• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Resetting?

So I was attempting to edit FireRed with A-map. I put in a few scripts, and tried to test run it. All was going well, until the game suddenly reset. I tried to run it again, and the game reset once more, in the exact same spot. I remapped the area to go around that spot, and then, when I tested it, it reset on the same horizontal line. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
So I was attempting to edit FireRed with A-map. I put in a few scripts, and tried to test run it. All was going well, until the game suddenly reset. I tried to run it again, and the game reset once more, in the exact same spot. I remapped the area to go around that spot, and then, when I tested it, it reset on the same horizontal line. Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?

In the map the game resets once you enter, check if there are any person events that are "Hidden"(first "Hidden" in the movement type list, if you use another "Hidden" type it won't reset). This is what causes the game to reset.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
I searched but did not find so...
How do you make the ROM bigger?
Can you delete all the scripts in the game?

And a completely random one...
What happens if you turn everything in a ROM (using Hex Editing) into empty space (FFFF)

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
Years

What happens if you turn everything in a ROM (using Hex Editing) into empty space (FFFF)

I cant answer most of that, but if you made everything into empty space the rom wouldnt exist
there wouldnt be any data in it - data for everything is included in the rom when it's open in a hex editor
so there wouldnt just be no map headers, there would be no maps, and there would be no sprites to go in the maps
and when you tried opening it in vba you'd just get a cannot be opened error or a fatal error :)

Not that I've done that, it's just kinda obvious :P

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
well then where do i put the speed text? and whenever i use lunar ips, because my rom died....:(,(to recover it), it always says: Youre modified file has changes at or beyond the 16 MB mark. The Ips format is unable to address those offsets. The generated patch file will only contain changes below that point. plz help.
Eek, sounds pretty bad. To fix your original problem all you needed to do was to search for the offset of the text in A-text in a clean rom, then go to that offset copy a reasonable amount of hex (say 10 lines just to be safe) and then go to the offset in your hacked rom and replace the amount of lines you copied. I think what you must have done for Lunar IPS to say that is that you inserted bytes instead of replacing them.

I don't know if you can fix it and I don't think you should waste any more time trying too either. Just start again. Copy over the maps and scripts and you'll be up to where you were in no time.

The GBA rom files have pointers that are represented by 3 bytes that is why the rom files finish at approximately FFFFFF (FF is the largest byte in hex) so when it is increased, the pointers are now insufficient to point to all the data in the rom. I haven't actually researched this in-depth and what I've told is mostly common sense. I'm sure it is possible somehow, I remember reading that VBA is able to play roms of any size so the emulation will not be a problem. I also remember that Crystal Shards was going to have a rom expansion. Try searching for it on google. That probably should have been the first thing you did.

Yes you can delete all the scripts but if its quite dangerous as you risk deleting stuff that are needed for the game engine.

Nothing, you will not be able to do anything with it. It will be an empty file.

Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2009
How do i edit the growth rates of a pokemon in a rom cuz it kinda becomes a hassle to raise all of these pokemon that take up all the experience and training in the wild takes forever as well so i wanted to change the growth rates of gyarados aerodactyl snorlax and pikachu cuz they are the worst to raise but kinda become a payoff so if anyones got an idea or a certainty...

Years
  • Seen Dec 5, 2012
Has anyone had the problem where the effects of various attacks become messed up? For example, when you use Dig in battle, each turn it says "[POKEMON] dug a hole!" without it actually resurfacing to attack. Also, attacks like Stun Spore and Sleep Powder don't cause any status conditions, while the effects of other attacks are also not what they're supposed to be. I can't change it with A-Tack or AEP; if anyone knows how I could reset the attack data through Hex or something else, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I commonly encounter a problem where if you open the Pokemon menu in close proximity to an NPC and return, you are in control of that NPC's sprite instead of your own.

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
Years
Has anyone had the problem where the effects of various attacks become messed up? For example, when you use Dig in battle, each turn it says "[POKEMON] dug a hole!" without it actually resurfacing to attack. Also, attacks like Stun Spore and Sleep Powder don't cause any status conditions, while the effects of other attacks are also not what they're supposed to be. I can't change it with A-Tack or AEP; if anyone knows how I could reset the attack data through Hex or something else, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I commonly encounter a problem where if you open the Pokemon menu in close proximity to an NPC and return, you are in control of that NPC's sprite instead of your own.
Well for the first question, I have no idea. 0_0
Then for the second one, that means that the sprite is set to "look down", to fix it, change it to No movement, since it is the same thing. ;)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 28, 2021
Does anybody know where I could find D/P Pokemon cries? If not, what should I use to rip them?

Also, does anyone have the D/P Music files? The link in ROM Hacking Resources doesn't open for me. :\

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
How do i edit the growth rates of a pokemon in a rom cuz it kinda becomes a hassle to raise all of these pokemon that take up all the experience and training in the wild takes forever as well so i wanted to change the growth rates of gyarados aerodactyl snorlax and pikachu cuz they are the worst to raise but kinda become a payoff so if anyones got an idea or a certainty...
Use a program called YAPE, it has that feature.

Years

You won't be able to 'reset' it with hex, but you could overwrite it with what it should be.
Here's the easiest way I can think of to fix up the attacks. Download a hex editor that supports a copy and paste function. If you can't find one, look for either Hexeccute or Hex Workshop.
Now in an unhacked fire red rom, go to 0x250C04, and highlight everything from 0x250C04 - 0x251CA8, and copy it.
Now open up your hacked rom, and go to 0x250C04, and paste all the data and save. That should hopefully fix it.
If that doesn't work, you wouldn't be able to fix it so easily.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
er, you can change the set of tiles in A-Map's Header View... :\
there, you can see 'Tileset 1' and Tileset 2'...

Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2009

when i try openning it i get an error message about 0xc0000135 wut does that mean?

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016

when i try openning it i get an error message about 0xc0000135 wut does that mean?
Is this when you open the rom or the program? If its the program you need to download the .NET framework I think take a look at his thread it should say what you need. If its when you open the rom then there is a problem with your rom.

Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2009
I heard you get national dex in R/S when trading between FR/LG, but there is another way, with scripts maybe?

Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2009
Is this when you open the rom or the program? If its the program you need to download the .NET framework I think take a look at his thread it should say what you need. If its when you open the rom then there is a problem with your rom.

would the .NET framework happen to be like windows service pack 3 maybe?
\
and yea its when i try to open the program

Hat?

Banned
Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2008
Just go to the Microsoft website and you can download it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back