• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon XY's rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Um, the Anime is even doing poorly online in terms of ratings

Yeah. It should say something when even the Simpsons' 26th Season, which is basically in the pits right now, is doing far better than XY is doing, especially regarding TV ratings sinking in favor of online viewing.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I find it a double standard that people demand Ash to be replaced, yet they praised the return of the original human cast for the upcoming Digimon anime after mixed results for each new human casts.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I find it a double standard that people demand Ash to be replaced, yet they praised the return of the original human cast for the upcoming Digimon anime after mixed results for each new human casts.

Maybe, and I don't pretend to know Digimon well especially when as a kid I disliked it for being a "rip off", but on the other hand, at this point, replacing Ash may be the only option now, especially after how they bungled him in BW, with not even XY being enough to help him (and at this point, considering what happened in DP where despite clearly setting up for Ash to at the very least challenge the Elite 4 after winning the Sinnoh League, they had him lose at Top 4, far better than Johto and especially Hoenn, but nonetheless, there's little hope he'll ever become a Pokémon Master).

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Maybe, and I don't pretend to know Digimon well especially when as a kid I disliked it for being a "rip off", but on the other hand, at this point, replacing Ash may be the only option now, especially after how they bungled him in BW, with not even XY being enough to help him (and at this point, considering what happened in DP where despite clearly setting up for Ash to at the very least challenge the Elite 4 after winning the Sinnoh League, they had him lose at Top 4, far better than Johto and especially Hoenn, but nonetheless, there's little hope he'll ever become a Pokémon Master).

Ash was never going to win the Sinnoh League and that is the way the writers had it plan, he did made it to top 4 and that's the only good thing the Sinnoh League gave him, but i wouldn't say that it was much better then Johto because it wasn't.

Even if they do replace Ash right now it's not going to make much differents. Besides the fact he will never become a Pokemon Master.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Ash was never going to win the Sinnoh League and that is the way the writers had it plan, he did made it to top 4 and that's the only good thing the Sinnoh League gave him, but i wouldn't say that it was much better then Johto because it wasn't.

Even if they do replace Ash right now it's not going to make much differents. Besides the fact he will never become a Pokemon Master.

Actually, it most likely wasn't the writer's plan. If it was, they probably would have unveiled Ash being in BW far sooner than they did (there wasn't even a hint that Ash would continue onto BW until, what, after his loss to Tobia when his concept art was unveiled? Even when DP was just coming around the corner, Ash was shown on promotional artwork for the series well before Brandon came about). And they most certainly would not have had not only the Elite 4 appearing in the same region alongside Cynthia, but also actually talk about beating the Elite 4 in such a way that strongly implied that Ash would in fact challenge them, something we never got with even Kanto's Elite 4 (the only Elite 4 group to actually APPEAR in full besides the Sinnoh Elite 4), never mind Johto's Elite 4 and Hoenn's Elite 4.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Actually, it most likely wasn't the writer's plan. If it was, they probably would have unveiled Ash being in BW far sooner than they did (there wasn't even a hint that Ash would continue onto BW until, what, after his loss to Tobia when his concept art was unveiled? Even when DP was just coming around the corner, Ash was shown on promotional artwork for the series well before Brandon came about). And they most certainly would not have had not only the Elite 4 appearing in the same region alongside Cynthia, but also actually talk about beating the Elite 4 in such a way that strongly implied that Ash would in fact challenge them, something we never got with even Kanto's Elite 4 (the only Elite 4 group to actually APPEAR in full besides the Sinnoh Elite 4), never mind Johto's Elite 4 and Hoenn's Elite 4.

To be honest we don't really know for sure weather the writer's wanted him to win the Sinnoh League are not, since there really is no way to tell for sure.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    To be honest we don't really know for sure weather the writer's wanted him to win the Sinnoh League are not, since there really is no way to tell for sure.

Aside from the fact that DP was pretty much the first time it was even hinted, much less stated that to become a Pokémon Master, one must enter the Champions League and beat the Elite 4 and Regional Champion in one of the episodes where one of the Elite 4 members encounters Ash (I think Lucien) and especially "Memories are Made of Bliss!" (prior to DP, the only thing made very clear is Ash needs to challenge Gyms to become a Pokémon Master, as it wasn't even clear if beating a Pokémon League or something similar like the Battle Frontier would qualify him as such due to his continuing his journey after winning the Orange Islands League and defeating the Battle Frontier Brains), and the fact that the writers made a lot of effort to make sure that all of the Sinnoh Elite 4 appeared in the same region/series, something not even the Kanto Elite 4 managed to pull off (and before Sinnoh, that was the only regional Elite 4 to have all of its members actually appear, albeit in different regions and in the case of Agatha a different series), nor has this ever happened since? Ever hear of the term "Chekhov's gun?"

EDIT: Also, during the lead up, Ash wasn't shown in any previews for Best Wishes, nor was he even shown in a preview poster. He didn't even appear until I think after Tobias beat him. It was noticeable enough that Pokémon Sunday even noted his absence. Keep in mind, even in DP, which focused on Dawn a bit before officially unveiling Ash among the team, they still unveiled him on a preview poster for the saga before he beat Brandon, or even met him in fact. That would strongly suggest they planned for him to be removed.

In any case for the topic at hand, the ratings bear bad news for Pokémon, even the online ratings (and BTW, NCIS managed to get far higher ratings than this despite streaming services and online viewing, so that can't be it at all).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Aside from the fact that DP was pretty much the first time it was even hinted, much less stated that to become a Pokémon Master, one must enter the Champions League and beat the Elite 4 and Regional Champion in one of the episodes where one of the Elite 4 members encounters Ash (I think Lucien) and especially "Memories are Made of Bliss!" (prior to DP, the only thing made very clear is Ash needs to challenge Gyms to become a Pokémon Master, as it wasn't even clear if beating a Pokémon League or something similar like the Battle Frontier would qualify him as such due to his continuing his journey after winning the Orange Islands League and defeating the Battle Frontier Brains), and the fact that the writers made a lot of effort to make sure that all of the Sinnoh Elite 4 appeared in the same region/series, something not even the Kanto Elite 4 managed to pull off (and before Sinnoh, that was the only regional Elite 4 to have all of its members actually appear, albeit in different regions and in the case of Agatha a different series), nor has this ever happened since? Ever hear of the term "Chekhov's gun?"

EDIT: Also, during the lead up, Ash wasn't shown in any previews for Best Wishes, nor was he even shown in a preview poster. He didn't even appear until I think after Tobias beat him. It was noticeable enough that Pokémon Sunday even noted his absence. Keep in mind, even in DP, which focused on Dawn a bit before officially unveiling Ash among the team, they still unveiled him on a preview poster for the saga before he beat Brandon, or even met him in fact. That would strongly suggest they planned for him to be removed.

In any case for the topic at hand, the ratings bear bad news for Pokémon, even the online ratings (and BTW, NCIS managed to get far higher ratings than this despite streaming services and online viewing, so that can't be it at all).

They might have planned to removed Ash before DP got started but decided to keep him on the show a little bit longer.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    They might have planned to removed Ash before DP got started but decided to keep him on the show a little bit longer.

Well, if they decided to keep him on, it was clearly at the last minute, considering they kept him out of all the previews for BW, and there wasn't even a hint that he'll be in BW until one of the magazines revealed his concept artwork, which was definitely after Tobias.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • They might have planned to removed Ash before DP got started but decided to keep him on the show a little bit longer.

Well, if they decided to keep him on, it was clearly at the last minute, considering they kept him out of all the previews for BW, and there wasn't even a hint that he'll be in BW until one of the magazines revealed his concept artwork, which was definitely after Tobias.

Remember, this thread is about XY's ratings :P

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • Tbh, the new X and Y episodes are quite enjoyable. In my opinion, they're way better than the Best wishes season. It's not that I didn't like the Best wishes seasons, but they were the worst seasons out of the lot.

The new episodes are pretty cool, and in my opinion they're one of the better seasons. I don't know why there's so much hate on them, maybe people became too old for them.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Tbh, the new X and Y episodes are quite enjoyable. In my opinion, they're way better than the Best wishes season. It's not that I didn't like the Best wishes seasons, but they were the worst seasons out of the lot.

The new episodes are pretty cool, and in my opinion they're one of the better seasons. I don't know why there's so much hate on them, maybe people became too old for them.

Hey, no one is denying that the XY series, at least so far, is much better than BW (especially when BW was a horrible series overall, worse than even AG). However, whether it's better than BW or not still doesn't change the fact that it's receiving very poor ratings, whether via cable or even online.

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    Hey, no one is denying that the XY series, at least so far, is much better than BW (especially when BW was a horrible series overall, worse than even AG). However, whether it's better than BW or not still doesn't change the fact that it's receiving very poor ratings, whether via cable or even online.

So you've been watching the XY series then?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    So you've been watching the XY series then?

No, but I have looked into them via Bulbapedia and TVTropes, and I know the latter mentioned that Ash in XY was rescued from the scrappy heap after what happened to him in BW.

And besides, I don't have cable (not anymore at least), meaning I can't watch Cartoon Network, and I have no plans trying to watch any episodes anyways either online or on TV even if I didn't give up on cable due to my boycott, which will only end when either a certain character returns or when the anime itself ends permanently.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    No, but I have looked into them via Bulbapedia and TVTropes, and I know the latter mentioned that Ash in XY was rescued from the scrappy heap after what happened to him in BW.

And besides, I don't have cable (not anymore at least), meaning I can't watch Cartoon Network, and I have no plans trying to watch any episodes anyways either online or on TV even if I didn't give up on cable due to my boycott, which will only end when either a certain character returns or when the anime itself ends permanently.

Tbh, the new X and Y episodes are quite enjoyable. In my opinion, they're way better than the Best wishes season. It's not that I didn't like the Best wishes seasons, but they were the worst seasons out of the lot.

I do admit BW wasn't perfect but i wouldn't say that it was the worst seasons out of a lot because that just isn't entirely true, BW Ash might not have been perfect but atleast he did have a much better interesting personality and highly thought BW Ash was ever consider to be a scrappy. There were worser seasons out there before BW was even made, and i mean AG was the worst season to ever be made, DP was just bad as the season before it and it had the lowest ratings during it's final run.

X&Y is kinda okay and a lot more interesting then BW, but that's not saying too much since it does has the lowest ratings compare to the last three series before it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I do admit BW wasn't perfect but i wouldn't say that it was the worst seasons out of a lot because that just isn't entirely true, BW Ash might not have been perfect but atleast he did have a much better interesting personality and highly thought BW Ash was ever consider to be a scrappy. There were worser seasons out there before BW was even made, and i mean AG was the worst season to ever be made, DP was just bad as the season before it and it had the lowest ratings during it's final run.

X&Y is kinda okay and a lot more interesting then BW, but that's not saying too much since it does has the lowest ratings compare to the last three series before it.

I do agree with you about AG being very bad (especially when the way they handled it, even watching it proved to be a waste of time since he doesn't even get any rank increases at all, in fact, he does just as well as he did in Johto, the Battle Frontier ultimately proved to be pointless thanks to Gary beating Ash with Electivire and necessitating Ash going to Sinnoh, and May ends up replaced with Dawn just to have the latter do May's goal anyways, meaning May's character development is rendered pointless and her having a goal as Coordinator was made even more pointless than it already was). Not with BW. I didn't like DP all that much, but let's be fair, at least Ash actually came across as intelligent and a pro in that series by comparison, not to mention he actually DID better than before. With BW, he basically effortlessly lost to a trainer who was literally just out the door to a new journey, even when he shouldn't have lost (and please don't use Zekrom as an excuse, Pikachu still had Iron Tail, and besides which, he basically encountered Team Rocket who defeated Pikachu effortlessly beforehand so he would have known about its crippled status per Zekrom), not to mention he mistook what was obviously a human being (Iris) for an Axew, when it should have been obvious that it wasn't an Axew at all (Axew are roughly Pikachu's size). What's worse is that Iris wasn't even disguised at all, so he doesn't even have that as an excuse. That's not even getting into the Unova turnout (not increasing in rank is one thing, but actually doing WORSE than before?!), made even worse that he lost to someone who was an even bigger idiot than he was in that saga. He should have at least lost to that Eeveelution trainer, Gary Stu or no, at least that would have been a more honorable loss there. Having Ash depicted as a total idiot was just... ugh. I could excuse Indigo League Ash for similar behavior since he was at least starting out, but not Unova League Ash.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back