• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon childish??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokedude45

Pro Trainer and Pokemon Fan
Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2010
    Hey Im thirteen my freinds are thirteen and twelve they dont think its childish my sisters ex boyfreind was played pokemon and he's sixteen

People think its childish because they dont understand the complexity of the art of pokemon and pokemon training

and a lot of people on here are older than me so....

Not every aspect of the game is necessarily childish but... you're still playing a game aimed primarily at children. o_O It's not a bad thing. It's definitely not childish just because of the anime.
    The game and the anime believe it or not are set for all ages not just children

when I was like 5 I heard my freinds mom saying my freind isnt allowd to watch pokemon To Violent XD

Conclusion It is set for all ages and is not nesesarilly childish nor is it for adults. Another thing I like about pokemon Everyone from big to small Can Become a Master!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2009
    i think the anime is pretty childish but the games are for all ages.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • In a way, yes, it is childish. The plot is fairly childish and aimed at young boys. Due to this, it is automatically labeled as a children's cartoon. However, in Diamond and Pearl, I have to disagree. With the way Shinji acts and how J tries to kill Ash whenever she sees him, it's becoming aimed more toward pubescent children, probably around the age of 13-ish. So, no, it's not completely childish, which I hope doesn't contradict my first statement after I explained my reasonings.​
    Shinji's attitude is supposed to be the opposite of Ash's goody-two-shoes style. He's basically the foil character. A person with a bad attitude doesn't make a TV show for an older audience, does it? J "seems" to want to kill Ash; not whenever she sees him. It's more of a violent attitude towards other humans, which isn't always a good influence on younger audiences. Yes, that is more adult in nature, but she's a more minor character in the show and her alone is not going to change the show as a whole.

Regardless, Ash still is the same goody-goody little please and thank you kid we used to know. That's always gonna be there, and there's not many adult things about that.

Hey Im thirteen my freinds are thirteen and twelve they dont think its childish my sisters ex boyfreind was played pokemon and he's sixteen

People think its childish because they dont understand the complexity of the art of pokemon and pokemon training

and a lot of people on here are older than me so....

The game and the anime believe it or not are set for all ages not just children

when I was like 5 I heard my freinds mom saying my freind isnt allowd to watch pokemon To Violent XD

Conclusion It is set for all ages and is not nesesarilly childish nor is it for adults. Another thing I like about pokemon Everyone from big to small Can Become a Master!
    "The art of Pokemon and Pokemon training" <- @_@ I don't see anything artistic about raising and strengthening piles of pixels. Pokemon training is more complex in the games with EVs / IVs / Natures, but, as I said, there are still a good amount of childish features stuck in there.

As I said before, just because some quantity of teenagers / adults like a show does not make it an adult show. There will always be a teenager out there who still likes bob the builder, etc. It doesn't make it any less of a children's show than it already is. The fact is that the majority of the fan base is young children, not 50 yr virgins.

Psst... notice how the age "5" is being used.

Mr. Tabachi

The Legendary Soldier of Love.
    Years
  • pokemon is not chilish!!! I am 7 big and i pla it lots =)
    dnt be bullieeeed ino not playin it for fuuuuuuuun =)
    =)
    =)

bullies are dum

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
    Years
  • Well, like so many before me have said, it's aimed at children, so I'm gonna have to say yes. It is "childish", like it or not.
    But that doesn't make it stupid or anything. I'm a 15 year old guy, and I still think Pokémon rules. (Although my friends would make fun of me for the rest of my life if they knew, haha)

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • 1. Yet they do exist and they're another way to play the game. They make competitive battling more interesting. And given the emphasis placed on them on the internet, it's doubtful that most people are unaware of their existence.
    2. In denial about what exactly? Yes that is why he made the games so they could enjoy collecting creatures like he did as a kid due to urbanization. However what's your point?

1) They were originally there to calculate the battle damage within the game. It's just that older fans learned how to manipulate this concept to battle with others outside of the game. When most of the people here were young, I'm sure that they played the games unaware of this fact.

Regarding your statement that because of the Internet many people should now what EVs and IVs are, I'm sure that young children aren't searching information about such things.

2) In denial that Pokémon is a franchise for kids.

.Fenris

Just a bystander, don't shoot!
    Years
  • The people howling about it being gay and childish would scream (Had they added anything 'mature') "ur a tard cuas Pokeman iz awsume cuz last's weeks episoad had Asch & Mikty making out four ahole episoad!!!!!1111one!!!11!!" and I'll bet every last penny I have on that.

~Magnus~

Platinum FC: 4683-5731-9795
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Nope but i wish everyone would stop thinking Magic and Pokemon are Yugioh or want others to think they think that because most know what it is (it even says it clearly on the thing <.<)

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2009
    Nah

I personally think that the Pokemon games aren't childish, they are very good 15 hour RPG's, the shows can be juvenile at times, but I mean who cares if someone else doesn't like what you like. Just do what ever floats your boat!

Fire Eagle

The Pokemon Legend
    Years
  • I would recommend that Pokemon isn't childish because I'm 17 years old and I'm still an addict to the Pokemon games.

Years
    • FL
    • Seen May 29, 2013
    Pokemon was created because Satoshi Tajiri enjoyed collecting bugs as a kid. However, as his neighborhood became more urbanized, options for bug catching are less. He wanted other children to enjoy what he enjoyed as a child. So yes, it is aimed at children and is marketed as such. However, this does not prevent older people from enjoying it.

Now, a statistic I have read increasingly is that the average age of the Pokemon fan has shifted above 12. If that is the case then I think Pokemon should try to market it a bit more towards an older audience. Might also lead to people being a lot less secretive about it.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • The people howling about it being gay and childish would scream (Had they added anything 'mature') "ur a tard cuas Pokeman iz awsume cuz last's weeks episoad had Asch & Mikty making out four ahole episoad!!!!!1111one!!!11!!" and I'll bet every last penny I have on that.

You would've lost every single one of your pennies then since I'm not interested in cartoon characters making out. Of course, if they had added mature themes in Pokémon, then it would be mature since it had mature themes.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Pokemon is mainly aimed for children, seeing as most of the merchandise kind of makes it obvious. The game features (EVs, IVs, Nature, etc) is just like any other RPG game, just people developed a way to battle competitively, and the people doesn't change what the game is meant to be for, children. Every RPG will have some way to calculate damage, etc.

Jedi_green5

Rare & Shiny Collector.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    You aren't grown up untill you think pokemon isn't childish, thats what i say >.<

RaikaCastillo

Spark Javelin!!!
    Years
  • Shinji's attitude is supposed to be the opposite of Ash's goody-two-shoes style. He's basically the foil character. A person with a bad attitude doesn't make a TV show for an older audience, does it? J "seems" to want to kill Ash; not whenever she sees him. It's more of a violent attitude towards other humans, which isn't always a good influence on younger audiences. Yes, that is more adult in nature, but she's a more minor character in the show and her alone is not going to change the show as a whole.

Regardless, Ash still is the same goody-goody little please and thank you kid we used to know. That's always gonna be there, and there's not many adult things about that.

"The art of Pokemon and Pokemon training" <- @_@ I don't see anything artistic about raising and strengthening piles of pixels. Pokemon training is more complex in the games with EVs / IVs / Natures, but, as I said, there are still a good amount of childish features stuck in there.

As I said before, just because some quantity of teenagers / adults like a show does not make it an adult show. There will always be a teenager out there who still likes bob the builder, etc. It doesn't make it any less of a children's show than it already is. The fact is that the majority of the fan base is young children, not 50 yr virgins.

Psst... notice how the age "5" is being used.
    1) They were originally there to calculate the battle damage within the game. It's just that older fans learned how to manipulate this concept to battle with others outside of the game. When most of the people here were young, I'm sure that they played the games unaware of this fact.

Regarding your statement that because of the Internet many people should now what EVs and IVs are, I'm sure that young children aren't searching information about such things.

2) In denial that Pokémon is a franchise for kids.

Okay. I will admit that Pokemon is primairly aimed at kids. However, I will not agree that it is childish. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/childish?r=75

Still, ALL video games except the M rated ones are aimed towards kids. You know why? Because those are the people who are most likely to play them as they're the ones who are most likely to have time.

Last edited:
    Years
  • In my opinion Pokemon is way too competitive to be considered childish.

Due to the anime however many adults would chide me on how I need to grow up and stop playing Pokemon.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Okay. I will admit that Pokemon is primairly aimed at kids. However, I will not agree that it is childish. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/childish?r=75
    Using the link that you just supplied, it says an antonym of childish is mature. The fact that Pokémon isn't mature means that it is childish according to dictionary.reference.com, correct?

Still, ALL video games except the M rated ones are aimed towards kids. You know why? Because those are the people who are most likely to play them as they're the ones who are most likely to have time.
    What anout the games rated T for teen? Wouldn't those games be targeted at teens and young adults since those are the people most likely to buy them? The wrestling franchise is aimed at everyone but relies on their older fans to buy their games and merchandise.

-Raiken-

L is real 2401
    Years
  • I guess it is all how you examine it. I do not think Pokemon is childish and to prove that I do not, I bring Pokemon dolls to school sometimes without a worry.

RaikaCastillo

Spark Javelin!!!
    Years
  • Using the link that you just supplied, it says an antonym of childish is mature. The fact that Pokémon isn't mature means that it is childish according to dictionary.reference.com, correct?

What anout the games rated T for teen? Wouldn't those games be targeted at teens and young adults since those are the people most likely to buy them? The wrestling franchise is aimed at everyone but relies on their older fans to buy their games and merchandise.

1. But did you read the rest of it? Particularly the synonyms.
    2. Yup those are aimed towards kids too. They're just aimed towards older kids.

EDIT: What I'm saying is that according to the connotations attached to the word, calling Pokemon "childish" implies that it's weird for anyone over a certain age to like it. Bob the Builder is childish. It's specifically geared towards very young children. Pokemon however, has a wider fanbase although it is geared towards kids it's geared towards a broader age range than Bob the Builder.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back