• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Mewtwo's coming, everyone evacuate!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Do you think the FRLG story would have been more interesting if Mewtwo had played a bigger role in the story? What would you have liked for this role to be? I personally would have liked for him to be something of an ultra-bad guy trying to destroy the towns and take over all of the Pokémon in the world like in the 1st movie - staying in a cave the whole time is so boring :(

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Eh, I'm sorta happy Mewtwo doesn't have that kind of storyline. The "legendary Pokemon awakens and goes berserk" thing has been done way too many times already, and he's a legend even among legendary Pokemon, so his seclusion sorta adds to him even more.

It would be neat though if Mewtwo got his own area (other than the Unknown Dungeon) and even led a bunch of Pokemon around, like he did in the first movie. Mewtwo had his own little kingdom there, and if that was ever introduced into the game it would be awesome because to date he's the only Pokemon, legendary or otherwise, to do such a thing. He even posed as a Pokemon trainer! How cool is that?

Years
  • Would be pretty interesting, surprising and challenging when you suddenly meet Mewtwo on his rampage in bigger city - Saffron for instance, with a mid-leveled Pokemon in your party.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm just wondering why Mewtwo's just chillin' in a cave. It's one of the most powerful Pokemon in existence and has human level or even greater than human intelligence and it just.....sits in a cave all day, erry day? You think it'd do something.

Though I suppose that Mewtwo was just meant to be a reward for defeating the Pokemon League and little more than that and that's probably part of the reason why, but still.....

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    Do you think the FRLG story would have been more interesting if Mewtwo had played a bigger role in the story?

I found the role it plays in the story as it exists is enough for the game(s). The Pokémon Mansion journals help the introduction and build up to the mystery of the existence of a powerful new Pokémon that its creator couldn't contain. It's more fitting that he went hide in a place away from people than have revenge.

If I were to change the game in any way, it would be to replace Deoxys with Mew.

Sirfetch’d

I would have loved to seen both Mew and Mewtwo integrated into the storyline somehow. Aside from them we only had the birds as legendaries in Kanto. There were no box legends. It only makes sense to include them. Sadly thought it never happened :(

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    It should. I mean, FR and LG are remakes of Red and...well green/blue, but anyways, the only thing they updated were the graphics. I think they should have made mewtwo more important somehow, those two
    verisons don't have a main legendary or something.

Maybe there were will be another remakes in the future snd we'll see Mewtwo doing more than just hanging
    in a cave, like it did in X/Y also....

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Yeah, I agree with OP. From the first movie, Mewtwo seemed like a bad guy; I wish that we would have seen more of a presence from him in the game than just a legendary we could catch later on. I also wish we could have seen a bigger presence of Giovanni like going after Mewtwo or Mewtwo being the ultimate boss of Team Rocket. Like the last time we faced Team Rocket it would be after the Elite four, we would have to beat Giovanni then defeat or capture Mewtwo.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I think Mewtwo's cave isolation was fitting despite being simple and seemingly lackluster; it works nicely with the anime - Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen (and their originators, Pokemon Red and Green) set up the mystery of Mewtwo via the Cinnabar Pokemon Mansion journals, and the Pokemon anime (namely, Pokemon The First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back, the Birth of Mewtwo special, and the Mewtwo Returns special) helps to elaborate/embellish the mystery (and provide people with the "Mewtwo story" that would otherwise seem out of place in the game itself). As for Mewtwo's activities, maybe it just doesn't want to be bothered and just sleeps all day..or fantasizes about movie!Nurse Joy, or something. XD

Eh, I'm sorta happy Mewtwo doesn't have that kind of storyline. The "legendary Pokemon awakens and goes berserk" thing has been done way too many times already, and he's a legend even among legendary Pokemon, so his seclusion sorta adds to him even more.

This.

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2016
    Speaking as a guy who played the original Red/Blue when they first came out, Mewtwo was so cool and memorable because his face wasn't plastered on the front of the box. There was plenty of build up to him without the games ever actually showing you what Mewtwo was. The very first time you ever go to Cerulean City you're able to see the dude standing in front of the cave. That right there is something exciting you can't quite get to. Once you get surf and go talk to that guy, he won't let you in because it's dangerous in there. This builds the mystery of what lurks in Cerulean Cave even more. Eventually you get to read about Mewtwo from journals that let your imagination do its thing. This is assuming you even bothered to read the journals though, as it was totally optional, and I can assure you most kids at the time the originals came out never bothered to do it. Again, the game never really tells you about Mewtwo unless you go seeking the answers. Once you're finally able to explore Cerulean Cave, just the tension of going deeper and deeper into an area of really strong Pokemon is enough build up to what's at the end of it. Eventually isolated in the far corner of the cave is a Pokemon. The excitement is at its limit here, and once you enter that battle and see a wild Pokemon at level 70 you're like "OH SHOOT!!!" and proceed to get your butt kicked.

What made Mewtwo memorable and cool will probably never be able to be replicated in the series ever again because of the way modern media is talked about so much prior to the game's release. It was similar to when Gold and Silver came out, and nobody knew that you could go explore Kanto after the game was over. The surprise is what made these things memorable. Having Mewtwo be a bigger part of the game in any way would ruin most of what made him so awesome in the first place.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm with Achromatic, the story was already really bland so to have Mewtwo lack any significant backstory is nothing but a huge disappointment. It's just there to get caught and nothing else.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Mewtwo definitely needs an in-game story behind it, but I don't want it taking over the spotlight a la Gen III cover-Legends. Despite the fandom and the officials treat and regard Mewtwo as a Legendary, I personally don't see Mewtwo as a (genuine) Legendary Pokémon, because it's a manmade Pokémon. :(

Years
  • Speaking as a guy who played the original Red/Blue when they first came out, Mewtwo was so cool and memorable because his face wasn't plastered on the front of the box. There was plenty of build up to him without the games ever actually showing you what Mewtwo was. The very first time you ever go to Cerulean City you're able to see the dude standing in front of the cave. That right there is something exciting you can't quite get to. Once you get surf and go talk to that guy, he won't let you in because it's dangerous in there. This builds the mystery of what lurks in Cerulean Cave even more. Eventually you get to read about Mewtwo from journals that let your imagination do its thing. This is assuming you even bothered to read the journals though, as it was totally optional, and I can assure you most kids at the time the originals came out never bothered to do it. Again, the game never really tells you about Mewtwo unless you go seeking the answers. Once you're finally able to explore Cerulean Cave, just the tension of going deeper and deeper into an area of really strong Pokemon is enough build up to what's at the end of it. Eventually isolated in the far corner of the cave is a Pokemon. The excitement is at its limit here, and once you enter that battle and see a wild Pokemon at level 70 you're like "OH SHOOT!!!" and proceed to get your butt kicked.

What made Mewtwo memorable and cool will probably never be able to be replicated in the series ever again because of the way modern media is talked about so much prior to the game's release. It was similar to when Gold and Silver came out, and nobody knew that you could go explore Kanto after the game was over. The surprise is what made these things memorable. Having Mewtwo be a bigger part of the game in any way would ruin most of what made him so awesome in the first place.

That was literally like reading my childhood because I definitely thought "this is gonna be bad" when I finally ran into Mewtwo. I remember my buddy telling me about it in class. He busted up into the room right before I packed up, "THERE IS A HIDDEN POKEMON!" and all lunch we talked about where we thought it was and what we thought it was. So I agree, it was the mystery that did it for me. Back then no one knew. You had to play the game and find out on your own. There was no forums to post on you went to Pokemon Clubs with other people and used your link cable to trade. The internet wasn't as established and accessible as it is now. You had to wait until a guide was released or hopes Nintendo Power gave you something special in the mail. Not saying it was better back then but with how Red and Blue/Green were it helped create all that we have now. Now we have things I can't even imagine (since I retired pokemon when Crystal was released) and its incredible. You couldn't get by with saying there is a hidden pokemon anymore because people will hunt it down and find it within hours and it'll be all over the internet.

I'm working on FR/LG with my daughter showing her everything I know about the original Pokemon and she's loving it but I don't know if she'll feel what I felt when I beat my first gym leader or when I walked into that cave for the first time anxious thrilled and nervous all at once...

Wasted ALL my pokeballs on that guy...then all I had left was the master ball. Man...the nostalgia. I love it. Mewtwo will always in my eyes be one of the most mysterious pokemon ever. A bit of a recluse but very mysterious.

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    Nope, in fact, it wouldn't have been remakes anymore. Also, looking at how catastrophic Game Freak actually is, the gameplay would have turned somewhat unbearable.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • I personally wanted to see more Mewtwo interaction with Team Rocket. More explination on the fact it was cloned from Mew, ect.
    I never had a Kanto game untill Firered (years after it came out) so I guess the anime made me expect this haha :P

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2015
    i think it was good not centring a plot around a legendary as we just got Ruby and Sapphire which was only based around groudon and kyorge, plus mewtwo being hidden away in a post game location and his origins being hinted to around the region gave a real sense of mystery which gave mewtwo a status of a unique and interesting legendary

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I personally prefer to stay it that way like the original. If I were to change one thing that would probably be Team Rocket battles in Cerulean Cave.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2016
    Just for kicks I posted a youtube video for Leafgreen of Mew vs Mewtwo. I think I have too much free time on my hands to make my own pokemon battle scene similar to Pokemon Movie 1

Years
  • Mewtwo had his own little kingdom there, and if that was ever introduced into the game it would be awesome because to date he's the only Pokemon, legendary or otherwise, to do such a thing. He even posed as a Pokemon trainer! How cool is that?
    I mean, he was a Pokémon trainer, that is a functional category relating to his role in a battle. Hence, he does battle other trainers, and defeats their Pokémon. As he said, "The world's greatest Pokémon master is also the most powerful Pokémon on Earth," which ultimately makes sense anyway, because mostly trainers just rely on their Pokémon and pander to them while taking credit for their actions. As a result, most of them are reducible to actions or traits which are interchangeable. He is the apotheosis of this order, but critical of it, and his interests and desires despised to illogical lengths. The rest of the anime is carried out in the shadow of pretending that their battles are important while knowing that Mewtwo was actually better than any of them. And they don't do much else. You figure it might be best not to do the same to the games, or lift that coterie out of context.

In any case the humour of lines such as, "Like most Pokémon trainers, l too began with Charmander, Squirtle and Bulbasaur," especially when used against a bunch of people including Ash Ketchum, might be a bit subtle and seem out-of-place in the current games, if they're similar to the last few ones.

or fantasizes about movie!Nurse Joy, or something. XD
    Eh, there are plenty of girls, if that were the question, any particular reason why you would select that one? In any case, you presume that a powerful Psychic could do a fair bit, but anyway, maybe that's why it's a Psychic Pokémon. I'm pretty sure that their actual relation to such was fairly staid, but maybe you mean that you ended the game on encountering Brock...? He was at least slightly ironic about it, with a Geodude and Onix sent out as Pokémon.

Otherwise you might have the wrong culprit in mind.

Just for kicks I posted a youtube video for Leafgreen of Mew vs Mewtwo. I think I have too much free time on my hands to make my own pokemon battle scene similar to Pokemon Movie 1
    Did you find a guy named 'Ash' or such and turn them to stone?

The excitement is at its limit here, and once you enter that battle and see a wild Pokemon at level 70 you're like "OH SHOOT!!!" and proceed to get your butt kicked.
    I'm not sure if players, having beaten the E4, were supposed to be surprised by one wild Pokemon, after they already have the Master Ball and might not have gotten rid of it, being levelled a few 10-15 levels above the E4's trainers. If that was by then a difficulty, they could have just used it. They don't have a reputation for that, in-game, where that needn't be the point - unless they're being used.

Mewtwo definitely needs an in-game story behind it, but I don't want it taking over the spotlight a la Gen III cover-Legends. Despite the fandom and the officials treat and regard Mewtwo as a Legendary, I personally don't see Mewtwo as a (genuine) Legendary Pokémon, because it's a manmade Pokémon.
    Well, an unintentional man-made Pokémon, made from another 'legendary,' who is then generally held to in some way have dissociated itself from this quite strongly, but that doesn't seem relevant to the qualification. Are you presuming a bit much about the term 'legendary,' here, which generally responds to what a Pokémon is (otherwise nobody cares) rather than to incidental questions which don't determine its being? It's not like all other legendaries were formed in the cavern of legendaries, either.

There's generally an element of human classification in the term 'legendary,' though, which is why Gastly for instance need not have been considered such, so in that sense Mewtwo has a better claim to the term than most. Is it that out of consideration that humans could create, if indirectly, a Pokémon of significance to the Pokémon universe? In that case, their relation to such would ultimately be decisive, not their relation to humans. Its status as a Psychic type should be enough to show that its human relations are part of what make it special, that is different from an 'ordinary' Pokémon, and should not be allowed to be to its detriment.

Other than that, though, Mewtwo generally seems to function better without being involved in some in-game drama, as this is part of its mystery and sense of detachment. It hence becomes a purpose for the game, rather than merely an object for it. It has a general relevance to the world before this, while later legendaries are increasingly props playing a part in this, and hence become accessible, possibly multiple times.

Back