• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solodomo

Psychic Trainer
Years
    • Seen May 5, 2012
    hm...well i don't really like how the starters look like previous pokemon but still they are different in their own ways.

But anyway o.o i'm going to pick Tsujaata because he's a grass type and I always pick the fire type so just going to try something new =D.

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
  • I guess I'll end up with Pokabu it seems... looks like once more I've drawn the fire type, I swear I'm a fire type magnet. Every time a new game comes out, two friends and I basically draw straws (not literally though) too see who gets what starter. Either it's rigged or just pure coincidence, but I always get the Fire type, Nex the Water and Zane the Grass...

I wonder if we'll ever get to see another special edition like Yellow... I wouldn't mind starting with an Electric type, or even better an Eevee...

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    Tsutaaja sucks. I really hate it.

I was going to pick Pokabu, but some fan art of his evolutions as a flaming boar turned me off to it. However, I'll probably use it in my secondary game.

That leaves Mijumaru. I thought it was really great, and since my opinion has Pokabu has went down, I'm using it in my primary game.

I always get both versions, and I don't like reusing starters, so I'm hoping there won't be a third version. I do not want to have to use
    Tsutaaja!

haha wow. it was just fan art as you said.

DemonicDee

PokéDevil
    Years
  • Spoiler:

This is possibly the first time i have been put off by the Fire Type, in my oppinion they always look coolest, but now, this time, Mr.Ivy-Snake guy seems to look much cooler, in saying that, i'll probably try to get all three anyway, i usually go for the Pokedex. :)
    -Dee

Last edited:

orange discontent

pogeymans?
    Years
  • Tsutaja is cool, but after seeing its 2nd stage evolution... meh.

I thought Mijumaru looked like smack when I saw it, but after seeing its 2nd stage, Mijumaru's starting to look a lot better.

Pokabu is the schnapps, but I'm just gonna wait until all the starters' evolutions are released to really decide.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • Tsutaja is awesome this is the first time the Grass type is the coolest starter imo.

Pokabu is awesome I wanna see his evo so bad hope it's not ANOTHER Fire/Fighting or I will be pissed.

Mijumaru at first I hated it, I thought it was an ugly ripoff of Piplup (Piplup is awesome) but after seeing it in bale I thought it was kinda cute I'm still probably never gonna use it though maybe the final evo will change my mind.

I wanna see the damn evos so bad!!

Last edited:

Spectral

A Ghostly Presence...
    Years
  • I use only Ghosts/Dark in battle, so it depends on the typing of later evolutions... For some odd reason I feel a pull towards Pokabu to evolve later on into a Dark type. The one I'm least hopeful for is the
    Illegitimate-Child-Of-A-Bidoof-and-A-Jynx Mijumaru. On a side note, Where are these pictures of evolutions?

Bay

Years
  • I use only Ghosts/Dark in battle, so it depends on the typing of later evolutions... For some odd reason I feel a pull towards Pokabu to evolve later on into a Dark type. The one I'm least hopeful for is the
    Illegitimate-Child-Of-A-Bidoof-and-A-Jynx Mijumaru. On a side note, Where are these pictures of evolutions?
    You mean fanart or the anime beta art? If you mean the anime beta art, you can find it at Serebii.net through the Black and White section. The beta art has Mijumaru and Tsutaja's second stage evolutions. However, they're only beta, so the designs could be changed.

As for me, I'm going to try all three of them at least once because I like to see how far I can go with them, but I think I'll start with Mijumaru first. At first I didn't like the design, but now that Pokemon grew on me. Also, if that beta art is true, I like its second stage evolution design.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2014
    The Grass one is the only one I think I can stand. Either way, Black and White will have my absolute earliest HM Slave. I think I'm most likely going to take a random one, then use my Action Replay to get either Mudkip, Squirtle, or Shiny Charmander, and play through with that as my starter.

*Sigh* I think I'm the only one that hates all three starters :( I'm not usually a hater, I LOVE all Pokemon... up until now. Am I crazy? I'm not sure, maybe give me a little longer looking at them and I might come around. I'll have to see their evolutions first before I make the decision on whether I like them or not. I just feel these three look more like Fakemon to me :|
    Anyway, If I HAD to pick a favourite it'd maybe be the grass type one. But only because I had a look at that fan art that someone posted earlier and the evolutions looked cool. It'd be great if the actual designs looked even remotely like those.

Don't worry, you aren't alone. I hate them all too.

Last edited:

Omnis

Needs to train... A LOT...
    Years
  • I'm probably going to get Tsutaja, but Mijumaru is also an option for me... I don't really think about Pokabu much... If at all...

I like the looks of their evos as well, but I'll really make my choice when I'm able to see the full, official evo line...

But for now, Tsutaja prolly, and maybe mijumaru...

Last edited:

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
    Years
  • I'm probably going to get Tsutaja, but Mijumaru is also an option for me... I don't really think about Pokabu much... If at all...

I like the looks of their egos as well, but I'll really make my choice when I'm able to see the full, official ego line...

But for now, Tsutaja prolly, and maybe mijumaru...

You posted the 500th post!!!!!!

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2010
    The more I look at the starters, the more I actually like them compared to the likes of the starters in Ruby and Sapphire.. *shudders*.

Tsutaaja is a bit overrated in my opinion.
    Pokabu looks great and a big flaming boar would be pretty awesome.
    Mijumaru, however, is where it's at for me.

I won't go into great length, but otters have always been my favorite animal and water type starters are typically very useful. So, I will be starting with Mijumaru.

cipE

Breaking
    Years
  • Mijumaru. Why? Because it's an otter and looks like a bear. His design is just so cute and I don't know why everyone likes Tsuutaja.

Honestly I thought the other two starters were sort of bad.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    too late for this (even though thread is 21 pages of the same thing), what if the starters were not grass/fire/water this time?

like how about dark/fighting/psychic, theyre a trio to each other, one beats the other, one is not very effective to the other.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back