• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Kalos League Speculation Thread

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    Pokemon has become a world involved iconic series, so The anime is not in trouble. It has new writers and Yo Kai seems to be a more childish rendition to get kids involved. Though these past two decades are the true generation for pokemon, it will need to continue on.. so let yo kai be a stepping stone into the genre.

As far as the league, I do see Ash winning the league and moving onto the next journey, but staying a main character. My question is what will be the fate of Greninja. There has been such a huge focus on Ash's connection to it, so I don't see it just chilling out at Prof. Oak's.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I found the scans people have been talking about. The league should be one of the most exciting ever, especially if they make the Diancie Movie canon with the girl and the mega absol. So this is what I am thinking.

Top 64 - Ash vs New trainer. (Or guy from the Battle Chatue. The guy who has a Flechinder or something)
    Top 32 - Ash vs Mega Garchomp Guy
    Top 16 -Ash vs random trainer
    Top 8 - Ash vs Astrid
    Top 4 - Ash vs Shota
    Finals - Ash vs Alain (Battle interrupted and thus begins Team Flare's Movement

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    That;s super interesting. I hope one of the opponents has an Alola region pokemon.

and I hope the Team Flare story is brief

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    With Alain saying he wanted badges so he could fight Ash in the final round of the league, I'm betting this happens. MY guess is that Flare's interrupting the match, and the league gets cancelled or rescheduled. It's looking to be pretty good though, so I can't wait.

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
    Years
  • While it's not yet fully confirmed that the trainer that Alain is mentioning is Ash, I'm surprised with his motivation for entering the league because his goal is to defeat every ME trainers or ME Pokémon with his Charizard, yet, he's targeting a non-ME trainer... But it's good for him though, since he will surely encounter some ME trainers like Trevor... I also prefer Alain to be Ash's conqueror should he lose rather than another "Tobias"...

For Tierno, I'm somewhat disappointed with the way he's being treated right now... He will never have a chance to have a league battle with Ash, knowing that he's one of the main rivals (along with Alain and Sawyer)... And he has no ME Pokémon, even though he has a Blastoise on hand...

For Trevor, I'm glad that they let him own a Mega Charizard Y... He's searching for "rare" Pokémons anyway, he might think that his Charizard is rare...

For Sawyer, since his goal is beating Ash, he already "achieved" his goal in a way... It's time for Ash to give him a lesson... He's always seen preparing strategies with some data he saw and is too focus with those data, but if he's in an unfamiliar situation (e.g. 1st Valerie match, 1st Ash-Greninja encounter) he's always in trouble, so a lesson can be made from that (e.g. Ash has Goodra as his 6th, Ash-Greninja is now perfect, Talonflame, or even Pikachu at his best shape)... Or another lesson (since this is a show intended for younger audience, it can be possible) which focuses with their goal (e.g. Ash's goal is to become a Pokémon master > Sawyer's goal is to beat Ash)...

Anyway, I expect Ash in Top 2, if not winning the Lumiose Conference... Should he win, 1 of the E4 (probably Drasna) might challenge him (and gets interrupted because of TF)... And then after the TF arc, an exhibition 6v6 match between Kalos League Champion Diantha and Honor of Kalos Awardee Ash...

Years
  • Apparently Alain is going to take part.

Gee. I wonder who Ash is going to lose to. Out of all the trainers competing in the Kalos League, I wonder who it could possibly be.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2016
    Alain in the finals. Can't get more obvious than that. And he will have his so awaited rematch in the TF Arc where he will have to beat some sense into Alain's head

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I don't know who else Alain would want to battle he has beaten everyone at full power for the most part, other than one of the Elite 4 and Ash. He beat Ash 2 times, but both times, Greninja hadn't been fully powered up.

And just because Alain is in the League, doesn't mean Ash will lose. Ash has never lost to anyone in the league he has lost to outside of the league. Alain will probably be defeated. The only one I can see defeating Ash is Sawyer, and even then I am not fully convinced.

I am still thinking the league will be cancel in some for or another.

I am pretty sure it is too late for another Tobias to appear. If Tierno is battling Sawyer for a Semi final potion, that mean 2 other trainers will be fighting. Ash and Alain. Although I would much rather see Alain and Ash in the finals.

It is more likely that the League will be canceled than another Tobias to come up.

Edit: I made a mistake. I typed as if Tierno and Sawyer were already in the Semi Finals, but they aren't. That means 3 other trainers would have to make it in the the Semi Finals. Sawyer and Ash and Alain and someone else are probably the semi final matches.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I still don't think Ash will be removed. I think my idea about having to journeys going on at once is still a better way to handle it. But I wouldn't mind it if they made it more story oriented. Pokemon is still neck and neck with Yo-Kai Watch in some weeks with still over 3.3m viewers. And Pokemon is still extremely popular in the united states. And I can tell that for a fact by how much pokemon stuff is being sold so quickly and by how many times I see kids looking at pokemon stuff that are a good amount younger than me. While Yo-Kai still suffers miserably in the US But I am sick of talking about ratings for Pokemon when really it means nothing for Japan. Especially when they continue to make shows that get less that 2m viewers.

Most of those series you alluded to at least managed to get decent sales, while if IrregularMaverickZ is to be believed, Pokémon merchandising sales in Japan are awful (not to mention the box office receipts for the movies. In fact, the Hoopa movie managed to actually beat out Pokémon Heroes as the worst performing Pokémon film EVER).

And BTW, if ratings truly mean nothing, why even bother posting them? They exist for a reason. And besides, the Love Hina anime got prematurely cancelled largely BECAUSE of bad ratings.

They definitely should make the anime more story oriented, though, and if they do end up keeping Ash for the Aloha region, they'd better bring Misty back (it's a perfect opportunity anyways. First primarily-water-based region since Hoenn, the promise of finding a lot of water Pokémon, and a chance to allow Misty to actually CONTINUE her stated goal instead of being forced by her sisters to work at the gym. Not to mention it's going to be the 20th Anniversary of the anime anyhow, so what better than to have Misty, an original member of the series, actually come back by that point [they'd need to do something far bigger than a 20th anniversary special in any case]. In fact, I'd even argue that the release of that GEM Misty figure alongside Ash may have been foreshadowing Misty's return. Brock hasn't gotten a GEM figure, not even in his original series depiction, and the only other characters besides herself and OS-era Ash to get a GEM figure are Team Rocket, and even then, considering their uniforms, BW aside, are pretty much the only constant in this series. And I find it suspicious that they are releasing it now especially when they haven't even gotten to the actual 20th anniversary of the anime [right now it's the 20th anniversary of the games, next year is the 20th anniversary of the Anime].). Oh, and actually HAVE Ash age this time around. They might keep the girl character depending on whether she matches the criteria, but if they can't have her, they definitely should bring back Misty, since let's face it, she definitely needs to actually complete her goal or at least have the promise of doing so, considering she alongside Max are the only mains who HAVEN'T completed their goals or even been given an opportunity to do so (Misty was forced to leave for the gym by her sisters, and Max is underage, and thanks to the writers' stupid insistence on making the characters Ageless even with explicit references to time passing, we can NEVER hope for Ash to fight him, or for Max to actually become a trainer). Besides, May's voice actress quit the profession and became a pop idol a'la Hillary Duff (not to mention even if she didn't, Alola most likely won't have any contests anyhow), and it's unlikely Dawn will really have much use in Alola especially considering there aren't likely to be any Pokémon Contests there. And Serena's most likely going to leave the series anyways (if they couldn't keep Iris despite Best Wishes' promising a fresh start, they definitely won't keep Serena), and it's not even clear if Showcases will even BE in Alola, so it's probably not worth keeping her in. And Iris is so far the only girl who hasn't made ANY cameos in the current region as of yet, and if they don't do it now, they probably won't ever have her cameo.

In any case, if Ash really is going for the semi-finals in XYZ033, that means if Ash beats Sawyer, we've got at LEAST one more episode of the league due to that being focused on the finals, and if he wins (which he most likely is), he'll gain access to the Kalos Elite 4. There definitely has to be a reason why they're airing the league right now instead of, say, in October or even November. This league's definitely going to be better than the Sinnoh League (especially when it's pretty obvious the only reason Ash didn't win the league there was because the writers had procrastinated for far too long), and certainly better than Unova. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Most of those series you alluded to at least managed to get decent sales, while if IrregularMaverickZ is to be believed, Pokémon merchandising sales in Japan are awful (not to mention the box office receipts for the movies. In fact, the Hoopa movie managed to actually beat out Pokémon Heroes as the worst performing Pokémon film EVER).

For Gods sake --

http://amrankings.tumblr.com/post/145790473976/tv-tokyos-most-profitable-anime-april-2015-to

Pokemon still in Top 5 position specially considering there are so many animes in TV Tokyo.

However , Ash losing the Kalos league would be the worst idea now.
    People already deem Ash a failure compare to Red as a Protagonist.
    What gonna happen if A Spin-off Protagonist like Alain wins the League ? The last thing writers need is people comparing Ash with both Red and Alain.
    Specially considering that ALL POKEMON MANGA PROTAGONIST are more stronger and more accomplish then Ash and now we have OTHER POKEMON ANIME PROTAGONIST who also stronger and accomplish then Ash.
    Also , Ash losing to Shota is even worst idea ! I mean , Writer already ruined Unova league so are they also plan to ruin Kalos League.
    Its Sad enough that Ash's Semi-final opporent will be Shota and he big accomplishment in Kalos League might be beating Shota.
    Beating Paul was an achievement but there is no achievement in beating Shota. It would be just humiliating for Ash to lose to Shota.
    Shota already got free Keystone , Mega Sceptile , Pseudo-legendary and better team then Ash ! He already got enough special treatment.
    If Director/writer/producers are little bit considerate then they will never let nether Alain or Shota beat Ash. Unless they are totally blinded by their love for Alain and Shota.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    For Gods sake --

http://amrankings.tumblr.com/post/145790473976/tv-tokyos-most-profitable-anime-april-2015-to

Pokemon still in Top 5 position specially considering there are so many animes in TV Tokyo.

So why did IrregularMaverickZ state it was performing horribly in terms of sales?

However , Ash losing the Kalos league would be the worst idea now.
    People already deem Ash a failure compare to Red as a Protagonist.
    What gonna happen if A Spin-off Protagonist like Alain wins the League ? The last thing writers need is people comparing Ash with both Red and Alain.
    Specially considering that ALL POKEMON MANGA PROTAGONIST are more stronger and more accomplish then Ash and now we have OTHER POKEMON ANIME PROTAGONIST who also stronger and accomplish then Ash.
    Also , Ash losing to Shota is even worst idea ! I mean , Writer already ruined Unova league so are they also plan to ruin Kalos League.
    Its Sad enough that Ash's Semi-final opporent will be Shota and he big accomplishment in Kalos League might be beating Shota.
    Beating Paul was an achievement but there is no achievement in beating Shota. It would be just humiliating for Ash to lose to Shota.
    Shota already got free Keystone , Mega Sceptile , Pseudo-legendary and better team then Ash ! He already got enough special treatment.
    If Director/writer/producers are little bit considerate then they will never let nether Alain or Shota beat Ash. Unless they are totally blinded by their love for Alain and Shota.

The bit about the Kalos League I'll definitely agree with. It would be a very stupid idea to have him lose the league especially after the disaster that was Unova.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Shōta won't beat Satoshi. He already got his victory in XY&Z026 and "caught up" to him there, and there'd be no point to that episode if the writers were going to have Satoshi lose again in the League. This is the battle where Satoshi redeems himself from that loss. Plus, he would still have to face Alan, who decided to join the Kalos League for the purpose of facing Satoshi again.

I don't know if I can see Satoshi losing to Alan again, either. A common idea is that Alan is taking the place of the Takuto-esque "trainer who shows up at the end to knock Satoshi out of the League". But Satoshi and Alan have already battled three times, Alan won the first two times, and the third was unfinished, but with Satoshi clearly having the upper-hand at that point. Satoshi has to win one of these battles at some point.

Granted, Satoshi could lose to Alan again in the League and then finally beat him in the Team Flare climax. But the Alan-Corni exchange in the latest episode kind of points to their final battle being in the League. Alan joined the whole thing because he wanted to face Satoshi (and he fully believes Satoshi will make it to the top), they'll likely have a full battle where we see all of Alan's team, and Satoshi-Gekkouga is finally perfected this time around. It seems strange to build a battle up, just have to have Satoshi lose it and then win in yet another battle down the road.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • The only real way I can see Alain beating Ash is if they both go to Alola, which is possible. I am expecting to see info of the new anime before XYZ ends.

I really can't see Ash losing to Sawyer, unless both go to Alola as well. And I am very seriously doubting that Alain will lose before he gets to the finals, unless he is defeated by Ash before then.

Ash I have said, I can she the League being canceled before the final battle more than I see Ash losing to one of the two.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    So why did IrregularMaverickZ state it was performing horribly in terms of sales?

Who care what IrregularMaverickZ thinks ! The Official Financial sheet from TV Tokyo confirm that Pokemon is in 5th spot in Top sales.
    It nowhere near cancellation .

Also , I didn't had worry about Kalos League arc if Director/Writer weren't so inconsiderate!
    But , They keep proven themselves inconsiderate every single time.
    I mean , They created the worthless Unova League that everyone hate all because they wanted to avenge their precious Trip.
    Then They Kick out goodra in XY Series ! Did they even consider how we feel if Ash forced release goodra when IRIS GET TO KEEP A FREAKING FREE DRAGONITE .
    They are more considerate about Iris then they are about Ash!
    So , I can't hope anything good for Ash in Kalos League as long as his inconsiderate fools handle the Anime.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Who care what IrregularMaverickZ thinks ! The Official Financial sheet from TV Tokyo confirm that Pokemon is in 5th spot in Top sales.
    It nowhere near cancellation .

Considering IrregularMaverickZ is a guy who, based on some choice of words of his, indicated he was either Japanese himself or otherwise pretty fluent in the culture, and either way definitely had knowledge on the sales market there considering he mentioned the fact that Bandai's list had Pokémon ranking very low for some time now, I'd definitely take him at his word there, especially when the show's marketability has to do with sales merchandising, and if Bandai's list indicates it's giving out poor sales, that's grounds for cancellation from what I understand of the matter. Besides, you yourself agreed with his arguments as well from your past posts.

Also , I didn't had worry about Kalos League arc if Director/Writer weren't so inconsiderate!
    But , They keep proven themselves inconsiderate every single time.
    I mean , They created the worthless Unova League that everyone hate all because they wanted to avenge their precious Trip.
    Then They Kick out goodra in XY Series ! Did they even consider how we feel if Ash forced release goodra when IRIS GET TO KEEP A FREAKING FREE DRAGONITE .
    They are more considerate about Iris then they are about Ash!
    So , I can't hope anything good for Ash in Kalos League as long as his inconsiderate fools handle the Anime.

In all fairness, though, it's more likely Ash is going to beat Sawyer, and from the looks of it, he may even beat Alain. In fact, I'd argue the writers may have indeed learn their lesson.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I don't know why me or anyone else has seen this. At least I don't think we have. Someone may have and I just haven't yet. But this is a trailer of the League in on the official Japanese Pokemon Youtube Channel. It was posted on June 2nd.

It confirms that Ash will be facing Sawyer in the League. So it will probably be in the Semi Finals. And if that is the case, well then, Ash will move on to the finals mos tlikely. Because it seems like they are building up to a show down between Alain and Ash. And Alain is smiling while watching a battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeyVL5FCCM8

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • It confirms that Ash will be facing Sawyer in the League. So it will probably be in the Semi Finals. And if that is the case, well then, Ash will move on to the finals mos tlikely. Because it seems like they are building up to a show down between Alain and Ash. And Alain is smiling while watching a battle.

...Semifinals, huh?

I really hope Ash makes it to final round, and we get a battle between Ash and Alain. That's all I want out of the Kalos League, and if it doesn't happen, I will very unhappy with the anime. ...Man, Ash getting in the finals. Feels like a dream for some reason.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • ...Semifinals, huh?

I really hope Ash makes it to final round, and we get a battle between Ash and Alain. That's all I want out of the Kalos League, and if it doesn't happen, I will very unhappy with the anime. ...Man, Ash getting in the finals. Feels like a dream for some reason.

I am almost 100% sure he does. With Alain smiling, then walking a way while what it seems like is watching a battle, that tells me that Ash will beat Sawyer.

Years
  • Generally speaking, Pikachu has generally been quite central to Ash's team and gimmick so far, while his current team seems designed to marginalise Pikachu. In that sense, a win would perhaps be ill-advised as his character arc goes, and generally speaking his recent loss to a Gym leader might also make it seem unconvincing.

Usually, a plot-line which highlights this and perhaps implies some conflict with Pikachu's being neglected - despite presumably having some sort of reaction to battles and how they occur, it has had almost no development since the original series, and this League provides a good opportunity - after their general history and starter position might be optimal to defuse this League. Otherwise, they're probably looking for a smooth transition into the S&M series, if such is planned, given that promotion for that is already central and hence they probably don't want to distract from that too much, or are more likely to go in the direction of building up to a new series due to the anniversary thing and so on, which the new games are in part to commemorate.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • So we finally have confirmation that Ash's first real episode for a battle will be in the Semifinals. Not only does this confirm that he will most likely go to the finals due to the fact that this is his first real episode, it also confirms they are rushing the League. Rushing the League like they are, I am pretty sure that means Ash will most likely be going to Alola. He might be chasing Team Flare or someone. He could also be going there if the league was cancelled or something. Like we have mentioned in the last few weeks of talking about this.

Episode 930: Semifinal Full Battle! Ash VS Sawyer!!
    Episode 931: Fierce Rival Battle! Ash Greninja VS Mega Sceptile

Back