• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmin3033

Yeah, they have no relations with each other except the ones you mentioned. Though I was never planning to play them in that order to begin with, haha. Was only gonna hoard the series that interested me.
    Yeah, the cast carry overs are ridiculously small when compared to the Arland games. It gives a sense of a bigger world, but it doesn't feel as much a trilogy as it does three separate games set in the same world.
    If you get a Vita I recommend getting the Plus versions of Rorona, Totori and Meruru; they have a much more engaging cast, and a more complex alchemy system. Nastier deadlines and very easy to miss events, though.

Years
  • Yeah, the cast carry overs are ridiculously small when compared to the Arland games. It gives a sense of a bigger world, but it doesn't feel as much a trilogy as it does three separate games set in the same world.
    If you get a Vita I recommend getting the Plus versions of Rorona, Totori and Meruru; they have a much more engaging cast, and a more complex alchemy system. Nastier deadlines and very easy to miss events, though.

The plus versions of those have additional characters? Thought they were simply revamped versions of the original. Also, I believe they came out with a trilogy pack in Europe? Or maybe I absent-mindedly read the article wrong that one day...Either way, I'll get around to back-tracking on finding those games eventually. My backlog is daunting right now ;-;

pkmin3033

The plus versions of those have additional characters? Thought they were simply revamped versions of the original. Also, I believe they came out with a trilogy pack in Europe? Or maybe I absent-mindedly read the article wrong that one day...Either way, I'll get around to back-tracking on finding those games eventually. My backlog is daunting right now ;-;
    Additional characters and DLC from the PS3 versions included, plus some snazzy extras like costumes, murderously hard bosses (seriously, Meruru took this waaaaaay too far) and some new endings. Rorona Plus is an updated re-release of the original game: better graphics, an additional endgame scenario, playable Astrid, etc.

I wouldn't recommend the trilogy pack - it has the original Rorona in it, rather than the Plus version. The original Rorona is...buggy. At the time it was great, but that was six years(!) ago now and it feels quite dated next to the newer games.

Years
  • Additional characters and DLC from the PS3 versions included, plus some snazzy extras like costumes, murderously hard bosses (seriously, Meruru took this waaaaaay too far) and some new endings. Rorona Plus is an updated re-release of the original game: better graphics, an additional endgame scenario, playable Astrid, etc.

I wouldn't recommend the trilogy pack - it has the original Rorona in it, rather than the Plus version. The original Rorona is...buggy. At the time it was great, but that was six years(!) ago now and it feels quite dated next to the newer games.

That sounds worth it, though at the moment, I have plenty of other games I should be playing and have precedence over the Atelier series ;-; I need to get around to actually completing games before jumping onto another bandwagon before they start collecting dust, if they haven't already...Not to mention that I was originally hesitant in playing this series because of the time sensitive concept and sceptical of how the alchemy worked into the game, but Escha & Logy and Ayesha changed my mind c:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I don't think it really matters what order you play the Dusk series in; they're not really very connected to one another...well, there are a few characters who are in multiple games, but Escha & Logy doesn't really feel like a continuation of the story in the same way that Totori did for Rorona. That might be why I'm having issues getting attached to the cast, aha.
    I haven't started Meruru yet, so I can't speak for the whole Arland but I feel that the Dusk series is more connected.
    Totori doesn't really connect to Rorona, while in E&L, Ayesha's storyline is still main concern for returning characters.

That sounds worth it, though at the moment, I have plenty of other games I should be playing and have precedence over the Atelier series ;-; I need to get around to actually completing games before jumping onto another bandwagon before they start collecting dust, if they haven't already...Not to mention that I was originally hesitant in playing this series because of the time sensitive concept and sceptical of how the alchemy worked into the game, but Escha & Logy and Ayesha changed my mind c:
    On the other hand, E&L has oversimplified alchemy system.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I haven't started Meruru yet, so I can't speak for the whole Arland but I feel that the Dusk series is more connected.
    Totori doesn't really connect to Totori, while in E&L, Ayesha's storyline is still main concern for returning characters.

Totori doesn't connect to Rorona, you mean. xD;

I'd disagree with you there: Totori is a great continuation of Rorona. It opens Arland up brilliantly, and it keeps a link open by letting you visit all the old haunts from Rorona and including *most* of Rorona's cast.
    If anything, I'd say Meruru is the one that struggles to connect, because it's set in a small, isolated kingdom struggling to connect to the Arland Republic...but it has so many recurring characters (90% of Totori's cast, and the only ones of Rorona's that matter - Astrid, Sterk, Mimi and Rorona herself) it more than provides that link. Plus it's just so much more fun <3

Ayesha is all-but forgotten in Escha and Logy! Sure, Nio's all worried, but Wilbel doesn't seem to give a damn, and Threia's relationship to Keith is all-but ignored...she's far too busy researching stuff. I think Marion and Linca forgot they left the area initially. I don't get much of a sense of connection from Escha & Logy...mostly because the majority of the characters have been ditched, or seem to have a convenient amnesia of their time elsewhere.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Totori doesn't connect to Rorona, you mean. xD;
    Close enough xD

Ayesha is all-but forgotten in Escha and Logy! Sure, Nio's all worried, but Wilbel doesn't seem to give a damn, and Threia's relationship to Keith is all-but ignored...she's far too busy researching stuff. I think Marion and Linca forgot they left the area initially. I don't get much of a sense of connection from Escha & Logy...mostly because the majority of the characters have been ditched, or seem to have a convenient amnesia of their time elsewhere.
    Maybe it was because I was pretty fixated on Ayesha but I've seen more Ayesha references in E&L than Rorona ones in Totori =D
    Plus, even Miche is making many references to Ayesha and Keith even though he is not a recurring character =D
    Maybe we were just looking for different things? xD

pkmin3033

Maybe it was because I was pretty fixated on Ayesha but I've seen more Ayesha references in E&L than Rorona ones in Totori =D
    Plus, even Miche is making many references to Ayesha and Keith even though he is not a recurring character =D
    Maybe we were just looking for different things? xD
    Totori didn't need to make constant references to the events of Rorona...the majority of Rorona's cast was in the game! xD
    Probably; I just feel a greater connection when the characters are actually in the game...the references aren't enough; they're not really doing anything to add to the story, if you see what I mean? Asides from Linca, the characters from Ayesha in Escha & Logy aren't even playable either...well, unless you shell out for the DLC, but I'd be inclined to wait for the Plus version to be localized. xD

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Regarding the whole Ayesha -> Escha and Logy, on how well they connect with one another. I felt like that there was some kind of change in direction with how the plot was going to go, which led to a disconnect between the two games before Shallie came in and started tying everything up, or well trying.

Spoilers for Ayesha, Escha and Logy, and Shallie (?).
    Spoiler:

That's oversimplified? I thought the alchemy systems in Ayesha and Escha & Logy were pretty straight-forward, but at times tedious and complicated @.@ Kinda scared to see what the other games are like then...
    They certainly are easier than most titles in the series. Shallie is a tad more complicated than its predecessors though.

pkmin3033

That's oversimplified? I thought the alchemy systems in Ayesha and Escha & Logy were pretty straight-forward, but at times tedious and complicated @.@ Kinda scared to see what the other games are like then...
    The Arland trilogy place more of an emphasis on transferring properties, which often requires a lot of roundabout synthesis to get rid of things you don't want, which wasn't the case in E&L or Ayesha. Ayesha also let you get rid of properties you didn't want and directly copy properties, which made it ridiculously simple to get what you wanted. It's nowhere near as easy in the Arland trilogy, which require more precision. But then, the Dusk games developed the battle system quite a bit, so I guess the alchemy had to take a hit to compensate, otherwise you'd run out of time trying to craft the stuff you'd need to win. xD

It's also a lot harder to get higher quality items, and battle equipment is much more important than it is in Ayesha/E&L, which place more emphasis on useable items and their quality. Not sure about Shallie's focus, as I've not played it yet, aha.

pkmin3033

Going off on a wild tangent for a minute - anyone else with a PS4 as thrilled by the Yukimura update as I am? There isn't too much to it that I'll use, but I'll FINALLY get to delete my 0% trophy lists, of which I have a fair few.

Now all Sony need to do is release an update allowing Vita sub-accounts (because I really want to re-platinum certain digital titles, and locking a console to one account is stupid anyway) and I'll be content, haha.

...and I just got my hands on the Bloodborne OST. This will be the deciding factor in whether or not I stop pandering about and actually buy the game, funds be damned. xD

Years
  • They certainly are easier than most titles in the series. Shallie is a tad more complicated than its predecessors though.

The Arland trilogy place more of an emphasis on transferring properties, which often requires a lot of roundabout synthesis to get rid of things you don't want, which wasn't the case in E&L or Ayesha. Ayesha also let you get rid of properties you didn't want and directly copy properties, which made it ridiculously simple to get what you wanted. It's nowhere near as easy in the Arland trilogy, which require more precision. But then, the Dusk games developed the battle system quite a bit, so I guess the alchemy had to take a hit to compensate, otherwise you'd run out of time trying to craft the stuff you'd need to win. xD

It's also a lot harder to get higher quality items, and battle equipment is much more important than it is in Ayesha/E&L, which place more emphasis on useable items and their quality. Not sure about Shallie's focus, as I've not played it yet, aha.

Yep, that's oversimplified =D
    Especially when you have previous Ateliers finished =D

You guys are scaring me :c Once things start getting too complicated, I'll immediately give the game up and push it on to the backlog, haha. Terrible thing to do, I know, but having to deal with an overly complicated alchemy system is not my cup of tea.

pkmin3033

You guys are scaring me :c Once things start getting too complicated, I'll immediately give the game up and push it on to the backlog, haha. Terrible thing to do, I know, but having to deal with an overly complicated alchemy system is not my cup of tea.
    Well, it's only overly complicated if you're after the plat for the games; going all-out with synthesis isn't really required for the main story. It's just if you want to do everything in it that you'll need to invest some time into decent weapons and items. Especially for Meruru. Totori and Rorona (the original, not sure about the Plus version...it's on the backlog) are actually pretty easy throughout, aha.

To be honest, I don't think the extras in Ayesha Plus are much easier anyway...it took me months in-game to prepare for the four additional bosses, and I never, ever want to see them again. xD

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Akiba's Trip is coming to PC. Great news for me, because I was really indecisive as to which console to get it for (which, if it had PSTV support, probably would have been the Vita).

Though I don't know if I should feel particularly good about depriving my Vita of potential games, especially since I did the same with Hyperdimension Neptunia.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    The one game I want for Vita right now is Digimon Cyber Sleuth.

Hooope it gets localized. Might have a chance because of the anime, thankfully. I loved the DS Digimon games.

pkmin3033

I can't see Cyber Sleuth ever getting localized; they seem determined to ignore the Digimon fanbase outside of Japan. It'd be lovely if they did release it, even if it was just a digital release, but I doubt it'll happen. It might even be for the best, considering how awful the localization job for SAO: Hollow Fragment was...I'm not sure I trust Bamco to do a proper job of it.

...well, I guess it might be possible, as All-Star Rumble got a release as a way of testing the waters, but I have no idea how well that sold. Probably not well enough, though; sometimes companies have even more unreasonable expectations than fans do.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well, it's only overly complicated if you're after the plat for the games; going all-out with synthesis isn't really required for the main story. It's just if you want to do everything in it that you'll need to invest some time into decent weapons and items. Especially for Meruru. Totori and Rorona (the original, not sure about the Plus version...it's on the backlog) are actually pretty easy throughout, aha.

To be honest, I don't think the extras in Ayesha Plus are much easier anyway...it took me months in-game to prepare for the four additional bosses, and I never, ever want to see them again. xD

;-; I always try to Platinum my games, but there's always, always one bloody trophy that ruins everything.

anxiously waiting on bloodborne to arrive @__________________@

Did you pre-order a limited/collector's edition? o:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back