• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon childish??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash~The Purifying Prince~

TLOTPP "Haunting Dreams" 77%
Years
  • I wouldn't really say that Pokemon is childish; sure its aimed and kids but anyone can enjoy it, and maybe to those who do enjoy it the most it is not childish at all. I for one love Pokemon even though I'm 16 years old xD. I used to get picked on all the time because I like it so much; but I just ignored them, yo ushould never let what they say or do get you down.

Jahool

Is Now Accepting Donations
    Years
  • I think as long as you enjoy playing it, it doesn't really matter

but I have to admit the games have gotten more and more childish as the years go on. Like in GSC your rival would push you and you would go back like 4 spaces, but now your rival's your best friend.

*Charizard*

Velocity
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    Who cares what other people think about you, as long as your having fun and you enjoy playing, watching, collecting Pokemon then you shouldn't really care what others think. And I find it very amusing that some people go out of their way to tease someone who watches a certain show. I mean come on...grow up.

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
  • the anime isnt that good but the games rule!!! anyone who teases you for that must be a loonatic, i am 12 and i get teased, who cares if they are loons! :)

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
    Years
  • It's an opinion. Some think it's childish, some don't heck, My mom thinks I'm too old for it! I say it really doesn't matter. I know alot of "cool kids" In high school that like Pokemon, and trust me, I mean ALOT

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
  • The anime may be childish in some parts, but it is definitely not just for little kids. Especially when it comes to the games, and calculating ev points and trying to raise the best Pokemon through iv and ev training. It's actually quite difficult, not to mention many kids probably don't even know that those features exist within the games.

All in all, I think Pokemon is for everyone, not just kids.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 12, 2024
    I defiantly would say that the games are for all ages but the show is childish in my opinion.

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
    Years
  • Agree with everyone that thinks the show is childish, too much friendship, let's help eachother out! WE CAN DO IT! etc! yes, etc. is childish
    Pokemon is a complicted RPG, not a childrens game The show needs more people like Shinji/Paul. It also needs more action, and some more battles like in the first episode

TheAliveTrain

I love *splashes* Magikarps
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2009
    I don't really know..

On the first gen. Pokémon were like UBER STRONG creatures which battle each others and you have to win.
    On the gen2, the cute Pokémon came, and filled the Pokémon intros and roles, it went more adapted to child, even to girls (first playable girl character added, Kris)
    Although, on these 2 later Generations, Pokémon turned back to a skill game, which you need to understand A LOT and use your UBER Pokémon skilled to defeat others around the world. Anyway it keeps being focused on cute Pokémon, it may be why it looks childish.

You may like cute Pokémon, I'm not saying that they are for children, but they do give a look of that.

chanchimi

With a Side of Cheddar
    Years
  • Pokemon is for everyone! It's for all ages! That's why it's rated 'E', of course! But I don't believe that playing Pokemon makes a person childish.... Adults were the ones who created Pokemon, and I'm sure people don't go up to creators and make fun of them for being childish.

Ash~The Purifying Prince~

TLOTPP "Haunting Dreams" 77%
    Years
  • As many people have said; its rated E for everyone; my Dad sometimes watches Pokemon with me; if he's up by the time its one xD. And he doesn't seem to mind it at all xD. so anyone can watch and play the games; if you like Pokemon then you like it, its as simple as that ^^. Who cares what other people may think of you if you like it.

Leyt

Absolution
    Years
  • I think that for some, Pokemon is a guilty pleasure. Obviously, it's aimed at children; that's been said enough, as far as I can tell. But if you played it as a kid, you probably enjoyed it to its fullest, and those kinds of memories might make someone want to relive them. Thus, they go out (like I did) and buy the newer versions. Pokemon is almost like masturbating; everyone enjoys it, but no one likes to talk about it. For example, if you masturbate in front of a room of people, you will be considered extremely strange. It may be extreme, yet it's the same with Pokemon.

That's how I see it, at least.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I wouldn't compare it to masturbating. At least Pokemon isn't taboo.

Yes, Pokemon's childish. No, I don't care. I'm in high school, I love it, and I don't care what anyone thinks. I'm not dumb enough to go around yelling it at the top of my voice, though. That's just asking for trouble.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2012
    It depends on your definition of "childish." I wont argue that Pokemon is a series that is directed towards children, but that doesn't make liking Pokemon a sign of immaturity.

I like Pokemon because it is something I grew up with. I got the games when they first came out in 1998, and I like seeing how the series has grown and changed over the years. I still liked it once it was no longer a "fad" and became "uncool" because unlike most of my friends who had played the games, I liked video games beforehand -- and I think Pokemon is a really great game. It fits my style of play perfectly. I have always liked collecting things, whether it be stamps/rocks/etc., and the "catch all the Pokemon" idea always appealed to me.

I'm not ashamed of the fact that I like Pokemon. I carried around my Pokemon Pikachus in middle school, and played the Game Boy games in high school. During my college orientation, I was talking to the new people that I met how I cloned my shinies on Pokemon Emerald to trade them over Wi-Fi. I don't care if anyone judges me for still liking Pokemon. And to be quite honest, the only childish ones are the immature people who would tease someone based on something they like.

Munch Dog

Growlithe!
    Years
  • If Pokemon was as childish as some people claim it is, I don't think websites like this would exist.

Years
  • well personally my gf thinks me playing pokemon is totally lame and makes fun of me for it all the time
    but idc pokemon is like the funniest game ever made even if they make fun of me for it im still happy
    because pokemon is amazing so if they make fun of u i wouldnt even make a big deal out of it
    because really pokemon is for all ages my mom use to play it xD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back