• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Post your unpopular Pokémon opinions

Years
- Lucario isn't that great and doesn't need to be a Smash 3D/U character. Its generation is over anyway, so why is it still hanging around?
As you'll see in a bit, I don't think you're the only person to think that. I would have had them stitch with Mewtwo.
- Most Mega Evolutions should just be regular evolutions and this shouldn't really be a thing. I do like hunting for the stones, I admit.
Maybe not the ones that are two stages, but the ones that are one I could get.

-The plot is always the same. They should put a little bit of imagination in it, starting with making it longer and more unexpected.
Once again, I really doubt too many will disagree with that.
-Some types are unbalanced, for example, Dragon has passed from being the strongest to one of the weakest
I don't think one immunity will bring a type from the strongest to one of the weakest.
-I liked Emerald, HGSS and Platinum more than their originals. R/S didn't have anything after the League, G/S was very good but lacked something, as did D/P.
Very, very few would disagree with you on that one.
-B/W and X/Y were incomplete. Their lack of... well, anyting was even worse than R/S
If we're talking post-game, I still think RS is second worst to RBY.
-Gen I, mainly Red and Blue, is overrated, and this happens with many games (cofFFVIIcof)
-In the anime, Ash forgets everything he learned in previous journeys, except the Kanto Journey (the first one). I think that ther should be a new main character, or instead of going with Ash, the story should continue with other of the main ones, like May or Max, and then after a couple season, with one of the friends that journeyed with them. They can be with previous main characters, but not more than a couple episodes.
This is actually kind of true.
-Rock types (specially when coupled with another type, like Ground or Water) are too weak, their biggest vulnerability usually OHKOs them
As is this.

- Lucario is my least favourite Pokémon.
Yay.
- I'm not really a huge fan of Mega Evolution.
But this is probably not something with few claimers.
- And finally, Gen V is my least favourite Gen by FAR.
And neither is this.

Once again, i'm left wondering how many of you consider certain things "unpopular". Just had to post this again.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jan 15, 2015
Putting STAB moves on your Pokemon is silly because 9/10 other players with the same Pokemon will also be using them and their placement within your move slots makes you very predictable (as a player).

However having said that there are some I just can't resist (chompy chompy earthquake!)

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I prefer Haunter over Gengar, a lot. To the point I would never evolve it.

Same with Dragonair.

Oh my. SAME. I don't like dragonite that much because I love Dragonaire!! The same thing for haunter and gengar, and I have to say, one of my favorite pokemon is Rhydon. I do like Rhyperior, but I still choose Rhydon!

Years
- I think Gen 1 and 2 are the weakest of the series
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is my favorite spin off of pokemon, and my favorite games of all time (especially explorers of time/sky/darkness)
- I like Garbodor and Vanniluxe, and most pokemon some people think are "uncreative" from Gen 5
- My favorite pokemon is in my 2nd least favorite generation (azumarill)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2015
-There are way too many Pokemon
-The game is getting too complex

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
-Gamefreak is making the games way to "noob" friendly and using the excuse of it being a kid's game.
-The fact that they come out with a game every year. They don't put enough time into them like they should. ._.
-To many legendary pokemon
-Legendary pokemon shouldn't be caught.
-Sprites were horrible and I'm glad they're gone.
-Gamefreak is to afraid of change.
-Ash is stupid and they need to get rid of him.
-All of the games after gen IV have felt incomplete and rushed
-They need to get away from the current storyline they use in the games.
-Gamefreak should make games that are for the older audience
-Pikachus new "cry" in the new gen is horrible
-Fairy types suck and really weren't needed. Especially after so many years.
-Gamefreak needs to stop taking out cool mechanics

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2015
- people who complain about Smogon are stupid; if you don't like playing by their rules, then don't play by their rules.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Smogon bashers can't provide any logical justification to their hate and resort to saying their tiers are bs because their favorite Pokemon is NU.
-Generation II and their remakes are very overrated. The entire game is plagued by bad Pokemon distribution and a bad leveling curve. And no two regions aren't better than one. Kanto is watered down and really just an excuse to make the bad game drag on even longer.
-The anime is ridiculous. I honestly think it is no longer necessary. In the beginning, it was a marketing gimmick to sell more games. Over time, it transformed into plot less adventure about a ten year boy who has regions of experience and yet can't beat sh*t. And it wasn't any better during the original series, you are just blinded by nostalgia.
-It's not such an unpopular opinion now but Game Freak needs to get it's act together. But they don't have to because the Pokemon fanbase will buy any of the trash Game Freak releases.
-Generation III & IV are among the best overall. All 4 regions up to this point could be accessed through one console: the Nintendo DS.
-Generations V and VI were decent but had alot of latent potential not used by Game Freak.
-Generations I & II were bad games even for their time. I don't care if they were the first. Many hard years of development went into the games and they still sucked.
-Eeveelutions are overrated.
-There isn't enough Pokemon.
-The newer Pokemon aren't uncreative. They take a different inspiration than the older Pokemon. Some are bizarre but some are pretty good.

Rman917

Rman
Years
-I really like the later gen games (namely IV, V, VI).
-That includes Pokémon with "unimaginative" designs.
-I never really enjoyed HG/SS. I don't know why, I guess that I just did not really enjoy them as much as D/P/Pt.
-I didn't really enjoy the Kanto games (I played them on an emulator a few times)

Indigo

The Novelist from Panju
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 7, 2019
If it weren't for the first season of the anime, Kanto would be extremley forgettable.
There hasn't been a good champion since Cynthia.
I'm getting pissed at Game Freak for introducing amazing features and then scrapping them in the next game (walking with pokemon & character customization)

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I love every single pokemon. There isn't a single one that needs to be thrown out.

BW were by far the best games.

Kanto and Johto were not the best anime seasons.

Pokemon Manga should be made into a new pokemon anime. (Not like the origin) But actually like the Manga.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 5, 2015
Hello. These threads are typically terrible ideas because people love to corrupt them with tons of fact-based claims that are often false; people do not (want to) understand the difference between opinion and fact. I'm here to point out the facts and to correct the sheer number of misconceptions brought up in this thread alone; nothing in this post will be opinion-based. People need to write opinions that actually sound like it, or these silent wars all over the world will impede progress forever.

Before I start, I should probably mention that I really don't want to hear people complaining about competitive play, because I will be mentioning it more than once. Disliking competitive play is a great opinion for this actual thread, but it (and the numerous opinions behind it) is not even remotely a response to anything that I have to say. Similarly, I don't want to hear people complain about Smogon, because very few people actually understand what Smogon is and how they work, and that majority will often cite some irrelevant excuse for their refusal to do so. Finally, yes, anyone's cries of "it's just a game" are exactly as bad as anyone's cries of "you're doing it wrong", and this is one of those cases where two wrongs do not make a right (noted because it's a common misconception that they never do).

Unown arent that bad of a pokemon.
False. One, disliking Unown's design (another facet of "bad") is extremely rare and would be the actual opinion to use in this thread. Two, since Pokemon is (by basic concept and design) a competitive video game before anything else, whether a Pokemon is bad or not depends on how they actually play. Unown has always been in the bottom or near-bottom tiers, though it might be able to do something in the particularly tiers it's in (I'm not familiar enough with its matchups in each game to be able to determine that, and people making "overpowered" jokes for it everywhere doesn't help).

Genwunners suck.
True. They lie to themselves about a game they barely played when they were young children, and refuse to understand the very basics of how game design works.

Red isn't an almighty god.
False. Many series portray the protagonist as the greatest individual in the entire story, and Pokemon does this in two ways:

-The games make each player character better than the previous, and the player characters are the only ones in any given game who ever have a chance at obtaining every single known Pokemon as they are revealed (never mind the numerous god-like Pokemon within that number). Being able to fight and defeat Red at the end of G/S/C (and HG/SS) is a nod to this.
-The only manga you can take seriously (Pocket Monster Special; not an opinion) explicitly makes Pokedex Holders the greatest characters in the story, and Red and Gold (somewhat forced) as the greatest Pokedex holders.

-Charizard is the only Gen 1 starter worth using, even counting their megas.
False. With Unown in mind, exactly how good Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise are depends on which generation you're playing. In generation 1 specifically (since it's a generation 1 starter), Venusaur is slightly better than the others for most ways of playing.

-Ash was never a good protagonist, he hasn't gotten any better or worse, he was terrible since Kanto.
True. Ash is specifically designed to not develop as a character, because Nintendo does not want to replace him or end the show.

-Smogon has no idea what it's doing half the time and its tier lists are horrible.
False. Nearly everything Smogon does has real effort put into it, and no such critic has put in the effort to prove them so fundamentally wrong. What they get wrong is generation 1; they do not put in their standard effort for that game, and those that do are considered to be a different community altogether.

-Dragon type hasn't been overall OP since Gen 2.
False. The entire point of introducing Fairy was to have a more accessible hard counter to the still-strong Dragon and to have a new defensive type.

-Gamefreak have never been competent game developers
False. They have historically made generally renowned games such as Mendel Palace, Pulseman, Drill Dozer, and HarmoKnight, while also making a long-running and highly-regarded series of games that even have a better sense of balance (feel free to complain about Stealth Rock, because it's irrelevant) than most other popular competitive video games. If that's not competent, no video game developer is competent.

-People being apologetic or indifferent about certain things in Pokemon is what is going to kill the franchise one day (and I hope it never happens)
False. Like so many things, Pokemon will only ever be killed due to things that have nothing to do with it; that is all humans will allow.

-Charizard isn't that great and it doesn't make any sense it has more Mega Evolutions than other Pokémon.
False. Charizard has always been considered the best generation 1 starter design, ever since generation 1 itself.

-Mega Evolution shouldn't be introduced. It's unbalancing.
False. Mega Evolutions are not related to the big problems such as Dragon/Steel and Stealth Rock (both of which were supposed to be mitigated with X/Y), nor have they been shown to be a new problem in and of themselves. Evolutions themselves cause a much bigger imbalance, and that isn't exactly a fault.

-The type balance in Gen II-V was fine. (I don't have anything against the fairy type, I just think it's weird adding a type after so many generations.)
False. Again, the capability of Dragon and Steel was always seen as a problem.

-A dual typed move doesn't make any sense.
False. The currently single dual-type move makes as much sense as Hidden/Secret Power, dual-type Pokemon, and so on. It isn't even properly dual-type; it is treated as a Fighting-type move that happens to turn into Flying-type one against certain types.

Mewtwo isn't a worthy of the hype built around it. Honestly, it's just like Charizard's situation. It's a pretty overrated pokemon and after recently watching the Genesect movie, I find it quite unlikable. :/
False. Just in generation 1, Mewtwo is much stronger than the second-strongest Pokemon (Dragonite and Mew; from them down, strength is a gradual downward slope), and it has the moves to take advantage of that. Even to this day, it is still one of the strongest Pokemon ever; its Mega evolutions now give it some different things to do.

• I get that the anime was made as an ad for the games. However, from what I've seen as a young Pokémon fan in the late nineties and early two thousands, the anime actually did more harm to the series' image than good. Ash is a horrible protagonist who never grows up mentally, never learns and will never amount to anything. I think the fact that his friends who reached their goals did so only after ditching Ash is a testament to that. Also, I have an irrational hatred of Pikachu because of the anime.
False. Simply put, the only people who stop to notice are those who consider themselves fans of the show, who watched it in the past.

• I more or less get remaking a game from a previous generation, but when people start wondering whether there will be a remake of a remake (like people clamoring for a 3DS remake of RBY), that's just... too much. For people who think Gen 1 was so awesome that it deserves a second round of remakes, or that it absolutely needs to be updated to be compatible with the most recent releases: it doesn't; let it go.
False. It's clear that Game Freak is planning on doing a remake every so often. We didn't get one with generation 5 because that was meant to be a special generation with a lot of ties to generation 4, similar to generation 2 to generation 1. Right now, there are two moves one could guess:

-They'll make the third version of X/Y on regular 3DS and the new generation for the New 3DS, and the latter will be like the aforementioned generation 2 and 5; no remakes yet.
-They'll make the third version of X/Y for the New 3DS, and make a new generation for a possible successor platform with the potential for a remake in that generation.

Related, whenever you hear rumors that there won't be a "follow-up version", disregard them. Game Freak tried to scare people with B/W in order to hide what they were trying to do with B2/W2. If there is no Z, GF will be doing something they have never done before (I would think everyone understands by now that the remakes have created their own separate pattern and do not count).

*Red is an embarrassing joke of a trainer with crap Pokemon.
False. Every single trainer in the entire series is a joke who does not understand the rules of the game they're in. Red is the most threatening of these simply due to using the starters, Snorlax, and Espeon, all at higher levels than anyone else in the entire main series.

*I'm fed up with recent attempts to inject "feels" into the story lines in the games. So far, every attempt as such has fallen flat on its face.
False. Generation 5's storyline, the strongest example of this, is generally considered to be the best storyline in the series because of it.

*I prefer Slash's mechanics in 1st gen because my fave Pokemon was a BEAST back then.
False. Slash has worked exactly the same since its debut.

If anyone cares, LeSabre sounds like a troll.

Magikarp is very overrated. It only gets so much praise because it's weak. Yes, BECAUSE it's weak.
False. Magikarp isn't being praised, it's being joked about. It's a meme dating back to an old video of someone jokingly taking out a team of legendaries with a complicated and normally useless strategy; supposedly the opponent was some random who had no idea how to play the game. The only people who are taking Magikarp seriously are the people who don't get the joke.

- I wish Nintendo/GF/whoever wasn't such a helicopter mom about hacks. Sure they shouldn't be used in competitive battle and whatnot but back in the day it was fun to make Pokemon with weird movesets or whatever just for fun/conceptual purposes.
False. What you describe is actually what happens. Nintendo tries to prevent hacks as long as they can so that hacking doesn't take over online and doesn't cause drama at officially sanctioned tournaments. They know people can easily screw around with emulators and save editors and such, and they don't really care beyond the legality of people playing games they don't own (ignore the Nintendo Clause about not being able to make backups, because they don't really care either).

- people always demand way too much when it comes to a new Pokemon game and then they start complaining about every little thing
True. People really don't know what they want, and really don't know how to ask for it.

- people who complain about Smogon are stupid; if you don't like playing by their rules, then don't play by their rules. But be adviced that there is a reason why people use their Gentlemen's agreement
True. People put too much stock in a vocal minority that doesn't really know anything about their community, something that nearly every single community is subject to (because it's a result of human nature). The axiom about "weakest links" is generally as false as "two wrongs make a right"/"eye for an eye" is true.

I absolutely love the series regardless of its flaws.
False. See the first paragraph of this post.

-I think the Pokemon fandom is wayyyy to obsessed with things having to work out in a predictable pattern. E.g. Beedrill got a Mega Evolution, so now Butterfree HAS to get a Mega Evolution. Glalie got a Mega so Froslass HAS to get a mega. Hoenn got a remake in 6th gen, so now Sinnoh HAS to get a remake in gen 7 or gen 8. Et cetera et cetera. For once I'd like to see GameFreak surprise us with something none of us could have ever anticipated.
False. Game Freak has always wanted to work in such patterns, as they were the ones who created pairs like Butterfree and Beedrill, and the remakes pattern, to begin with. The imbalances in this series come from their current inability (designing even Mega Evolutions is difficult and time-consuming) or outright refusal (Nidorina/Nidoqueen breeding, taking until generation 4 to fix the physical/special imbalance, taking until generation 6 to do something about Dragon/Steel and Stealth Rock) to fill in these gaps.

- GF is retarded, And they're making the games noob friendly
False. All GF has ever done is make the games less time-consuming while making gameplay both more complicated and more complex.

- Team Rocket is the worse team ever, Stupid thieves
False. Team Rocket is one of the most competent gangs in the series. Even in the irrelevant anime, Jessie and James (and Team Rocket in general) refuse to give up even as every other gangs does.

I find Magneton to be rather awesome unique and imaginative, same with Dugtrio. Not only cos of nostalgia.
False. There is nothing "unique" about taking three of the same Pokemon and having them move together.

-Inanimate object/non-animal Pokemon designs are not inherently inferior to animal/creature Pokemon designs
True. It's entirely a matter of opinion that non-animals are being considered and entirely a matter of opinion to criticize them.

-Stealth Rock over-centralizes the metagame
True. Yes, it's a meme. No, just about everyone who takes generation 4 and 5 seriously says this; those that don't don't actually play. It may even still be an issue in generation 6, but supposedly Defog has helped a lot.

-Team Aqua/Magma never achieved their goal, stop saying that they did and praising them for that. Their actual goal was to expand the land/sea (which is also kind of stupid). Awakening Groudon/Kyogre was just a means to that end.
True. Aqua and Magma are the most incompetent teams in the games. The often-criticized Team Flare are far more competent, being more like Team Rocket and about as effective.

-"May/Brendan's designs are too iconic" and "Trainer customization is part of what makes Kalos special" are not valid reasons for not including trainer customization in ORAS. At least I like May's new design.
True. Game Freak is being lazy instead of strict, especially since default Calem and Serena have always overpowered all other possible options.

If a pokemon is disliked or called overrated by more than 50% of the people who mention it, it's not. Being overrated requires... Well, ratings. Charizard, arceus, pikachu, lucario, and even to a lesser extent dragonite - They're not overrated. They might even be underrated, honestly.
True. A lot of it is just people being contrary and ignoring their own possible opinion.

Certain regions having more legendaries than others makes sense. Complaining about it is like complaining that one religion has too many gods compared to another.
False. Pokemon game development is very complicated compared to other games, so it is completely possible that more effort spent on legendaries means less effort spent on normal Pokemon.

Blaziken is easy to beat and it shouldn't be anywhere near ubers.
False. Blaziken has actually been buffed, and what few counters it has now aren't great; there is absolutely nothing "easy to beat" about it. Please remember that Blaziken is neutral to Stealth Rock.

70% of everything that came after the first two generations are litterally garbage. Instead of making so many pokemons, they may instead improve the story. Seriously, i'm sick to the bone by the usual plot, every main characters feel identical .
False. Instead of focusing on the superficial, they've focused on the actual gameplay; generations 3 and 6 have the most depth in the entire series. Generation 5 is also considered to have the best plot in the entire series despite this, and Pocket Monster Special is still a thing.

Arceus is the god, Mew isn't
True. Noone really disagrees with these except the genwunners, the people who mindlessly refuse to accept Arceus's existence.

Charizard is good, but Blastoise and Venusaur better
True. Charizard is the most difficult Pokemon to use in generation 1. In later gens, it's not really clear, but they don't seem to compete with each other.

7. Early chapters of Special were great, but I worry that with the number of Pokemon games that have been released in a rather small timeframe, I fear that the creators will just rush the later chapters and push out a half-assed, half-baked story, a la the HGSS chapters.
False. There has always been a window for rushing Special ever since Gold and Silver had been released around the time Yellow Chapter had started. The HG/SS chapters are the same basic quality as every other; anything beyond that is opinion.

Red is not the best Pokémon Champion or badass. I have yet to see an adaptation of Red's character depicted how a lot of people imagine him to be (collected, arrogant, moody-looking).
False.

-See above about how Red's been treated.
-The player is supposed to be so collected and moody-looking (not arrogant), after what would be an entire series of adventures. That doesn't target shounens, so it's never really been exported.

I find the term "genwunner" to be absolutely stupid and childish.
You can only refer to a joke as a joke.

People who reference the anime to explain things that happen in the games are wrong and slightly annoying
True. All you can do is tell them the truth and hope they listen.

Pokemon like metagross, garchomp and salamence are wastes of mega stones
False. All three are powerful upgrades, and Mega Salamence in particular is tearing competitive to pieces. Sounds like someone's mad.

• Smogon doesn't know what they're doing most of the time
  • Smogon brainwashes people
False. See above. Smogon is all we really have because all alternatives are concerned with either a completely different game or allowing people to overrun everyone else with unfair tactics.

• And the Dragon type seems to be arbitrary applied, why is Altaria a Dragon type but not Charizard (barring Mega Charizard X) nor Gyarados? Also, wind based moves make no sense as Flying type to me, there's a big difference between using flight to carry out attacks as in Brave Bird and Aerial Ace, and using wind power as in Gust and Hurricane.
False. The problem is that Dragon is something of an upgraded Flying, so it's difficult to get the right type combinations. It was decided to make Charizard Fire/Flying because Dragon was and has always been very strong, so giving it to a starter would be insane. Mega Evolutions allow Game Freak to solve both problems.

• Also, wind based moves make no sense as Flying type to me, there's a big difference between using flight to carry out attacks as in Brave Bird and Aerial Ace, and using wind power as in Gust and Hurricane.
False. This is a complete misunderstanding of how wings work; please read up on basic flight.

• Mewtwo isn't that great. And even though Charizard is cool, and one of my all-time favorite Pokemon, I think the attention it gets from the fandom is a bit excessive. Neither of them deserved to have two megas, and the fact that they do is proof that Game Freak has been trying too hard to pander to nostalgic adult fans.
False. See above. The suggestion that it's wrong to show respect to people who still love Pokemon, a series meant for all ages, as it evolves over the years, is simply hate. The situation is more complicated than that anyway, as the remakes are not just meant for fans of the original games.

• There's nothing wrong with cute, "girly" Pokemon, and there's nothing inherently childish about either of those two adjectives. In fact, if you think cuteness or femininity are bad things, you're wrong, end of discussion.
True. How the concept of "beauty" is treated is why the world is such a miserable place.

Gen 1 is not the best gen. It's extremely glitchy, the psychic type is extremely unbalanced, dragon and psychic type were only represented by one evolutionary family, and the only dragon move is Dragon Rage which is a fixed damage attack.
False.

-It's wrong to say that generation 1 being glitchy is a slight, as glitches have always been considered to typically add more to a game; see speedrunning. Generation 3 actually has more harmful glitches than generation 1 does.
-Psychic also has Drowzee/Hypno.
-The only Dragon move being Dragon Rage is because of just how insanely powerful Dragon-type is in generation 1 alone; if there were serious Dragon moves for Dragonite (there), it might actually be more powerful than Mewtwo (there).

Deoxys-S and Genesect shouldn't have been banned.
False. What are you actually going to do about it? Absolutely nothing, because you don't have a point. You're just mad about something you're not going to bother actually researching, like so many people.

- Lucario isn't that great and doesn't need to be a Smash 3D/U character. Its generation is over anyway, so why is it still hanging around?
False. It's just that popular; see Pikachu and the generation 1 starters. This isn't like Zelda where having multiple identical versions of a character like that is sketchy, or Fire Emblem where the series isn't really big enough to justify having so many characters from it (Marth is kept because he represents the series as a whole never mind the recent remake; Ike is kept because his games are "special" and because he's unique; Awakening has two characters from it because it was a huge success everywhere and the most successful game in the series period).

-Trade evolutions... WHY!?
Having trade evolutions is more consistent with the big emphasis on trading this series is supposed to have.

-Gen I, mainly Red and Blue, is overrated, and this happens with many games (cofFFVIIcof)
False.

-Generation 1 has gameplay that doesn't really resemble any other, and the community for it is not for genwunners. It is the only generation to have such a community playing it other than generation 3.
-Final Fantasy VII is not overrated by any stretch of the imagination. That is a meme and one just as destructive as the genwunner nonsense.

-I don't like Charizard, but I had to choose it because there weren't good Fire types ingame. This leads to the lack of variety in some types, for example, Fire or Electric
False.

-Venusaur takes care of everything Charizard can't, and Arcanine and Ninetales are both very good just starting out and competitively.
-Electric is one of the more represented types in the series, especially in generation 1.

-Gamefreak is making the games way to "noob" friendly and using the excuse of it being a kid's game.
-The fact that they come out with a game every year. They don't put enough time into them like they should. ._.
-Gamefreak is to afraid of change.
-Gamefreak should make games that are for the older audience
-Fairy types suck and really weren't needed. Especially after so many years.
-Gamefreak needs to stop taking out cool mechanics
False. You're as bad as it gets.

-Again, Game Freak is removing time-wasting and adding more depth.
-They don't come out with "a game every year" (versions are very easy to make), and the recent games are far less rushed and glitchy than previous ones.
-Change is not inherently good, especially when the majority does not want it. Pokemon changes a lot each generation anyway; it's often ignored for superficial or "don't like it" reasons.
-Instead of being targeted largely at kids, the series is now targeted largely at everyone.
-Dragon and Steel really were that good, sorry. Stop being so mad.
-Everything that Game Freak has removed has either been readded or has been a mostly unliked/unused gimmick, sometimes both.

Smogon bashers can't provide any logical justification to their hate and resort to saying their tiers are bs because their favorite Pokemon is NU.
True. This is what 99% of these people are focusing on, and they are huge hypocrites. They demand that Smogon stop enforcing their hard research on them, while demanding that their unbalanced "anything goes" rules be enforced on everyone else.

That's everything I saw. I know it's a lot, but it's all very important to understanding what's really going on with this series. Hopefully, someone out there will read and understand this (without having already known it all, of course); thanks to those who do.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Oh hey look a smogonite.

-The only Dragon move being Dragon Rage is because of just how insanely powerful Dragon-type is in generation 1 alone; if there were serious Dragon moves for Dragonite (there), it might actually be more powerful than Mewtwo (there).

LOL

Good luck being more powerful than Mewtwo with only 298 Special (did you know Dragon moves were Special up to RSE?), no stat boosters (while Mewtwo has Amnesia) and a huge weakness to Ice (while Mewtwo lacks weaknesses). BoltBeam is everywhere in RBY. And Dragonite loses to Ice Beam.

For someone so eager to state his opinion as fact and praise competitive, you seem not to have a good grasp of how things work. I won't pretend I'm a good battler by any means, but at least this much I know.

Last edited:

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
Years
Sometimes it's hard to distinguish a troll from a delusional yet assured individual.

Anywho - unpopular opinions.

I think smogon is outdated.
I think GameFreak's doing a fine job with their franchise.
I think they are aware of what they do for meta-play.
I think Megas are a cool and add an interesting factor to competitive play.

I like to use a specially offensive Serene Grace Dunsparce. I think it has uses.

The ???

The one true question mark
Years
  • Age 27
  • ???
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
Jeez. Brah take a chill pill, its alright its just a game/anime/manga ...
I only read the unknown part and I disagree with you. Pokemon is NOT just about competitive gaming. It was started as a game, true, but now it has a lot of stuff to it. Disliking or liking a pokemon based on design is totally an opinion, not a fact.

Years
Alright guys, I know it's impossible to agree with everyone else's opinions (especially the unpopular ones), but that's what this thread is about, so no need calling out other people on what they think about the franchise. I'm not saying you can't disagree with people, but I just want to nip anything in the bud before it happens, since I'd rather not see an active thread like this one closed down.

Now, back to your unpopular opinions!

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
False. What are you actually going to do about it? Absolutely nothing, because you don't have a point. You're just mad about something you're not going to bother actually researching, like so many people.

Do you even know what you're saying?

Genesect imo shouldn't have been banned because it was a bit too easy to control its U-turn spam by setting up hazards and it desperately needed a Download boost to KO a lot of things that would handle it otherwise. There's also the problem of being walled by Heatran and Aegislash, which was OU at that time.

As for Deoxys-S, there are a few things who can anti-lead it, such as Cloyster and Deo-D, and its hazards could be easily spun away, as not very many hyper offense teams contained Aegislash back then. The true problem was Bisharp. (the revenge killer set was by far its best one, but once it used psycho boost it could become setup fodder for things not weak to superpower).

Oh hey look a smogonite.

LOL

Good luck being more powerful than Mewtwo with only 298 Special (did you know Dragon moves were Special up to RSE?), no stat boosters (while Mewtwo has Amnesia) and a huge weakness to Ice (while Mewtwo lacks weaknesses). BoltBeam is everywhere in RBY. And Dragonite loses to Ice Beam.

For someone so eager to state his opinion as fact and praise competitive, you seem not to have a good grasp of how things work. I won't pretend I'm a good battler by any means, but at least this much I know.

Just saying that Blizzard is more popular than Ice Beam in RBY due to 90% acc and Dragonite can attempt to eliminate Blizzard abusers with AgiliWrap. But I'm with you on the Mewtwo vs Dragonite thing.

Last edited:
Back