• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon versions you picked first through the years?

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
    I always choose the version of the game with the legendary I want at the end. Before the Internet, I had to base that decision on the cover photo alone. For the newest incarnation, I chose X because I like the color Blue, and for the more understandable fact that Xerneas is the first Fairy-type legendary Pokemon :)

My aesthetic evaluation of the Pokemon games leads to the occasional disappointment, but overall I rarely regret the versions I buy first (end up usually buying both version for replay value). The biggest disappointment for me is when I find out that the version I have chosen doesn't have Sandshrew/Sandslash in it (either for capture or in-game trade).
    III: Sapphire, because it's my birthstone.
    That's one of the reasons I chose Ruby :)

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
    The second reason I chose Ruby first was Groudon. He looked like a legend I could get behind. I was pleasantly surprised to find out he was Ground-type :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Gen 1: Blue
    Gen 2: Gold
    Gen 3: Ruby, LeafGreen
    Gen 4: Pearl, HeartGold
    Gen 5: Black, Black 2
    Gen 6: Y

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    I picked Gold and its remake mainly because every one of my friends picked Silver, and because Sandslash and Mantine are exclusives.

Sapphire because it's my birthstone.

Platinum because I didn't care for D/P and Giratina is my favorite mascot legendary.

White and White 2 for the helluvit.

Meksal

What do you mean this thing is priceless? *Nom nom
    Years
    Gen I (Kanto): Yellow
    Gen II (Johto): *never played these, I know, GASP*
    Gen III (Hoenn/Kanto): Sapphire, usually, but lately I've preferred emerald. I've never played firered or leafgreen.
    Gen IV (Sinnoh/Johto): Platinum, Soulsilver
    Gen V (Unova): White, White 2
    Gen VI (Kalos): X

Years
    Generation 1: Red,
    Generation 2: Gold,
    Generation 3: Ruby,
    Generation 4: Diamond, Heart Gold
    Generation 5: White,
    Generation 6: X.

Those are LITERALLY the first versions in each generation.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    I remember picking Blue over Red simply due to it being my favourite colour. Then..

Silver > Gold
    LeafGreen > FireRed

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    Gen 1: Red
    Gen 2: Crystal
    Gen 3: Ruby
    Gen 4: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, SoulSilver
    Gen 5: White, Black 2 -> Imma Zekrom fan
    Gen 6: I dont have a Gen 6 or a 3DS. Want one sooo bad thou.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I was born in late '95. The first Pokemon game I ever played was Pokemon Stadium 1 for the Nintendo 64. As far as the "core" games go, I started playing with Gold on the Gameboy. I liked how you could hook it up in a port to your Nintendo 64 controller and play the game on the Nintendo 64. I would spend many hours of my childhood playing through the game in that way, being able to play a handheld game on my TV really fascinated me. Now that I look at it, how Game Freak was able to do that so early on in gaming was impressive.

I eventually received Pokemon Red and Blue for Generation 1. However, I have never completed Pokemon Yellow. For Generation 2, my first game was Pokemon Gold , but Crystal was my favorite of course. For Generation 3 my first game was Ruby, but my favorite is Emerald. For Generation 4 m first and favorite game is Diamond although I have all three. For Generation 5 my favorite game is probably Pokemon Black, and for Generation 6 Pokemon X.

~Justified~

~Working On A New Rom Hack~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2015
    Didn't have Gen 1 or 2 Until I got Emulators, but Heres the Rest:
    Gen 3: Emerald, Firered
    Gen 4: Diamond, Platinum, Soulsilver
    Gen 5: White, Black 2

Don't have gen 6 either.

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
    Years
    For the first 3 generations, I've played on my cousin's console. I was even able to play the Japanese Pokemon Yellow. It was awesome. I wonder where it is now though.

But here's what I played first for each Gen

Gen I: Red
    Gen II: Gold
    Gen III: Sapphire, Leaf Green
    Gen IV: Diamond, HeartGold
    Gen V: Black, Black 2
    Gen VI: X

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Gen 1...
    I played the three games when I was young. Also managed to play a horribly-translated green version. >.>
    But anyway, my first game ever was the first gen, and it was PKMN Blue version. I lost that game after I threw it like a boomerang outside of our house, and never found it again. xD
    I then got Red, but then I gave it to my brother as I got Yellow. :3

Gen 2...
    I already invented the name "Jagold" as a character of my written stories during high school, so I obviously got the Gold version. My bro played Silver and we kept on having battles and trading and battles. Ah, good ol' memories. :3
    I borrowed Crystal from a friend, but somehow, that game didn't have the "feel" to it, so I didn't bother to finish it. =/

Gen 3...
    I first got PKMN Ruby from someone who was selling his GBA and a few games (Ruby included) to my dad. He bought it and I played the game.
    Unfortunately, the battery was already dead, so I couldn't save.
    Fortunately though, that was when my brother discovered ROMs and Emulators. So we played the game on my father's laptop back then.
    We wanted to play the game at the same time, but we couldn't, until my bro made some tweaks on Virtual Boy Advance that made the window not pause when inactive. So, three pairs of hands on the laptop keyboard, all playing Ruby and Sapphire, and then the three of us played Emerald together. :P
    I still had my GBA back then when my friend suddenly let me borrow his LeafGreen cartridge for reasons I have already forgotten. Anyway, that was the first game ever that I found and caught a random shiny on Route 1; a Pidgey!
    ...unfortunately, he started a New Game as soon as I returned the game 'cause he didn't like the name I gave to the player. =/
    For PMD, we played the Red Mystery Dungeon. :3 Damn, that game really made us go teary eyed. <3

Gen 4...
    Despite the availability of emulators and ROMs, this generation didn't appeal to me. Platinum almost did, where Giratina and Shaymin suddenly became my two newest favorite legendaries, but I still couldn't put myself to play it. =/
    Though I enjoyed watching my brother play Platinum. And boy, Cynthia was a very tough champion. o.o
    None of my brothers and I played the Gen 2 remakes though. I don't really know why.
    We wanted to play it, but I guess it didn't appeal to us as much as I would have thought it would. =/
    And oh, we also played Explorers of Time, but I didn't finish it and went to play Explorers of the Sky instead. <3
    Oh god, the feels... <3

Gen 5...
    Never played the "real" B/W version though. I played a hacked one called "Blaze Black" while my two other brothers played "Volt White".
    I didn't play B2/W2 versions, but I enjoyed watching my younger play the game. :3

Gen 6...
    Gen 3 was the last gen where I actually owned both a handheld and a cartridge for the PKMN franchise. So buying a 3ds and PKMN X felt really, really...weird.
    I was sad that I spent so much money on these things, but I also felt...happy. Happy that, finally, I'm back in the world on PKMN.
    Sure, there are emulators and ROMs out there, but nothing beats a real game that you can carry and hold and be proud of.
    Anyway, I chose X because Xerneas looked..."meh"-ish. Yveltal is the cool one, but Xerneas being the PKMN of life made me appreciate the legendary, and made me love it. :3

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    Gen 1: Red (charizard)
    Gen 2: Silver (Lugia)
    Gen 3: Skipped (Would have chosen Ruby though)
    Gen 4: Soul Silver & Platinum
    Gen 5: White (Zekrom)
    Gen 6: Y (Yvental)

As you can tell I base my chose on the Pokemon on the box or exclusive to that one game.

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
    My first generation was gen. II, and I picked Crystal since it was available.

Come gen. III, Sapphire it was! (Blue was my favorite color back then. Plus, I thought Kyogre looked cooler).

I skipped gen. IV, as I lost interest in Pokemon for a while during that time.

And for gen. V, I picked White. ^_^

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2015
    Blue
    Silver
    Sapphire
    Fire Red
    Diamond
    SoulSilver
    Black
    Black 2
    X

I generally picked the blue themed games.

Back