• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Johto starters

Choose a starter!

• Chikorita

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • Totodile

Votes: 17 37.0%

• Total voters
Years
  • Johto starters
    Johto starters
    Johto starters

Which starter did you choose in G/S/C? Have you used them all in different files? Which is your favorite?

Years
  • Pretty certain I picked Chikorita at the time in gold, since a grass type seemed a better choice (for whatever reason) plus that was before I fell in love with Cyndaquil's line. Chikorita pretty much was my favorite at the time I originally chose. :') I think even when I had to restart my file because someone decided to save over it (asdfkh rage), I chose Chikorita again because I didn't want to pick a new one, I wanted to redo things as closely as possible to my previous save.

Although to be fair, I did try out Totodile a bit in silver...that one was not of my choosing, though. I'm not a big fan of the Totodile line for whatever reason, I don't know if I would choose it if I had the choice, honestly.

As for favorites, that would be Cyndaquil, mostly for its evos...I guess Chikorita itself would come in at a close second though.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2020
    My favorite is Cyndaquil simply because it's a fire type. Ya know (most) little kids always thought that blazing fire is the strongest and coolest looking choice. Fire represents massive power!. yeah i think i did pick a different starter on a different save but i forgot, simply just to have a new experience and play a new pokemon. all in all. I feel like Cyndaquil was the strongest starter in gsc. and the easiest to win the game with.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    all fire types are really easy to level up, and make the beginning is always easier because the beginning pokemon are always around grass/normal/insect pokemon. Throughout the game, more water and rock pokemon appear. it becomes harder to level up Fire.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Chikorita! Forever and always. <3

It was my first starter, and it grew to become my most favoritest evolution line of all time, with my favorite starter evo being Meganium. ^_^

Years
  • I like all 3 of them, but in my current playing of Silver I went with Totodile. When I play gold to get the version exclusives onto my Silver I will be going with Chikorita.

Years
  • I used the cloning glitch :). But my favorite is Totodile, It is the best in the game, and I'm going to do a one pokémon challenge with just Feraligatr. It's nice to see some people like Chikorita though, most people just say Cyndaquil, yet I would say it was the weakest of the Gen II starters.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I did an in-game cheat and got all three. 8) But Cyndaquil is my favorite and I almost always pick him for my team. Totodile is a close second though. He's pretty fun to use.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I did an in-game cheat and got all three. 8) But Cyndaquil is my favorite and I almost always pick him for my team. Totodile is a close second though. He's pretty fun to use.

Originally on my first play through I chose Totodile because crocodiles are pretty much...badass. But after that I did the same trick and got all three. I definitely preferred Feraligtr in the end though, out of all three because well crocodiles are pretty much...badass.

Years
  • Chikorita. From the moment I saw this cute thing at the top of the new Pokémon list for gen 2, I fell in love with it. So, it was obviously my first choice and managed to stay one of my favorite Pokémon till this day.
    But the Johto starters in general are my favorites of all generations, so the other two follow closely behind and I've used them all more than once.

AquaMarine8

One less, one less problem~
    Years
  • I LOVE the Johto starters. They really had some great designs. The first one I ever picked in my Crystal version was Cyndaquil. Cyndaquil used to be my favorite, but now it's Totodile. Can't play through Johto without him. ^^

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    Back then I picked Totodile for my first playthrough. Nowadays I pick Chikorita because of Bayleef.

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    i genuinely don't see the appeal for totodile. his evolutions just don't look amazing.. in fact, they look uglier and uglier.

can someone tell me the appeal to ease my curiosity.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I picked Totodile in Silver Version first.
    Then I got Gold Version, and picked Cyndaquil.
    Then when Crystal came out, I picked Chikorita.

I've used Chikorita almost exclusively in every GSC and HGSS playthrough since then. Like honestly Chikorita is easily in my top three favorite starters of all time, and is pretty high up on my all-time favorites list, too.

Years
  • I picked Chikorita simply because I chose it by accident, lol. I was kinda beaten up by those flying, bug, and fire types in the beginning, though, but from mid till the rest of the game, as Chikorita has evolved into Bayleef and then Meganium, it started to get the advantages of being a grass-type Pokémon. And its ability to restore/absorb HP was so useful throughout the game. Yeay Chikorita!

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    Pokemon Silver was the one I played first. I chose Totodile, when I replayed the game, Chikorita was my choice. Same goes to Pokemon Gold, Chikorota was my starter there as well.

Back