• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    In the anime (where moves are seen in a somewhat "realistic" approach), some moves aren't like they're seen in the game. Do you describe moves like they're put in the anime, or like they are put in the game? Or neither?

For me it's a blend of the anime, the game and what I think they should look like. For example, I absolutely fell in love with the anime's take on Hydro Pump. You know the episode where Squirtle's fighting on top of that cliff? I forget the name of it, forgive me! But yeah, to see water rushing out of Squirtle's spinning shell was genius in comparison to the game's take on it. But I like some of the moves the game has presented us with, like Flash. There's a seen in OMF where a Pokémon uses flash by accident, which temporarily blinds dozens of people who were unluckily caught in the attack. And then there's my take on some moves, like Smog. I see it as a very thick, black gas that can be poisonous to humans and Pokémon alike (I'm pretty sure in The U.A., I had a character who was going to develop cancer from being exposed to Smog for too long).

NaNoWriMo's less than a month away. Who's planning for it, and are you willing to give us a hint as to what you're doing?

I... had yet to figure out whether I'm gonna take a shot at it and fail, but I have decided what I'm gonna write about. Two seperate ideas, and I can't choose between them.

It takes place in the Pokémon universe, but it's mayhem like never before. New creatures have been discovered. Nobody knows if they're Pokémon or not, all they know is that they like killing. The story takes you into the very last days of humanity and Pokémon, where most of both races have been wiped out by the new creatures. And then the main character (who I think I'll call Gunny) stumbles upon an old book in Canalave Library, and puts forward the theory that these new creatures are demons. So it's basically the Pokémon and the humans versus the new creatures, who don't seem to have any motive for killing at all. Let the slaughter commence.

The second idea is slightly better, and not as twisted as the other. Molly Hale wakes up on her tenth birthday to find out that all the Pokémon have disappeared. Professor Oak is supopsedly a crazy man who hasn't aged well, and nobody else can remember anything about the Pokémon. So it's up to a ten year old to try and put things right.

Doesn't sound like a lot, but I think it has potential.

What would your character (or characters) want to do over or fix?

Seeing as everything I write are mostly based on tragedy and disaster, I'm just going to not answer this question because... everything will be spoiled.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • What would your character (or characters) want to do over or fix?
    Lisa would want to redo her entire journey at a time where she wouldn't have to deal with international terrorists (and not lose any battles). And two of the admins of said terrorist group would like to have not joined up with them at all.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I can finally answer things now!

Casey would like to toss Rotom's Pokéball on the floor. And stomp on it. Multiple times. And fire it into the ocean from a cannon. Loudly.

...Basically, he'd want to get the thing away from him ASAP. Everyone else did their job very well (except for the minor policemen characters who still hate themselves for not catching someone harboring a Pokémon).

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • How do you deal with the more mechanized parts of Pokémon battling as in the games? Stats, levels, elemental strengths, etc.?
    They are all implemented in The Quest for the Legends; stats and levels can be calculated by your Pokédex as an approximation of the Pokémon's power in certain regards, and type advantages work faithfully as they do in the games - I couldn't to it any differently, since the type chart is pretty hardwired into my head by now. I try to get it to seem to somewhat make maybe a little bit more sense than in the games, but that's about it.

In the anime (where moves are seen in a somewhat "realistic" approach), some moves aren't like they're seen in the game. Do you describe moves like they're put in the anime, or like they are put in the game? Or neither?
    I describe them however I picture them, which tends to be some mixture between what I've seen of the anime and movies, the game versions, other fan depictions of them that I've really liked and my own interpretation.

NaNoWriMo's less than a month away. Who's planning for it, and are you willing to give us a hint as to what you're doing?
    I'm planning to participate with an original fantasy novel I've been planning for a couple of years and have probably talked about here before that happens in an ice age-like setting of constant winter where the humans are a little primitive tribe living in caves and dragons are the dominant species. The humans hate the dragons. A lot.

Mark wouldn't really be sure. Part of him would want to have not gone on a Pokémon journey in the first place; part of him would have wanted to go on a Pokémon journey but stay well away from Green Town around May the twenty-fifth; and part of him would figure what he's doing is too important to undo it. On the other hand, he would definitely want to have recalled Gyarados before he
    Spoiler:
    and not let Scyther out that night when he tried to kill Nightmare's trainer.

I actually thought of a bold topic yesterday. I realize we just had a new one, but just answer it if and when you like.

How secretive are you about plot twists and revelations from your work that have yet to be written and posted? Do you casually discuss them in places like the Fanfiction Lounge? Do you post them, but hide them behind spoilers so readers or potential readers who want to be surprised can skip them? Do you discuss them freely with your friends but keep your mouth shut in public discussions? Or do you cackle manically and refuse to give anything out no matter how much they cry and beg? How about after those twists and revelations have been posted?

I've personally always been rather on the secretive end of the scale. I am downright paranoid about anybody figuring out various details of the plot of The Quest for the Legends before they are actually revealed, so my lips are completely sealed on that. It varies with the importance of the revelation, of course, but mostly I keep quiet about important aspects of the plot that have not yet been posted, though sometimes I talk about it with friends when asking for advice or something.

I've told one person the complete details of the plot of The Quest for the Legends, however, but I know she won't talk, and it's been ages so she's probably forgotten. :P

After they've been posted, I kind of flip-flop; sometimes I'll discuss it freely and sometimes I stick to spoiler tags.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    How secretive are you about plot twists and revelations from your work that have yet to be written and posted? Do you casually discuss them in places like the Fanfiction Lounge? Do you post them, but hide them behind spoilers so readers or potential readers who want to be surprised can skip them? Do you discuss them freely with your friends but keep your mouth shut in public discussions? Or do you cackle manically and refuse to give anything out no matter how much they cry and beg? How about after those twists and revelations have been posted?

I used to be a little more afraid of spoilers, but the point at which one of Metal Coat's biggies occured basically required me to blurt one out whenever I said a certain character's name... I'm okay with discussing some parts of my stories, but not others. For example, revealing the main characters of a fic before I post it anywhere is alright, but saying that... say... halfway through the story, one of the characters got zapped by a mad scientist's ray and turned into a Ratatta-person hybrid or something to that effect probably isn't. I honestly don't often ask for advice here much, so most of my worry derived from people who may want to read the story later on and don't want to be spoiled ahead of time... After they've been posted, they're treated like other spoilers - depends on the severity of the spoiler.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • ***Contains Brewing A Storm spoiler***

Psst. Spoiler tags are [spoiler][/spoiler].

Rose would probably not want to go to Hoenn. Veronica has a specific regret that I may or may not get to, depending on whether or not I really feel like her backstory is necessary, so... no spoilers. Except it has something to do with her own sister. Bill, meanwhile, wishes he could have gotten to know Rose a bit better before all this, not to mention he would have grabbed Lanette before that Teleport. Otherwise, surprisingly, no regrets. It helps to be somewhat weirdly fascinated thanks to the fact that his situation is pretty much right up his alley anyway.

With MKD, I told my friends but kept everything else hush-hush. As a result, I kinda don't want to write the ending. However, with AEM, everything's locked down tight, as much as I want to tell someone about it and as much as I say, "Lulz, that actually has to do with the ending TOOOOOOO~!"

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • How secretive are you about plot twists and revelations from your work that have yet to be written and posted? Do you casually discuss them in places like the Fanfiction Lounge? Do you post them, but hide them behind spoilers so readers or potential readers who want to be surprised can skip them? Do you discuss them freely with your friends but keep your mouth shut in public discussions? Or do you cackle manically and refuse to give anything out no matter how much they cry and beg? How about after those twists and revelations have been posted?
    Sometimes I forget that I'm still posting it on here and freely mention things like upcoming characters and plot points. Not anything that would spoil the story, but minor things like characters that don't play a spoiler-centric role or minor things like the car that Lisa buys toward the end. I really don't discuss major plot points in any form.

Outside of the Lounge, I've only told one friend about the ending before it was completed on Sppf. The only people who would know of events ahead of me posting chapters would be my beta readers. I usually stay hush-hush about my writing. The ones that I discuss it with now already know how it ends :P Of course, I did drop several hints about my "Pokemon Celebrity Jeopardy" fic before taking it live, but that's a bit different because it's more Sean Connery joke-based than plot based XD

Last edited:

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
  • How secretive are you about plot twists and revelations from your work that have yet to be written and posted? Do you casually discuss them in places like the Fanfiction Lounge? Do you post them, but hide them behind spoilers so readers or potential readers who want to be surprised can skip them? Do you discuss them freely with your friends but keep your mouth shut in public discussions? Or do you cackle manically and refuse to give anything out no matter how much they cry and beg? How about after those twists and revelations have been posted?
    I keep any plot twists or future events in Mentor a complete secret. The only person who has an inking of what's going to happen is one of my friends, and she doesn't read Pokemon fanfiction, so no problem there. For events that's already happened, I usually don't say anything about them or even put them in spoiler tags. To me, spoiler tags are like saying 'Highlight me! You know you want too :D' It's an urge I know some people can't resist… including me. <_<

Last edited:

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    For future plot twists, I'll give cryptic hints in the thread. If I know you well enough, I'll give you slightly less cryptic hints over MSN/PM. XD; I love to encourage speculation: reader involvement and theories are very important to me as a writer.

When talking about plot developments in the FFL that have already happened, I try my best never to give anything major away. XD;

Bay

Years
    NE I've been spoiling loads here considering I finished the fic already (and no one going to read it anyways) . :P In Serebii while posting the story, I try to keep the ending a secret and only two people I told the ending, both my betas, one of them being LeSabre. :P LeSabre didn't state his thoughts on the ending till after I posted the story, but my other beta let me know his thoughts on it and he thought it's a really good one.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Online now
    I'm extremely secretive with my own work, even in private discussions between friends. And since I pretty much never post my work, no one will ever know what I'm talking about in my vague way.

But yeah, I don't say a word about anything specific. It's all a secret to everyone. Stems from the fact that I don't want to be spoiled about anything I plan to read.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • Oh hai gaiz! Been a...few days. Not that long compared to my usual gap between posts here. I did mean to post sooner however I've had some argh-inducing school-related stuff going on lately so yeah. Now, where did I leave off at...

I generally interpret them just how I think they should look. Often this leads them to look like in the anime, although I may make alterations to them as I see fit.

Misheard Whisper said:
    Write it. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to turn that answer into a creepy Hallowe'en 'special' oneshot. Split your characters into the teams you've specified and insert them into a creepy corn-maze full of Ghost-type Pokemon, people dressed as zombies etc, and one or two 'nasty' surprises, if it suits you. *pointedly looking at anyone but Shrike* Then post it as a oneshot by the 31st.
    At first I was going to say that was stupid and I have much better stuff to do such as Haunting and TFC. I was going to say that I wanted to get Haunting finished for Halloween, and such a stupid non-canon exercise would be, well, stupid and a waste of time.

Then, yesterday, I was sitting in one of my classes and my mind turned to the idea. Needless to say I almost laughed out loud in the middle of class as I thought about how it could work. Now, perhaps, just perhaps, I may consider it. Maybe. Don't count on it, but...there's a possibility there.

Fuzzbutt said:
    Yeah, um Shrike could send all the little kids crying for their mommies.
    Haunting probably already does that, even only halfway done. To be truthful, the second part won't really be any more gory than the first but I hope to make it more emotional and all with a huge climax that you can bet I am going to make as over the top and needlessly theatrical and extravagant as I can.

Oh hell no. I would love to, sometime, but with school being as it is, there is no way in hell I could do it. Since I probably couldn't even get halfway done I might as well just use that time on my current fics.

Valentine said:
    On the other hand, if I can coax myself into putting AEM on hiatus for a month...
    Do that and I am afraid I shall have to go on a murdering rampage. Murdering, I dunno. Weak, innocent, cute, defenseless Pokemon? They're always fun to murder. Very fun. Not that I would know, of course. Do I look like a murdering bastard to you?

DO I?!

Shrike would have chosen to gone to someplace other than Petalburg as the first stop in his travels if he had known ahead of time that it would get them all caught up in the CORE's plots that leads them to get caught up in the Crimson Dawn's plots which lead them to get caught up in all this saving the world from the evil organization and cult (not teams!) stuff. Of course, considering the nature of himself, Zethro, and Rayne (ie, the Mary/Gary Sue/Stu qualities I'm trying to minimize in v2) it's likely nothing would have changed even if he had avoided Petalburg.

A normal person in Tashima's position would probably have wished they had ignored Hali's message and so not learned of TRINITY, however the only thing Tashima regrets there is that he couldn't save her. He always wants to learn the truth behind things, and it's just a side-effect of that that he gets caught up in actually rebelling against them. A side-effect that, once he adjusts, he doesn't necessarily mind.

In case some people out there are that sensitive to spoilers, as well as to save space...
    Spoiler:

So, um, no. I don't keep stuff all that secretive. Almost all that I mentioned above has been mentioned in this lounge at some point or another, BTW. Generally, anything through what I wrote in v1 I don't consider to be major spoilers, except for one particular thing that happened in the final chapter that has its status raised to medium spoiler. For the most part, anything relating to the characters before they undergo change and anything that happens in the plot before part 5 I talk about freely, while stuff that happens afterward I would put in spoilers. The only stuff I keep really, really close to me is the actual end of the story and everything that happens there. In part because it's in constant flux and seems to change every month. With TRINITY I'm a bit tighter on specific details, however the overall flow I share openly as it doesn't give much away.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • What would your character (or characters) want to do over or fix?

There is a certain event in James' past that he would like to do over, but I'm not going to tell you what it is. You're going to have to read The Hand of Arceus to find out and, even then, it won't be revealed until either Part II or Part III. :X

On that note...

I make sure not to give away any future plot twists, but I do allow people to get close. Like, I'll be having a conversation with someone and they'll guess something right and so I lead them on for a while. Everything I tell them is true, but in the end I don't let them delve too deep.

Last edited:

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023

When I first began writing OMF, I would tell everyone everything about how it would end when anybody asked me anything about it. Fast forward a couple of months and I realised that wasn't the way to hold an audience, so now I'm pretty secretive. Well, at least as secretive as one can be when the super secret plot notes are in an easy-to-reach notebook in an easy-to-reach place.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
    Years

I'll pick door number four and say I'd be willing to discuss it with anybody who'd ask it. On another note, I don't tend to write it out in spoilers - if I even do - so I can't say I'll "cackle" manically about it. :p

Ah, so its kind of an event... ._.
    I honestly didn't know it at all, but after some searching on the mighty Google, I don't think I'll be entering it at all. School this year is getting unforgivable, so I can't slack off. Although a 50.000 words story seems rather fast. For some reason, I made a fic with over that number in the precise date of a month. Not trying to make myself more than anyone, of course, because the story probably sucks from the number of reviews or even the tendency to check it. <.<

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Lol... I'm soooo bad >.> I studied probably no more than 1 hour for my Sociology midterm, yet found the exam (and short response) quite easy... I hope to get at least 70-80% XD

Periculo *** vivo. XD (actually that is a relatively simple sentence, not because of the amount of words, but only because of the conjugations).

How secretive are you about plot twists and revelations from your work? *snip*

I tend to give small hints, but sometimes they are either obvious, or not obvious at all. I don't like to give it out, unless if it is a major thing, where I think I can't hold it in, but do. (do-do) heh...

Anyway:

With the English language, is there something that you always seem to forget (rule wise, either to do with spelling, grammar, or just plain old agreement etc.) that you'd like to see modernized? That is, should it adopt your mistake as the norm?

Edit:
    Rofl... I totally forgot that that word was blocked... I mean the latin and english slang word are not related but it's still funny. The word is spelt see you em.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Red would probably want to have paid more attention in the beginning, but since he's autistic he had little incentive to check out characters and their context.

Man, I wish I was better at plot twists with my fic... But people like SilverSmeargleSplatter know the background for most of my characters and why they're so damaged. At least most of you won't know, unless you've done some snooping.

https://www.crackerboxpalace.com/verypurple.jpg

*Vomit*

What do you do to avoid purple prose/patching?

Last edited:

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    What do you do to avoid purple prose/patching?

wikipedia said:
    Modern instances of purple prose can often be found in romance novels.

I read that, than lol'd then serious'd.

I can see pp working for a specific character or parody, maybe even fics (I mean it's not like they are serious published works, but I wouldn't want to read it in books, aside from excerpts. Even the narrator should be speaking human... not being mysterious... You can be mysterious just by leaving certain things out and alluding to them...

Anyway, I'd expand on that, but I gotta go to class.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • What do you do to avoid purple prose/patching?
    Redstar, that is seriously disgusting me. Makes me wanna go finish Brisingr. I don't have a problem with purple prose because description isn't one of my strong points anyways.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back