• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Johto starters

Choose a starter!

• Chikorita

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • Totodile

Votes: 17 37.0%

• Total voters
    Years
    I first chose chikorita, but I'm playing crystal right now and chose totodile. My least favorite pokemon is typholsion, so well, I don't ever choose cyndaquil. Gotta say, chikorita is my favorite!

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I picked Chikorita in my Gold run because of how cute it was and it's my favorite Johto starter. I might want to give the other two a try if I want to replay Gen 2 again.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2016
    Cyndaquil.

Always the fire one. Sometimes I try and get a water one from trading asap. But never the grass one. Never had much use for grass pokes.

FSBS

Defunct
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2019
    Almost always Cyndaquil. I'm a classic diversity team trainer: a fire, a water, a grass, a psychic, a rock/ground, and a wild card that's usually a legendary or dragon.
    On Complex Crystal I chose Chikorita though, more to create an intensive challenge. Right now I'm playing through a completed Crystal ROM and went for my classic route of Cyndaquil, ROCKY the Onix trade, and Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam. Not committing to a water type until I get Suicune or Squirtle.
    In Red/FR though, I always choose Charmander, never exceptions.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I went for Totodile in Gold and Crystal and Cyndaquil in Silver. Totodile is probably my favorite, as I really like water type starters, but Cyndaquil is one of my favorite fire starters (it and Charmander, though I never start with Charmander because I love Blastoise too much). I've never cared for Chikorita as much, I suppose because I'm not the biggest fan of grass types, so I think the only time I've started with it was in a grass monotype run.

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2016
    I always chose Chickorita just because I liked Bayleef for no reason, but I think Cyndaquil and his evolutions are the best out of the three starters.

Pokelovar

*Rushes to catch legendaries*
    Years
    Gotta be Cyndaquil for me, mainly because I prefer Fire over Water and Grass (it's my favorite type), it has a decent moveset and cool evolutions. I liked all the starters, but if asked to pick one, I'd go with Cyndaquil.

Ashes to Ashes

Serenade of Cerne
    Years
    I picked Chikorita since I always choose the Grass starter the first time in a game. I like Feraligatr and Typhlosion a lot more than Meganium but Meganium is fine. Very happy to have Bayleef anyway.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    It's a tie between Totodile and Cyndaquil. Cyndaquil can come in handy with Thunder Punch and Flamethrower and the Fire Mouse Pokémon is the fastest Johto starter! While Totodile's high Attack stat isn't bad, as its final evolution form can learn Earthquake.

Splitzblue

Pokemon Maniac & Fan Of The N.Y.C
    Years
    Chikorita was my favorite Gen 2 starter. Even tho it had many disadvantages, It's signature move Razor Leaf, kept my Gen 2 team strong.

`Rse

新月
    Years
    Usually came between a choice of Cyndaquil or Totodile. I really liked Typhlosion's sprite so I usually went for Cyndaquil though the water type starters usually swept through the game pretty cleanly. Not a Chikorita fan :(.

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
    I do not have a favourite out of the Johto starters because they all had something that both made them strong and weak, and I used to have all 3 of them in Gold/Silver because of the existence of a glitch to obtain all of them.

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
    Usually came between a choice of Cyndaquil or Totodile. I really liked Typhlosion's sprite so I usually went for Cyndaquil though the water type starters usually swept through the game pretty cleanly. Not a Chikorita fan :(.

Chikorita only got a little usable when it started to become a higher level. You really had to have a quite diverse team straight from the start, or you wouldn't make it past most of the gyms. Flying-type? No! Bug-types? No! Whitney-type? No! Ghost/Poison? No! Only when you had a good competitive team Chikorita was good to use.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
    Favorite out of them has always been Cyndaquil, with Chikorita coming in as a second. Only ever chose them between HG and SS.
    Once I get around to playing the original 2nt gen trio, I'll have to chose all 3 :P Never been a Totodile fan though.

RetroBacon

~ <3
    Years
    Chikorita was probably my favorite starter. The lack of Chikorita love is overwhelming. The gyms do become a bit of a challenge, but it does help not to become so reliant on your starter Pokemon.
    A little off topic by the way, but I like the fact that the starters all evolve at different levels.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    I picked Chikorita in my very first gold playthrough. After that I almost go with Cyndaquil though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2015
    First time i played i picked cyndaquil.however,i hated him. I was a noob so my cyndaquil was lvl 57 while my other team members were lvl 15-25.

Then i got a game called pokemon christmas, it was really cool and i got chikorita. He was so weak and hopeless it went into my PC as quick it can possibly go.

Then i played gold for my 3rd time, i chose Totodile. He was really tough and owned my enemies . i won the game. With my team of heracross, arcanine, totodile, gyarados, graveler and hitmonchan. Gg

Years
    I picked Cyndaquil most of the time due to the rarity of fire types in the Gen II games, as well as Typhlosion being considered my favorite fully-evolved starter out of the Johto trio. Totodile was better utility-wise as it could learn Surf (a move useful in battle as well), but it becomes pointless as I keep a Tentacool as an HM slave anyway :P

Chikorita is avoided; I have used it in one playthrough, but found that you need a radically different approach to taking on the Gym Leaders than if you were using Cyndaquil or Totodile.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    I almost always pick Cyndaquil. Good alternative fire types are harder to come across, Totodile is easily replaced by Lapras and grass is a bit of a niche if you ask me. (I played Fire, Water/Ice, Psychic, Electric, Flying, Ground so never felt a need for grass.)

Back