• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon: Discovery

Should the beta be released sooner or later?

• Sooner! [Shorter beta]

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • Later! [Longer beta]

Votes: 35 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
I really like the concept of the LoW system, but I have a question about it. In the screenshots revealed, the LoW points for each choice are shown. Do you guys plan on keeping it that way or is it just to make testing the system easier?

It seems sorta strange, I think, to let players see exactly how much each choice is. Not letting the player know exactly what their reputation is makes it less cut and dry. Though I guess since the LoW scale is only 0-10 (right?), then it's not too big of a deal. Just curious.

And hope the beta comes out soon! Best of luck! :)

You ever play a MMO before? Do a quest as an end-game player that gave you a crap-ton of gold or experience points? If you were (gonna use WoW for a moment) level 90, wouldn't you want to know if the quest you're going to do was worth it or not? If I had a choice between wasting my time on a level 1 quest for little or no gold or experience or choosing a level 90 raiding quest that rewards more gold, and if not 90 but like lvl 89 a lot of exp, I'd rather do that.
Idk if you're following but pretty much what I'm saying is, I have the numbers there so you can see how many points you'll get and obviously if it's +1 it'll probably have a lower difficulty whereas if you have a quest that is +2 points or -10 points... then you know it'll be a long quest chain and it's all about if the player wants to put effort into that.
The scale is from 0-100, not 0-10. (can't add decimals to vars so it has to be that way, plus it adds more room for fluctuation of the player's choices).

Plus you need to see your LoW (I'd prefer for the player to instantly see it using the FR second message box ASM ... but no one wants to help port it to EM so gotta do it the following way). I'll have a person in most cities that'll reveal your reputation for you if you talk to him. Probably make it a trade-goods traveler or something. Certain perks will be used based on your level also. In more evil cities, you'll have a better reputation than those of higher reputation. So you'll get darker perks than the good cities. An example of this is in the good cities at a certain LoW level you'll get discounts in the stores. The more evil you are though, the more pricey the items. However, in the darker cities, the more higher your LoW, the better the chances you'll randomly get battled by people in the city and you can not use their beds to heal up and you can't stay in their town (if you faint, you are sent back to the last visited good city). So there will be different kind of perks like that. Any other questions let me know.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
You ever play a MMO before? Do a quest as an end-game player that gave you a crap-ton of gold or experience points? If you were (gonna use WoW for a moment) level 90, wouldn't you want to know if the quest you're going to do was worth it or not? If I had a choice between wasting my time on a level 1 quest for little or no gold or experience or choosing a level 90 raiding quest that rewards more gold, and if not 90 but like lvl 89 a lot of exp, I'd rather do that.
Idk if you're following but pretty much what I'm saying is, I have the numbers there so you can see how many points you'll get and obviously if it's +1 it'll probably have a lower difficulty whereas if you have a quest that is +2 points or -10 points... then you know it'll be a long quest chain and it's all about if the player wants to put effort into that.
The scale is from 0-100, not 0-10. (can't add decimals to vars so it has to be that way, plus it adds more room for fluctuation of the player's choices).

Plus you need to see your LoW (I'd prefer for the player to instantly see it using the FR second message box ASM ... but no one wants to help port it to EM so gotta do it the following way). I'll have a person in most cities that'll reveal your reputation for you if you talk to him. Probably make it a trade-goods traveler or something. Certain perks will be used based on your level also. In more evil cities, you'll have a better reputation than those of higher reputation. So you'll get darker perks than the good cities. An example of this is in the good cities at a certain LoW level you'll get discounts in the stores. The more evil you are though, the more pricey the items. However, in the darker cities, the more higher your LoW, the better the chances you'll randomly get battled by people in the city and you can not use their beds to heal up and you can't stay in their town (if you faint, you are sent back to the last visited good city). So there will be different kind of perks like that. Any other questions let me know.
Do you mind showing me this second textbox ASM? I could try to port it to Emerald. It'd be a great way to practice my ASM, since I'm quite rusty.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 19, 2015
I follow. Showing the points for a decision like showing the rewards for a quest. Looking at it from that perspective, it makes sense to do. I didn't think of it like that, so it seemed odd to me at first.

I saw an earlier post explaining it saying the highest possible score would be 10. I didn't know it had changed since then. But it seems like it'll work out better that way anyway.
Thanks for answering! :)

Last edited:

Le pug

Years
Do you mind showing me this second textbox ASM? I could try to port it to Emerald. It'd be a great way to practice my ASM, since I'm quite rusty.

Sure thing. It actually has most of it ported already due to ShinyQuagsire. Here is the thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=321473
Or you can just view this spoiler:
Spoiler:

------

I follow. Showing the points for a decision like showing the rewards for a quest. Looking at it from that perspective, it makes sense to do. I didn't think of it like that, so it seemed odd to me at first.

I saw an earlier post explaining it saying the highest possible score would be 10. I didn't know it had changed since then. But it seems like it'll work out better that way anyway.
Thanks for answering! :)

Yeah it was initially 10 but once I figured out how I would actually implement the system, adding or subtracting by whole numbers really only way that will work. I'm glad it makes more sense and glad you're on the same page and hope you enjoy it! The LoW events will be fun, as there will be many side LoW events as well as few main story LoW events. And np, if you have any questions I'm always here to answer them or you can come chat with me via IRC Chat

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
-ANNOUNCEMENT TIME-

Okay so this is not the beta but it's kinda close, we have our own IRC chat. It will be up on the main post, it's on Le pug's signature and on my signature. We look forward to all of you dropping by and we hope to see you soon. ;)

jan2prado

Eat, Sleep, Repeat!
Years
-ANNOUNCEMENT TIME-

Okay so this is not the beta but it's kinda close, we have our own IRC chat. It will be up on the main post, it's on Le pug's signature and on my signature. We look forward to all of you dropping by and we hope to see you soon. ;)

1st person to go there :D.. I think?

Le pug

Years
Cue Blue's theme, violin edition!

Well well what do we have here, a new adventure, so it begins.

Will there be side-quests?

Yes I will be implementing side quests, especially with the LoW system. It'll break the monotony of main chain questing. Don't worry I am trying my best to add enough content to keep the player busy having fun rather than just beating the game in like an hour lol.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 28, 2015
oh why is it that when i find a new rom game i like and what fits what im looking for there is always now download link XD or is not fully complete >.< i cant wait to see this

Le pug

Years
Please, get us a download.

I'm pushing as hard as I can to get the first beta out there. It might be another two weeks or more though because there are small things here and there I'm trying to fix up and I still pretty much have an entire city to script. And three more maps to make and script (a route, a labyrinth, and Berry City's events and after-event map)

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
So, I know we haven't been showing progress lately but we are still working on this hack. Also I don't think this has been addressed on the thread but I thought that a few of you may be wondering how stuff like the Pokedex and the PC are gonna work, since you are on an "undiscovered" island.

The dex is probably not going to be in the hack, it has been discussed that the Pokedex will most likely not exist, it's not that restrictive however to get rid of it so it's worth it. The PC on the other hand...this hack focuses on being unique and different, so you don't want to restrict your pokemon decissions to you? I certainly don't. So the PC will be in but in a way that it won't make it like the PC. In most villages there will be people who will be running this shelf like area and he will store and distribute your pokemon for yourself. He is basically a man/PC hybrid of sorts, and the PC mechanic itself though, you'll be able to pick your pokemon the same exact way you do in a PC, but the boxes will be renamed to shelves and the wallpaper will be shelves.

So, yeah, I hope that clears stuff about the Pokedex and PC stuff and this hack is still being worked on.

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
Years
Bro!! I am really reaaaaally interested in the story! i like it! and the thing is how the story gonna finish! :) can't wait final release!! do you think can you finish it this year~? ^^

Back