• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon versions you picked first through the years?

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm kind of a psycho and may or may not have every main series game besides red, white, and black2. Never got red because I started playing Pokemon with generation II. Once I went to get yellow they had already stopped making the first generation games so I had to get it used and I happened upon blue through my cousin who no longer wanted it. I just never bothered going out of my way to find a red version. Then with Unova I got black and hated it, but I kept reading people raving about black2 and white2 so I went for white2 to switch it up. It was better but still sucked so I never bothered getting either counterpart.

TheGinger63

PKMN Trainer
    Years
  • Ive had games bought as gifts earlier on rather than choosing myself.

Gen 1: Red
    Gen 2: Silver
    Gen 3: Ruby, Leafgreen (first actual choice)
    Gen 4: Diamond, Soulsilver
    Gen 5: White, Black 2
    Gen 6: X

Years
  • So I own the following:
    Gen I - N/A
    Gen II - Gold
    Gen III - Sapphire, Emerald, Leaf Green
    Gen IV - Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold
    Gen V - White, White 2, Black 2
    Gen VI - X,Y

The versions for each generation that I got first were:
    Gen I - Red
    Gen II - Gold
    Gen III - Sapphire, Leaf Green
    Gen IV - Pearl, Heart Gold
    Gen V - White, White 2
    Gen VI - Both but X arrived first which means I count X.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I wasn't alive in the early Pokemon games, but I have played most of the main series ones. The ones that I write are gonna be the first ones from that generation that I have played/beat.
    1:Red. Got it over at Sawgrass mall in Ft.Lauderdale when I was like seven.
    2:Crystal. My older brother used to have it and he would let me play it sometimes. I got Silver later when we moved to the US, though.
    3:Emerald. Traded it for a really crappy THPS game I had.
    4:Diamond. My friend lent it to me, and I ended up buying it a few weeks after.
    5:Black, and Black 2. Got Black on my DS, Black 2 on an emulator.
    6:I don't have six yet D:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I was born October of '96, fairly young so I only started gen 3. For me; Hoen=Ruby red, Sinnoh=Pearl, [S-HIGHLIGHT]I skipped unova cause it looked dookie[/S-HIGHLIGHT] but kalos got my faith back. For kalos I want Y but the ds bundle that I'm getting only comes with x so whatever, that charizard X is the truth anyway. Which versions of each gen do you guys prefer?

ROFL at you calling that Unova is looking like "dookie". XD

As for me (scroll to the bottom of this post if you want the abridged version of my selected versions):
    Generation 1 (Kanto): I was more into the Pokemon anime TV show at the time, so I didn't really "pick" a version at the time. I loved the mechanics of Yellow Version (vividly remember seeing a relative's Pikachu-edition Game Boy), though; I probably would've chosen Pokemon Red Version (based on my Generation 3 Kanto choice).

Generation 2 (Johto): Again, I was more into the Pokemon TV show at this point, so I didn't really pick a version, too. I'm honestly not sure what I would've picked - I'm more familiar with Lugia (what with the Pokemon The Movie 2000: The Power of One and the "Pokemon X codename" hullabaloo surrounding it) and "Pokemon Silver Version" seems like "the road not taken" to me (maybe something to do with silver being seen by society as lesser in value than gold..?), though I remember Ho-Oh strongly from a Pokemon: Master Quest episode (Episode 227, For Ho-Oh the Bells Toll!). And then Pokemon Crystal Version just sounds intriguing and pretty and stuff whenever I read/hear its name (although Suicune isn't very version-mascot-ish for me). XD Based on my Generation 4 choice, I might've chosen Pokemon Gold Version to start with.

Generation 3 (Hoenn): Ah yes, the generation that I'm familiar with! I began with Pokemon Sapphire Version (later getting a second Sapphire cartridge to replace the lost first Sapphire cartridge, and then later getting Emerald to replace the lost second Sapphire cartridge) out of a love for Secret Bases! Even though I adamantly pick Fire-type starter Pokemon (with my first being a Torchic, cause fire is totally cool in battles), Pokemon Sapphire Version just seemed more...soothing to me. Kyogre and the blue-hued designs accompanying it in the background visually looked interesting, all calm and placid on the color..and it was a whale, not "OMG!!!!111!! LOL_DINOSAURS_ROXXORZ" like Groudon seemed at the time. XD Also, I think the first time I experienced Hoenn, it was from someone's Sapphire Version cartridge.

Later on, with two Sapphire cartridges annoyingly getting lost, I resorted to getting Pokemon Emerald Version (I was initially fearful of what the Pokemon sprites would look like, though... I saw the second frames of each sprite animation on Serebii.net (Blaziken comes to mind), so some were a little off-putting at first), due to all of the bonus content, with the Hoenn Battle Frontier comprising a good portion of it. Not to mention that the cool Pokemon Rayquaza took center stage in the game's plot! I'm more inclined to think of Emerald as my now-definitive version of the Hoenn-based Generation 3 games, since it showcased Hoenn in the best light. As for my definitive Hoenn legendary version mascot Pokemon, Kyogre seems to be more my homie (I'm so used to its front and back sprites, as well as its Drizzle Ability!), with Rayquaza either tying or taking in a close second. Groudon is just that "other" Pokemon that took me ages to get traded to Sapphire; it seems so foreign! Pokemon Ruby Version, similarly, is seen as "that red-colored game I needed to get Groudon, Latios, and most Ruby-exclusives before Pokemon Emerald Version came along".
    Things that bother me in Emerald, though, are:
    -the absence of Lunatone in Meteor Falls
    -the position of practically everyone on Hoenn Route 117, especially Sr. & Jr. Anna and Meg - due to partaking in breeding and Contests, I got really used to the orientation and positioning of everyone in Sapphire's Route 117 variant, and to this day, I get slightly frustrated whenever I stare at Emerald's Route 117 variant
    -the sealing-up of Cave of Origin after the Super-ancient Pokemon (Weather Trio) crisis wraps up

In retrospect, I'm glad that I originally went with Sapphire Version - Hoenn seems more like a marine/tropical/water-based region to me with hints of land/earthy terrain (evident with the multitude of boats and ships, as well as the abundance of required Surfing and Diving). The trumpets of the music hammer this point home for me: "Title Screen: Main Theme" (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald Version) and "Battle! (Team Aqua/Team Magma Leaders)" both have an "underwater" vibe to them due to the trumpet usage, at least for me - the former of which meshes extremely well with Sapphire's title screen.

Generation 3 (Kanto): Watching the anime and seeing Ash's Charizard wrecking stuff and generally being all-around cool any time it appeared made me always want a Charizard (being simplistic yet a ridiculously well-designed "dragon"), and Pokemon FireRed Version finally gave me the opportunity to catch/receive one!
    I think I made up my mind the instant that I discovered on Pokemon.com that these games were getting released! XD I know you can get a Charmander in Pokemon LeafGreen Version, too, but it seems like if you're not choosing Squirtle, you should support the version of what starter Pokemon you're getting!
    And red is a cool color, and fire is cool, so this was basically a no-brainer for me! XD

Generation 4 (Sinnoh): The pairing of "diamond and pearl" brought up beautiful imagery when I heard about them for the Nintendo DS. Originally, I was going to go with Pokemon Diamond Version because, in my opinion, "diamonds" seemed to fit better as a precious jewel/mineral along with rubies, sapphires, and emeralds compared to a pearl (which seemed...one-off-ish/set apart somehow). Furthermore, Dialga seemed cooler than Palkia to me, and I wasn't exactly a fan of Pearl's pink color scheme. Fortunately (?), due to not having a Nintendo DS to even get Diamond with, I waited a while in anticipation for a supposed "third version" to complement Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, since I didn't have the wherewithal to get Diamond, a DS, AND whatever potential third version was coming out. Lo and behold, I bided my time and patience paid off - cue Pokemon Platinum Version, complete with Giratina looking all menacing (at the time, Giratina Origin Forme was really off-putting to me) and a stunning box art background color scheme of red, yellow, black, and "platinum". When I heard that Platinum permitted the capture of Giratina and Dialga and Palkia and a Sinnoh Battle Frontier (enhancing Sinnoh's Battle Tower area), Platinum switched to my game of choice (I was like "It's Emerald all over again, except I didn't lose a Generation 4 game cartridge yet!"). Moreover, I later learned that platinum is seen as top-tier and tends to surpass even the classic "numismatic trio" of the metals gold, silver, and bronze, so the use of that particular metal seemed to surpass the gemstones of "diamond and pearl" - being a quite refreshing instance in my eyes.

Generation 4 (Johto): Here's where the choice of "what version I would get" got harder. I thought the names of Pokemon HeartGold Version and Pokemon SoulSilver Version were just absolutely wonderful.. The aforementioned arguments for "Lugia vs. Ho-Oh" during Generation 2 apply here, similarly (with the knowledge of Shadow Lugia being in Pokemon XD and both Lugia and Ho-Oh starring in Pokemon Stadium 2). The term SoulSilver alone was just too intriguing, and the SoulSilver box icon (that looks like a stylized silver Lugia raindrop/teardrop) reminded me of the "3D 'dark-hued'/'chess?' hologram Lugia thing" that Gelardan/Lawrence III used in the movie Pokemon 2000. However, I figured that I aligned with phoenixes more (my favorite legendary mythological beast...you can't go wrong with fiery firebirds!), so Ho-Oh's HeartGold was a little more compelling.. Of all things, the final deciding factor was the box art - I loved the incorporation of Johto's regional map on the front covers... The golden variant of it on HeartGold's box art seemed more "warm" and soothing to me (and hearkens to a classic brown/yellow-hued treasure map of some sort), with Johto seeming more like a serene yellowish-gold (with faint traces of green sprinkled in) region than a "silver/gray region. At last, my decision was set - Pokemon HeartGold Version!

Generation 5 (Unova 1.0): At first, I was confused when "Pokemon Black and White" were announced, essentially thinking "Huh? Why are we downgrading from minerals to grayscale colors?" Due to the odd phenomenon that adding a "black edition" or "black accents" somehow makes it exceedingly cool for some reason (ranging from computers, keyboards, and TVs to videogame consoles and Power Rangers/Super Sentai outfits..even Zekrom itself qualifies, as the black color scheme really helped its design), I rapidly began more inclined to selecting Pokemon Black Version. However, that decision was originally made with the belief that Zekrom was going to be Pokemon Black's mascot (although Reshiram and Zekrom are both well designed, Zekrom just looked boss when its black color scheme graced me). As we later found out, Game Freak decided to pull a "LOL YIN-YANG" pattern break, relegating Zekrom to the mascot of Pokemon White Version. Consequently, I was in a bind regarding my version choice, as now I really couldn't choose based on version mascot and name alone. So, for the first time, I actually delved into other minor version differences, two of the key ones being the Opelucid City Gym Leader and the overworld design. Since New York City (which primarily inspired Unova's design) is more of an urban area to me, I decided to go with Pokemon Black Version (which features more urban/technological/futuristic aesthetics, whereas Pokemon White Version has more rural/natural/ancient aesthetics). Iris seemed more apprentice-like than Gym Leader-ish at the time, so I was fine with Drayden heading Opelucid Gym in Black (little did I know that she would methodically and beautifully ascend, rising to the position of Unova League Champion in Pokemon Black and White Versions 2!). The Black box art also pushed my decision - the grids looked much better and ominous with the black hue as opposed to the white hue (which is somewhat hard to see).

Generation 5 (Unova 2.0): Cue Generation 5 being the first generation without a third version to force my picking. T_T I was initially more inclined towards Pokemon White 2 solely because of the awesome box art (practically "red-hot" in box art form, even with the fiery red-hued, icy, encroaching crystals in the logo!), despite White Kyurem looking a little more frumpy in design than Black Kyurem. Then I learned about how the storyline went - Black 2 correlates with Black, White 2 correlates with White, resulting in White 2 only having Kyurem and Reshiram. I was hoping that White 2 would let me catch Zekrom too, but to no avail. Since I didn't want to redundantly get two Reshiram (along with a spare Kyurem and no Zekrom to speak of), I settled for Pokemon Black Version 2 (which has menacing box artwork in its own right), in order to fit my "Unova 1.0" choice. Originally, glancing at Zekrom made me think "Wow, I wouldn't want to run across that Pokemon in a dead-end dark alley!". Black Version is me catching Reshiram while hearing mutterings about Zekrom across Unova, while Black Version 2 is me finally facing and confronting Zekrom in battle within said "dark dead-end alley" (either N's Castle or Dragonspiral Tower). The Shiny Garchomp Gift Pokemon of Black 2 slightly factored into the choice, although after seeing the pink Shiny Mega Garchomp, I think I'll just stick with a non-Shiny Garchomp.

Additionally, the fact that I can get a Latios in Black 2 helps, since I can get a Latias in HeartGold and I'm unsure whether I'll be able to get a Nintendo DS Lite to migrate a Latios from Emerald.

So, for Generation 5:
    -ideally, my choices are Black and White 2
    -however, due to game mechanics/storyline/set-ups for Black 2 and White 2, my choices in practice will be Black and Black 2.

Generation 6 (Kalos): When I first heard of Pokemon X and Y, I instantly decided on Pokemon X Version simply because X Makes Anything Cool. And then I saw Yveltal. And months after finding out about "Mewtwo Awakened Forme", I learned that it was Mewtwo's "Y" Mega Evolution and would be exclusive to Pokemon Y. Similarly, I learned that the first Mega Evolution of Charizard that was revealed (the orange one, Mega Charizard Y) would also be exclusive to Y. As a result, Pokemon Y became my version of choice (but Pokemon X as a name still sounds so much cooler), being the first game where version-exclusive Pokemon drove my decision and managed to help the game override the "cool name" factor.

Since the jury is still out on whether a Pokemon Z Version will exist, I plan to get Y for now, but it'll likely change to Z (provided that Z has bonus content and has Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, and Mega Mewtwo Y all obtainable within one game file). I prefer Yveltal over Zygarde heavily, but if Yveltal can be obtained in Z, I really don't mind.

Generation 6+ (Hoenn): Although this entry is speculative, on the chance that Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire remakes get announced, I'm getting Super!Sapphire without a doubt (unless something else happens, like a Emerald remake coming in as a solo/third installment). The one thing that could possibly push me towards Super!Ruby is something like Mega Blaziken (I know its corresponding Mega Stone is currently available event-only, but still) being exclusive (which would be unfathomably stupid, IMO).

In general, my version choices are based on version mascot and game name. Box art can be a deciding factor, along with how a region's thematic elements are presented within a given version. Aside from the version mascot, version-exclusive Pokemon themselves are generally a non-factor save for Pokemon X and Y's Mega Evolutions. From Generation 3 onwards, I'm willing to intentionally resign/force myself to getting the third versions (due to enhancements, fixes, better presentation, and bonus content), regardless of whether I like one of the third version's predecessor paired versions better.

-----

So, TL;DR ("own" means that I have the game; "intent" means that I plan to get the game):

Generation 1 (Kanto): N/A, but most likely Pokemon Red Version, because of Generation 3 choice.

Generation 2 (Johto): N/A, but most likely Pokemon Gold Version, due to Generation 4 choice.

Generation 3 (Hoenn):
    Pokemon Sapphire Version
    (originally, owned but lost 2 cartridges; due to Kyogre's serenity, blue color scheme of box art, Hoenn being more watery due to water routes and music's trumpets)
    Pokemon Emerald Version (own; chosen due to Rayquaza's dominance and bonus content; seems more definitive for a Hoenn game)

Generation 3 (Kanto): Pokemon FireRed Version, because fire and dragons are cool (own).

Generation 4 (Sinnoh): Pokemon Diamond Version (intended originally, due to: diamonds as a precious gem fitting "rubies, sapphires, and emeralds" better than pearls; Dialga's color scheme and design being better than Palkia's design and color scheme)
    Pokemon Platinum Version (own; chosen due to epic box art, Giratina's presence, being a third version with bonus content in the vein of Emerald)

Generation 4 (Johto): Pokemon HeartGold Version, because of a phoenix's presence and box-art being more fitting. SoulSilver has the better name and boxart icon, though. (own)

Generation 5 (Unova 1.0): Pokemon Black Version, chosen due to the color black making everything look cool, grids on box art looking better, Drayden's presence as Opelucid Gym Leader, Unova looking more urban like New York City usually does. Originally chosen in belief that Zekrom was the mascot. (intent)

Generation 5 (Unova 2.0): Pokemon Black Version 2, because of epic box art and how it follows the storyline of Black Version 1, allows the acquisition of Zekrom and Dreamyard Latios. (intent)

-ideally, my choices are Black and White 2
    -however, due to game mechanics/storyline/set-ups for Black 2 and White 2, my choices in practice will be Black and Black 2.

Generation 6 (Kalos):
    Pokemon Y
    (intent), because of Yveltal, Mega Charizard Y, and Mega Mewtwo Y (Mewtwo Awakened Forme). Pokemon X has the cooler name, though.
    Pokemon Z (true intent due to being a potential third version with bonus content, but I'd prefer it if it had Xerneas, Yvetal, Zygarde, Mega Charizard Y, and Mega Mewtwo Y)

Generation 6+? (Hoenn): Pokemon Super!Sapphire Version, since Pokemon Sapphire was my first Pokemon game ever, (insert "Generation 3 Hoenn" reasons here), and because Kyogre.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    Since the third generation I've always bought both versions - mostly because I managed to get my mother to try Red after I got Yellow, and she wanted to play each one following on from that - although I've always picked one to play first. My choices were thus:

I: Red, followed by Yellow
    II: Silver, followed by Crystal
    III: Ruby, followed by Emerald, followed by Fire Red
    IV: Diamond, followed by Platinum, followed by SoulSilver
    V: Black, followed by Black 2
    VI: X

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I always get both and the deluxe/sequels, but for what it's worth...

Red, Silver, Sapphire, FireRed, Diamond, SoulSilver, White, Black 2, X. This doesn't include deluxe versions, of course. And in the end, I prefer Y to X just cause I like Yveltal a lot. I actually didn't care which one I got first. My friend that works at GameStop picked for me, haha.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Gen 1: Blue
    Gen 2: Gold, Crystal
    Gen 3: Sapphire
    Gen 4: SoulSilver
    Gen 5: White 2, White (yep, got the sequel first)

After Gen 3 I lost interest for the series for a while. That's why I don't own any of the Sinnoh games. My interest came back when I got White 2 out of curiousity.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    The differences between the games of each generation is usually so small that I rarely bother to get both (or all three). Especially since Gen 4, when Wifi was introduced to Pokemon. Anyway, these are the versions I've gotten over the years

Gen I: Red, Blue, Yellow (but the Yellow don't work anymore, and I'm not sure where Red/Blue went)
    Gen II: Silver
    Gen III: Ruby, FireRed
    Gen IV: Pearl, Platinum (its techinically my sister's, but whatever), Soul Silver
    Gen V: White, Black 2
    Gen VI: Y

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Gen I: Yellow
    Gen II: Gold
    Gen III: Sapphire, LeafGreen
    Gen IV: Diamond, HeartGold
    Gen V: Black, White 2
    Gen VI: X

I actually got Gen III first, then II, IV, I, V, VI. :3

TheWanap

Developing: Pokemon: Cursed Time
    Years
  • I was born in '98, but I didn't know about pokemon games since my irl friend showed me his Diamond version when we were in third grade. Then I wished Diamond for my Christmas present and I got it! (and ds lite too). Then I played it until the Platinum version released next summer. I bought it and played it. The next game was HG/SS, and I chose SS (Soul Silver) because Lugia rocks xD Then I chose Pokemon White, after that White 2, and last October Pokemon Y. Now I'm making own Pokemon game called Cursed Time. :)

Years
  • Gen 1: Red
    Gen 2: Silver
    Gen 3: Ruby, Emerald
    Gen 4: SoulSilver
    Gen 5: White, White 2

The first game that I started on was Silver, but Emerald was the first one that I owned and beat. I've never played X or Y because I don't have a 3DS.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I: Blue
    II: Gold
    III: Sapphire
    IV: Pearl
    V: Black
    VI: Y

During Generations 1 to 4, my twin brother got the opposite version. I would get the 3rd version, Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum. For Generation 5, I got Black first, then White and one sequel myself.

I have all of the versions except LeafGreen, SoulSilver, Black 2, and X.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I: All of dem
    II: All of dem
    III: All of dem
    IV: Diamond
    V: White

I've gotten lazy with buying pokemon games lately

Gible

Y L I E S S E
    Years
  • My first Pokemon game was Silver version. I didn't get a Gameboy when Y/B/R were out so I missed out on the original gen1.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • Gen 1: Yellow (because it had Pikachu on the cover, duh!)
    Gen 2: Silver (because Pokemon 2000 had happened)
    Gen 3: Ruby (because Groudon)
    Gen 1 remakes: FireRed (because who wants a game called "LeafGreenTea"!)
    Gen 4: skipped it.
    Gen 2 remakes: SoulSilver (see Gen 2 reasoning)
    Gen 5: White (Zekrom. Godzilla with wings)
    Gen 5 sequels: White 2 (it followed White's storyline, so it made sense)
    Gen 6: Y (Nature vs Death? Death wins!)

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • Gen 1: FireRed
    Gen 2: SoulSilver
    Gen 3: Sapphire
    Gen 4: Pearl
    Gen 5: White

These are my choices.

Years
  • I: Yellow, was really the only gen 1 I played all the way through.
    II: Silver, then Crystal.
    III: Sapphire, because it's my birthstone. Followed that with Emerald. I had both fire red and leaf green, then I lost them by leaving them on top of a car...:(...but now I have them again! :D
    IV: Diamond, liked the legendary better. Then got Platinum.
    V: Black, then White 2, for a difference.
    VI: X, because of Xerneas. :P But now I have Y, too, because I found it for 15 dollars lol.

I usually pick one of the first two out of every gen, and then always get the third whenever it comes out.

And for the gen 2 remakes, I went with Soul silver because silver was the one I played back in the day. (because of Lugia. <33)

Last edited:
    Back