• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon: Discovery

Should the beta be released sooner or later?

• Sooner! [Shorter beta]

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • Later! [Longer beta]

Votes: 35 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Samuraipizzacats

Call me Seb
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 30, 2016
I don't know how you'll get your first pokemon, but personally I like the idea of a navy themed pokemon. Something you'll find in the water/beach/tropical environment. Again I don't know the storyline but starting with a pokemon that is quite weak in the beginning and grows with your understanding of the island and your determination to figure out what is happening would seem a good choice.

When typing this I thought about Poliwag, so you at least have a choice later in the game on how you are going to evolve him. I also thought about Krabby, Horsey but I think people like a starter who will evolve two times. My last thought was making it a exclusive (forgotten) island where some extinct pokemon still live. So something like Kabuto or Omanyte.

Anyway this was all just brainstorming in helping you further in your hack and decisions.

Cheers,

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 12, 2023
Though I dont really have any like or hate with hawalucha but I also dont like evee as a starter and its evolution ..they really are overrated, also I know she is legendary but wat about mew

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Though I dont really have any like or hate with hawalucha but I also dont like evee as a starter and its evolution ..they really are overrated, also I know she is legendary but wat about mew
I don't really see how Eevee as a starter is overrated. It gives the player a lot of freedom in terms of evolution and...that's about it. It isn't overused either. You'll find that not many released or planned hacks actually employ Eevee as a starter.

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
I don't really see how Eevee as a starter is overrated. It gives the player a lot of freedom in terms of evolution and...that's about it. It isn't overused either. You'll find that not many released or planned hacks actually employ Eevee as a starter.
Well to be honest, we just thought that everyone thought that Eevee was to overated in all the games and fandom, and at the same time we are not only trying to be creative, but we want to have a bunch of people like the hack because some of the team think there isn't enough attention to the threadlike that really matters in the end run :P. We are gonna keep Eevee in, I personally still want him in because it would've been a waste of space seeing how we implemented Eevee and the evolutions through scripts/a puzzel. Don't worry though, everything is still gonna be okay with the hack, we are currently at Berry City, the last part of the first beta, and I bet a bunch of you would really want to see that beta, right?

Last edited:

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Well to be honest, we just thought that everyone thought that Eevee was to overated in all the games and fandom, and at the same time we are not only trying to be creative, but we want to have a bunch of people like the hack because some of the team think there isn't enough attention to the threadlike that really matters in the end run :P. We are gonna keep Eevee in, I personally still want him in because it would've been a waste of space seeing how we implemented Eevee and the evolutions through scripts/a puzzel. Don't worry though, everything is still gonna be okay with the hack, we are currently at Berry City, the last part of the first beta, and I bet a bunch of you would really want to see that beta, right?

Yes, many of us definitely wanna play the beta lol I've been waiting, hope the progress is almost there! (:

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
Ah, it's nice to see a fellow Emerald hacker here!
I like the graphics, and the concept seems original. I'm going to withhold full judgement until I actually play this game, but this looks like a hack I might enjoy. I'm just hoping I won't have to grind a lot like I did with some hacks. (Dark Rising I'm looking at you :/)

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
Ah, it's nice to see a fellow Emerald hacker here!
I like the graphics, and the concept seems original. I'm going to withhold full judgement until I actually play this game, but this looks like a hack I might enjoy. I'm just hoping I won't have to grind a lot like I did with some hacks. (Dark Rising I'm looking at you :/)
*Hackers
The game isn't going to be that difficult, but it's more towards the people that have played the games and hacks of the games, so no tutorials or very easy battles. You will get to fight a lot of people and even "gangs" of pokemon. There will be some rivals but there not gonna be annoying (Gamefreak, please don't make Wally a wimp and a crybaby in Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby that'd be very much appreciated, but you're never gonna read this anyway :P). In other words, it's not gonna be a cakewalk, but it's not gonna be harsh with the level curve.

Calamitastrophe

He's really feeling it
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
What kind of pokemon do you envision then? Some sort of navy water related pokemon?

edit: i see hawlucha as more of a tropical-looking bird pokemon even though i'm not gonna act oblivious. i know hes suppose to be a luchador pokemon. i just don't know ... don't think eevee is original and I look at all like 800 pokemon and can't put a finger on any of them ... unless the starter is some sort of fakemon im not really sure at this point what starter people would prefer to see

Oh I'm not questioning Hawlucha or anything. I was just thinking I wouldn't expect to see a luchador on an almost uninhabited island is all. I see a wrestling bird when I look at Hawlucha, but now that you bring it up, its colors do make it look tropical.

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
Oh I'm not questioning Hawlucha or anything. I was just thinking I wouldn't expect to see a luchador on an almost uninhabited island is all. I see a wrestling bird when I look at Hawlucha, but now that you bring it up, its colors do make it look tropical.
It's already been decided that we're keeping Eevee. There are more cons with making Hawlucha the starter than cons with keeping Eevee around. Plus in my opinion, I think we lose something in this hack if we lose Eevee, it's kinda an important pokemon in this hack, even though there is so much more.

Speaking of more...MORE NEWS!

-UPDATE TIME-​

Alright, so this is not the beta, but we're getting closer and closer by the day. Le Pug just finished adding all the LOW's in the cave connecting Korowai and Berry, and the cave is finished entirely. No bugs on our end, and everything is going great. We're trying to find away to get rid of flash and figuring how using a lantern could work in the hack! Now, we're at Berry City, the final destination of the beta, we're almost at the finish checkpoint for the beta. Then we'll start working on beta 2 or take a minor break and then work on beta 2, but trust me, you won't have to worry about beta 1 ending quickly. ;)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2015
Really excited to play this game it looks like it has just about everything I could ask for in a Pokemon hack. Keep up the good work!

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
Made a new support banner for you guys lol:

2ofE2Fq.gif

Started working on Berry City today

Le pug

Years
Give us the code for the sig :D

Sorry. Here is the URL:
http://i.imgur.com/2ofE2Fq.gif

Let me know if any of you want a specific Pokemon :P

Today Jilly Shears the music producer of our team added the music tracks he personally made which will make the hack more amazing! So thanks go out to him for just one more addition to make this hack even greater!

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
Today Jilly Shears the music producer of our team added the music tracks he personally made which will make the hack more amazing! So thanks go out to him for just one more addition to make this hack even greater!
Adding on to this two days later :P, Jilly Shears has made a beautiful piece of custom music for Korowai Hill, which you all will get a thrill out of im punny.
Seriously, without him, Le pug and I would probably be hopeless in the musicmaking/inserting department, I know I would. We are very fortunate to have him on our team, and you, the readers/players are definately fortunate to have amazing custom music while enjoying this hack. We give Jilly Shears full credit with inserting and making all the custom music you will hear.

jan2prado

Eat, Sleep, Repeat!
Years
Hey Le! It's me jan2prado, the one you were with at #Gogo iirc... haha..

I like the storyline, being not like any other hacks that goes "I'm doing this for the sake of Pokemon and Humanity!" which is now too cliche, don't you think? Anyways, the graphics are good, the mapping is good.. but honestly the Color of the Text in the Battle Text Box doesn't fit at all.. yellow and blue kinda hurts the eyes, might want to use a darker color instead of yellow.. And also I like the sprites you used even though it was used in one screenshot and also implementation of new systems and such..

And also I think I've already played this when it was still in Ruby and gave up because it was pretty hard.. Eevee was the starter and the Gyms were pretty hard and honestly it sucked.. hahaha.. anyways, I hope it's not like that anymore :D

Le pug

Years
Hey Le! It's me jan2prado, the one you were with at #Gogo iirc... haha..

I like the storyline, being not like any other hacks that goes "I'm doing this for the sake of Pokemon and Humanity!" which is now too cliche, don't you think? Anyways, the graphics are good, the mapping is good.. but honestly the Color of the Text in the Battle Text Box doesn't fit at all.. yellow and blue kinda hurts the eyes, might want to use a darker color instead of yellow.. And also I like the sprites you used even though it was used in one screenshot and also implementation of new systems and such..

And also I think I've already played this when it was still in Ruby and gave up because it was pretty hard.. Eevee was the starter and the Gyms were pretty hard and honestly it sucked.. hahaha.. anyways, I hope it's not like that anymore :D

Thanks for the compliments. Feedback is always welcomed. Those screenshots were all taken in the ruby-rom base stage of our hack. The yellow text has since been changed to a darker orange so don't worry you won't go blind lol.

Also you've never played it if that's your recall of what discovery used to be. First of all, ruby-base we weren't even far enough in to consider a gym and second of all.. we don't have gyms in our hack.

We've decided on a different system of "badge" acquiring which will include of course some battles, but alternatively for some, quest chains or completion of mazes and puzzles, story-alternating choices, even chases (more on that when you play). You'll also most likely have more than eight gym badges since our system is more or less collecting fragments to bring them all into one piece. Bigger shards will be the gym badge slots but you'll also have to find other smaller fragments too (objective is to find them all and unite them together)

jan2prado

Eat, Sleep, Repeat!
Years
Then.. hmm.. that was something else, I think?

And also would the story have the same ending but alternating events?

Edit: the post doubled when I posted O,o

Le pug

Years
Then.. hmm.. that was something else, I think?

And also would the story have the same ending but alternating events?

Edit: the post doubled when I posted O,o

Yes it has alternating events and same ending but how the ending is presented will be based on your LoW level aka if you were good throughout the story, bad, or neutral.

PokemonMasterBrett

Ace Trainer
Years
This rom hack looks amazing. I'll certainly be keeping a lookout for it. I like the thought of changing up the pace and removing the gyms, while adding the new LOW feature and allowing choices to make a difference on the outcome of the game. Very original, guys. Keep up the good work.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 19, 2015
I really like the concept of the LoW system, but I have a question about it. In the screenshots revealed, the LoW points for each choice are shown. Do you guys plan on keeping it that way or is it just to make testing the system easier?

It seems sorta strange, I think, to let players see exactly how much each choice is. Not letting the player know exactly what their reputation is makes it less cut and dry. Though I guess since the LoW scale is only 0-10 (right?), then it's not too big of a deal. Just curious.

And hope the beta comes out soon! Best of luck! :)

Back