• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Post your unpopular Pokémon opinions

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
*Red is an embarrassing joke of a trainer with crap Pokemon.
*Ash has some sort of brain disorder. That's the only explanation I have for his unbelievable stupidity and immaturity.
*The Pokemon anime sucks (see above for the primary reason why)
*I was sick and tired of seeing Pikachu on everything YEARS ago. Now that it is fully voiced and has creepy costumes, my hatred for it is more intense than ever. It's not cute; in fact that smile is really, really disturbing.
*HG/SS were HORRIBLE remakes due to laziness on the part of the developers.
*ORAS were HORRIBLE remakes due to being based on horrible original games. Think "lipstick on a pig."
*May looks horrible in the remakes.
*Brendan looks horrible regardless of game.
*There IS too much water in Hoenn.
*FR/LG are the only good remake games to date.
*The world tournament in B2/W2 was badly executed and a complete waste of time/space.
*I don't like the following "popular" Pokemon: Arcanine, Lucario, Charizard, Gyarados, Mew.
*I'm tired of evil team plots involving legendaries and want to see a return to Team Rocket-type criminal syndicates instead of weird fringe groups.
*Shauna in X/Y wasn't cute. She was so annoying I wanted to bash her face in with a tire iron.
*Pokemon Amie weirded me out big-time. I find it to be quite a pointless addition that takes far more effort than it's worth.
*I hated having Caleb/Salem/whatshisface forcing me to team up with him for various Team Flare battles. Go home dude, you're drunk.
*I am beyond fed up with the whole "rival is your friend" crap.
*I'm fed up with recent attempts to inject "feels" into the story lines in the games. So far, every attempt as such has fallen flat on its face.
*Prof. Sycamore creeped the HELL out of me.
*Mega Evolutions are a cheap gimmick and very few Pokemon with mega evos are ones that I would even consider using.
*I want to see more Pokemon merchandise featuring the trainers.
*I want the ability to drive a car in a Pokemon game (and run over any Pikachu that might show up.)
*I want the ability to use firearms in Pokemon games.
*I want a Gym puzzle to involve calculus and other high-level mathematics.
*I hate the idea of Pokemon following me outside of their Pokeballs.
*I prefer Slash's mechanics in 1st gen because my fave Pokemon was a BEAST back then.
*Pokemon Centers are a blatant ripoff of the Red Roof Inn motel chain.
*The Unova region was named in honor of the Chevrolet Nova.
*Omega Ruby was named in honor of the Oldsmobile Omega.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I've got a few more unpopular opinions:

I don't like the new May. To me, she looks too much like a prostitute compared to the old May. Game Freak should've brought back the R/S design.

I refuse to accept Lyra as the female protagonist in HG/SS. It's not just her design that I dislike. She's also pretty forgettable. When I was playing Heart Gold back in 2010, and I left New Bark Town, I almost completely forgot about her. Why didn't they bring back Kris?

I don't use Uber legends anymore since Gen 4.

I don't get the hate for Rhyperior. I've used in a ROM hack named Pokemon Brown, and it was a BEAST. I also like its design.

I don't hate Mr. Mime and Jynx. In fact, I actually like them. Mr. Mime is quite cute and funny, and Jynx is a pretty good sweeper and looks pretty cool.

I love Pokemon plushies!

Dragon type moves need more types to be super effective against. Especially since the Fairy type came along.

I don't care so much about Xerneas and Yveltal. I hated it that you were forced to catch them. I understand why they did it in Black and White with Reshiram and Zekrom, but in X and Y, it made no sense.

Magikarp is very overrated. It only gets so much praise because it's weak. Yes, BECAUSE it's weak.

Last edited:

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2024
- Event exclusive legends shouldn't be a thing, and there are too many legends in general, especially in Gens 4 and 5.
- I wish Nintendo/GF/whoever wasn't such a helicopter mom about hacks. Sure they shouldn't be used in competitive battle and whatnot but back in the day it was fun to make Pokemon with weird movesets or whatever just for fun/conceptual purposes.
- I'm not a fan of competitive battle in general.
- Lucario is weird looking, and most humanoid Pokemon are unsettling to me.
- I don't mind at all when GF makes things "easier," in fact I like it. I don't have all the time in the world to spend working for virtual rewards, and if I want a challenge there's plenty of ways to do it.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
This is going to be reeeee~ally interesting.

- the Pokemon Fandom is at least as creepy as the MPL and Sonic Fandom
- people always demand way too much when it comes to a new Pokemon game and then they start complaining about every little thing
- the Gen 2 games had a terrible designed postgame
- the remakes made it a little bit better, but it's still terrible
- X and Y had a relatively good postgame and everybody who keeps complaining is just an idiot
- Mevos were a good story element, but gameplay wise they made the game more unbalanced
- Charizard sucks
- the anime was made for kids, so people don't have a right to complain for the protagonist to not grow up
- the plotline of every main series game is too generic ("beat gym leaders, beat evil team, become champion")
- there has to be at least one main series game that's more like Skyrim
- people who complain about Smogon are stupid; if you don't like playing by their rules, then don't play by their rules. But be adviced that there is a reason why people use their Gentlemen's agreement
- Ferrothorn looks cool and is a good example for Gen 5 Pokemon being nowhere near bad designed

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Keep in mind, I'm not complaining when I write this list. I absolutely love the series regardless of its flaws. Having said that...

-The legends have gotten a bit excessive since gen 4: there's just too many, and they're not very unique anymore. Gen 4 is the most egregious example, but they've been slowly scaling it back since then. I actually really like the 6th gen legends a lot (even Zygarde).

-I think the Pokemon fandom is wayyyy to obsessed with things having to work out in a predictable pattern. E.g. Beedrill got a Mega Evolution, so now Butterfree HAS to get a Mega Evolution. Glalie got a Mega so Froslass HAS to get a mega. Hoenn got a remake in 6th gen, so now Sinnoh HAS to get a remake in gen 7 or gen 8. Et cetera et cetera. For once I'd like to see GameFreak surprise us with something none of us could have ever anticipated.

-Second gen is my favorite generation. I'm actually surprised at how many Pokemon fans say they don't like it or they find it boring. It was the most memorable generation for me.

-I think the rivals are too friendly nowadays. I miss when the rivals were jerks, because it was satisfying as heck to kick their butts in battle. I felt kinda bad demolishing Brendan and Calem every time we battle :(

Years
This thread should be called "Why people might hate me", because a part of me is raging and hating you all when I start seeing all the Umbreon related unpopular opinions lmao.
Lol just kidding nope Im not

Anyway here are some if mine.

Ice cream Pokemon is annoying and Magneton is not. I find Magneton to be rather awesome unique and imaginative, same with Dugtrio. Not only cos of nostalgia.

I dont understand why Lucario is so popular. It looks call and all, but why is it SO popular?

I prefer Haunter over Gengar, a lot. To the point I would never evolve it.

Same with Dragonair. Dragonair to Dragonite is like Gyarados to Magikarp. Why did a huge weather controlling snake dragon beast evolve into a yellow lizard with small wings is beyond my understanding. It's cute and there is nothing wrong with it, but Dragonair could have evolved ito so much more appealing.

I like how weak Magikarp evolves into something as awesome as Gyarados.

I find battle facilities a bit boring. It's alright, but I prefer adventure over battling. Probably cos Im not into competitive battling cos no one I know plays Pokemon

I love Umbreon.

last one.

I love all the water in Hoenn. And I love the trumpets. Both of it makes Hoenn stand out a lot.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I think I have a few or something:

-Gen 5 is the best generation.

-People need to stop complaining about the number of legendary Pokemon. You might as well complain that we have too many Pokemon. Every real-world region has it's own legends/myths/whatever. Legendary Pokemon are part of that in the Pokemon world, so why can't each region have its own legendary Pokemon?

-I don't like Flygon and don't understand why so many people like it.

-Not every (fully evolved) Pokemon should have a Mega Evolution. I like Mega Evolution, but having it on every Pokemon sounds like a terrible idea.

-Inanimate object/non-animal Pokemon designs are not inherently inferior to animal/creature Pokemon designs

-Stealth Rock over-centralizes the metagame

-Team Aqua/Magma never achieved their goal, stop saying that they did and praising them for that. Their actual goal was to expand the land/sea (which is also kind of stupid). Awakening Groudon/Kyogre was just a means to that end.

-"May/Brendan's designs are too iconic" and "Trainer customization is part of what makes Kalos special" are not valid reasons for not including trainer customization in ORAS. At least I like May's new design.

Might post more if I remember things. Feel free to come at me.

Last edited:
Years
Okay, I apologize in advance for all the notifications this post is about to spam some of you with...

-Emboar is the worst starter ever design wise
-Gen V starters overall are the worst starters
I don't think these two are "unpopular" opinions.

- Gen 3 is the best Generation for me
- Gen 5 is the worst Generation
Neither do I think these are.

- people always demand way too much when it comes to a new Pokemon game and then they start complaining about every little thing
Totally with you there.
- the Gen 2 games had a terrible designed post game
I'm with you on that one - as there were no Gym Leader rematches and certain trainers would only call you for rematches at certain times, I don't think it was very good at all.
- the remakes made it a little bit better, but it's still terrible
THIS, however, I must disagree on. Kanto was more fleshed out and the opponents weren't as laughably terrible, and the Battle Frontier along with Gym Leader + Elite Four rematches make for good stuff.
- X and Y had a relatively good postgame and everybody who keeps complaining is just an idiot
While I would agree if ORAS didn't exist, that basically has everything the post-game here does. (But XY has character customization and the Friend Safari, which I still like to get stuff from...)
- Mevos were a good story element, but gameplay wise they made the game more unbalanced
I'll take this one.
- the plotline of every main series game is too generic ("beat gym leaders, beat evil team, become champion")
BW says hi (save Pokémon from Team Plasma and defeat Ghetsis).

-Second gen is my favorite generation. I'm actually surprised at how many Pokemon fans say they don't like it or they find it boring. It was the most memorable generation for me.
I don't think you're the only person to think that. Although I thought Gen III would be your favorite... (But that said, I do wonder where Generation V stands for you with its two games being on your opposite ends.)

-I think the rivals are too friendly nowadays. I miss when the rivals were jerks, because it was satisfying as heck to kick their butts in battle. I felt kinda bad demolishing Brendan and Calem every time we battle :(
There are people that feel that same way, don't worry.

You know, with all due respect, I really wonder what some of you consider "unpopular".

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
Years
Here's another few

If a pokemon is disliked or called overrated by more than 50% of the people who mention it, it's not. Being overrated requires... Well, ratings. Charizard, arceus, pikachu, lucario, and even to a lesser extent dragonite - They're not overrated. They might even be underrated, honestly.

Certain regions having more legendaries than others makes sense. Complaining about it is like complaining that one religion has too many gods compared to another.

Lickitung is awesome, but lickylicky is garbage. Same with trubbish and garbodor (Puns).

Blaziken is easy to beat and it shouldn't be anywhere near ubers.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 22, 2014
70% of everything that came after the first two generations are litterally garbage. Instead of making so many pokemons, they may instead improve the story. Seriously, i'm sick to the bone by the usual plot, every main characters feel identical .
I know they tried to make the characters too plan so that it fits everyone taste but seriously, it get annoying after so many realeases and still no changes
Even the rivals are now becoming so boring compared to before, Blue is a jerk but at least he got personality which made people hate him instead of just feeling none whatsoever about the rival

Auris

Working on my Nat Dex
Years
May looks disgusting in ORAS, but amazing in RSE
Arceus is the god, Mew isn't
Charizard is good, but Blastoise and Venusaur better
Gen II has worst starters, worst region, worst gyms, and worst main game.
Gen III & VI are best gens
5th gen was worst gen

Lynnth

Trollbat
Years
1. I hated the BW anime. I felt like Ash's intelligence had been dumbed down to Kanto era. I mean come on. He knows how to catch a bloody Pokemon back in DP!
2. However, I really liked Team Rocket in the BW season when they were competent and managed to successfully pull of heists. Then they had to go back to being the goofy comic relief....
3. Anime Iris made me hate Iris in all her incarnations, and her becoming the goddamn Champion out of nowhere in B2W2 didn't make things better either.
4. I believe that people who hate Team Plasma and cite their hypocrisy as a reason as to why they hate them are missing the point that they are meant to be hypocrites. A few in N's Castle at the climax of BW even admit that they don't believe in the ideals of Team Plasma.
5. The Orre games were some of the best games, especially Colosseum, and I liked that fact that you were restricted to only a small pool of Pokemon for the duration of the storyline, because it meant that people had to use Pokemon that they probably would not normally ever use. Plus it had some of the best villains in the series, and the best PC.
6. People who reckon that the later Pokemon games are not dark really aren't looking hard enough.
7. Early chapters of Special were great, but I worry that with the number of Pokemon games that have been released in a rather small timeframe, I fear that the creators will just rush the later chapters and push out a half-assed, half-baked story, a la the HGSS chapters.
8. I liked Tracey.
9. Brock's gimmick of hitting on a lady then getting cock-blocked got extremely boring and cringeworthy after several seasons.
10. The series is greatly improved with each gen. I don't mind the older games, but I like seeing how GF can improve and adjust the games and their mechanics with each generation.
11. I do not care for the Battle Frontier.

Years
Kanto is the worst of the regions seen so far. It's not bad, just boring with a lack of character compared to Johto's folklore, Hoenn's far more diverse route environments, Sinnoh's cosmic mythological importance to the universe, Unova's bridges, and Kalos' beauty and it's ancient war and the "ultimate weapon." The relationships between Johto and Sinnoh and Hoenn and Kalos makes them more interesting as well. Nothing stands out to me about Kanto. Even it's legendary Pokémon don't seem to serve a special purpose. Why are they legendary? I'm referring to the birds. Mew is an exception since it's an ambiguous ancestor to "all" Pokémon. I don't recall any history or myths lessons on Kanto, either. It's jarring to me to compare that to other regions and their various historic events and intriguing myths. Isn't Sinnoh hinted to be a place where humans evolved from Pokémon and also where befriending Pokémon began, for example?

Red is not the best Pokémon Champion or badass. I have yet to see an adaptation of Red's character depicted how a lot of people imagine him to be (collected, arrogant, moody-looking). I prefer Cynthia.

Last edited:

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
Years
The Lati@s megas are awesome

Legendaries in pokeballs aren't impressive

Fairy type is slightly OP

Kanto had exactly one bad pokemon

Kyurem black > Kyurem white

Grass type starters who aren't sceptile aren't worth using

Cubone is a mutant charmander, the skull it wears is clearly from a charizard. The idea that it is related to Kangaskhan is stupid

Using stall tactics anywhere out of serious tournaments is annoying

The transition into 3D models was one of the best things ever to happen to the Pokemon series

Arceus created the pokemon earth, but mew created most pokemon and there were pokemon before (Or at least unrealted to) arceus, on other planets, like deoxys and elgyem

Terrakion is the best sword of justice

People who reference the anime to explain things that happen in the games are wrong and slightly annoying

Pokemon like metagross, garchomp and salamence are wastes of mega stones

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2015
...Huh, I didn't expect to feel strongly about most opinions. I guess most of them were a little too pessimistic for my tastes. Not to mention that most of these unpopular opinions are actually rather popular. x_x

I find Umbreon the most overrated Eeveelution ever. I don't understand why it gets so much love. It's not that good outside of PMD and Conquest, and when I face it, it tends to be annoying for some reason. Also, in my opinion, it's not cute, but actually pretty boring compared to other Dark types and to the other Eeveelutions. And finally, I think it shouldn't have won the Dark type poll.

I love Tangrowth. I don't find it ugly at all. In fact, I think its design is actually cute and funny, just like Tangela's design. Aside from that, it's also strong, bulky, and has a great ability named Regenerator.

I love the Vanillite line. They're simply adorable, and their designs are actually pretty good IMO.

I like the Totodile line far more than the Cyndaquil line.

I think Game Freak shouldn't have made Arceus the god of Pokemon. In fact, I think they shouldn't have made a Pokemon that created everything. Maybe Arceus would've been more tolerable as a Stantler evolution.

I agree with everything you said there. Especially the Arceus one.

-There's not a particular Pokemon that I hate.
-I think Dunsparce and Vanillite are just adorable.
-Whitney never troubled me too much.

I also agree with everything you said, especially Whitney/

*Pokemon Centers are a blatant ripoff of the Red Roof Inn motel chain.
*The Unova region was named in honor of the Chevrolet Nova.
*Omega Ruby was named in honor of the Oldsmobile Omega.

I'd be really hesitant to say that. First off, the Pokémon series started in a place based on Japan, so the chances of Pokémon Centers being "ripoffs" of the Red Roof Inn is very slim, and even if it were, it's probably inspiration. Secondly, Pokémon isn't all about cars and racing, so you saying that Unova and Omega Ruby are named after certain cars is really out there.

I've got a few more unpopular opinions:

I don't like the new May. To me, she looks too much like a prostitute compared to the old May. Game Freak should've brought back the R/S design.

I refuse to accept Lyra as the female protagonist in HG/SS. It's not just her design that I dislike. She's also pretty forgettable. When I was playing Heart Gold back in 2010, and I left New Bark Town, I almost completely forgot about her. Why didn't they bring back Kris?

I don't use Uber legends anymore since Gen 4.

I don't get the hate for Rhyperior. I've used in a ROM hack named Pokemon Brown, and it was a BEAST. I also like its design.

I don't hate Mr. Mime and Jynx. In fact, I actually like them. Mr. Mime is quite cute and funny, and Jynx is a pretty good sweeper and looks pretty cool.

I love Pokemon plushies!

Dragon type moves need more types to be super effective against. Especially since the Fairy type came along.

I don't care so much about Xerneas and Yveltal. I hated it that you were forced to catch them. I understand why they did it in Black and White with Reshiram and Zekrom, but in X and Y, it made no sense.

Magikarp is very overrated. It only gets so much praise because it's weak. Yes, BECAUSE it's weak.

Okay, I don't agree with your opinion on May, but like your previous post, I agree with everything you said.

- GF is stupid, And they didn't inplemented the move split on the 3rd gen
- GF is retarded, And they're making the games noob friendly
- Pokemon games NEED to be +12
- GF... I'm ****ing wating for a +12 game with all of the regions until gen 5

You have high expectations, don't you? :P Game Freak is not perfect, but to say you want the series to be 12+ and not easy is kind of... selfish, for a lack of a better word. Pokémon's for everyone, not yourself.

- the Pokemon Fandom is at least as creepy as the MPL and Sonic Fandom
- the anime was made for kids, so people don't have a right to complain for the protagonist to not grow up

Coming from someone who has been in the MLP:FiM fandom for 2 years, I have to severely disagree. If you focus on the vocal minority of any fandom, it honestly makes you look closed-minded and unwilling to try new things. And trust me when I say this - I once joined a family-friendly MLP forum, and even if I see the fellow "creep" here and there, many of these "creeps" are very friendly and can tell the difference between fantasy and reality. I know that because I'm friends with two.

I also disagree with your thoughts on kids shows. Just because it's made for kids doesn't give the excuse for the creators to try even better. Kids don't always eat up what they see. People do have the right to complain about growing up, because that'll mean the creators will try better to make even better content. Same applies for adult shows. Just because it's made for adults doesn't always mean it's going to be made with effort.

Okay, I apologize in advance for all the notifications this post is about to spam some of you with...
You know, with all due respect, I really wonder what some of you consider "unpopular".

Thank you so much for that post! I too was very confused about what fans consider popular and unpopular as well. I see plenty of people going "Gen 5's the worst" and here I am going "You sure that's unpopular?" I also agree with your unpopular opinions, especially the one on remakes and the plotline of the main series.

#DickBats

Oliver Queen
Years
  • Johto is the best region
  • Smogon doesn't know what they're doing most of the time
  • Smogon brainwashes people
  • I don't care about the manga
  • Fairies are OP and Pokemon was better without them
  • Scyther is better than Scizor
  • Mega Pidgeot is the best Mega Evolution
  • Chansey should've never enter competitive Pokemon, EVER
  • Red is over-rated