• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Wouldn't it be kinda okay to "faint" Ghost-type pokemon as well since...well..they're technically dead? XD

Jokes aside, what about the situation wherein you are attacked in the wild and you had to retaliate in defense? Ergo you're waltzing through a cave or desert so peacefully but some Diglett or Trapinch prevents you from doing so (assuming we're all out of pokeballs, too). A penalty probably would fit the theme.

And then there's the wrath of nature. We aren't really killing anything if some angry bird is just in a really bad mood, not allowing us to escape, and doesn't want to flee despite being pelted by hail or being sand-slapped every turn. lol.

Last edited:

Tek

Years
  • Jokes aside, what about the situation wherein you are attacked in the wild and you had to retaliate in defense? Ergo you're waltzing through a cave or desert so peacefully but some Diglett or Trapinch prevents you from doing so (assuming we're all out of pokeballs, too). A penalty probably would fit the theme.

That can be avoided pretty easily with a bit of preparation. All it takes is Repel, a little grinding*, and a supply of Poké Balls just in case (*see Training Time rule below).

The idea is to not leave any Pokémon laying around unconscious if it can be helped. The penalty rule comes in for those situations where you get caught off-guard. It's against the spirit of the challenge to use the penalty rule to apply to an entire species of Pokémon.

And then there's the wrath of nature. We aren't really killing anything if some angry bird is just in a really bad mood, not allowing us to escape, and doesn't want to flee despite being pelted by hail or being sand-slapped every turn. lol.

Are you referring to being Mean Look-ed? In that case, your best bet is to avoid encountering the Pokémon in the first place.

I think the penalty rule could be something like:

3- Every ten captures earns you one Oops. An Oops allows you to KO a wild Pokémon for any reason. After using an Oops, you must remain still for 60 seconds, to make sure the wild Pokémon safely regains consciousness. If you KO when you're out of Oops-es, you lose the challenge.

With this rule, we shouldn't need to add "intentional" to rule 1. If you play carefully, this ought to give plenty of leeway. Players could also start the game with five or ten Oopses, to help with those early captures. For a tougher challenge, you can give up the free Oopses at the beginning, and set a cap on how many Oopses you can have at any given time.

Gen V and previous games don't get capture EXP, so for those games there could be a Training Time rule:

4- During every hour of gameplay, you get ten minutes of Training Time, in which you may grind to your heart's content. Training Time is 'use it or lose it'; it does not accumulate. Training Time must be used all at once - you can't split it into smaller sessions. Finally, you may use your Training Time as soon as the in-game clock reaches XX:00 minutes, and you must end the session when the clock reaches XX:59 minutes (even if you've trained for less than ten minutes).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    how about a wedlocke, based on the story of Noah's Ark?
    only use couples of male & female of the same animal. for example, two dog-like pokemon.
    the main problem here is- if you only catch the 1st pokemon in an area, you'll never get two male& female of the same animal. so it'll be a mode where you must hack. maybe in this mode, you hack in a full team into your PC, and only use those pokemon, like in elimination locke.

Tek

Years
  • how about a wedlocke, based on the story of Noah's Ark?
    only use couples of male & female of the same animal. for example, two dog-like pokemon.
    the main problem here is- if you only catch the 1st pokemon in an area, you'll never get two male& female of the same animal. so it'll be a mode where you must hack. maybe in this mode, you hack in a full team into your PC, and only use those pokemon, like in elimination locke.

I wouldn't stick to wedlocke rules so strictly for this challenge. Just modify it so that whichever Pokémon you find first, you must also catch one of the opposite gender. No hacking required; this opens up the challenge to more people.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    hmm, that would work in a normal Wedlocke, cause any male/female can be a couple.
    but here, once you catch a pokemon- say a male zubat, you need a very specific pokemon, with a specific gender, to team-up with it. the right pokemon may not be available in the wild at all- the only other bat pokemon, woobat and noibat, are only found in gen5 and gen6 games. so basically, if you can't control which pokemon you get, you may be unable to make any couples.
    that's why I want it to be like an Egglocke, where you hack yourself a team of pokemon, so you can pick male&female of the same animal.
    as for people who don't know how to hack / don't wanna mess with this, I can make a save file with a full PC of pokemon, that people can download and play with.

alternatively, there's always the option to use 2 zubats together.
    but that sounds boring, limiting, and they have the same weaknesses, so they can't 'cover' for each other.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Idea, in celebration of ORAS,

The Contest Challenge

XY: Participant selects a pokemon in each category, per generation. Either the pokemon that best suits each category and/or their favorite "cute" pokemon. Whatever way the participant decides is fine! Lastly, the participant creates a sixth contest (sinister used as an example). After submitting their contest slip, a guest judge selects the winning pokemon in each category, the winners go on to be the challenger's team. Not sure if multiple judges would be too chaotic or not.

Not sure if there should be any specific rules for the actual challenge after the teams are assigned. For instance, cute pokemon must...and smart pokemon must...ect.

X/Y Example

Challenger's Nominees:

Cute: Raichu, Corsola, Delcatty, Gastrodon(w), Whimsicott, Slurpuff
    Cool: Rapidash, Kingdra, Manectric, Luxray, Serperior, Pyroar
    Beauty: Lapras, Meganium, Milotic, Roserade, Lilligant, Aurorus
    Smart: Jynx, Xatu, Gardevoir, Vespiquen, Volcarona, Florges
    Tough: Arcanine, Piloswine, Flygon, Garchomp, Samurott, Dragalge
    Sinister: Cloyster, Houndoom, Mightyena, Luxray, Mandibuzz, Gourgeist

Judge's Winners:

Cute: Whimsicott
    Cool: Luxray
    Beauty: Milotic
    Smart: Xatu
    Tough: Arcanine
    Sinister: Gourgeist

For previous versions to XY, the same would apply, except only three pokemon that are obtainable in the version must be listed, no more no less. The reason, if too many nominations are placed, then it's not as fun, especially in games with fewer options, like Sinnoh. The judge selects the winning entry among the 3 nominees of each category. Again, the challenger creates one category.

Short Example (hoenn)

Challenger's Nominee's:
    Beauty: Milotic, Altaria, Beautifly
    Cute: ...
    Judge's Winners:
    Beauty:Milotic
    Cute: ...

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tek

Rewy

untitled follower
    Years
  • As someone who used Milotic on Emerald for a challenge (I think it was Time Warp - the artsy era? Before the change.) I think that's quite masochistic to end up using it, especially on a physical copy and no way to trade and all that. Even though it is described as the most beautiful pokemon of all time in some pokemon entries.

I suppose there could be some clause of how hard to obtain the Judge's Winner should be?

Edit for clarification: I mean, you can put all your favorite things *almost bursts into song* ... but you can leave a last note of saying how "hard" you'd want that challenge to be. So you won't end up with a 200 hour berry growing spree on Hoenn games especially... ehheh...​

Last edited:
    Years
  • As someone who used Milotic on Emerald for a challenge (I think it was Time Warp - the artsy era? Before the change.) I think that's quite masochistic to end up using it, especially on a physical copy and no way to trade and all that. Even though it is described as the most beautiful pokemon of all time in some pokemon entries.

I suppose there could be some clause of how hard to obtain the Judge's Winner should be?

Edit for clarification: I mean, you can put all your favorite things *almost bursts into song* ... but you can leave a last note of saying how "hard" you'd want that challenge to be. So you won't end up with a 200 hour berry growing spree on Hoenn games especially... ehheh...​

But that would apply to EVERY challenge in hoenn. If you don't want to obtain a milotic, then the challenger should simply not nominate the pokemon.

There would be no need for any special notes or the like, that sort of defeats the point of a challenge since the challenger would be reducing the choices for the judge down to two pokemon.

But again, if you don't want to capture a milotic, list three other beautiful pokemon instead. Perhaps, Altaria, Gorebyss, Gardevoir, Delcatty, Beautifly, Vileplume, Absol, Roselia, Illumise, Dustox, Masquerain, Bellossom, Ninetales, Kingdra, Swellow, Starmie, and perhaps others depending upon tastes.

Thanks for suggestion. I understand the frustration of obtaining that milotic sometimes. (Last time though I caught a feebas on my third tile of water!!!)

Rewy

untitled follower
    Years
  • Thanks for suggestion. I understand the frustration of obtaining that milotic sometimes. (Last time though I caught a feebas on my third tile of water!!!)

It's not the catching (5 days of fishing here...), it's the evolution thing that'll kill the challenge mood most likely. I mean, I personally like to list things that I hate evolving, but I'm always hopeful to not get the hardest thing possible. I like challenge, but yeah... I'll just leave this here as an after thought.
    And well I wouldn't be able to get one in newer games anymore either, can't trade with anyone. Yay, I have no friends. :D

cscof

pretty coolish guy
    Years
  • Probably been suggested before, but how about one where all your pokemon have to be the same sort of animal? like if you choose dogs, you would have to use pokemon like mightyena and arcanine...

Years
  • I wanna start a big Challenge based on One Piece
    I have some ideas but I'm don't feel the Challenge is ready.

My ideas: Your party is your crew and they are your nakamas. Every Pokemon should represent a position, like doctor, navigator,... (6 of 9 Positions are available to choose)
    Every position gives the Pokemon 1 rule, f.e if you have a doctor you are allowed to heal your Pokemon.

The GymLeader/E4 are supposed to be the Marine/Schichibukai?/Yonkou

I wanna add some rules that should handle about the bounty, when and where to get your nakamas, ...

Additional rule: Life is hard. If a Pokemon faints it dies and is gone for ever.

if you have some ideas, i really would like to (hear?) read them ;)

sorry for my bad english..

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    What about an eevee challenge where you have to go through the whole game only using an eevee or its evolutions?

Bellum

I'm Rin. Rin Okumura.
    Years
  • I don't know if this is a challenge in it's own, but I thought I would try out the Moemon patch for fire red, and challenged myself to catch every pokemon, but only Females (kinda awkward having male pokemon that look like females) and give the pokemon creative names that would sound close to their pokemon name, that are a play on the pokemon name, and what I think would fit, but they all have to be female names. One example could be Raticate, nicknamed Rati-Kate as a play on Raticates name. This explanation is rather confusing I think xD

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • This is a bit of a side-quest but what about a "no-switch" Battle Factory Challenge? We could see how long we last without ever switching Pokemon. This would work on Emerald, Platinum, HGSS and *hopefully* ORAS when it comes out.

Tek

Years
  • This is a bit of a side-quest but what about a "no-switch" Battle Factory Challenge? We could see how long we last without ever switching Pokemon. This would work on Emerald, Platinum, HGSS and *hopefully* ORAS when it comes out.

I dig it. It would be shorter than a traditional challenge run, which could be nice. Heck, you could probably come up with a challenge for each facility, thinking in this way.

I've been pondering a new challenge style, as well.

If you don't want to start a new game, you could do an Around the World variant: pick a Lv 5 Pokémon to be your [starter], go to the starting town, and journey to all parts of the region using Pokémon you catch along the way. You should partake in re-battles and battle facilities often, and challenge the E4 to finish up!

Do ya'll think something like this could work, and would be fun and/or challenging?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Do ya'll think something like this could work, and would be fun and/or challenging?
    For sure! That definitely works as a setting for a challenge that would be somewhere between the length of a proper challenge and one of the smaller post game challenges. The way it is now, though, it would be kinda bland. So if you or someone else can find a reasonable set of requirements for someone starting from that point that would make the challenge interesting and fun, it would definitely work.

Tek

Years
  • For sure! That definitely works as a setting for a challenge that would be somewhere between the length of a proper challenge and one of the smaller post game challenges. The way it is now, though, it would be kinda bland. So if you or someone else can find a reasonable set of requirements for someone starting from that point that would make the challenge interesting and fun, it would definitely work.

I see what you mean. The way I picture it is as a 'meta-challenge', so to speak.

For example, with my NAM&F challenge, you would abide by the challenge's standard rules, but instead of starting a new game, you're sort of doing a victory lap around the region with an all-new team. You could easily do an Around the World variant of Monocolor and Monotype challenges. I think it would work with Nuzlocke-type challenges as well, maybe.

A restriction that should pretty much be mandatory IMO is no Rare Candy. I could see implementing some restrictions on how money is spent and how TMs are used, as a (possibly optional?) way to make the challenge more difficult. If you really want it tough, you could ban all items except Poke Ball, Heal Ball, and Premier Ball.

Seems like some test runs are probably needed to work out the bugs :]

EDIT: after talking with my roommate a bit, I think the hardest part of the challenge might be leveling your team enough to battle the E4, since there will be far fewer trainer battles. Also, it seems like you could start out with a full team instead of catching Pokémon along the way, depending on which challenge you're doing ( e.g. The Ones That Got Away, Random Pokémon challenge). Needs testing, I think.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I see what you mean. The way I picture it is as a 'meta-challenge', so to speak.

For example, with my NAM&F challenge, you would abide by the challenge's standard rules, but instead of starting a new game, you're sort of doing a victory lap around the region with an all-new team. You could easily do an Around the World variant of Monocolor and Monotype challenges. I think it would work with Nuzlocke-type challenges as well, maybe.

A restriction that should pretty much be mandatory IMO is no Rare Candy. I could see implementing some restrictions on how money is spent and how TMs are used, as a (possibly optional?) way to make the challenge more difficult. If you really want it tough, you could ban all items except Poke Ball, Heal Ball, and Premier Ball.

Seems like some test runs are probably needed to work out the bugs :]

EDIT: after talking with my roommate a bit, I think the hardest part of the challenge might be leveling your team enough to battle the E4, since there will be far fewer trainer battles. Also, it seems like you could start out with a full team instead of catching Pokémon along the way, depending on which challenge you're doing ( e.g. The Ones That Got Away, Random Pokémon challenge). Needs testing, I think.
    What you could do is have a base set of rules displayed, and then include a few pre made "modules" of suggested rules, but also let people add their own variants. This would be very similar to the concept of the ORAS Demo Challenges thread I posted where the point is to post challenges you're doing just for that game, since it will be much shorter than a traditional full Pokemon game.

Tek

Years
  • What you could do is have a base set of rules displayed, and then include a few pre made "modules" of suggested rules, but also let people add their own variants. This would be very similar to the concept of the ORAS Demo Challenges thread I posted where the point is to post challenges you're doing just for that game, since it will be much shorter than a traditional full Pokemon game.

I see what you mean. For now, I've submitted a thread that is a basic Around the World challenge. I'll do a run and see how it plays, go from there.

I could imagine there being separate threads for this type of challenge, if they're a lot different. Sort of like the 'locke challenges, I suppose.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back