• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
Years
Ok

Adding pokémon is as easy as editing the pokémon.txt file in the PBS folder. There's a lot of settings, so take a look at the Notes to help you.

As for your maps not getting darker, you'll need to edit metadata.txt. Help for this is also in the Notes. Basically, only outdoor maps are light during the day and dark at night. Use "editor.exe" and use the "Set metadata" option to sort this.

Ok, thanx!
But lets supose I want to add the night-&-day system to my game (not pokémon, one of pure RPGXP... well I'm developing a pokémon game and a game of mine) I copied the script and it didn't work. Do I have to make a .txt file to do it?

BTW: I added a pokémon on the .txt (I knew that it was the right one) months ago and an error appeared and I had to unzip again the kit.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Okay, I've done that, but it still doesn't happen.
It'll say the name of the town int he top-corner when I load my file, but when I walk into the nearby route that I've set up, it doesn't say "ROUTE ##" or anything.
I've linked the maps in the editor as well.
You've done the "Show Area=TRUE" for each and every outdoor map, right? Because using connections.txt isn't a substitute - it won't say for you that any map connected to map X should also show signposts.

Just check metadata.txt again, find the data for the maps you want, and make sure everything looks up to snuff (the right map ID number, that you've given the maps names, etc. etc.). I presume you're playtesting the game here, and not playing the game standalone.

zephadus

Trainer upset about # of PKMN
Years
Number of particular species in party

You've done the "Show Area=TRUE" for each and every outdoor map, right? Because using connections.txt isn't a substitute - it won't say for you that any map connected to map X should also show signposts.

Just check metadata.txt again, find the data for the maps you want, and make sure everything looks up to snuff (the right map ID number, that you've given the maps names, etc. etc.). I presume you're playtesting the game here, and not playing the game standalone.

Aye, that I am.
Everything looks good, so I donno what's wrong.
Oh well, I'll worry about it later.
For now I'll just get other stuff done, but for now...

I have yet another question:
Is there a way to check how many of any given pokemon you have in your party?
I know you can check if a pokemon species is there, but would I be able to tell if there were, say... 5 Squirtles or just 1?

EDIT: Couple more.
Is there a way to check if a Pokémon is infected with the Pokérus?
and if so, call a common event like for example, a text-box telling you that the pokemon look strange?
Also, is there a way to keep track of how many times an individual Pokémon has fainted?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
zephadus:

Use the following code within a Script event command (the code below was not tested):
Code:
$game_variables[1]=0
for p in $Trainer.party
 $game_variables[1]+=1 if !p.egg? &&
   p.species==PBSpecies::MAGIKARP
end
That will put the number of Pokemon of the species Magikarp in variable number 1. Then, you can check the value of that variable using conditional branches, as usual. Of course, you can change the species name and variable number.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
zephadus:

Use this Ruby idiom to determine whether a Pokemon is infected with Pokérus virus (assuming that
"pokemon" is a PokeBattle_Pokemon object, such as the result of the Ruby script call "$Trainer.party[0]"):
Code:
if pokemon.pokerus==1 # Infected
 # Pokemon is infected
end

To determine the faint count for a Pokemon, add the following code in a new section before the last one in the Script Editor
(untested).
Code:
class PokeBattle_Pokemon
 def faintcount; @faintcount ? @faintcount : 0; end
 def hp=(value)
  # Update faint count
  @faintcount=0 if !@faintcount
  @faintcount+=1 if @hp!=0 && value==0
  @hp=value; 
 end
end
Then you can print the number of times a Pokemon has fainted using this Ruby idiom (assuming that
"pokemon" is a PokeBattle_Pokemon object, such as the result of the Ruby script call "$Trainer.party[0]"):
Code:
print pokemon.faintcount

zephadus

Trainer upset about # of PKMN
Years
zephadus:

Use this Ruby idiom to determine whether a Pokemon is infected with Pokérus virus (assuming that
Code:
if pokemon.pokerus==1 # Infected
 # Pokemon is infected
end
To determine the faint count for a Pokemon, add the following code in a new section before the last one in the Script Editor
(untested).
Code:
class PokeBattle_Pokemon
 def faintcount; @faintcount ? @faintcount : 0; end
 def hp=(value)
  # Update faint count
  @faintcount=0 if !@faintcount
  @faintcount+=1 if @hp!=0 && value==0
  @hp=value; 
 end
end
Then you can print the number of times a Pokemon has fainted using this Ruby idiom (assuming that
Code:
print pokemon.faintcount

Sorry, I'm not sure I quite understand.
I put these where exactly? :\

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Years
  • Seen Sep 7, 2018
A pathetically dumb question, can I use D/P style overworlds and tiles with this?

Anuhrima

Darkness and Rebirth
Years
can someone help me with this problem
Exception: NoMethodError
RandomMap:63
RandomMap:58:in `call'
EventScene:580:in `trigger'
EventScene:579:in `each'
EventScene:579:in `trigger'
Game_Map_:53:in `setup'
PokemonMap:640:in `setup'
Scene_Map:214:in `transfer_player'
Scene_Map:107:in `update'
Scene_Map:98:in `loop'

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
Anuhrima:

To fix this, go to the script section RandomMap in the script editor. On line 62, after the line that reads:
Code:
  mapinfo  = load_data("Data/MapInfos.rxdata")
add this line:
Code:
  next if !mapinfo[mapID]
If that fails to work, you may need to define the starting position again in RPG Maker XP or delete the save file Game.rxdata.

Anuhrima

Darkness and Rebirth
Years
Ok that fixed it but the new problem is
Exception: TypeError
RandomMap:426:in `[]='
RandomMap:426:in `make_random_map'
RandomMap:425:in `each'
RandomMap:425:in `make_random_map'
RandomMap:424:in `each'
RandomMap:424:in `make_random_map'
RandomMap:423:in `each'
RandomMap:423:in `make_random_map'
RandomMap:74
RandomMap:58:in `call'

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2009
Pokemon NetPlay Plus
( I have seen a post about this but was no help and therfore I am posting here )

hey guys,

I've been trying to set up an online pokemon game for about 2 weeks now. I did some stuff but I am stuck now and have a few questions.

What I know how to do :

- ok so I got the server to run using netplay plus
- I have the pokemon tilsets and characters

What I want to do :

- Use Poccil's starter kit for my online Pokemon game without messing up everything

I think I can just paste most of the scripts but I think some will get messed up. For example like your starting character I want to change it so that its that 1 character you pick and then you have a party. What I would like to know is how I can copy all the scripts without messing up anything.Maybe I can copy the netplay plus files to the starter kit or something. I am sure there is a way I just don't know how. I thought maybe someone here would know. Possibly Poccil would know. Anyways if you think its to hard what is the closest I can get to a Pokemon game using netplay plus. It looks like it can be done but I am not the greatest at understanding all these sricpts. Well not the confusing ones anyway.

I would really appreciate some help. I hope someone has a solution or some tips for me.

Thanks

Last edited:

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
Years
Of course. A syntax error occurs when code (in this case RGSS) isn't entered or processed correctly - in other words, it doesn't have the correct syntax.

The thing is, though, the error you posted relates to a script which normally doesn't even require any input, as far as I know. The fact that it even pops up indicates that either there's a bug with Essentials or you've edited the script incorrectly.

I hate these errors the most; they're very obscure and confusing :( .

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
have you in any case deleted something else, because lines 72 - 76 in random map should look like this:

72 if map && tileset
73 generator=MapGenerator.new(map,tileset.passages,tileset.priorities)
74 generator.make_random_map(2,mapinfo[mapID].subname(2).to_i,p3,p4)
75 end
76 end

here i cant find the "not" you mentioned before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back