• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How did you get into Pokemon?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
My friends were always telling me how good it was and one day I just decided to get an emulator of Emerald on my phone, and I've been hooked ever since.

Team_green

Roan Blini
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Sep 29, 2015
My Cousin told me about it, The First episode i saw was S02E07 - In The Pink. Were they went to Pinkan Island! :D

My Fav Episode of all time is Snow Way Out!

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
Years
I honestly don't remember how I did, but I started watching the anime when I was very young and loved it. I remember having all the VHS tapes of the Kanto series, haha. I loved it so much my parents bought me a GBA and Yellow to encourage me to learn how to read. And well... it worked! I slowly went from having to ask my mom to save my game for me because I couldn't read the menu to being able to read all the dialog in the game.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
Years
Which got you in to Pokemon? The game or the tv show?

For me it was the tv show. Around the late 90's I started to watch the tv series and that's what got me involved with Pokemon. I had a N64 before I had any type of hand held device and I played Pokemon Stadium (and Ocarina of Time lol) making it the first Pokemon game I got to play. Then when I was about 6, I got a gameboy color for Christmas and I got to play the main series Pokemon games for the first time. Then ever since then I have been absolutely obsessed with Pokemon lol. What got you guys in to Pokemon?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
TV show is what got me into this franchise, definitely. When I was younger, I found it to be very entertaining to watch, and would do almost anything to not miss a single episode. Though, I've lost interest as time moved forward, but fortunately, the games have helped me keep sticking; they gave me a reason to keep following Pokémon.

Anyhow, this is sort of a broad topic we have here (as it doesn't strictly relate to Pokémon games), so if we don't mind, I'll move it to the correct area for us!

Moved to Pokémon General.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
I think I saw the Anime first while on holiday in Florida, but I didn't really get into it until after I played the Gen 1 games

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
Years
TV show is what got me into this franchise, definitely. When I was younger, I found it to be very entertaining to watch, and would do almost anything to not miss a single episode. Though, I've lost interest as time moved forward, but fortunately, the games have helped me keep sticking; they gave me a reason to keep following Pokémon.

Anyhow, this is sort of a broad topic we have here (as it doesn't strictly relate to Pokémon games), so if we don't mind, I'll move it to the correct area for us!

Moved to Pokémon General.

I also believe that without the tv show then the games would not be as motivating lol

Drogan

Master of the Cannons
Years
I don't remember what I saw first, but I remember the games really got me to continue liking the series. Also because my older brothers had the games as well. It might have been a combination of the anime and the games.

Years
For me it was the tv show. Around the late 90's I started to watch the tv series and that's what got me involved with Pokemon. I had a N64 before I had any type of hand held device and I played Pokemon Stadium (and Ocarina of Time lol) making it the first Pokemon game I got to play. Then when I was about 6, I got a gameboy color for Christmas and I got to play the main series Pokemon games for the first time. Then ever since then I have been absolutely obsessed with Pokemon lol. What got you guys in to Pokemon?
Sorry to juggle your thread around, but just wanted to give you the heads up that we've already got an active thread discussing how everyone got into Pokemon, so I'm just going to merge this over there!

Years
The anime was what introduced me to the series. My parents had gotten a VHS tape that contained a few episodes for my brother and I had caught a few scenes here and there. After a while, my brother got a copy of Yellow and after an even longer while, I had begun to get interested in the series as well to the point of becoming obsessed with it for the longest time.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
I got into Pokemon watching it on TV - I recalled watching an episode for the Johto Journeys series and the episode where May hatches her Eevee egg. It was also around that time I got two Pokemon games for my GBA: Pokemon LeafGreen and one bootleg... Pokemon DarkCry, iirc. It wasn't an obsession back then, and it was just an on-and-off experience until third grade where my classmate brought a copy of Ruby to school. Naturally after seeing that I wanted to buy a Pokemon game of my own, and that's how I got Emerald for the first time. I re-followed the anime series again and even bought a few issues from the manga. :)

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
Years
I first got into Pokemon in Spring or Summer 1999, I'm not sure when. My younger brother was watching the anime then I started watching it too and by summer 1999 I was hooked. I got out of it by 5'th grade I did play Red and Blue a little bit it 6'th grade. I recently got back into it when I was hooked on the SDC's copy of Heart Gold, and now I will be a loyal follower.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
When I was younger, I saw some boys flipping through a Pokemon handbook of sorts. I remember Honchkrow especially looked really cool and I eventually starting watching the occasional DP episode and playing the games. Never got very far though, since I relied heavily on my starter and only focused on catching Pokemon when I felt I had to.

ghostly

cross my heart. ♫
Years
  • Age 108
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
I remember I had the CD game of Pokemon Yellow, the one that Pikachu was your starter... I was very, very lost on what to do and what the heck is this game-

and then after months/years, Cartoon Network started to show that anime (which I really thought was cartoon) and I. fell. in. love.~

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
Years
I remember seeing the advertisements in the sales paper around Christmastime when I was 5 (my bday is the day after Christmas, so I really started Pokemon at age 6), so I put it on my Christmas list because at the time the only Gameboy games I had were Super Mario Land and Hercules (lol). My cousin (more like a sister) got Red, and I Blue. She hated/didn't understand it, so I ended up keeping her copy for years.

This was my first foray into RPGs, and it was brutal for the first week or so. On Christmas day, my aunt had to pick a starter for me because I had no idea what I was doing. She chose Charmander, and for a while I stuck with it. Later on, I gave Bulbasaur a try and that has been my partner ever since.

Years
I got hooked through Pokemon through watching my cousins and friends play through their FireRed and LeafGreen games; not by the element of capturing and training your own army of monsters, but rather that of exploration. Oddly enough, recollections of getting my own games are vague in comparison. The only detail I can remember is seeing that green cool-looking dragon Pokemon on the cover, and deciding that I wanted that game.

Back then I did not care one bit about making my Pokemon stronger and beating other trainers. I went through every building in every town, spoke to every NPC I could speak to and explored every cave as thoroughly as possible. Finding secrets and hidden areas, to me, was the most rewarding part of the game. It wasn't until I got the hang of type matchup that I would start becoming more conscious of how I battle.

Years
There was this news report on TV about Japanese kids having seizures from a TV show called Pocket Monsters. They showed some of the scenes in the news feed and I was hooked. I had never seen anything like it because I had never knew what anime was. I saw a couple DBZ episodes when I was like 5-6 but that was it. From then on I had to figure out what it was. Fast forward a year or two and BAM. Pokemon hit the US and completely changed gaming. People claimed it was a fad and would fade out in a year or two but I, along with every other child in the US, went insane for it. Movies. Games. TV Shows. Hell even Pokemon Snap was amazing.

So due to an unfortunate event overseas I was able to experience this world.

Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2016
I started a bit late, and it was with those little GBA cartridges with anime episodes. My first actual game was, believe it or not, Pokemon Pinball RS. I played that for quite a bit iirc, and I got the dex completed after a while. I got my first main game when a relative bought me pearl for the DS that I didn't have at the time, which lead me to buying that. I really haven't looked back since, and bought every one of RSE and FRLG, and eventually diamond and platinum. The only set I skipped out on was B2W2 only because I wasn't enamoured with BW, but I eventually played that on an emulator.

There's a lot of anime weaved into my experience too, but it definitely didnt catapult me into the main series like Pinball did.

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
I think it started with the anime waaay back when I was a little kid. My sister's crystal version got me into the games. Things took off from there.
Now I'm so deep into the franchise and I'll probably never get out. XD

Back