• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How did you get into Pokemon?

Sirfetch’d

When I was really young, around 7 or so, my mom bought my brother and me Blue and Yellow versions. I was so excited because this was my first ever video game for the Gameboy. I spent countless hours training my team and from the start I was just hooked completely. What got all of you into this addictive franchise?

Years
  • I recall hearing about the franchise when I was in primary school and watched the anime quite a fair bit as well, and that's where my love of Pokemon took off.

Sirfetch’d

I recall hearing about the franchise when I was in primary school and watched the anime quite a fair bit as well, and that's where my love of Pokemon took off.

So the anime led you to the games? I am the opposite and was let to the anime by the games haha

Years
  • Honestly? I don't quite remember.
    I got my first Pokemon game when I was 6 (so must've been around 1999) but I'm fairly certain I already knew about Pokemon when I started playing so I guess I got into it through the anime?

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I just started watching the show. No one told me about it was just on and I got into it, and it's been all downhill since then

Years
  • I remember starting with Pokemon me and my brother started playing it when i was young and he was teenage age i think i started with Blue he went with Red i think and we continued until Silver and gold where we both stopped which he has since returned to it and i have yet to do so.

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2017
    I recall hearing about the franchise when I was in primary school and watched the anime quite a fair bit as well, and that's where my love of Pokemon took off.
    Pretty much this, Cheez/Toasted TV were pretty good at starting new playground trends.

Years
  • While my memory of it is a little foggy since it was so long ago, I'm pretty sure it was the anime that got me into the franchise, followed shortly after that by the TCG, and then the games a few years down the road.

One thing I distinctly remember about getting into Pokemon was that the first episode I saw was Battle on the St. Anne, which was actually the very first episode aired in North America as a teaser. Of course, I didn't really think about it until years later, but that means I started watching Pokemon before it was even a regular series. And seeing how that was nearly 17 years ago, that makes me feel really old, haha.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017

And Pokémon Ruby was her first ever Pokémon game.~

My mother brought me the Japanese Yellow version, I still recall how stupid I was -- I didn't know how to get out from my own house! Hmm I was around 6-7 years old that time if I recall it right.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I kept seeing commercials on TV for Pokemon, and while I was very curious I had NO idea what it was. Then some kids at school started talking about it, so I looked closer and found some Lunchables with cut-out mini cards of Pokemon on the back. That's how I learned probably a good third of them. From there came toy searches, then I discovered the TCG... then I heard there was a show and I was like "Waaaaaaaah?" (I didn't have cable at the time.)

Somewhere in there I learned of the games, but I didn't have a Gameboy, so I made sure to change that when Gold/Silver got announced and went out to get a teal GBC... still have it. Got Gold and Silver the same day as each other... have those somewhere, too.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • It was shortly after my dad bought be a Nintendo Gameboy Colour for my birthday when my cousin gave me her Pokemon Gold. From that point forward I was obsessed. I collected the cards, bought all the games...joined a Pokemon forum, you name it.

Reactions: Sun
    Years
  • Probably ultimately started when Nintendo Power had an article on it some time before it came out - I don't remember the details about this one and I certainly don't have the magazines anymore, and a search isn't turning up anything I remember, but anyway - even from that the whole thing sounded interesting, they talked about the concept of catching monsters and making them able to change into unique monsters or...however they worded it. I just remember the wording made it sound really awesome.

And then right before the anime came out, there was all the hype surrounding the series in general, so by the time they decided to actually release the games I had fallen for it completely: "I must have those games right now!! o_o"

Maybe like a week or so later (because the stores there were dumb and didn't carry it/carry enough copies), finally managed to snag a copy of Blue, and that was definitely it then.

Calgar

Fire type lover
    Years
  • I remember getting Pokemon Red for my birthday and it's been a on again off again relationship ever since.

Years
  • Through the anime around the time it first started and got hooked. Started watching halfway through Challenge of The Samurai when I was switching through channels and wondered what it was and thought it looked quite interested so kept it on.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    When I was two or three, I remember watching Mewtwo Strikes Back with my older sister and being amazed by what I saw. The fight between Mew and Mewtwo, the clones, the vacation scene with Charizard getting his head stuck in a pipe. I absolutely loved the movies and I'd beg my parents to play them over and over.

Fast forward to 2006 and I remember seeing my sister playing Pokemon Emerald and becoming the champion of Hoenn with her team of Swampert, Flygon, Aggron, Walrein, Breloom and Armaldo. At that point, I knew that I wanted to do the same and I haven't looked back since!

In 2009, I was given Platinum for my eighth birthday and I've loved the series even more since. It's hard to believe that Pokemon's been in my life since I was two but I'd say that without my sister, I'm doubtful I would of gotten into the series. Thanks sis!

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    Back in 2002, my cousin sold me his GameBoy Color (complete with case, charger, etc...) and Pokémon Red and Gold for like 15 bucks. I've been hooked on the series since then.

Years
  • There is actually a funny story about this. I discovered the game from an acquaintance back when I was around 7. I received the game on Christmas, and I got stuck right away. That's right, I couldn't get out of the house. I had to ask my Dad what to do, and he figured out that rectangle thing was actually the doormat where I could get out...

Back