• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Idea Exchange Thread- Inspiring Bigger Things.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Interestig concept to be a rival, but doesn't that go against being the rival, unless you are forced to lose to the better player. Then if you save the day, then techically it would make the rival the hero in the end.

How about a shift in perspecitve where you experience a Rival's psychi in losing and such?

To me that doesn't seem like a hugely innovative thing - it's not uncommon in games for you to sometimes lose, sometimes win against your rival or the enemy. Plus the whole 'Rival' term doesn't really work, I mean in the main games you are a rival to your rival. Everyone is a rival.

However, taking the idea of playing the game from a losing side - what if you were one of those 'bad' characters that never get a shot in the limelight. The main rival is normally important, skilled and pretty badass but the other friends tend to be left behind. What if you played as that friend, forever in their friends' shadows?

The game could start off pretty friendly; with you being trained with your friends, hearing about their great stories, being in awe of them. Then a big event would either remove them, their pokemon, or their ability to battle out of the equation leaving you to be the hero. Not exactly ground breaking but it's a rather atypical beginning.

slightly inspired by Sakura in the naru-sasu-saku triangle

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2017
    I'd like to make a more "competitive" pokemon hack. Since I got that idea a few days ago, I don't have much to offer that would differ from other hacks.
    However, here are some things I would change/add so far (I'll surely use a 3rd gen ROM as a base):
    Spoiler:

I'll add more to it, after doing some research.

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
    Years
  • I don't want this thread to die completely lol. So I'll try to brainstorm some ideas while posting this message.. Let's see what I can come up with lol.

~Mew's New Clone~
    Mew's DNA was used to create Mewtwo, so why couldn't it be done again to create an even more powerful clone? Surely technology has come a long way since then, and this could make a great centerpiece for a hack.

~Ruins of Pallet~
    The idea here is to place the player in a destroyed Pallet Town, where the only survivors are Professor Oak (Gary Oak) and his sister/assistant Daisy Oak. The story would focus on the player's quest to rebuild Pallet Town, and discover the whole truth as to how the town was destroyed.

~Easter Surprise~
    A bit out of season, but if you get started now, it could be a nice present for Easter next year! So the story goes, hundreds of Pokemon Eggs are appearing in seemingly random places, and as a young trainer, the player goes about looking for the eggs, and whoever is hiding them! Along the way, s/he will find many interesting Pokemon that are not typically seen in the region, along with many unique individuals who have darker plans for the eggs, and the young Pokemon inside.

~Flood Town~
    A hack inspired by inFamous 2. First order of business: Karma system. The game's story would revolve around the Karma system of the game, set in a Kanto that has been flooded almost completely. As one of the few survivors you can choose to aid the people stranded in various high altitude places that have struggled to get food and are near death. You can either aid the people in building bridges and working alongside them, or you can be a menace and control the region through power. A very different experience from what we typically see in Pokemon games, but I think the right hacker could make this one really good.

~Tears of Onyx~
    An idea I had a while ago that I never expanded on. Born in Pewter City, the player has always wanted to become the Gym Leader, but a problem has the entire region in an uproar. Hundreds of Onyx have appeared and are causing havoc, leaving destruction in their wake. Professor Oak and Brock have agreed that you are the best for the job of figuring out what has the Onyx acting out by going to their home deep in Rock Tunnel. Once there, you notice a cavern that seems to be new, and you find a crystal Onyx. The crystal Onyx is sick and can only be healed with a legendary herb, which hasn't been seen in hundreds of years.

That's all for now. Hope these ideas are put to good use!

Indigo

The Novelist from Panju
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2019
    Oh my gosh this whole thread seems fun!

My ideas

1.)Character Customization: I'm not sure if this has been done before, but i imagine it could be too hard. Maybe putting on certain clothing just changes the sprite?

2.)Alternate Endings: Easier said than done.

Bliss

Years
  • Oh my gosh this whole thread seems fun!

My ideas

1.)Character Customization: I'm not sure if this has been done before, but i imagine it could be too hard. Maybe putting on certain clothing just changes the sprite?

2.)Alternate Endings: Easier said than done.
    My responses:

1.)Character Customization: I've tried this myself, and the main problem I ran into was the fact that each time I reloaded the game it would revert to the default sprite. I don't have much experience in hacking, so it might simply be that I didn't think of a way to prevent this, but that was my experience with a custom sprite change in game (triggered by player or by event... I tried to set it up so you would play a certain part of the game as the 'Ash-type' character, then the story continues as his son/daughter, but each time I reloaded it reverted to Ash's sprite. :/ )

2.)Alternate Endings: Actually, it would be pretty easy if you had the right knowledge.
    Spoiler:

And now for a new suggestion from me: Enhanced Karma System
    Spoiler:

Good to see this thread is still getting some attention. I'd really hate for such potential to be wasted.

Last edited:
    Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    I don't know about using alternate credits for an alternate ending, those are just a bunch of designer names? I'd go with alternate scripts myself if I were going that route. Easiest version is one set of scripts that activate with a flag you trigger with a 'yes' to a yes/no, and a second set to activate on the 'no'.

I'm thinking of making a hack where your old pokemon team died. :P And you eventually have the option of deciding to get revenge or not, kill or jail. I was also considering having a few towns in ruins. A bit dark, but yeah.

To perma-change sprites you'd need to change the sprite each time you loaded the game, perhaps by checking a var you set previously. The only way off the top of my head to do this would be a level script on every map, which sounds like a pain, altho' ideally it be more like 'goto this script here' you'd still have to go through every map and add that line. >_> A possibility. I wouldn't be surprised if someone already did this somewhere, though I'm no expert at all.

Edit: Oh, sorry, hah I misread you, you didn't say alternate credits at all. I'm a goof, my bad! I skim read way too often.

Bliss

Years
  • I don't know about using alternate credits for an alternate ending, those are just a bunch of designer names? I'd go with alternate scripts myself if I were going that route. Easiest version is one set of scripts that activate with a flag you trigger with a 'yes' to a yes/no, and a second set to activate on the 'no'.

I'm thinking of making a hack where your old pokemon team died. :P And you eventually have the option of deciding to get revenge or not, kill or jail. I was also considering having a few towns in ruins. A bit dark, but yeah.

To perma-change sprites you'd need to change the sprite each time you loaded the game, perhaps by checking a var you set previously. The only way off the top of my head to do this would be a level script on every map, which sounds like a pain, altho' ideally it be more like 'goto this script here' you'd still have to go through every map and add that line. >_> A possibility. I wouldn't be surprised if someone already did this somewhere, though I'm no expert at all.

Edit: Oh, sorry, hah I misread you, you didn't say alternate credits at all. I'm a goof, my bad! I skim read way too often.
    Haha it's fine. On certain threads I almost always skim through things instead of actually reading word for word lol. But for me, this thread is way too awesome to do that xD Well, in my opinion.

Character Sprite:
    Spoiler:

tl:dr - Can we change the load function from the main menu to include loading of a specific variable used in character creation/selection?

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    A town in ruin (type 2) - Someone else destroyed a town and I can donate money to it's reconstruction, or complete jobs to gain materials for the people that would live there still, were it not in ruin. Just something to consider.

It's like Pokemon meets oneofthosefarmygames, would be kind of a nice idea. Even just implementing that a bit in Vanilla FireRed would be cool.

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2019
    Let me write the things which I have been craving to see and play and feel, in a pokemon game.

Let me present you with a rough region map first (just to use as an example): http://s30.postimg.org/6nefjwv41/adf.png
    1) As you can see, there are "12" cities to feature a gym in one region, instead of usual 8 used in every game. What I am imagining is, the player starts the game but the game world doesn't go linear except the first part of the game. And no city on the world map is blocked or restricted from accessing early, so player can take on any gym he wants in any order, and can travel almost pretty much any city/town with freedom, and all gym leaders use 6 pokemon in battles, and the levels of gym leaders' pokemon are determined according to how much badges you've got before battling them (example; level 10 team in your first gym, level 20 if you've got one badge, level 25 if you've got two badges, level 30 if you've got three badges, and so on...), and both your pokemon and gym leaders' pokemon's level become fixed to that level for the duration of the gym battle, and your pokemon don't gain experience, and both you and gym leader can't use any healing items (just like battle frontier/battle tower/world championship/battle subway etc. etc. from original pokemon titles). So this means no over-leveling the gym leader and winning easy battles against them or spamming potions, every gym leader has 6 pokemon, and both of your teams' levels are equal to each other, and even the worse, you cannot challenge the same gym leader ever again if you lose to him just once, even if you save before you battle him, the result of the gym battles are recorded independently from usual savefiles in one game! So this is why "12" gyms exist, the pokemon league still requires only 8 badges to participate, but out of 8 gyms, if you **** up at half of them, you can still go to 4 other cities and challenge 4 other gyms for second chances. All of these things, would make a particular pokemon game way more challenging and apart from any other pokemon games, and makes gym battling more strategy-oriented and requiring proper training of pokemon, instead of usual grinding and sweeping through of a gym with one pokemon's one move... The games always show it like every gym is a nothing special piece of cake, and you are the only one who is participating in pokemon league, as if you are the chosen one and on a fantasy oriented quest to take down 4 evil fiends. On the other hand every trainer you face on the next routes have higher leveled pokemon than a gym leader. And in spite of that it feels like nobody participates in that pokemon league. That is like a joke. This shouldn't be the case... I think this would be much more realistic and how it is like in the anime, lol. About the entrances/gates on the image, they are merely the only things restricting the player from advancing through at the first 2 gyms, and player needs to beat at least two gyms out of 4 in inner square in order to be able to travel to other cities and challenge other gyms. That's the only restriction keeping the player from visiting other cities that I've thought for this sketch.

2) Have you ever felt like that you are the only challenger of the pokemon league, and elite four literally has no life, because even if there are other challengers, they have to constantly battle and crush challengers, heal up quickly and battle another challenger, 24 hour of a 365 days of a year? The pokemon league should also be like how it is in the anime. Meaning, there is an actual tournament, and it doesn't feel like that you are the only one who challenges elite four to become the champion in game. There should be firstly a tournament section. You fight against randomly chosen trainers every battle. And healing items are still banned, but levels of the pokemon are not fixed, so you can grind and train your pokemon to your heart's content before participating in the tournament, also pokemon can gain experience through battles too. There should be a first 4 preliminary rounds, which you use only 3 pokemon to battle, and you can always change your team and ofcourse heal your party after each round and take a break before going to battle in next round. And you battle on a certain type of field each round previously mentioned by the announcer (namely those could be grass, rock, ice and lava fields) and those fields gives advantages to certain types. After first 4 rounds, trainers are allowed to use 6 pokemon in next 4 rounds, and every battle takes place on a regular field which doesn't give any advantages to any types. You fight against noticably tougher opponents on these rounds, and some of those trainers even should be a special familiar NPC who is known to be strong in the game (ex: player's rival). And the 8th round should be the final round, and after beating that and becoming the winner of the tournament, player should gain the right to challenge the elite four and the champion if he/she wants! And finally fighting against these elite four and champion should be just like how it is in the old vanilla games, meaning you can use items and healing and stuff, anything goes! And you can challenge any elite four member in any order you want...

So those are my big dreams, and those are what I want and expect from a pokemon game. Because seriously, I don't really want to play a linear pokemon game anymore, which it's compulsory to beat certain gyms in certain orders and/or certain cities being available after beating gyms, and I don't want to just go and beat elite four after gaining all badges, I want these things to be like how they are in anime. I want them to be organic.
    Is there a hack/independent fan game like this, yet?

Last edited:
    Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    @ Prixy
    Oh! That could be possible. You know, the game has to load the character sprite / check what gender you are. Perhaps that could be re-pointed to a different check-multiple shizzle stuff and then load sprite function. Would require research; I've never played with displaying different sprites and I don't know where the load player sprite / gender function would be (hopefully static and not moving around to different locations), I'm a bit of a newb. Repointing to a different function though, I might be able to do that as that's just basic hex/asm and I've repointed things before... I'll consider that as an idea for the future when I'm a little more comfortable with coding, then. If someone else wants to do it or point out how this method won't work of course feel free. I don't claim to be an expert coder, I just know a few basics.

@ erenu

woah, that's quite a lot of features to demand, although if you are willing to code it yourself that would be awesome. Some of that has been done. AshGray had a tournament in it. There are hacks here and there of the '6 pokemon for a gym leader' variety I think. No items... I don't know how one would disable that, I don't know if that's been done.
    'Random' trainers, I don't think it would be worth it, as then you'd have the problem of having to figure out all the trainers you've already fought so the game doesn't send them out again, which could be done in a loop I guess but it still seems very unnecessary if you are just going to fight them all eventually. Oh, well, randomized trainers on the other hand, that'd be interesting, where the same trainer has different pokemon each time, you'd have to point to his/her mons stored location and change them which sounds like a pain in butt. x_X The only real benefit to a random trainer like that would be replayability perhaps or spamming that trainer in diff locations and re-fighting them.

Having the trainers you fight level-match your mons is definitely a possibility and I swear I saw a hack somewhere that was planning to do that, although I don't remember which one. You could do a level check before the match and alter the enemy levels with ASM I guess if you knew the stored hex location of the enemy levels. Alternatively, and this would be a lot easier, you could simply check level and disallow fighting enemies too weak or too strong (how I probably would go for a tournament, go pokemon stadium style and only allow certain mons entry), although that would introduce somewhat linear play which you say you don't like, though if one could visit any town they could still challenge any place they liked.

I've been interested in possibly potentially writing a tournament-based hack at some point, and I've written a basic level checking script that uses hackmew's check max level ASM routine as a base. All it does is check if you have at least two pokemon, below level 25, and make you take a step back away from the entry point if you don't meet qualifications. Theoretically you'd give a warning you should save first in case you over-level and can't leave the tournament and re-enter without getting a new team, and also have the actual tournament itself be a lot lower level than the cap (let's say 15 in this case) so overleveling is unlikely unless you are one of those weirdoes who grinds to level 100 before the first gym (they exist >_>).

It's my very first pokemon script actually, so I'm rather pleased with it! It's also pretty simple, so anyone who wanted to implement such a thing themselves could write it too I bet. I would like to play a stadium-ish hack a lot. Disabling items would def. be a bonus for such a hack, though I have no idea how to do that. X_X Oh well.

Bliss

Years
  • @ Prixy
    Oh! That could be possible. You know, the game has to load the character sprite / check what gender you are. Perhaps that could be re-pointed to a different check-multiple shizzle stuff and then load sprite function. Would require research; I've never played with displaying different sprites and I don't know where the load player sprite / gender function would be (hopefully static and not moving around to different locations), I'm a bit of a newb. Repointing to a different function though, I might be able to do that as that's just basic hex/asm and I've repointed things before... I'll consider that as an idea for the future when I'm a little more comfortable with coding, then. If someone else wants to do it or point out how this method won't work of course feel free. I don't claim to be an expert coder, I just know a few basics.
    I was soooo tired when I typed that earlier message lol.. both of them come to think of it. Finally got some sleep last night and I didn't even remember this thread having new replies when I woke up!

Anyways..

I wish I knew how to re-point the load function, that would allow for so many possibilities on it's own. But as I said, I have almost no experience in hacking outside of using a few tools (and not very much of that kind of experience either lol) so there's no way I can figure this kind of stuff out.. So it's really nice to see that someone else has appreciation enough to consider testing it in the future. Thank you~

Now comes a question regarding character creation:
    ~Would you rather see a true character creation system, with choices as to hats, shirts/coats/robes, pants, shoes, et cetera; or would you rather see a character selection system with predesigned characters?~

I, personally, would rather see a full-fledged Character Creation system, but I realize that some people might not want that forced onto them, so my question should have some relevance to parts of the community.

Random note: It's 7PM here, Nov 6th. My birthday is Nov 7th, but PokéCommunity's welcome message for me is "Happy Birthday, Prixy!" Umm, you're a bit early, PC. Must be a time zone difference lol. And here I had assumed that PC was based in California USA haha. Random note is random.

Years
    • He or They
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    Well, having pre-set characters would definitely be easier! o_o I don't think I'd have a hope at all of coding something like that second option, you'd need different sprites for hats, shoes, etc which the game doesn't have by default, and then splicing them together. Changing pallets would be a lot easier I think, Maybe some very ambitious person could do this, but it's beyond even my theoretical knowledge. XD And you don't need to thank me, I'll probably fail badly even at the easier version.

It just occurred to me that not only would you need to repoint the function (Well, probably repoint, since I don't think you'd have enough room to just alter the original function) but you'd need to make the original 'customize your character' script too- perhaps (though I have no idea how to do this, you say you've customized characters before?) this could be done by a special 'wardrobe' room where you talk to someone to customize yourself?

Ah, happy soon to be birthday!

Bliss

Years
  • Well, having pre-set characters would definitely be easier! o_o I don't think I'd have a hope at all of coding something like that second option, you'd need different sprites for hats, shoes, etc which the game doesn't have by default, and then splicing them together. Changing pallets would be a lot easier I think, Maybe some very ambitious person could do this, but it's beyond even my theoretical knowledge. XD And you don't need to thank me, I'll probably fail badly even at the easier version.

It just occurred to me that not only would you need to repoint the function (Well, probably repoint, since I don't think you'd have enough room to just alter the original function) but you'd need to make the original 'customize your character' script too- perhaps (though I have no idea how to do this, you say you've customized characters before?) this could be done by a special 'wardrobe' room where you talk to someone to customize yourself?

Ah, happy soon to be birthday!
    Haha thanks. I feel old...

Anyway, the character creation system I had before was in an RPG Maker game, not a hack, so it was a completely different system, where I actually created each article of clothing and saved the options in folders designated for each choice. Unfortunately, I broke it lol. I couldn't get the script to work properly, and eventually I wound up with a couple of complete trainer sprites with hats on their stomaches and a floating Pokéball over the right shoulder (top left of image) so yeah, it was a little bit broken lol. I eventually gave up and said "Nope! No more coding for Prixy!" lol.

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2019
    Is it possible to make a hack centered around time travel? I have always wondered if that idea is even possible...

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • Is it possible to make a hack centered around time travel? I have always wondered if that idea is even possible...

It's definetly possible! What you would do is have a bunch of flags and vars in place so that another map was altered by your actions. So having 3 regions(Past, Present, Future) and if something happened in the past, then it would go through a bunch of checks in the timeline and setmaptile or something in the future. In theory, it is a very possible thing.

Bliss

Years
  • Is it possible to make a hack centered around time travel? I have always wondered if that idea is even possible...

It's definetly possible! What you would do is have a bunch of flags and vars in place so that another map was altered by your actions. So having 3 regions(Past, Present, Future) and if something happened in the past, then it would go through a bunch of checks in the timeline and setmaptile or something in the future. In theory, it is a very possible thing.
    DJTiKi did a pretty good job of explaining one such way to go about it, but you could go even further if you really wanted to.

By setting up flags for sprite appearance/location you could re-use the same map for 10+ different years (depending on how far into the future/past you want to go) thought it would require a bit of coding, it could easily be done.

I'll use the Old Man who teaches you how to catch Pokémon in Red/Blue/FR/LG as an example: There is a flag set for whether or not he has had his coffee. (When you deliver Oak's Parcel back in Pallet) If this flag has not been set, the old man will be laying on the road, preventing you from going anywhere. But once the flag is set he is found walking around the area instead. You could easily use such a function to change what NPCs say and how they react to the player's presence, among other things. Also, you could set a few NPCs to only display after a flag has been set or cleared, so that you only have NPCs from that 'time' in the area. This way you could fit more on one map, without needing to make a complete clone of the region.

As always, if someone out there thinks they can do better with explaining this, feel free to do so! This thread is all about sharing ideas and building upon them!

I hope that helps a bit, Maverick225. :3

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Ummm so I have had these two ideas in my head for some time now....
    EBR- It's called Emerald Beta Rumors. Any and almost all 'playground rumors' will be in here. Like when your friend told you to use cut on that truck 225 times and then strength to find the elusive New, or that going to the Space Center in Mossdeep will allow you to travel to space for Deoxys and/or Jirachi. I'm hunting for all the rumors I can from any games for this, including ones I've only heard once.

PMV- PreciousMetals Version. Anyone who knows the Pokemon shipping names will have realized this is Gold/Silver's shipping name, and half of them would have guessed this is a Johto remake. Sorry, I do comedy, not romance. But it will not only just be Johot remade- There will be a new rival(still using Silver, but now Gold/Kris will be your rival as well) who will have a better plotline than Ethan/Lyra did in HGSS. There will also be a lot more changes in Kanto- Silver and your second rival will appear there too, with their own stories. As well as the yet to be named 'Hoenn Island/Rival Bridge' accessible after defeating Red.

Do these sound OK?

Bliss

Years
  • Ummm so I have had these two ideas in my head for some time now....
    EBR- It's called Emerald Beta Rumors. Any and almost all 'playground rumors' will be in here. Like when your friend told you to use cut on that truck 225 times and then strength to find the elusive New, or that going to the Space Center in Mossdeep will allow you to travel to space for Deoxys and/or Jirachi. I'm hunting for all the rumors I can from any games for this, including ones I've only heard once.

PMV- PreciousMetals Version. Anyone who knows the Pokemon shipping names will have realized this is Gold/Silver's shipping name, and half of them would have guessed this is a Johto remake. Sorry, I do comedy, not romance. But it will not only just be Johot remade- There will be a new rival(still using Silver, but now Gold/Kris will be your rival as well) who will have a better plotline than Ethan/Lyra did in HGSS. There will also be a lot more changes in Kanto- Silver and your second rival will appear there too, with their own stories. As well as the yet to be named 'Hoenn Island/Rival Bridge' accessible after defeating Red.

Do these sound OK?
    Wow, these sound incredible to me!

Being a fan of Gen I, II, and III I can't help but get excited at the concept of any Johto remake, and though I'm not familiar with the rumors surrounding Emerald, I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to seeing this turn from idea into hack!

As I mentioned above, I'm not familiar with Emerald's rumors, so I really don't have anything to mention on that one, except that I'm looking forward to seeing it move forward, and eventually see a release.

I'd suggest taking some time to polish these ideas and starting your thread in the Beginner's Lounge. These are some really good ideas in my honest opinion, and I look forward to seeing you progress with them. :)

A couple of questions...
    Spoiler:

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • Wow, these sound incredible to me!

Being a fan of Gen I, II, and III I can't help but get excited at the concept of any Johto remake, and though I'm not familiar with the rumors surrounding Emerald, I can honestly say that I'm looking forward to seeing this turn from idea into hack!

As I mentioned above, I'm not familiar with Emerald's rumors, so I really don't have anything to mention on that one, except that I'm looking forward to seeing it move forward, and eventually see a release.

I'd suggest taking some time to polish these ideas and starting your thread in the Beginner's Lounge. These are some really good ideas in my honest opinion, and I look forward to seeing you progress with them. :)

A couple of questions...
    Spoiler:

Yeah, I think I've got a good polished storyline that isn't too different from Emerald, I've heard something about "Team Sky" and something special about their leader that I'm not willing to say yet, so I have a good storyline for him/them.

Spoiler:

Bliss

Years
  • Yeah, I think I've got a good polished storyline that isn't too different from Emerald, I've heard something about "Team Sky" and something special about their leader that I'm not willing to say yet, so I have a good storyline for him/them.

Spoiler:
    Haha that's awesome!

And yeah, you did the spoiler perfectly. I had issues early on, so I kinda had a nostalgia run after you said that lol.

I can see what you mean about the level curve, and I am looking forward to seeing a link in your description with a proper link to a thread, but you'll have to get a working demo (up to 1 Gym's completion for thread creation, in the progressing hacks section) before posting a thread for the game.

Keep your head up, and make sure you come back here often! You never know what you will find in The Idea Exchange Thread! :3

Good luck!

Back