• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Kalos League Speculation Thread

Years
  • Ash losing doesn't faze me anymore, I'm mostly just watching these episodes for the sake of the animation and Pokemon battles.

But on to Ash's Semi-Final round battle, other than Pikachu, Greninja and Goodra, I doubt the rest of the team will get any wins, maybe Noivern if its lucky. Hawlucha getting to beat Mega Absol seems like the type of thing they'd do to give it at least one win before jobbing it out here and Talonflame will be lucky to even get to last 5 minutes. Greninja will sweep half Shota's team, like Charizard and Infernape, Pikachu could lose without a win but it probably won't and they wouldn't have Goodra not get even a single win its its first battle back. Shota's Salamence will probably be his mid-game boss so to speak, in the way that Drapion was in the full battle during the Sinnoh League, and it'll probably fall to Goodra in a Pseudo Legend vs Pseudo Legend battle. Ideally Ash could beat Shota with at least 1/3 of his team left to enforce that he's still a good deal above of him but I doubt that'd happen.

For Ash vs Alain, other than Metagross and Charizard, most of Alain's team will probably just get crushed but only after providing enough difficulty to wear out Ash's team.

pkmin3033

Wait, why is there a Lucario on there? If Ash loses to another Lucario - assuming he beats Sawyer, which is a pretty big assumption - I think I've just about had it with the anime...

Years
  • Alain won't have a Lucario, besides that episode happens weeks after the Kalos League could possibly conclude. Though I can see Alain having a Chesnaught for the fact that it has yet to have a major appearance and it'd be a nice nod to his companion from the ME specials in the same vein that Metagross is a nod to Steven.

Years
  • It appears this new batch of episode titles have given away the league's outcome:

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    It appears this new batch of episode titles have given away the league's outcome:

Spoiler:

Either that, or it's just to draw attention to the episode and Ash will lose the league as usual, like with the Date episode in XY or the Hoso episode where the title claimed Misty was going to do a life-risking maneuver similar to when she took Poison Sting for Gyarados when in reality she never actually risked her life at all. That said, I do definitely hope that Ash will actually win the Kalos League this time around.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Hmm. Three new episodes have been reveled. It looks like the last episode was a Prepping for the Finals episode. If I had to guess, it is also probably a flash back of all his leagues.

Spoiler:

Edit: Wasn't paying attention and someone beat me to it.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    The Harimaron episode in XY&Z36 is probably just setting up for Team Flare, since that particular arc starts right after the League. I'm assuming that Satoshi vs. Alan starts just at the end of that episode to start the battle in the next two.

More importantly, with a title called "Satoshi's Ultimate Match!!", I'm thinking that – regardless of the outcome – this is meant to be the big Satoshi and Alan battle. Pokéfan makes no mention of any huge confrontation between Satoshi and Alan when Team Flare begins (in fact, Alan is pretty clearly seen on Satoshi's side in the scan). It's the finals of the Kalos League, Alan's entire team is coming out (4/6s of it revealed already), Satoshi-Gekkouga is as perfected as it'll ever be, and there are two episodes set aside for the battle. The writers went out of their way to set up Alan's participation in the League and then hyped it as a huge rival battle, so I don't see the logic in throwing all of it away just have Satoshi and Alan battle again later.

And, honestly, Alan winning the League outright makes no sense to me. The character, as explicitly set up by the writers, has no interest in the Kalos League in and of itself. He was only ever in it to fight Satoshi and collect Mega Evolution energy. There's nowhere for Alan to go with a League win. And that wouldn't be a problem if Alan were like Takuto, Virgil, or Tetsuya, someone who only shows up long enough to beat Satoshi, win the League, and then disappear from the series forever. Alan will be around at least long enough to see Team Flare defeated, so where is he supposed to go from there? I just can't see him winning this. If Satoshi truly isn't meant to win, then I'm thinking it'll be because Team Flare interrupts the whole thing.

But again, with a title like "Kalos League Victory! Satoshi's Ultimate Match!!", I'm going to go ahead and assume that Satoshi will do the impossible and take the win. The story around this League has been pointing in that direction, and there's really no reason not to pull the trigger this time. But we'll just have to wait and see…

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    The Harimaron episode in XY&Z36 is probably just setting up for Team Flare, since that particular arc starts right after the League. I'm assuming that Satoshi vs. Alan starts just at the end of that episode to start the battle in the next two.

More importantly, with a title called "Satoshi's Ultimate Match!!", I'm thinking that – regardless of the outcome – this is meant to be the big Satoshi and Alan battle. Pokéfan makes no mention of any huge confrontation between Satoshi and Alan when Team Flare begins (in fact, Alan is pretty clearly seen on Satoshi's side in the scan). It's the finals of the Kalos League, Alan's entire team is coming out (4/6s of it revealed already), Satoshi-Gekkouga is as perfected as it'll ever be, and there are two episodes set aside for the battle. The writers went out of their way to set up Alan's participation in the League and then hyped it as a huge rival battle, so I don't see the logic in throwing all of it away just have Satoshi and Alan battle again later.

And, honestly, Alan winning the League outright makes no sense to me. The character, as explicitly set up by the writers, has no interest in the Kalos League in and of itself. He was only ever in it to fight Satoshi and collect Mega Evolution energy. There's nowhere for Alan to go with a League win. And that wouldn't be a problem if Alan were like Takuto, Virgil, or Tetsuya, someone who only shows up long enough to beat Satoshi, win the League, and then disappear from the series forever. Alan will be around at least long enough to see Team Flare defeated, so where is he supposed to go from there? I just can't see him winning this. If Satoshi truly isn't meant to win, then I'm thinking it'll be because Team Flare interrupts the whole thing.

But again, with a title like "Kalos League Victory! Satoshi's Ultimate Match!!", I'm going to go ahead and assume that Satoshi will do the impossible and take the win. The story around this League has been pointing in that direction, and there's really no reason not to pull the trigger this time. But we'll just have to wait and see…

Agreed with all of that. That being said, Under the Pledging Tree explicitly mentioned in it's Japanese title that Ash and Serena were going to go on a date, yet it was absolutely nothing like that, so we can't rule out the possibility that it's going to be a trick title, even though I strongly hope that Ash actually win a game league, just for ONCE, especially after all the times he was cheated out of a victory in Unova and even to some extent Sinnoh (where the only reason he lost is because the stupid writers procrastinated on actually GETTING to the Pokémon League until it was far too late to nab him a win, even though he did improve compared to Hoenn where he stayed the same rank as in Johto.).

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Someone on Twitter said him winning the league would make sense with the possible "no gyms in Alola and you are setting up the league" leak from Sun & Moon.

So Ash goes to Alola as the champion of Kalos and sets up a league.

Years
  • Spoiler:

All Alain needs is to have a Kalos Pokemon and a Unova Pokemon and he'll have a mon from all 6 of the regions Ash has traveled to so far. So if Ash wins, than that would be nice symbolism, but if he loses, which he probably will, it'll be like all 6 of those regions uniting to give him one last humiliation before he heads to Alola.

I would prefer Ash won but seeing Alain win even though he had no interest in the league itself is the type of thing I could totally see happening.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Although it would be nice for Ash to set up an Elite 4 himself and gyms. It makes little to no sense. Especially taking gyms out of the Pokemon Games. It just a stupid idea. I know people say things are repetitive, but I think it is a mistake to remove something like that. Not to mention we still have 8 silhouettes of people in the very first trailer that are in a pokemon battle stance. If they take gyms out of the anime, I'd rather they just reset the saga and start with all new people.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    Since Alan is linked to Team Flare somewhat, Ash could still lose and Alan come out as the winner with Team Flare's story showcasing their triumphs along with trying to reach the Zygarde ultimate form. Or Ash could win and something happen to Squishy during the closing ceremony to start up the Team Flare story. It is going to be interesting

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2017
    A few days left then we will get the results of kalos league finals and I think ash is gonna win this time

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • I personally think Ash stands a strong chance of winning the league this time around. And I think because Alola has no gyms and no elite 4 thus having no Alola league, it means his adventure would be different and it wouldn't be just a redo of his Kalos adventure. I don't know what that would mean for future anime seasons (such as if Gen 8 brings back the old Gym formula) but for now Alola is going to be different, meaning his Kalos league victory would enable him to help build the elite 4 in Alola etc etc. Plus Ash winning the league doesn't mean he's the champion.

BUT - I also think it could be a draw. Meaning he still gets that sort of "win" or at least advancement on his previous league accomplishments but he isn't limited with choosing his next path because it wasn't a win.

I hope that first part made sense lol. tl;dr I think Ash could win because Alola's league is non existent and it would mean he achieves part of his dream.

Years
  • Perriechu's point is one I can easily support since Alola has no traditional Gyms which would mean Ash's journey will be very different. If anything, I could see it actually being more like the Orange Islands which also had Gyms but not done in the traditional way, instead involving having to complete challenges (which is what Alola's Island Trials are likely based on) but Ash will still eventually end with an anime-only League competition similar to all the other regions.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I also have to agree. I think it is possible for a tie. But I am thinking sense Alola is so similar to Orange Islands, I think there will be some sort of League. It is also possible that he my compete in the World Tournament.

For me, I don't think he will beat Diantha. She wasn't using her full power in the one episode where he faints. He may beat the Elite 4, and I am almost certain he will battle Melvah and beat her.

He might go to Alola for training while doing a traditional way of things.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2017
    i think Ash might not face Malva probably after all the Zygarde stuff happens Diantha finds out about who she works for and kick her from the E4 so we might see a Diantha Malva battle happening :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    It seems as though Ash could win against the Mega user, because maga evolution are not yet a thing for Alola region.. even Zygarde has different forms to go along with Alola direction. ZYGARDE even seems to get an ultimate Z attack.

I think the main concern is around what and if any characters will appear from Alola in the next few episodes.

Back