• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Game Development Daily Chit Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alababal

Pokémon Alabaster Developer
Years
  • That's a matter of personal taste mate, that and it depends on the tileset you're using I guess. I personally like gen 4 sprites the best, but what I like shouldn't matter. It's what you like. I'll tell you though the screen size is completely irrelevant. None of them are best for a screen 512x384.

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2023
    I like the BW sprites the most. (Also I use charas like Looker or N, so it would be good) But since I don't use Dualscreen, the look really high. It isn't that bad outside, but inside with tables and that stuff....

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • I like the BW sprites the most. (Also I use charas like Looker or N, so it would be good) But since I don't use Dualscreen, the look really high. It isn't that bad outside, but inside with tables and that stuff....
    Honestly if you have the time, I'd recommend coming up with your own style - it makes your game stand out visually and gives you total control over the look of the game. I'm partial to gen 4 myself, but I can also appreciate the shift towards more natural proportions as the tech became available to make the larger environments.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    So F5 is in the middle of nowhere, compared to the other controls that Essentials uses. How about I change it to both V and Tab instead? I say "both" because as well as Z/X/C, you can use Shift/Esc/Enter and Space as well, so having two keys for using a registered item would match.

KillerMapper

Helix Follower
    Years
  • It's a good idea to move this input. F5 is really far away the other controls. Also I just understood why Z was used instead of W, it's because I have azerty keyboard...

That reminds me there is a F1 menu with some input configuration. But it seems we can't change them (it has no effect on Essentials, at least I couldn't change them). Do you think it could be possible to allow control customization via this menu?

Wootius

Glah
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2022
    2Ew9BuH.png

Porting to 15.1 from 13 almost complete. Just have to move a few custom move checks over.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    So F5 is in the middle of nowhere, compared to the other controls that Essentials uses. How about I change it to both V and Tab instead? I say "both" because as well as Z/X/C, you can use Shift/Esc/Enter and Space as well, so having two keys for using a registered item would match.
    Tab may mess with alt+tab. Players probably will press it accidentally.

I second the notion of at least starting with 4th gen tiles. Not only are they the most abundantly available generation of tiles(when you factor in most fan-made tiles are of that style), but they also look the nicest with the essentials technology. The most important part is simply consistency however, both overworlds and tiles should either be all DPPT, all HGSS, or all BWBW2.
    Abundant? I see all tiles from RSE and FrLg, but some from 4th are still missing. And DPPT/HGSS still even share some overworlds between the games.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
    Years
  • Tab may mess with alt+tab. Players probably will press it accidentally.
    That's an interesting problem, it might cause a problem there, I really liked the idea of tab being used like that - the "`" key right above it could be used though

Are you guys working on anything? I know lauerolus is back to working on his game and upgrading to current essentials, but what about everyone else? It's that time of year when universities and highschools are ending for summer, is anyone thinking of taking summer classes? does anyone have summer plans? are there any big plans for your game or a resource project?

I personally am actually working on a SMW hack before I work on my pokemon game :P

Wootius

Glah
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2022
    SMW is my favorite Mario game, I'd play that as long as it's not kaizo tier.

I finally got permission to post my game on a large forum. Very happy about that. Port to 15.1 done, items/abilities I'd done in 13 had already been made, on to Fuchsia City.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
    Years
  • SMW is my favorite Mario game, I'd play that as long as it's not kaizo tier.

I finally got permission to post my game on a large forum. Very happy about that. Port to 15.1 done, items/abilities I'd done in 13 had already been made, on to Fuchsia City.

Oh did I say super mario?
    I meant Super Waluigi
    gaiacool_zps97889d94.png

It's not Kaizo tier, it's a pretty standard hack with only a few levels, but I really wanted to make a small game.

Years
  • Ok so I am kinda confused. In the game development section, do they ALL have to be non-romhack pokemon games? Or can they be any sort of game we made as long as it's not a romhack?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Any kind of game. It doesn't have to be a Pokémon game, it doesn't even have to be a computer game. Obviously, since this is the PokéCommunity, the majority of games will be Pokémon-based, but you can do whatever you want. So long as it's not some kind of ROM hack, because there's a separate section for those.

Years
  • Any kind of game. It doesn't have to be a Pokémon game, it doesn't even have to be a computer game. Obviously, since this is the PokéCommunity, the majority of games will be Pokémon-based, but you can do whatever you want. So long as it's not some kind of ROM hack, because there's a separate section for those.

Thanks for clearing this up. Well time to get back to working on a bunch of things at once lol.

Brane

-
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    Didn't think this question warranted a thread.

But essentially from what I've seen RMXP runs off of Ruby? So the limit to any features I want to add would be how well I can program in Ruby?

I've never tried to use RMXP before, usually stuck to ROM hacking but that was a very long time ago, so I figure I may as well learn RMXP over re-learning ROM hacking as RMXP is less limiting.

Am I right in thinking this?

Years
  • Didn't think this question warranted a thread.

But essentially from what I've seen RMXP runs off of Ruby? So the limit to any features I want to add would be how well I can program in Ruby?

I've never tried to use RMXP before, usually stuck to ROM hacking but that was a very long time ago, so I figure I may as well learn RMXP over re-learning ROM hacking as RMXP is less limiting.

Am I right in thinking this?

Correct, RPG Maker XP uses Ruby. As far as I can tell, every RPG Maker program has up until the most recent, MV.

I personally learned Ruby (and RPG Maker) by ripping the guts out of the Essentials Gen VI Pack and then throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks, as it were. Not the kind of learning process the mods here tend to like (they want people here to dip their toes in the water first by messing around with RPG Maker without Essentials so you can learn how to event and database and such, and what I did was essentially diving into the water at twenty mph).

Brane

-
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    Correct, RPG Maker XP uses Ruby. As far as I can tell, every RPG Maker program has up until the most recent, MV.

I personally learned Ruby (and RPG Maker) by ripping the guts out of the Essentials Gen VI Pack and then throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks, as it were. Not the kind of learning process the mods here tend to like (they want people here to dip their toes in the water first by messing around with RPG Maker without Essentials so you can learn how to event and database and such, and what I did was essentially diving into the water at twenty mph).

Well breaking things and seeing what happens is definitely the more entertaining way of learning haha.

I'd been wanting to learn Ruby for a while now and I guess this might finally be my way of doing it considering I can apply it practically to something.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Do you guys like to listen to music or have something on in the background to listen to while working? If so, what do you have playing? I used to listen to podcasts but lately have been listening to some old 90's sitcoms while working.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back