• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hated this generation

Years
  • Best Gym Leaders
    I loved the colors and personalities of the gym leaders, no gen comes close to this ensemble.
    Hated this generation

Best Gym Designs
    Rollercoasters, Grunge Club, Fashion Runway, Excavation Site, Airport, Quaint Cafe, Museum, Colorful Art Gallery (I love Burgh's Gyms!!!!!!), and a Lilypad Oasis. I like how the gyms are actual organic places that any given town or city might showcase as an attraction (minus the dragon statue gym). Other regions feature more if not most of their gyms as a, well, gym + elemental decor which is less innovative.

AMAZING and by far the Best Music
    Do I really need to say anything to justify this.
    Gym Leader Themes were perfect! And this is a good representation of why BW gyms felt rewarding.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Si1aZw_D4

Best evil team theme...so catchy, I don't know if GF can top it. Well, N's theme and Castle theme was pretty amazing too.
    It's funny that Team Plasma was criticized for being hypocritical, when that is the whole point of the storyline...I don't even know how to respond to such blind criticism.

Very colorful and fun puzzles!

Pokemon Selection
    There will inevitably be more disliked and liked pokemon in numbers, it's the players choice of whether to place more stock in the losses of having to face a pokemon that the player dislikes or the gains made in having a greater number of pokemon to navigate Unova with. I personally can't think of more pokemon I love and hate than Black/White, but with that said, my list of loved pokemon outweighs the pokemon I dislike in Unova. Also, it was nice to see a unique region that is distinct with region exclusive pokemon, and the BW2 sequel did a good job of including other pokemon while highlighting the new pokemon of the region.

I absolutely love the Snivy, Oshawott, Petilil, Purrloin, Munna, Reuniclus, Emolga, Zorua, Vullaby, Blitzle, Frillish, Joltik, Larvesta, Meinfoo, Karrablast, Deerling, Sewaddle, Cottonee, Ducklett, Cubchoo, Maractus, Deino, and Rufflet lines. Inevitably, with so many choices (that are new and unique to the region), it makes the Unova region exciting and great for replayability. Not to mention, this generation gave some personality to the sprites with animations.

Most Beautiful and Exciting Cities
    I love Castelia from the ports, bridges, skyscrapers, to the round/panoramic views.
    Iccirus City is simple yet refined with those windmills and rolling hills.
    Nimbasa city is flashy and glitzy, I can't think of a city with this much excitement even with the 3d rendering of XY.
    Himilau Bay/City, so pristine!
    Virbank was just amazing with as a truly grungy seaport, everything that Vermillion should have been.

Of my top 5 pokemon cities, Unova holds three of those spots (Castelia, Virbank, NImbasa)

Not to mention the fun overworld which felt less clustered and tedious than diamond pearl + the inclusion of seasons and shaking grass/water/sand tiles. The pacing of this game is just superior to the rest, call it linear, or what have you, but it is more accessible when a game doesn't make you waste time to travel back and forth between cities to backtrack as a part of the storyline. It's one gym after the other with perhaps a beautiful dessert, river, or forest along the way. This is one reason why I think the game felt more polished, and I still don't get the "it's linear" critique. It's linear, therefore simple, therefore worse...okay then, I guess it's better to have a map that is cluttered and forces doubling back several times?

Fun new battle formats of the World Pokemon Tournament and Battle Subway.
    Triple Battles were a fun, yet predictable addition.
    Mix Tournaments are my favorites of any format!
    Do I need to explain why having all of the notable trainers from previous generations come to the pwt?

Weaker points of Black and White are:
    - Boring Champion (underdeveloped)
    - Pokemon Musical and the Pokestar Studios were a flop.
    - Most disappointing/forgettable pokemon designs (Klink, Vanilite, Ferroseed, Alomamola, Heatmor, Durant, Tepig, Elgyem, Amoongus)
    Though the most memorable and loved pokemon as well.

Overall, 5th Generation was the most polished, accessible, and fun which is why it's my favorite generation and netted perfect scores from famitsu magazine.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I have to agree, this generation was a complete disappointment for myself. There were some atrocious Pokemon designs. Far more than I've seen in any generation. I often see this defended by people saying "BUT U LIEK MUK AND MAGNETON!!?1!" I see where these people are coming from, but at the same time I've never seen such bad designs until this generation and imo generation 6 did not commit the same terrible design crimes... so no it's not my nostalgia goggles, and many fans agree we saw some horrid things. This is my biggest issue with this gen. More so than anything else that irked me.

Another thing for me was the characters. Many of them were very unmemorable, to the point where I can't remember who all the gym leaders were. Which I feel like if you're a fan it's just something you kinda know. The champion was really bland too. Didn't even feel like a champion to me. The think the most annoying award goes to our rivals in this gen though.

When it comes to Team Plasma/the plot it's just all kinda mehhh. I thought they were clearly transparent which made it hard for me to believe that people would follow them unless they had the worst judgement abilities of all time. I realize these people do exist but still lol. N was just too much, too annoying. The plot never came off as that dark to me, idk where people are getting that. Yeah it was a little more intense than the usual plots we have been given, but it wasn't anything to really rave about.

I also feel like this generation lost the essence of going off into the game on your own. I felt like I was being stopped constantly to be bombarded with a lot of dialog that wasn't even interesting.

these are just my humble opinions

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2015
    Weren't Team Plasma supposed to be an allegory for PETA et al.? I.E. Extremist animal rights group with a history of doing actions that seriously contradict their supposed aims. Their hypocrisy is incredibly obvious, but this is still a game series aimed at children, so keeping things - excuse the pun - black and white is to be expected. If it had been more subtly written, it might have been a better story, but it might have led to a bunch of 8 year olds releasing all their Pokémon and feeling disheartened because they agree with Plasma.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Weren't Team Plasma supposed to be an allegory for PETA et al.? I.E. Extremist animal rights group with a history of doing actions that seriously contradict their supposed aims. Their hypocrisy is incredibly obvious, but this is still a game series aimed at children, so keeping things - excuse the pun - black and white is to be expected. If it had been more subtly written, it might have been a better story, but it might have led to a bunch of 8 year olds releasing all their Pokémon and feeling disheartened because they agree with Plasma.
    Actually it was confronting a bit of fridge horror in Pokemon games; is it really ethical for you to keep Pokemon in little plastic balls and battle them with other Pokemon? Is that really what's best for them, or should they be let in the wild? Humans have done some very terrible to things to Pokemon and vice versa, and that was the argument Team Plasma embodied. In the end it's determined people and Pokemon benefit each other more than they harm each other, and it's better they be kept together because their qualities of life are much higher together than they would be if they lived separately. Pokemon and humans are just too important to each other, and together they have to stay. The fact that it was all just a front so Ghetsis could take over Unova didn't hurt.

I don't think anybody embodied this struggle more than N. He had been raised with Pokemon that had been abused, and when you first run into him he believes it's just better the two live apart because he thinks humans abuse Pokemon. Him running into your character's starter confuses him, as it tells him it's happy to be with you, and slowly he learns that Pokemon and humans really can live together happily.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • I don't really have any generation I hate. I do have a favourite generation however, which is gen 4. I mean I actually loved Gen 5 and Unova. I actually believe that Unova is very beautiful. It's prettier than all other regions that have been introduced till now. And plus, they had some awesome pokemon.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Generation V introduced a fair amount of great features along with what I believe are some cool looking Pokemon. Black & White aren't my favourite games, but they did provide a great storyline which improved in Black 2/White 2. Unova is a nice Region which is fun to travel around, especially in Castelia City which has so many interesting areas and buildings to explore!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Can't say I agree with a number of these complaints. Boring Gym Leaders? I'd say far and away gen 5 did the best job with them, because nearly every single one you interacted with outside of their gym, often with the plot. Compare them to any other gen, sans maybe those in HGSS because they had Gym Leaders appear elsewhere postgame too (via the phone system and photographs - and even then, the only real plot-related ones were Jasmine). In BW, only the first gym leader(s) didn't get involved in the plot events in the main game, and in B2W2 the new ones also got involved. They're all distinct as well.

The story is also better delivered imo. Granted, BW's plot is not the best story, and there's a lot of ways it could have been improved. But it was a significant step up in being present from the beginning of the game and throughout, and involved a lot of other minor characters (gym leaders) in it as well. You may not like the premise itself, but it has more points imo than say XY, which compressed the story's action into a short segment and was rather ridiculous in its execution. B2W2's was a step backwards, but on the flip side rectified one of my complaints about BW which was side/postgame content (join avenue, the entralink minigames, white hollow/black tower, PWT, etc).

Pokemon designs are also subjective. I feel every gen has its hits and misses, and like a number of gen 5 pokes.

Gen 5 isn't my favourite gen, but I would say it's far from the worst.

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2015
    Actually it was confronting a bit of fridge horror in Pokemon games; is it really ethical for you to keep Pokemon in little plastic balls and battle them with other Pokemon? Is that really what's best for them, or should they be let in the wild? Humans have done some very terrible to things to Pokemon and vice versa, and that was the argument Team Plasma embodied. In the end it's determined people and Pokemon benefit each other more than they harm each other, and it's better they be kept together because their qualities of life are much higher together than they would be if they lived separately. Pokemon and humans are just too important to each other, and together they have to stay. The fact that it was all just a front so Ghetsis could take over Unova didn't hurt.

I don't think anybody embodied this struggle more than N. He had been raised with Pokemon that had been abused, and when you first run into him he believes it's just better the two live apart because he thinks humans abuse Pokemon. Him running into your character's starter confuses him, as it tells him it's happy to be with you, and slowly he learns that Pokemon and humans really can live together happily.
    Oh, I know what you mean - and yeah, that was the question they raised - but I was just talking about their behaviour with regards to their message (the ethics of pokemon is terrible, let us steal and kick pokemon instead!) - it seemed like a reference to groups like PETA who preach "animal rights, don't wear fur!" (etc. etc.) but have horrible track records of euthanising the animals they rescue. (Which is another discussion for another day.) The message is reasonable, but the behaviour exhibited isn't.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2015
    The only think bad about this generation was the graphics, and those weren't TERRIBLE. I just think that Gen IV had better graphics, and even that could've been the 3D. Also, the 3D angles were amazing, and some of the best pokemon yet came from Gen V.

Also, Braviary makes up for any 3D shortcomings ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2015
    I actually thought this was a great addition to the franchise. B&W seemed a bit short in terms of gameplay but they completely fixed that in B&W2. As for the Pokemon, there were some good and some bad, that happens in every generation. Don't hate on the ice cream cone and the trash bag if you won't also admit that the pile of sludge and the pile of eggs were also stupid. I'd like to see you come up with over 700 original creatures and have them all look totally amazing. But that's just my opinion.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • I will admit, the original Black and White kinda sucked. I have just recently played White 2 and was amazed by how much different and improved it was.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the story line in Black and White 2 is just as throat slitingly slow as Black and White lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • I have to disagree. I adore Generation 5. Probably the best storyline, the best characters and undoubtedly the best soundtrack in all the games, IMO.

Admittedly there were some weak points e.g. Pokestar studios, some of the worst designs of Pokémon (Garbordor and Stunfisk spring to mind). Oh, and Emolga. I HATE that thing with a passion.

The only thing Gen 5 lacked was having your Pokémon walk around with you, the best part of Gen 4 <3 ahhh...

I personally think the worst games are FireRed and LeafGreen.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    someone please explain all the hate for Pokestar Studios to me, I really don't get it

Reactions: Sun

LucarioFan3

Needs A New Username lol
    Years
  • someone please explain all the hate for Pokestar Studios to me, I really don't get it

I'm not certain myself, but maybe many just view it as boring? Studios wasn't exactly what I'd call exciting, but it wasn't terrible either IMO. Just... somewhat dull.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • > team plasma is greenpeace

OP needs to fact check methinks. And maybe get a life because having hatred for a virtual nonexistent entity is so infantile.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Come on, quit on hating Generation V and Unova. ~

The whole generation has a complete and well developed plot. Not to mention Gen V is actually challenging -- Elesa, Lenora, Clay, Skyla, Marshal, Caitlin are all tough! The generation also introduced us to a lot of unfamiliar strong Pokémon. I personally love the lack of old Pokémon, that makes the generation's newly introduced Pokémon shine.

Team Plasma? They are more than PETA (or if you prefer Green Peace Lol), you need to understand the plot completely! xD

Not to mention, the battle framerates are 60 fps which is great!~

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • People hate Unova for the same reasons they hate Windows 8, which is silly reasons.

The only "problem" of the region is the layout, since they decided to make all the cities around the Entralink, which, while "logical" (considering the significance of the Entralink), also made for a bland design. They tried to fix this in B2W2 both architectural and storywise since they send you to the other side after Mistralton which is "counter-intuitive" but they make it work in the story.

The Pokémon are powerful and useful, and don't look too bad. The gameplay is very pleasant and the later games have so much content.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • Generation 5...
    I know we had to transition to 3D somehow, but the graphics were ****ing horrible
    Ugliest ever, the POV was terrible, OW looked stupid, nature look fake
    The story was stupid Af, basically you fight a group of hypocrites who are basically green peace
    The generation had a remake, of itself, which is stupid.
    The new Pokemon, look stupid, were randomly OP and ugly coloured

Worst gen in my opinion

The graphics could not have been as bad as Pokemon FR LG. The colors are very dull and unpleasant to look at.

Back