• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Idea Exchange Thread- Inspiring Bigger Things.

Kokio

Just hatched, yo
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 1, 2014
Nothing is too intense - but I'm curious as to where your story is going. If your Mother is ill, you won't want to be away from home for too long... do you get her medicine and then start the ~main~ story? Do you somehow get separated and have to fight your way back home as quickly as possible? Lots of ways to go with this :) seems interesting.

Yes, I now see too that before even starting out on the main story there are many possibilities for the plot already. I admit I haven't gotten that far yet. It took me roughly 30 minutes just to debate what the starters would be among a group of friends. -cough-

I've come up with two possibilities that could happen.

When you've just been recruited by the professor, he'll reveal that all along he has known of your situation. Perhaps a soft spot on such a hard exterior? I sort of don't want there to be a soft spot as the professor might fall back into that cliche buddy buddy mold of professors in previous hacks/generations. Once he reassures you that his team will take care of everything, an otherworld sprite would be blocking the entrance to your home leaving you with no choice but to begin your journey. Of course he wouldn't give you any room to refuse his "kind" gesture. In a sense he's just impatient and doesn't want any hindrances to get between you and your research. Money, money, money.

Another possibility could be that you're somehow able to keep your ill mother a secret. This would mean that you're going to side-track from your assignment and head to the closest pokémart. Getting to this neighboring town would mean crossing a forest. It won't be some small route like Route 2 to hopefully stay true to the hack, but I'm somewhat worried that having that extended route and trainers would be too challenging to have right off of the bat. Once you reach the other side of the forest you'd go into the nearest pokémart in a city that for now remains unnamed. The clerk could either give you a custom item or merely a pokémon antidote since I haven't decided yet. If he gives you antidote I could just continue to go off of the self-made theory that humans are also able to use some poké medicine, but it is significantly less effective on the human body than a pokémon. Once you backtrack slipping past the numerous guards/scientists patrolling your town grounds you deliver the medicine to your mother. When you step out of your home the professor will catch you and firmly tell you that you are prohibited to come back to the city unless for research purposes.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
When you've just been recruited by the professor, he'll reveal that all along he has known of your situation. Perhaps a soft spot on such a hard exterior? I sort of don't want there to be a soft spot as the professor might fall back into that cliche buddy buddy mold of professors in previous hacks/generations. Once he reassures you that his team will take care of everything, an otherworld sprite would be blocking the entrance to your home leaving you with no choice but to begin your journey. Of course he wouldn't give you any room to refuse his "kind" gesture. In a sense he's just impatient and doesn't want any hindrances to get between you and your research. Money, money, money.

I think I prefer this route (although elements of the other could certainly be thrown in). Perhaps this 'soft' act is just a play by the professor, and the player will later find out they've been fooled?

Perhaps the professor is getting something out of this journey? Could the pokedex play a part? Using information you gather for something sinister? Would certainly be a spin on the usual professor who gives such advanced technology to random kids :P.

Kokio

Just hatched, yo
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 1, 2014
I think I prefer this route (although elements of the other could certainly be thrown in). Perhaps this 'soft' act is just a play by the professor, and the player will later find out they've been fooled?

Perhaps the professor is getting something out of this journey? Could the pokedex play a part? Using information you gather for something sinister? Would certainly be a spin on the usual professor who gives such advanced technology to random kids :P.

I also meant to imply that you would have to cross a forest period to get out of the starting town from the other route idea. The kind act could also be because he wants to get you out onto the field as soon as possible to start acquiring information as quickly as possible. The more research the professor acquires it could contribute to his secret project? He could be trying to create a monstrous pokémon that he intends to use to fight his way to the top and destroy many things. Later down the story you could also shut down his project by destroying the cloning tubes and such that he's using for his experiments?

As a little feature you could revisit your town/home every 50(?) pokédex entries. You can use the excuse that you're checking in with the professor periodically since the 50 count could be set as a milestone. When you visit your mother she could give you hints if you're stuck in the game and various valuable items. This could range from potions to TMs.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 17, 2015
How bout a Pokemon game where the Pokemon realized after about 100 years that they are much stronger than these stupid humans and the world should work the other way round! So now you are a Pokemon who is going to catch some humans(they lure them in with **** posters).
It would be a joke ROM nothing more than that.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
I have this idea for something that involves, bettering how the player interacts in the overworld, and how it can improve and evolve, as you play. THUS THE CHARACTER UPGRADING SYSTEM WAS BORN:

So check this out, the player, is very limited to how he or she goes about the overworld. Left, Right, Up, Down. And where the player wanted to go was barred by things like HMs and checkflags. What if, those limitations can be removed and improved, overtime? For instance, not only does the Pokemon grow through battles, so do you. At a certain point, you accumulate skill points, which will be a new currency system, that simply there with vars.

Now we can get certain upgrades, by talking to some guy, or accessing something in the menu. The ASM for Diagonal Walking, Running on Ledges, and so on is there, so there is at least a start. We can have things like how often you find shinies, or how often you run into wild Pokemon, well in general. Heck, have something that lowers the price of disposable items at the mart.

But here's the catch, there are only so many skill points, you can obtain. But it isn't like these things, are required for progression, heck even for completion. It'll add so much depth to replayability because you can try again, with a different set of upgrades and get secrets, you couldn't get, maybe. Well that's my idea.

Also I'm going to accept request for indexing your ideas, on the first post, just give me the link to your reply/post via VM/PM, and I'll edit the first post. This way, you can have your idea heard, for people, who just wanna get ideas and get out.

Last edited:

Kokio

Just hatched, yo
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 1, 2014
I have this idea for something that involves, bettering how the player interacts in the overworld, and how it can improve and evolve, as you play. THUS THE CHARACTER UPGRADING SYSTEM WAS BORN:

So check this out, the player, is very limited to how he or she goes about the overworld. Left, Right, Up, Down. And where the player wanted to go was barred by things like HMs and checkflags. What if, those limitations can be removed and improved, overtime? For instance, not only does the Pokemon grow through battles, so do you. At a certain point, you accumulate skill points, which will be a new currency system, that simply there with vars.

Now we can get certain upgrades, by talking to some guy, or accessing something in the menu. The ASM for Diagonal Walking, Running on Ledges, and so on is there, so there is at least a start. We can have things like how often you find shinies, or how often you run into wild Pokemon, well in general. Heck, have something that lowers the price of disposable items at the mart.

But here's the catch, there are only so many skill points, you can obtain. But it isn't like these things, are required for progression, heck even for completion. It'll add so much depth to replayability because you can try again, with a different set of upgrades and get secrets, you couldn't get, maybe. Well that's my idea.

Also I'm going to accept request for indexing your ideas, on the first post, just give me the link to your reply/post via VM/PM, and I'll edit the first post. This way, you can have your idea heard, for people, who just wanna get ideas and get out.

This would add a lot more appeal to the game to some people. Your concept reminds me of a game on Steam, but the name slips me. It's pretty much an rpg and as you go on your travels you'll encounter these "blocks" that "upgrade" your character/game. For example you can unlock the ability to talk to someone and you can upgrade your rendering from 2D to 3D.

I think this would be a lot of fun because everyone wants to excel and get that one ability that would aid them in the completion of the game. I believe at first it would be a little tedious unless you make the skill points easily available in the beginning of the game. Some upgrades could increase the chances of encountering rare pokémon. Your character depending on the upgrade path you choose could have passive abilities from the skill tree. A passive ability could be for example +15% catch rate for any and all pokémon disregarding their HP at the max level for that certain upgrade. The max could be [3/3] and at [1/3] could only be +5%.

DJTiki

Years
This would add a lot more appeal to the game to some people. Your concept reminds me of a game on Steam, but the name slips me. It's pretty much an rpg and as you go on your travels you'll encounter these "blocks" that "upgrade" your character/game. For example you can unlock the ability to talk to someone and you can upgrade your rendering from 2D to 3D.

The game is called EvoLand. It was okay, in my opinion. I loved how it used its mechanics.

I think this would be a lot of fun because everyone wants to excel and get that one ability that would aid them in the completion of the game. I believe at first it would be a little tedious unless you make the skill points easily available in the beginning of the game. Some upgrades could increase the chances of encountering rare pokémon. Your character depending on the upgrade path you choose could have passive abilities from the skill tree. A passive ability could be for example +15% catch rate for any and all pokémon disregarding their HP at the max level for that certain upgrade. The max could be [3/3] and at [1/3] could only be +5%.

So we have:
●Catch Rate
●Movement
●Shinies

Perhaps some upgrades to Attacking prower, or even extra EV Yield. o.o

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
IMO if you're going to have skills, they shouldn't have such a direct impact on the main mechanics. Fiddling with the catch-rate or movement would be really frustrating for a player.

I much prefer hacks that have unique skills, that aid in item making/finding or perhaps even breeding. That way, they're non-essential but they add an interesting twist on the normal play, another layer of detail. Normally I'd shy away from a point-allocated system, and stick with a raw the-more-you-use-it system.

Hatch 5 eggs -> Breeding lv2
Hatch 10 more eggs -> lv3

etc.etc. That way it rewards players for actually using those skills. Perhaps giving them a unique experience over someone who doesn't bother.

DJTiki

Years
So maybe the skills that get accumulated correlate to what you like to do? So if we breed more, than the egg hatching steps become lower and lower, or you have a better chance to just hatch a shiny?

That would be an intresting concept. That way, you get improvements on what you, the player, likes to.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
So maybe the skills that get accumulated correlate to what you like to do? So if we breed more, than the egg hatching steps become lower and lower, or you have a better chance to just hatch a shiny?

That would be an intresting concept. That way, you get improvements on what you, the player, likes to.

Yep - it also means there's no shortcuts. Like you can't just allocated 10 points in breeding straight off the bat without actually putting the time in :).

MAKE THEM WORK FOR IT >:3

Kokio

Just hatched, yo
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 1, 2014
Or we could have a skill that increases the likability of encountering a wild shiney. Of course it wouldn't be by much though or else they wouldn't be special anymore.

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
Years
I'm offline for a day and the replies just pile on! Right, let's get started...

Another possibility could be that you're somehow able to keep your ill mother a secret. This would mean that you're going to side-track from your assignment and head to the closest pokémart. Getting to this neighboring town would mean crossing a forest. It won't be some small route like Route 2 to hopefully stay true to the hack, but I'm somewhat worried that having that extended route and trainers would be too challenging to have right off of the bat. Once you reach the other side of the forest you'd go into the nearest pokémart in a city that for now remains unnamed. The clerk could either give you a custom item or merely a pokémon antidote since I haven't decided yet. If he gives you antidote I could just continue to go off of the self-made theory that humans are also able to use some poké medicine, but it is significantly less effective on the human body than a pokémon. Once you backtrack slipping past the numerous guards/scientists patrolling your town grounds you deliver the medicine to your mother. When you step out of your home the professor will catch you and firmly tell you that you are prohibited to come back to the city unless for research purposes.
I'm really enjoyed these ideas, bringing a few things from each together would really improve the idea overall, in my opinion.

For a darker approach.. Perhaps you go and get the medicine, but you fail to make it in time, and your mother dies. The Professor then consoles you a bit and says "You will always have a place here." and in so doing, wins your trust. Your journey starts as a means of saving your ailing mother, but soon becomes a journey to find your father while aiding the professor with his research. Upon finding your father, you give him the terrible news and the two of your mourn, before being interrupted by the professor's aide who demands that you continue onward immediately. Your father goes into a rage and yells at the aide for a bit, and the aide's replies allow you to realize that their research isn't going to be used for good. With this realization, you and your father part ways to begin dismantling the professor's schemes and you continue gathering information for the Pokedex, while keeping an eye open for anything strange. Your journey ultimately leads you to a showdown with the professor.

Ehh, weird idea, but thought I'd share it anyway.
Would certainly be a spin on the usual professor who gives such advanced technology to random kids :P.
Yeah, that part always confused me. This is extremely advanced technology, why is this old guy just handing it to some kid who has no idea where they are going or what they are going to do? Maybe he's senile...
He could be trying to create a monstrous pokémon that he intends to use to fight his way to the top and destroy many things. Later down the story you could also shut down his project by destroying the cloning tubes and such that he's using for his experiments?

As a little feature you could revisit your town/home every 50(?) pokédex entries. You can use the excuse that you're checking in with the professor periodically since the 50 count could be set as a milestone. When you visit your mother she could give you hints if you're stuck in the game and various valuable items. This could range from potions to TMs.
Cloning tubes: Cliched, isn't it? Still, I guess it would work.

Rewards: If she's sick, how can she get these items? We'll need to think of a good way for her to get them. Maybe your father sends them instead? He might have heard that you started your journey and has been sending gifts to help you. But this also raises the question of where he is. If he can access the mail system, then he obviously is near a city. Why wouldn't he come home? We need an answer for this, if we plan to add this to the main idea.

More on this later.
DJTiKi said:
Lol, I don't think I like this one.

The way I see it, we discuss these ideas a lot, and try to make them better. If someone wants the ideas they should at least have a look at the other suggestions herein as well. I don't see a point to indexing the ideas, since there is a lot of discussion (and you would probably be editing that first post A LOT lol)
Yep - it also means there's no shortcuts. Like you can't just allocated 10 points in breeding straight off the bat without actually putting the time in :).

MAKE THEM WORK FOR IT >:3
Skill System: Ah, something else I've thought up more than a few times.

First things first: If we want to add a skill system, we need to decide what purpose the system will serve. Will it be a required system, as an alternative to the HM system? Or will it be an optional system as suggested above? (hatch 5 eggs = Lv 2 et cetera)

If we go for the optional system, we will want some good rewards for it. Hatching eggs is a perfect example.
Level:

1. 0+ Eggs Hatched - Normal Hatch Time
  2. 5+ Eggs Hatched - 20% Reduction
  3. 20+ Eggs Hatched - 50% Reduction
  4. 50+ Eggs Hatched - 75% Reduction
  5. 100+ Eggs Hatched - Instant Hatch
Little question: We would need ASM for this, wouldn't we?

Maybe add a Shop Discount system? Royalty Points is my suggestion.

Spoiler:

And now to my own idea...
Spoiler:
(This might be my best idea yet.. though it still needs some work, it's a little rough around the edges lol)

Well that took ages.. Finally all caught up lol. Thanks for all the activity people! Let's keep this thread going~

EDIT:
Or we could have a skill that increases the likability of encountering a wild shiney. Of course it wouldn't be by much though or else they wouldn't be special anymore.
Another idea would be to increase the chances of a Pokemon having PokeRus! I've only encountered it once in all my years of playing Pokemon, and it was in Pokemon Silver.. I loved that virus~

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
But doesn't the Shiny Charm do that? Would the skill increase the chances by more than that?

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
But doesn't the Shiny Charm do that? Would the skill increase the chances by more than that?

The Shiny Charm doesn't exist in Gen 3 games >< which are the ones people are (mainly) referring to here.

If we go for the optional system, we will want some good rewards for it. Hatching eggs is a perfect example.
Level:

1. 0+ Eggs Hatched - Normal Hatch Time
  2. 5+ Eggs Hatched - 20% Reduction
  3. 20+ Eggs Hatched - 50% Reduction
  4. 50+ Eggs Hatched - 75% Reduction
  5. 100+ Eggs Hatched - Instant Hatch
Little question: We would need ASM for this, wouldn't we?

Answer... probably. There are ways around ASM, I think, such as a script that manually changes how many egg cycles are needed, for the species you are breeding (or a specific species) when you pick up the egg. It would need to be automatically doing the maths though (should be OK, since pokemon data is a fixed number of bytes). MESSY but doable.

Insta-hatch is actually a special in FR, so that one is easy ^_^.

Last edited:

ShivaDF

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
The Shiny Charm doesn't exist in Gen 3 games >< which are the ones people are (mainly) referring to here.
I know that, but are they saying the skill should work exactly like the shiny charm does in Gen 5 and beyond?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 1, 2014
I'm not much of a hacker. I play around a bit with overworld and map editing, but I think it would be rad if there were a game with an Old West focus. Maybe like Team Rocket could be bandits, and you were deputized or something. There could be a lot more focus on the farmy pokemon like tauros, miltank, and ponyta. And probably a few fakemon? IDK, just an idea.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I know that, but are they saying the skill should work exactly like the shiny charm does in Gen 5 and beyond?

Yes I think so, the Shiny Charm doesn't really add much chance, unless you're putting a lot of hours in / planning to breed a few hundred.

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
Years
Answer... probably. There are ways around ASM, I think, such as a script that manually changes how many egg cycles are needed, for the species you are breeding (or a specific species) when you pick up the egg. It would need to be automatically doing the maths though (should be OK, since pokemon data is a fixed number of bytes). MESSY but doable.

Insta-hatch is actually a special in FR, so that one is easy ^_^.
I don't know any ASM, and I'm loathe to try and learn any code languages, so I'm happy there is a way to do so without ASM.

Wait, what? Insta-hatch is in FR? How exactly? Must learn nao.
I'm not much of a hacker. I play around a bit with overworld and map editing, but I think it would be rad if there were a game with an Old West focus. Maybe like Team Rocket could be bandits, and you were deputized or something. There could be a lot more focus on the farmy pokemon like tauros, miltank, and ponyta. And probably a few fakemon? IDK, just an idea.
I like this idea. Could easily replace the bike with a Ponyta/Rapidash or something. A few side quests could revolve around the player guarding convoys that are typically attacked by Team Rocket en route. Though Team Rocket wouldn't exactly fit. They would definitely need a new name lol. I can't think of anything that would fit, but rockets shouldn't exist in a game based on the Old West, so having Team Rocket wouldn't really fit.

DJTiki

Years
This thread has reached 1000 VIEWS. :DDD

Thanks for making the start, of something successul. With that said, ever thought of a way to just completely have time-travel aspects, or something similar? With a press of a button, go back to older times, move a few things, and create paradoxes that affect the future?

ShivaDF

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
With that said, ever thought of a way to just completely have time-travel aspects, or something similar? With a press of a button, go back to older times, move a few things, and create paradoxes that affect the future?
It could be done in a way similar to To the Moon, with a hub showing all the times you can eventually have access to. Well, those were memories, but you get the idea, right?

Back