• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: "L'art pour l'art" - DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Am also going to have a December update wherever my thread has gone xD

Just got back to PC after a couple of months. Finished off uni for the year up until next March, so after I finish some stuff this upcoming week it's back to work on new art designish new pieces and crafting up an online portfolio/facebook page for my next year.

Jeebus I have been gone for too long and now Aiden and Ice are both Mods too wow (probs epic late congratz guys :pp)

Oh man, haven't spoken to you in a while. I can't wait to see what you can cook up in the next couple of months.

Thanks :) I've only been modded for a bit more than a week, so you're not that late, haha. Aiden, however...

I'm also trying to get back in pixeling a bit more, especially humans, and man, it's difficult to get good anatomy going.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Oh man, haven't spoken to you in a while. I can't wait to see what you can cook up in the next couple of months.

Will try my best~ but just like some of you guys I've been hitting the design slump pretty hard the last year. Hoping the lack of design classes I've had is enough to fuel me back into doing good art stuffs.

Excited for more of your pixel art though Ice :D Man I really need to catchup to peoples gallery's since I've probably missed so much good stuff.

JustJeff

Striving for Rank #1
    Years
  • Am also going to have a December update wherever my thread has gone xD

Just got back to PC after a couple of months. Finished off uni for the year up until next March, so after I finish some stuff this upcoming week it's back to work on new art designish new pieces and crafting up an online portfolio/facebook page for my next year.

Jeebus I have been gone for too long and now Aiden and Ice are both Mods too wow (probs epic late congratz guys :pp)

Friend! Buddy! Pal! I gotchu i gotchu! Wacha! I hope this is the rite 1. Lol https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=342710#.Vk8NZHarS5h
    I was a fan of your work back a couple months ago! I remember! You had Bastion avatar too! Thats pretty much all i remember tho~
    Glad too see you back here! :DD

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Will try my best~ but just like some of you guys I've been hitting the design slump pretty hard the last year. Hoping the lack of design classes I've had is enough to fuel me back into doing good art stuffs.

Excited for more of your pixel art though Ice :D Man I really need to catchup to peoples gallery's since I've probably missed so much good stuff.

zappy welcome back!! :))) I hope things have been going well!

Skip Class

Years
  • zappy welcome back!! :))) I hope things have been going well!

Hey Fairy :D Things have been going awesome. First look I didn't realise it was you xD Going on hiatus when there's a username change time always screws me over when I come back haha.

Friend! Buddy! Pal! I gotchu i gotchu! Wacha! I hope this is the rite 1. Lol https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=342710#.Vk8NZHarS5h
    I was a fan of your work back a couple months ago! I remember! You had Bastion avatar too! Thats pretty much all i remember tho~
    Glad too see you back here! :DD

You're a savior :D Now I don't have to go hunting for my thread again xD

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    So guys, if you didn't see it (which you probably did but) Aiden and I decided to change a few rules in A&D, specifically the three piece minimum and request thread rules. And I want to open up a small discussion about it to get some feedback if you all have any! You guys are the community, so if you have any comments on the rule changes or ideas about how to make A&D better, please voice them!

Years
  • So guys, if you didn't see it (which you probably did but) Aiden and I decided to change a few rules in A&D, specifically the three piece minimum and request thread rules. And I want to open up a small discussion about it to get some feedback if you all have any! You guys are the community, so if you have any comments on the rule changes or ideas about how to make A&D better, please voice them!

I saw those! I was actually seeing the amount of closed threads recently and thought you would probably crack down on those, instead of allowing them.
    But when I thought about it, it makes sense. The A&D is more active than it's been in awhile, but that's only a handful of regulars. Turning away those people who probably are just new and didn't read the rules is ok, but what would be better would be if we talked to them about their request or other ways to have them be engaged in the section instead of being shut out.

At least, that was my rationale behind the rule change. To make it easier to invite more people in/not turn them away.
    Which makes sense to me! Artists usually aren't going to go to the hack/game thread to see where they're needed and it makes more sense for those that need help to seek those that can give them help. We're also not active enough/inundated with requests that we would have to worry about our galleries getting pushed to the bottom of the page. Most of us update enough that it's not a problem. It might be slightly annoying, but it's one of those things you can just ignore if it is.

Oh, does this effect the rule of asking for requests within a gallery though? Was I imagining that there was a rule there in the first place? If people are able to ask for requests in the forum, they shouldn't be allowed to ask for requests in the gallery, I think. A VM or PM is more appropriate and it would be better to make a thread so they can see multiple people who are interested.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    The whole "allowing request/recruitment threads" thing is just something we're testing out. Right now, we're going with a more open door policy that will allow members (whose request threads would traditionally be closed) to become more integrated with the community. We're running on the idea that if we don't lock a member's thread = they may feel more inclined to post. Anyway, I hope I answer this satisfactorily!
    At least, that was my rationale behind the rule change. To make it easier to invite more people in/not turn them away.
    Which makes sense to me! Artists usually aren't going to go to the hack/game thread to see where they're needed and it makes more sense for those that need help to seek those that can give them help. We're also not active enough/inundated with requests that we would have to worry about our galleries getting pushed to the bottom of the page. Most of us update enough that it's not a problem. It might be slightly annoying, but it's one of those things you can just ignore if it is.
    Exactly. There's very few negative side repercussions to allowing requesting threads, and with one of the possible benefits being more people included in the community, it's a small price to pay.
    Oh, does this effect the rule of asking for requests within a gallery though? Was I imagining that there was a rule there in the first place? If people are able to ask for requests in the forum, they shouldn't be allowed to ask for requests in the gallery, I think. A VM or PM is more appropriate and it would be better to make a thread so they can see multiple people who are interested.
    Yes and no. Shops will still exist. 9.9 times out of 10, people who post request threads aren't looking for signatures, avatars, and profile designs; the main things offered by those who run shops. In the case of other request/recruitment threads it's usually a more complicated job and the public setting is helpful. However, if they want to hire a specific artist, they can use a personal platform for that.

So as an example:
    -Request thread about needing a new avatar/signature > OP is directed towards any thread denoted as a [shop] if no one takes the request first. Either the OP (hopefully) finds what they're looking for in the thread, or the thread becomes clutter because they found what they were looking for outside the thread.
    -Request thread asking someone to make a Youtube banner / looking to hire a sprite artist > Thread stays open with the hopes someone will take it up.
    -Request thread asking for [insert user] to make anything > OP is encouraged to contact the user specifically. Thread most likely closed.

Years
  • -Request thread about needing a new avatar/signature > OP is directed towards any thread denoted as a [shop] if no one takes the request first. Either the OP (hopefully) finds what they're looking for in the thread, or the thread becomes clutter because they found what they were looking for outside the thread.
    -Request thread asking someone to make a Youtube banner / looking to hire a sprite artist > Thread stays open with the hopes someone will take it up.
    -Request thread asking for [insert user] to make anything > OP is encouraged to contact the user specifically. Thread most likely closed.

I guess what I'm asking about is

-Person asks [user] to make something inside of [user's NOT!Shop Gallery].

I mean I guess it's as easy as just ignoring it or asking them to contact you outside of the the gallery if you don't want to clutter the replies on your gallery. But would something like that be discouraged or a hard no?
    Such as in the beginning of my gallery I got this comment that was quickly whisked away before I saw it.
    "L'art pour l'art" - DCC

I would rather not have my gallery be a place to request things and prefer to be talked to one on one about it. Though I understand if that's a personal thing that I should just mention on my first post.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Regarding the 3 examples to 1 change, I'm assuming it'd still be preferred to stick to galleries? The way I read it, you can make a new thread for each new piece you make. On other forums I think it's more that style, and can certainly lead to a larger number number of threads. Not saying I favor that or anything, just wondering sort of what you're looking to promote.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I guess what I'm asking about is

-Person asks [user] to make something inside of [user's NOT!Shop Gallery].

I mean I guess it's as easy as just ignoring it or asking them to contact you outside of the the gallery if you don't want to clutter the replies on your gallery. But would something like that be discouraged or a hard no?
    Such as in the beginning of my gallery I got this comment that was quickly whisked away before I saw it.
    "L'art pour l'art" - DCC

I would rather not have my gallery be a place to request things and prefer to be talked to one on one about it. Though I understand if that's a personal thing that I should just mention on my first post.
    Ohhh I see. If your thread is not a shop and someone makes a request in it we will be removing those posts. Only threads that are denoted with a [shop] prefix are allowed to have requests posted in them (or galleries like mine where I explicitly state that I am willing to take requests), and a request thread posted in the hopes of contacting many artists at once are allowed. Posting a request in a gallery, a general discussion, a resource, tutoring thread, or anything else is still against the rules- not because it's a request but because it's spam. It's just the single thread clause we're changing.

In fact, one thing I want to add is a [Shop&Gallery] prefix so people who run both in one thread, like me, can let people know they're willing to take requests. Otherwise how do you know other than reading the thread? and who does that? lol
    Regarding the 3 examples to 1 change, I'm assuming it'd still be preferred to stick to galleries? The way I read it, you can make a new thread for each new piece you make. On other forums I think it's more that style, and can certainly lead to a larger number number of threads. Not saying I favor that or anything, just wondering sort of what you're looking to promote.
    Preferred, yes. Making a thread for each new piece is just forum clutter and unnecessary. But for example if you were to make a thread saying "listening I'm really struggling with "x" problem with this piece and I'm not getting proper comments/critiques in my gallery can I get some feedback?" that would totally be okay. It's really more a rule for new members who only have one/two pieces to start off with, but anyone can take advantage of it should they want to. As long as it's done responsibly, as with any forum. :)

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • Hi there! I guess this is my first time to come for this thread.

By the way, does anyone use pencil for drawings? I use lots of pencil with same type ( 2B )

However, my 2B pencils have different quality. Poor quality pencils are shallow and usually use for sketching the base, high quality which is very black often used for finishing the drawing so the drawing looks sharp and more detailed.

For me, pencils are easier to use and the textures are brilliant!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Hi there! I guess this is my first time to come for this thread.

By the way, does anyone use pencil for drawings? I use lots of pencil with same type ( 2B )

However, my 2B pencils have different quality. Poor quality pencils are shallow and usually use for sketching the base, high quality which is very black often used for finishing the drawing so the drawing looks sharp and more detailed.

For me, pencils are easier to use and the textures are brilliant!

Hey there! Welcome to the DCC, haha. :)

I use pencils all the time! Definitely among my preferred mediums. If I'm just sketching about, I'll usually just use whatever's handy (ie; mechanical pencil), but if I'm actually working on a traditional drawing, I'll use pencils of varying graphite density and such. 2B pencils are great, but you're right their quality can really depend on the brand. I'm no expert or anything, but the last time I checked Prismacolor does a good set of 4H - 4B pencils!

I feel way more physically/emotionally connected with a drawing when using a pencil/pen, as opposed to digital. Digital definitely has its advantages no doubt, but I don't know, there's something so charming about working with a good 'ol pencil for me!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I almost always use my mechanical pencil for line art. It's been a while since I've done a complete pencil drawing, but I use one just to get the shape I'm looking for, then cover it with pen. I've never used actual art pencils, but apparently one of my friends is giving me a set of them for Christmas, so I guess I'll get the experience soon enough.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • I had a mechanical pencil before, but I lost it ( tons of time - always lost in the school) so I decided to use pencil instead =3=

Skip Class

Years
  • Like the others I usually go for the mechanical type. Maybe it's partially because I don't always have a sharpener on me these days, but I genuinely like the feel of mechanical vs traditional types these day. I don't sketch pieces of art as much as I used to so that's also a reason (I usually use my pens a lot more).

As for traditional pencils, I have a high preference for the Staedtler brand (2B and 4B, but not 6B since I find that too much for me) - Usually the blue pencils with black bottom - do the red/black striped ones make a difference? idk).

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • I am using Stabilo brand and it is very very black and smooth. Stadler brand is fine for me but Stabilo is much cheaper haha. ( Quite a choosy person when comparing prices)

Anyway, why not come into my drawing threads and see some of my drawings?

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I'm interested in buying a drawing tablet, once I have enough money saved up. I'd get some pencils too, but it would I feel like drawing digitally and then spriting it is probably easier than scanning stuff in and spriting it.

Skip Class

Years
  • I've had 3 tablets over the years - all bamboo brands. However, I've recently misplaced 2/3 of my pens in my household:( The one remaining is of my oldest tablet from about 6-7 years ago and aside that it's working find I just miss using my newer ones.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back