• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Random Writing Nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
While when on established RPs I tend to follow the "so many Goomy rule", when in my own work I tend to go the same way natural names work - either "so many Goomies" (if using uppercase - I don't see why natural names would have it in a Pokémon world considering "dog" doesn't have it in our world) or rewriting the sentence altogether to avoid direct use of that plural (if talking about Liepard for example, "so many cats", which is not a bad thing to have IMO~)

Astinus's thing about using collective names is a thing too. But what are the collective nouns for stuff like Lanturn, or Geodude?

I don't think the canon has ever expanded on that besides the usual "pack of ${mammal-like-mons}".

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Going by game dialogue and pokedex entries, I'd go with no additional letters - one Psyduck, two Psyduck.

Some evidence:
Spoiler:

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
Oh, I have another question for the mods here. What are the rules about shipping in fanfiction? I didn't see anything specifically about that in the rules. I know there shouldn't be sex or anything, but is non-canon romance, or shipping at all allowed?

Also, one forum I was on had a rule banning all fanfiction with same-sex romances, no matter how chaste they were. Does that apply here, too? I don't have any romance at all planned for my current fanfiction, but I'd like to know for the future.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Shipping stories are quite fine, and we don't have any restrictions on same-sex romances in writing too. Just as you said - no description on sex or anything like that.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
You want to know what you guys should start thinking about? That's right, the writing competition that's happening here soon!

Yes, this is shameless advertising, and you can probably tell I'm no salesman, but seriously, you guys should think about the writing competition. It will be fun!

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
Years
Yes, this section pleases me and my dark lord.

I'm new to this section, and will probably mostly be doing roleplays, as that is something I do off on a different forumsite. Does anyone know how the roleplaying shakes out in this forum? For instance typically, how much are you excepted to write in a post.

Anyways, I might post one of my stories or two that I've written, but I'm a little shy, so maybe in due time when I'm comfortable you guys won't kill me. Anyways, see you around.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Yes, this section pleases me and my dark lord.

I'm new to this section, and will probably mostly be doing roleplays, as that is something I do off on a different forumsite. Does anyone know how the roleplaying shakes out in this forum? For instance typically, how much are you excepted to write in a post.

Anyways, I might post one of my stories or two that I've written, but I'm a little shy, so maybe in due time when I'm comfortable you guys won't kill me. Anyways, see you around.
Roleplaying actually goes in this forum: link. You'll find all their rules and such there.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! If you write stories too, you might want to check out this awesome event in the Get Together: Small Writing Competition. It just started today and you have until the end of Friday to write a short story. I always say the best way to get over shyness is to dive right in!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Welcome aboard and I hope to see you around, SuperEspeon! It's always great to see new faces.

And yes, join the writing competition! I better see everyone there or else... umm... well, I'll think of a punishment later.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
So, yeah, I got a question. How much leeway is there for swearing in a fanfiction?
The rules say that you're allowed to have swears in your story, but they should be used sparingly. Make sure you have a content warning at the start of your story if there's language you wouldn't want a little kid to read.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the PokeCommunity has a swear filter that currently puts hearts over naughty words, like so: ♥♥♥♥. If it's important to you that the particular word is used, so that the sentence makes sense or so that it doesn't look worse than it is due to ambiguity, what I sometimes do is put an asterisk over one letter of the word, like so: B*lgium. In general though, you should be conservative about language. If you're using language to make the story seem more "mature," you're more likely making it less mature and being inappropriate for a forum where reading isn't age-restricted.

And what's that? Is it time for more shameless plug? Yes sir, it is! Small Writing Competition! Do it, people!

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I've been considering the SWC for some time, but I just couldn't think of something to write about. Hard to believe I was someone who used to love creative writing, too. :/

Braxien

Banned
Years
I've been considering the SWC for some time, but I just couldn't think of something to write about. Hard to believe I was someone who used to love creative writing, too. :/

My advice is to stay awake until it is late at night and drink a big cup of coffee.

Seems strange?

I did that last night, as I had a serious case of Writer's Block. In my opinion, I can write a smashing story as long as I am inspired. The problem is, it's difficult for me to become inspired. I just sat in my bedroom and waited, trying to think of something. Do this for a few nights, and you might get the next bestselling novel!

PS. Don't take too many nights to think or the Get Together will end and you'll start crying; I don't like tears.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
My advice is to stay awake until it is late at night and drink a big cup of coffee.

Seems strange?

I did that last night, as I had a serious case of Writer's Block. In my opinion, I can write a smashing story as long as I am inspired. The problem is, it's difficult for me to become inspired. I just sat in my bedroom and waited, trying to think of something. Do this for a few nights, and you might get the next bestselling novel!

PS. Don't take too many nights to think or the Get Together will end and you'll start crying; I don't like tears.

Thats what I'm going to do, minus the coffee, ew. I find it easy to get kinda inspired but it runs out quick.

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
Years
You know what I would do? I would just watch tv and let an idea hit me. Or you can watch movies or replay your favorite tv shows. Watching Bones and The Walking Dead always gives me some kind of ideas. But you know what really works? Playing Pokemon. There's always that something you want to happen, and it never does, and then your ideas branch from there. It's just how I roll people!

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
I'm sure nobody cares, but I've always found that the easiest way for me to get ideas was to read a bunch of stories and then pick out things that I thought I could do better.

Then I went ahead and tried to do those things better, and lo and behold, a new story was born!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
For me, ideas just kind of pop up in my mind, but it's related to what I'm reading/watching. And then there are those ideas that pop up for no reason, and I have no idea how they got there, but I'm not complaining.

ShivaDF said:
I'm sure nobody cares, but I've always found that the easiest way for me to get ideas was to read a bunch of stories and then pick out things that I thought I could do better.
That's what I do, sometimes! That, or think about how you would have done things differently. You just have to be sure that you're not ripping off the idea completely.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I can't force an idea. They just pop up at some point and I have scribbles on my phone's notepad app where I've outlined plots for several stories i never got around to write haha. Well, not yet!

Presently I'm working on a longer Doctor Who fanfiction. It's posted on another site since this didn't quite feel like the right forum for it ;) or?

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
Years
Im in the process of making a fan fiction where Oak has become a grumpy alcoholic because of his rejection by his one true love, Agatha, and Red abandoned him forever. Then our lovely protagonist comes a long and fixes ♥♥♥♥ up.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
I hope I can make it to the SWC deadline. But if not, I think I still have somewhat of a silly story to tell.

SuperEspeon said:
Oak has become a grumpy alcoholic because of his rejection by his one true love, Agatha,
I'm so totally into reading this.

Ideas are for the most part just born in my head like little rabbits Nidorans. That's not an issue until they get out of their burrows and start eating my other thoughts. Then I have to get them out of my head by writing them or else. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back