• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon childish??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vernikova

Banned
Years
  • 1. But did you read the rest of it? Particularly the synonyms.
    Yes I did. The fact of the matter remains that it isn't mature and as a result is childish. Blues Clues isn't described by any of those synonyms but is still refered to as childish. Why? Because it isn't mature and therefore is childish. Definition 1 explains that childish is suitable for children and Pokémon is described by that. Definition 2B also explains the simplicity of Pokémon. You can argue that EVs and IVs make it complicated but in most games, if not every game, there are complicated equations in them to calculate certain events in the games. The fact is that you have to find out what the equations are first.

2. Yup those are aimed towards kids too. They're just aimed towards older kids.
    In other words teens.

EDIT: As for your extra reasoning: just because something is childish it doesn't mean that older audiances can't enjoy it. The best example of this would be Spongebob Squarepants.

Last edited:

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • *Nayz*

a.k.a L_Judah
    Years
  • well there's a pretty large amount of teens and older who play, so who cares?

(heck, I'm 21)

shouldn't let your friends deter you from playing.

Silvergale

..... >:(
    Years
  • The anime is childish and it just seems to be getting more and more
    childish as it progresses. Because of the childish level of the anime, I
    believe that it leads people to believe that everything relating to pokemon
    in general is childish.

Years
  • It is childish, but you can't help what you like :)
    When I was in Japan I met a lot of adults who love Pokémon!
    ( I also fit into that group )
    Of course you may watch it until your 80 and still carry around your beloved Pikachu Plushie (lol)
    I doubt most 5 year olds would get the point of Pokémon.
    Infact i think Pokémon fits into the early teens not toddlers >.<
    So what I am trying to say here, it is for all ages. But not everyone likes it.

deadlyangel91792

Psn Id-Sirbagsalot
    Years
  • i think it is childish but not in a really kiddie way,i dont know how to explain it but its the kind of thing that can get away with being childish and still appeal to everyone.I dont really like the anime to say the truth but the games are superb if gamefreak and nintendo wanted to they can make a truely hardcore pokemon game that would get a T for teen rating that would be so awesome,but again it is a bit childish but in a good way....lol my friends tease me about it too

Zach.Is.Me.

As my name suggests, I am Zach
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2009
    i think it is childish but not in a really kiddie way,i dont know how to explain it but its the kind of thing that can get away with being childish and still appeal to everyone.

Yeah, true that. Kind of like Spongebob. Really childish, however I can still watch it and genuinely laugh pretty hard.

And the Fairly Oddparents.

Pokemon is definitely childish, but it's definitely got something to offer different generations. Because at its core, it is a very well made RPG.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • You know what sicken's me about this thread?

It's the fact that NO ONE who's posting here apper's to be a 'girly girl'/'prep'. At all. Yet you all are trying to prove Pokémon isn't childish?...hallerious.

However, I did not login to bash you. At all.

Just soo you know...i'm that same girl called 'PikaJ', from Bulbagarden's forums. I'm kinda becoming a 'girlier' girl now, and i've ALWAYS been really quite girly as a kid. I loved Barbie and ANYTHING bright/pretty...though I also kinda had a thing for video games, too.

But, now, at the age of 18, I really am starting to feel too 'old' for Pokémon, and, technecly speaking, I don't know why I care to stick up for the series and not be one to call it 'childish'. However, regardless of who I am...Pokémon is EXTREMELY special to me. Even though it's possable i'm NATURALLY letting go now, I won't allow myself to. I'll fight growing out of the series if it mean's putting my life in danger for it. With all the close friendships I made, due to Pokémon....I have REASONS to love this franchice, possably forever.

'Childish'? Who really GIVES one?! Pokémon is AWESOME, and, as I get 'girlier' day by day, i'm going to become more and more confident about my fandom. And, if anyone think I should be 'token care of' for it, i'm not going to care. I'll like what I want, stereo types are SCREWED!!!

POKEMON SHALL LIVE ON....FOREVER!!!!!!!! Oh, and, BY THE WAY, I can't WAIT till the g/s re-makes come out....I love Johto A LOT. And I always will...

I'm glad I finally got this all off my chest...

And, by the way, for those who know me as 'PikaJ' from Bulbagardens forums---I actually deleted my Pearl file afterall, and I regret the mistake everyday now. However, luckly, I have a BACK-UP team---It is my old Pearl team I saved to my brother's Diamond file. It is also LESS cute than the one that's deleted. But...

I'm still going to train it, and, i'm STILL going to like cute things, as well. And, if the chalange give's me a headake, i'll still go for it....because I want to battle my brother, just like old times.

I'm not a quiter. Prehaps my additude will show you all just how open minded people can be...NO ONE had to close their minds up due to things being 'childish' or due to commen 'stereo types'. Pffft.

Soo now that you've read my post, be happy EVERY SINGLE DAY...your love for Pokémon has NO REASON to end. At all. No matter WHO you are...you can love Pokémon.

Forever.^_~

~Posted by....PikaJ, AKA JIRACHU. REMEMBER ME NOW! ^~

EDIT---I just hope I didn't BUMP a DEAD topic for REAL....Ahh, who care's! I made an IMPORTENT statement, and i'm not going to hold back on what I said. At all, ever.

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • Of course it is.
    It is aimed at children. Made for children.

Therefore, it is childish. It always will be childish. But, if you like something, you don't care if it is childish or not.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • Of course it is.
    It is aimed at children. Made for children.

Therefore, it is childish. It always will be childish. But, if you like something, you don't care if it is childish or not.
    *nod's* Yep, that's what matter's! As long as your having fun, you can like whatever you want for as long as you desire---no matter WHO you are or how old you are^^

I think people in genneral need to learn to cool down and have a little fun every now and then. :) Afterall, it can't hurt ya, right?^^ I would think being happier would be GOOD for people, nuff said :P ^_^

Plus, even for those who WOULD think Pokemon is 'childish', it offer's some other very mentally stimulating chalanges, espesally when your being pressured to have a life and work, and have difficulties living in the 'nerd' world anymore due to who you were as a kid, and, your current EXTREME obsession with 'cute' things (BY THE WAY, i'm kinda autistic...lol do i care?).

Look at the team i'm going to be training to battle my brother, for instence. BUT i'm STILL going to LOVE cute things! Prehaps i'll play with my eyes closed a lot, though....just to be safe. lol

In a way, I like the anime better than the games, as it's more easy-going. However, the games can be....fasanating. Ahhh I don't know anymore lol

:) ^_^

Gizamimi Pichu

The Medic
    Years
  • I'd say pokemon is for all ages, and what matters most is that you enjoy it, whether it be playing the games, watching the anime, or reading the manga.

I'm not too much of a fan of the anime, apart from a few episodes and character appearances, but I enjoy most of the movies, play the games, and read the manga sometimes.

Miss Soupy

o v e r d o s e
    Years
  • It's always nice to get in touch with your inner child sometimes, imo. It's always nice to sit back, relax, and play a game that doesn't require too much reading of dialog or shooting the guts out of countless people. Sometimes it's nice to immerse yourself in the delights you enjoyed as a child. :/

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2012
    You know what sicken's me about this thread?

It's the fact that NO ONE who's posting here apper's to be a 'girly girl'/'prep'. At all. Yet you all are trying to prove Pokémon isn't childish?...hallerious.

However, I did not login to bash you. At all.

Just soo you know...i'm that same girl called 'PikaJ', from Bulbagarden's forums. I'm kinda becoming a 'girlier' girl now, and i've ALWAYS been really quite girly as a kid. I loved Barbie and ANYTHING bright/pretty...though I also kinda had a thing for video games, too.

Wait, so "girly preppy girls" aren't childish?? Liking Pokemon means you're not a "girly girl?" Explain...

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • The anime is childish, not the game, not really anyways and besides who cares? I'm into what I'm into and if people have a problem with that...too bad :P.

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
  • Maybe it's childish but who cares? Not me. I told to my friends that I can hack them and two of my friends started to play Pokémon :D I did hack game to my other friend but he didn't play it long time because it was made in day, next this same friend played Yellow and completed it... So they are now playing Gold and Silver. Anime is childish (I still watch it), game isn't and manga NO!!!

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • It may be, but like everybody else said 'WHO THE HELL CARES IF IT IS?' .

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    It's for all ages. The anime just sucks now, but you can't just run the whole series as being childish, even if it was originally aimed at them.

Always remember, if you like/love something, you don't need to care about what others think about it. It's always you in the end.
    If people bothers you too much, you can just keep it to yourself and not tell anyone that. Don't give in to peer pressure!

Ecks-Dee

The Hysterical Artifact
    Years
  • I do not think the Pokemon games are childish, but the Pokemon show is, in my opinion :( Ash is such an idiot >.< (sorry to people who like the anime! ^^; )

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back