• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    Pokabu...

Look at the stupid evos of Mijumaru and Tsutaja.... No thanks

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
    Years
    how about the starting moves
    i suppose, it's gonna go:

Tsutaaja - Scratch Leer
    Mijumaru - Pound Growl
    Pokabu - Tackle Growl

=\ but for some reason i want something different
    but yeah i really think that's how they're going to set it up =)

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    how about the starting moves
    i suppose, it's gonna go:

Tsutaaja - Scratch Leer
    Mijumaru - Pound Growl
    Pokabu - Tackle Growl

=\ but for some reason i want something different
    but yeah i really think that's how they're going to set it up =)

Pokabu - Fire Blast, Earthquake

Watch it happen.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
    Tsutaaja defenately, i never pick the grass starter, and this one appealed to me so yeah boy.

GrifSpark

Your personal livin' Pokedex
    Years
    Well... I can't really decide at the moment, and I don't really have a favourite type starter. This is my usual choice of starters

Kanto
    Squirtle

Johto
    Chikorita (I love the move 'Synthesis')

Hoenn
    Torchic

Sinnho
    Chimchar

Well, I guess that the Fire-Type starters have been my favourite, although this list is likely to change if I play one of the older games at some point.

However, I think my favourite is the Grass-Type starter at the moment. Tsutaaju I think it's called. Although I don't seem to like the other two much. Meh, I'll wait 'till the game is released before I decide.

solastalgia

dancing through life
    Years
    Right now I'm thinking Mijumaru cause I actually find it adorable and I love Water types. ^__^ But I think I'd have to see the evolutions first.

Vulpes bicaudata

Charmander Fanboy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    It seems like I'm the only one who doesn't like any of them. I didn't like any of the DPPt ones, either. I hope this isn't turning into a trend.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    i reckon ill pick tsutaaja. him and mijumaru were about even but now since mijumaru may be part fighting its tsutaaja all the way i reckon. plus you just know mijumaru will be the slowest thing ever!!
    No it won't, not as fast as Tsutaaja since it is a snake, but sea otters aren't that slow, and w/ it being a fighter type then it would have to have speed on its side.

Starters (from fastest to slowest): Tsutaaja - Mijumaru - Pokabu

Pigs aren't as fast as snakes and otters. Mijumaru may be able to match Tsutaaja on speed it's final evo is a super sleek fighter :cool:

solastalgia

dancing through life
    Years
    Waaait, is it confirmed that Mijumaru becomes half fighting? I hope not D: Ice seemed more probable to me.

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
    Years
    i hope Tsutaaja is the fastest this time around
    playing through with Turtwig got on my nerves but the Quick Claw made me happier xD
    i always start with the grass types first time through =) i just like them
    Chikorita has been my favorite grass starter ever since the originals
    Turtwig comes in second it knocked Bulbasaur to third (poor thing)
    and all in all truth i didn't like Treecko, it just never clicked

the first time i saw Tsutaaja i thoug "Man that Pokemon looks like such an ***hole!"
    "Thats the Pokemon FOR MEEE!!!!" so it got my Acceptance in the first 5 seconds i saw it
    it may become my First Favorite by the time of release xDD even if the Evo's aren't that great i'm sure i still may pick it and just keep it on First Stage
    like i do with Piplup =\

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2013
    Snakes aren't fast either...

Fire/Ground (Of course, pigs roll around in the mud, lol)
    Grass/Dark (I can see the snake evolve into a fearsome evil monster)
    Water/Fighting (Its 2nd evo is beginning to look like a Haryhama/Buizel breed)

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Tsutaaja.

Hmmm, a grass type reptile Pokemon. Sounds familiar......
    Spoiler:

So I'm assuming Pokabu must be Flareon ripoff because both are Fire-Type mammals? -.-

I originally intended to wait for final evos. Then I went OH SCREW IT I WANT ALL THREE. Then Mijumaru grew on me a lot and now I don't know. I'm probably getting Mijumaru, but if they do something amazing with Pokabu I may have to trade for both. I like all three, but I'm more concerned with the evos than anything else.

Regarding dual-types, I don't really care what happens so long as we don't get another Fire-Fighting starter (which seems unlikely). I think Miju would be very fun as a Water/Fighting-Type but really it doesn't matter much. Personally I think all three have a fairly good chance of just having single-Type evolutions. Which I wouldn't mind.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Pokabu

I've just realised how adorably cute Pokabu is. it's mesmerizing. At first I though, yeah it's cute, but nothing compare to Tsutaja, but now, I'm thinking that I might end up choosing it :3

Anyway, look at this:
    The Starter Discussion Thread

That yellow part highlighted, Flames goes from bottom to top: Yellow, Orange, Red. I'm thinking, with each of it's evolutions, a colour will be added until it's final stage. So it'll be Orange and Yellow for it's 1st Stage evo, then Red, Orange and Yellow for it's final stage evo :) So they'll be a flame on it's head :laugh:

Last edited:

Magmarizer

Hitokiri Battōsai
    Years
    I've just realised how adorably cute Pokabu is. it's mesmerizing. At first I though, yeah it's cute, but nothing compare to Tsutaja, but now, I'm thinking that I might end up choosing it :3

Anyway, look at this:
    The Starter Discussion Thread
    That yellow part highlighted, Flames goes from bottom to top: Yellow, Orange, Red. I'm thinking, with each of it's evolutions, a colour will be added until it's final stage. So it'll be Orange and Yellow for it's 1st Stage evo, then Red, Orange and Yellow for it's final stage evo :) So they'll be a flame on it's head :laugh:

That seems really likely. And i will be choosing him if the first gym is a bug type.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    The more I look at Pokabu the more I want to choose him. But the grass type starter is tempting too, it looks like it could evolve into something awesome.

Not choosing that Water type unless its final evolution is ****ing amazing.

Akita

Returned
    Years
    I don't think GameFreak wants me to use my starter for the entire game. My reaction to these starters was/is the same as my reaction when the Gen 4 starters were unveiled:

"I hope these are fake or some kind of -ah- joke. I hate them all!"

I have to say that none of my negativity will prevent me from buying B/W , though XD. I have to say that I am loving that smug little lizard. Tsutaaja all the way!

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
    Tsutaaja. None of the other ones are appealing to me. The fire one may have a chance though, depending on its evolution.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back