• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon XY's rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Currently, the ratings are still low at 4.4 which is way lower than its competitor, Yokai Watch whose ratings are at 6.1. Also the source confirms that the anime did switched networks. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-03-17/japan-animation-tv-ranking-march-2-8/.86006

Huh. From the way they were talking about Yokai Watch's popularity, I was expecting it to be in the teens in terms of ratings, like Pokémon was during the Indigo League Season.

And if they did indeed switch networks, I was proven right: Changing the networks definitely wouldn't change things (if it isn't even doing well for online viewings, how could switching networks or even times make a difference? Heck, how can it even make a difference when even the marketing and sale of merchandise is basically down the toilet right now?). Honestly, all I can say is that the writers better get their affairs into order, because there's zero chance they'll be able to continue the show into Generation VII, especially not get to the next generation's league at the rate their going.

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
    Years
  • I have not bothered to go through all 8 pages, so I am not sure if anyone already mentioned this.

Has anyone other than me every thought of the reason why Pokemon Anime is growing less and less popular is due to the new cast and animators? Like, when the original cast was replaced after the 8th season in the manner they were, they lost a lot of respect from me. Granted, I still do watch the new stuff and enjoy it to an extent, it is NOTHING like the old stuff. The Original Series and even Advanced had the personalities of a good and enjoyable anime. Nowadays, it's pretty repetitive when you compare it to the originals.

I think The Pokemon Company Inc. is a large reason why the show's ratings have dropped and continue to drop in the coming years. 4Kids had it right, and they got screwed, along with the original cast, when they got taken over and thrown out the door after the 8th season.

I just figured I'd throw that out there.. That is what I have always thought.

PikachuGuy

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I have not bothered to go through all 8 pages, so I am not sure if anyone already mentioned this.

Has anyone other than me every thought of the reason why Pokemon Anime is growing less and less popular is due to the new cast and animators? Like, when the original cast was replaced after the 8th season in the manner they were, they lost a lot of respect from me. Granted, I still do watch the new stuff and enjoy it to an extent, it is NOTHING like the old stuff. The Original Series and even Advanced had the personalities of a good and enjoyable anime. Nowadays, it's pretty repetitive when you compare it to the originals.

I think The Pokemon Company Inc. is a large reason why the show's ratings have dropped and continue to drop in the coming years. 4Kids had it right, and they got screwed, along with the original cast, when they got taken over and thrown out the door after the 8th season.

I just figured I'd throw that out there.. That is what I have always thought.

PikachuGuy

Well , Pokemon is Kids Anime , Not a Korean Drama show .
    But it seem the writers forgot about that.
    Kids Anime has to be Simple ! Kids Anime require really good slapstick humor , Gag , Parody , Dynamic reaction , Perfect Comic timing ,Bizarre character & their Bizarre attic.
    But Current Pokemon XY series lack all of them.
    Also , Writer attempt to treat everyone better then Ash is also killing the show . They has this weird idea that The Protagonist is less important and all other character are more important then him.
    Even though there are Anime that focus on multiple character But Pokemon ain't one of them.
    Writer refuge to acknowledge that Some Anime success totally depend on how the Protagonist is treated and Pokemon is one of them!
    If Developing Other character is So important then Original series would never became Popular in the first place.
    Considering The Original series totally ignore Misty & Brock .
    100 episode aired and we still had no idea of What Brock actually does and Misty goal.
    All ''Takeshi Shodu'' gave us are some hint implying Misty's Goal has something to do with Water Pokemon and Pokemon breeder are some sort of Beautician.
    Even Gary didn't appeared very much ! When he appeared , he just push Ash to his limit by taunting him instate off going though his own development . We didn't knew any of his Pokemon until Viradian city gym.
    It was like Every character in Original Series only & only existed to develop and support Ash , Not to achieve their goal.
    I guess , That make Takeshi Shudo and his storyboard the worst writers in history since they mainly focus on Ash.
    However , Takeshi shudo knew Pokemon is not the type of Anime that can focus on multiple Character and their goal.
    Also Kids doesn't really give dam care about other Character Development , Its the Older Fans that are shouting for their development.
    Kids attention were only toward Ash & Pikachu back then . That's Why None of us give a dam care about Brock & Misty development until we became Older.
    Also , Another reason for XY Series low rating-

Ash , Serena & Clemnot talk to each other using the polite form of speech.

Ash & his gang are Kids ! No matter how smart they are , they are still KIDS.
    And Kids doesn't
    talk to each other using the polite form of speech , That how Adults talk to each other.
    The fact that Ash , Serena and Clemont
    talk to each other using the polite form of speech mean they are not very close at all ! Unlike them , The Original trio (Ash, Brock , Misty) didn't talk to each other using the polite form of speech So their relationship was way more Dynamic and Fun to watch .

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
    Years
  • I can see where you're coming from, Famon. (Not going to quote due to the massive size of both of our posts for space's sake.)

However, it was clearly known in the Original Series on the goals and dreams of Misty and Brock. Sure, they weren't made as obvious as Ash's goals, since his were stated every other episode. Misty's goal was to become a master of Water Pokemon, while Brock being a master Pokemon breeder. Much like Ash, none of them were shown achieving their goals. Gary was just a rival, he was not one of the major protagonists. And by protagonist, I mean someone whom appears in each episode, not very sporadically like Gary. He was there for battles whenever possible and to annoy Ash like your typical rival. But, I have to agree on the relationship and speech part. They were much funnier and more comedic in the Original Series than they are today in X&Y. These are some interesting things to point out.. However, in the end, it is geared more towards kids. I am guessing kids today have different senses of humor than kids of my time.

Best wishes (pun definitely intended!)

PikachuGuy

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I can see where you're coming from, Famon. (Not going to quote due to the massive size of both of our posts for space's sake.)

However, it was clearly known in the Original Series on the goals and dreams of Misty and Brock. Sure, they weren't made as obvious as Ash's goals, since his were stated every other episode. Misty's goal was to become a master of Water Pokemon, while Brock being a master Pokemon breeder. Much like Ash, none of them were shown achieving their goals. Gary was just a rival, he was not one of the major protagonists. And by protagonist, I mean someone whom appears in each episode, not very sporadically like Gary. He was there for battles whenever possible and to annoy Ash like your typical rival.

PikachuGuy

Misty's goal was mostly implied until Jotho saga ! She also claim her dream to be a Star.
    Also , The Original series never really explain pokemon Breeder job . All we knew that Brock job is to raise a good pokemon , Thats it .
    We didn't knew what traveling has anything to do with Breeding ! If you want to raise & breed a Dog then you admit yourself in a school , not travel around the world.
    Honestly , I started to believe Pokemon Breeder are just Beautician since all Top breeder seem to open a Beauty Salon.
    Until DP series where Pokemon Breeder shown to run a Day care center.

it is geared more towards kids. I am guessing kids today have different senses of humor than kids of my time.
    I doubt it !
    Shinchan & Doreamon has similar dynamic interaction between character as Original series and those anime still gets better rating then Pokemon.
    Hack , Those Anime has the same character interaction they had when they first aired .
    Even Youkai watch has far dynamic interaction and the Protagonist doesn't use polie term of Speech to talk to all the youkai.
    So , I don''t Kids are the one that changed , Its the storyboard and scriptwriter that change .

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Misty's goal was mostly implied until Jotho saga ! She also claim her dream to be a Star.

You do realize Ash basically claimed a lot of the same stuff when doing various odd-jobs that at best tangentially had to do with his Pokémon Master goal, right? Not to mention the other characters, right? Heck, Team Rocket had plenty of goals besides capturing Pikachu and overall doing Team Rocket's bidding (or do I need to remind you of Jessie's desire to take the Pokémon League Entrance Exam to pad out her resume?).

Besides, Misty's goal of a Water Pokémon Master was actually stated as early as Tentacool and Tentacruel (in Kanto, in other words), I think Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village even alluded to it as well regarding her motivations for trying to capture Oddish.

Also , The Original series never really explain pokemon Breeder job . All we knew that Brock job is to raise a good pokemon , Thats it .
    We didn't knew what traveling has anything to do with Breeding ! If you want to raise & breed a Dog then you admit yourself in a school , not travel around the world.
    Honestly , I started to believe Pokemon Breeder are just Beautician since all Top breeder seem to open a Beauty Salon.
    Until DP series where Pokemon Breeder shown to run a Day care center.

Technically, Johto revealed via GSC that Pokémon Breeding involved having Pokémon mating and producing eggs (and until DP, the closest Brock ever got to that goal was his raising Togepi as an egg, and he doesn't even get to keep it thanks to Togepi seeing Misty first and thus imprinting on her).

I doubt it !
    Shinchan & Doreamon has similar dynamic interaction between character as Original series and those anime still gets better rating then Pokemon.
    Hack , Those Anime has the same character interaction they had when they first aired .
    Even Youkai watch has far dynamic interaction and the Protagonist doesn't use polie term of Speech to talk to all the youkai.
    So , I don''t Kids are the one that changed , Its the storyboard and scriptwriter that change .

You have a point there. And for a show that's being talked about as if it's got a huge amount of popularity, Youkai Watch doesn't seem all that popular due to it only having a rating of 6 at best (The Original Series had ratings up to 17).

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2015
    Coming back from a dreadful university day, but there are the updated TV Ratings (from XY060 onwards).
    XY053: Serena gets serious! The wild Meeckle race: 3,7% (out of top 10)
    XY054: Kojirou and Maaiika: A bond that saves the world: 3,3% (out of top 10. Christmas-holiday-induced low rating. So, it's not relevant)
    XY055: The weakest dragon ever!? Enter Numera!: 3,9% (out of top 10)
    XY056: Dedenne does its best!! All for Numera!!: 3,9% (out of top 10)
    XY057: Vanipeti panic!! Left cold by a whiteout!: 4,6% (returned to top 10)
    XY058: Hiyoku gym battle!! Gekogashira vs. Gogoat: 4,1% (out of top 10)
    XY059: Satoshi and Serena's first Date!? The oath tree and the present!: 4,1% (out of top 10)
    XY060: Aim to be Kalos Queen! Serena's debut!: 4,5% (out of top 10)
    XY061: Into the Badlands! Fight Numera!: 3,6% (out of top 10)
    XY062: Protect the future of Science! The Electric Labyrinth: 4,2% (out of top 10)
    XY063: Being Lost and torn is the path of separation!? Musashi and Sonansu!: 4,4%
    XY064: Fokko vs Mafoxy! The elegant Performance battle: 3,5% (Outta top 10)
    SME Act III: Unknown (out of top 10 though)
    XY065: Kameiru and Raichu appear! Good Luck Numeil!: 4,6% (returned to top 10)
    XY066: The Miare City Investigation! Citroid vs. Black Citroid!: 5,0%
    XY067: Miare Gym battle: Satoshi vs. Citron!: 3,1% (out of top 10, lowest rated episode in XY series)

Sauce: 2ch posts (out op top 10 chart tv viewership is very difficult to find).

You have a point there. And for a show that's being talked about as if it's got a huge amount of popularity, Youkai Watch doesn't seem all that popular due to it only having a rating of 6 at best (The Original Series had ratings up to 17).

Keep in mind there were other times back then. So, ratings above 5% are considered kinda spectacular for an anime series right now. That's the reason YW is considered a monster hit and DBKai's final chapters were extended from 48 episodes to 62 (aside from Fukkatsu no F promotion).

Keep this in mind: Kanto region general TV Ratings' average from January-March range was aprox: 4,3%. Pokemon is averaging 4,1% between those 3 months. So, it's having pretty subpar ratings.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Coming back from a dreadful university day, but there are the updated TV Ratings (from XY060 onwards).
    XY053: Serena gets serious! The wild Meeckle race: 3,7% (out of top 10)
    XY054: Kojirou and Maaiika: A bond that saves the world: 3,3% (out of top 10. Christmas-holiday-induced low rating. So, it's not relevant)
    XY055: The weakest dragon ever!? Enter Numera!: 3,9% (out of top 10)
    XY056: Dedenne does its best!! All for Numera!!: 3,9% (out of top 10)
    XY057: Vanipeti panic!! Left cold by a whiteout!: 4,6% (returned to top 10)
    XY058: Hiyoku gym battle!! Gekogashira vs. Gogoat: 4,1% (out of top 10)
    XY059: Satoshi and Serena's first Date!? The oath tree and the present!: 4,1% (out of top 10)
    XY060: Aim to be Kalos Queen! Serena's debut!: 4,5% (out of top 10)
    XY061: Into the Badlands! Fight Numera!: 3,6% (out of top 10)
    XY062: Protect the future of Science! The Electric Labyrinth: 4,2% (out of top 10)
    XY063: Being Lost and torn is the path of separation!? Musashi and Sonansu!: 4,4%
    XY064: Fokko vs Mafoxy! The elegant Performance battle: 3,5% (Outta top 10)
    SME Act III: Unknown (out of top 10 though)
    XY065: Kameiru and Raichu appear! Good Luck Numeil!: 4,6% (returned to top 10)
    XY066: The Miare City Investigation! Citroid vs. Black Citroid!: 5,0%
    XY067: Miare Gym battle: Satoshi vs. Citron!: 3,1% (out of top 10, lowest rated episode in XY series)

Sauce: 2ch posts (out op top 10 chart tv viewership is very difficult to find).

Keep in mind there were other times back then. So, ratings above 5% are considered kinda spectacular for an anime series right now. That's the reason YW is considered a monster hit and DBKai's final chapters were extended from 48 episodes to 62 (aside from Fukkatsu no F promotion).

Keep this in mind: Kanto region general TV Ratings' average from January-March range was aprox: 4,3%. Pokemon is averaging 4,1% between those 3 months. So, it's having pretty subpar ratings.

Hmm... that's looking pretty bad.

And didn't Pokémon air at the same time and day since the Porygon Incident? So why would anime be getting horrid ratings in general?

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Hmm... that's looking pretty bad.

And didn't Pokémon air at the same time and day since the Porygon Incident? So why would anime be getting horrid ratings in general?

Probably because --

---Ash & Co use polite term of speech to talk to one another So the character interaction is really boring.

---Lack of Good and bizarre Pun , gag and comedy .

---The Anime completely disconnect itself from Real World ! For example , Youkai Watch did a Halloween based episode last year while Pokemon made an episode about Laprus that time . Seriously , Kalo has a pokemon that represent the symbol of Halloween Jack-o-lantern So it was a perfect opportunity to promote various sized Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist But the Idiot director completely avoided that .We could have a episode about Halloween festival where Ash & Dress up for Trick or Treat But the Director completely blow the Chance ! Even Takeshi Shodu focus on Christmas and Kids Day .

---There is no Power in the ''Driving force'' of the Anime series! Ash's goal is the Driving force of the series But if Kids Accept Ash will never achieve his Goal then its no longer work a ''Driving Force'' .
    For example : The Driving Force of Detective Conan is ''Black Organization'' ! However , we know that someday Conan will take down ''Black Origination'' So its worth watching this series . But Now We can't expect Ash can win a League , Forget about being a Pokemon/Champion Master.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    We're probably going to need to revive this topic, if not this topic specifically, then at least make a new topic about the XY ratings, and make it a sticky topic as well.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back