

pong08

Black & White... don't fail me
    Years
  • Yeah maybe what you say is true. But I think that pokemon will just get darker shades from now on. E.g: Paul as a rival is pretty good(considering his nature).Cyrus too is a pretty dark character.

oh, and I meant to say pokemon ANIME is childish. But everything else is not. But the anime is slightly getting darker as time goes on.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    The anime is most definitely childish. I probably loose 3 years of my maturity just hearing the name. D: It is horrid. The game however is not. You actually need to have some concept of how things work and understanding for that matter to enjoy the game. Those kind of games are not childs play.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'll agree with my little Ctep on the anime junk. The first season was very good, and not too childish, even when I watch it today. Parents are just protective nuts nowadays and children are spoiled rotten and given iPods and laptops at the age of seven and eight. They end up being complete perves and "tarts" anyway. But that's enough of that rant.

Like I said before, the games are really all ages. There's a childish charm, but there's also fun for the older audience in getting into game mechanics. And if you don't like game mechanics and are still playing, then it must be the charm the game has.

The manga, on the other hand...I'd say you should be at least 12 or 13. It's a little more mature than the anime...maybe not even a little with it's sauna scenes and idea of "everyone living together" and the butt patting. Compared to the anime, it's miles ahead in maturity.

TCG is definitely all ages. I love the TCG, unfortunately, it's a little uncommon to find someone else that plays around here, so most of my Pokemon TCG career has just been collecting. I have eleven battling decks, though. But older players find the battling better, I suppose. Requires a good bit of strategy, and I'm actually quite proud of myself for getting my little brother into it. He's eight, but he's pretty good at playing the card game, but for the most part, he enjoys collecting. But like I said, the TCG is kind of an all age thing.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • This topic inspired me to make a topic catering to 'girly girls' here.

And, okay, I admit it...lately, i've been kinda dropping out of Pokémon a little. Mainly due to my pearl game, although, my time to 'move on' may be coming overall...

However, I still want to play the new g/s re-makes before I say goodbye to Pokémon possably forever or at least till I become a mother (if that ever happons..lol). it's importent I play them....lol

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 29, 2009
    20 years old and i still cant get enough of pokemon, in all its forms.

except for pokemon pinball... ewwww

AlphaMightyena

A Mightyena Fapper
    Years
  • Games- the games in pokemon, you had to use stratgey but all ages

Anime- the #1 and #9 season were good, other than that i think it's directly for kids

Maga- i couldn't relly understand that untill i was 11 (i've ben playing pokemon for over 6 years)

TCG- that is more mature than moast Media in pokemon but i just collect now i think i have about 10 complete card sets.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back