• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

slls81

What does that even mean?
Years
And Red is done! Beat the Elite 4 (Using a LOT of Max Potions/Revives), and now ready to move onto Gold!

Team at end of game:

Farfeth'd (Dux)
Level 47
-Slash
-Peck
-Swords Dance
-Cut
Spr_1b_085.png

Dodrio
Level 46
-Drill Peck
-Rage
-Fury Attack
-Tri Attack

Gyarados
Level 48
-Hydro Pump
-Strength
-Surf
-Dragon Rage
Spr_1b_018.png

Pidgeot
Level 47
-Fly
-Quick Attack
-Agility
-Wing Attack

Butterfree
Level 46
-Psychic
-Swift
-Supersonic
-Toxic
Spr_1b_148.png

Dragonair
Level 50
-Dragon Rage
-Thunder
-Slam
-Blizzard

n.b. I realise that Dragonair isn't Flying, but Dragonite is part Flying. I was originally planning to evolve it, but I got bored :P

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2009
May I try this with Psychic? I want to see how hard, or easy, Pokemon Red will be!

I started with Squirtle and beat Brock, went through Mt. Moon and owned my rival and the Nugget Bridge. After ALL that, I finally caught an Abra, two to be specific. I am now training my main Abra, Houdini, to take on Misty and her Water-type madness and win!

Player: CJ
Time: 2 : 11
Pokedex: 4 (I have a Pidgey for Fly in the future)
Badges: 1

Team:
Houdini/Abra Lv. 15
Teleport

Abra Lv. Ihaven'tchecked
Teleport

Wartortle Lv. 22 (HM slave)
Water Gun, Tackle, Withdraw, Tail Whip

EDIT: Houdni's evolved and the Cascade Badge is mine. Staryu was no match for my Kadabra's Confusion attack, but Starmie just kept owing me until my 10th try.
I'm now heading off towards the mysterious Bill's house before I forget to level up Kadabra.

Player: CJ
Time: 2 : 35
Pokedex: 5
Badges: 2

Team:
Houdini/Kadabra Lv. 18
Teleport, Confusion

rest are same

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 25, 2013
More progress! Thank you guys for your help!

-Went looking for a Meowth. Sadly, they can't learn cut! *sigh* So, I put Meow Mix in the box and went hunting for a spare Bellsprout instead. Caught one and finally cut down the tree and went to Vermillion Gym!
-Beat all of the gym trainers, but my stupid short attention span caused me to have trouble with the puzzle. I've always hated it. After ten minutes of trial and error, I finally got the doors open so I could fight Surge. Surge was a pushover. Brink the Ivysaur easily defeated him.
-Traversed back through Diglett Cave for some more training, and to get Flash (just in case). Seeing that my pokedex is only at nine, I caught a Pidgey to put in the box.
-Returned through Diglett Cave and to Cerulean City. Began towards Rock Tunnel, fighting as many trainers as possible. Was going to teach my new HM Slave Bellsprout flash but... Bellsprout can't learn flash?! Oh, well.
-Went back to Cerulean City to get some repels. Then went on my second try of Rock Tunnel, and cleared it! Fought the trainer outside of the Tunnel and Brink evolved into Venusaur! Went on to Lavender Town, healed, then set out for Celadon City!
-Once I made it to Celadon City, I healed, and set out for the Game Corner. What's this? A rocket? Easy, right Price? Oh, the Rocket lair!
-Took care of all of those Rocket Grunts and used the elevator key to get to Giovanni. Such a pushover. Price easily took care of all of his pokemon. After beating him, I got the Silph Scope and got out of there! I healed and set out for the Celadon Gym!
-Took care of her trainers without a problem! Now, it was time to see who the best grass type trainer really was! Me or Erika? Victrebel decided to use Belle's strategy and poison then wrap Price into submission. Of course, Belle used her own wrapping powers to defeat the Victrebel. And with an acid assault, Belle took care of Vileplume very easy as well, winning us the Rainbow Badge!
-Healed and then went on a shopping spree! Oh, how I love Celadon! Items of note? Great balls, super potions, a poke doll, some fresh water, and a couple of leaf stones!
-Made it back to Lavender Town and entered Pokemon Tower! Found Mik and fought him once again. Is that a new sprite, perhaps? Price took care of Pidgeotto and Gyarados and someone else (I knew I should have had coffee today! DX) before getting defeated by Kadabra. Belle avenged Price though by defeating both Kadabra and Charmeleon.
-Went back out, healed, and went to defeat all of the mediums in Pokemon Tower. Made it to the top and began to fight Rockets. Defeated them all and received the PokeFlute from Mr. Fuji.

Brink the Venusaur
Level 37
-Tackle (Thinking about switching for DoubleEdge)
-PoisonPowder
-Razor Leaf
-Vine Whip

Price the Parasect
Level 37
-Scratch
-Stun Spore
-Leech Life
-Spore

Belle the Weepinbel
Level 37
-Vine Whip
-Sleep Powder
-Wrap
-Acid

LOL the Bellsprout (HM Slave until I get Krabby)
Level 15
-Cut
-Growth
-Wrap
-PoisonPowder

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
I never thought Krabby was that good a HM slave. Two of the HMs it could learn, Strength and Surf, are actually the two best HMs to put in a proper moveset. I liked Farfetch'd as it could learn Cut and Fly (I never liked two-turn moves).

mattman324

Run to the hills, run for your lives!
Years
I never thought Krabby was that could a HM slave. Two of the HMs it could learn, Strength and Surf, are actually the two best HMs to put in a proper moveset. I liked Farfetch'd as it could learn Cut and Fly (I never liked two-turn moves).

If your team doesn't have a Water type, than Surf is much better than Fly, since you can randomly get, say, Farfetch'd to do that, but you'll be keeping the Surfer in your party. Strength isn't always so useful on a team member.

I personally prefer Meowth. Cut and Flash, but it also gets Pickup.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 25, 2013
There's the thing, Charmaggedon. None of my battling team can learn Surf (Grass mono), and as mattman said, strength isn't always so useful in battle. I finally decided on Krabby because I wanted a quick HM Slave who could Cut, Strength, and Surf my way to the Elite Four.

Anyways, more progress!

-Went down south to fight my way towards Fuschia City! Defeated some trainers, and then fought Snorlax! Received the Super Rod (it always amuses me how it's possible to get the Super Rod before the Good Rod). Arrived at Fuschia City, healed, and went to the little pond behind the Good Rod Fishing Guru's house and caught Rofl the HM Slave Krabby. Taught Rofl cut and put LOL the HM Slave Bellsprout in the box. Then went towards the Fuschia Gym!
-Beat all of the trainers VERY easily, thanks to Price and made it to Koga. Price took care of the first Koffing and Muk terribly easily. Switched Price back for Belle, who took care of the second Koffing and Weezing with a Wrap "storm" and won us the Soul Badge (which looks like a heart. I've always wondered why the Soul Badge looked like a heart).
-After healing, it was time to head to the Safari Zone. I stayed around for a second to catch an Exeggcute (whom I named Sunniside). Went back out, and returned so I could do the Surf and Gold Teeth quest. Got the Gold Teeth, but ran out of steps, making me go back in a third time, which I decided I would do tomorrow.

Sunniside the Exeggcute
Level 25
-Barrage
-Hypnosis
-Reflect

Belle the Weepinbel
Level 40
-Razor Leaf
-Sleep Powder
-Wrap
-Acid

Brink the Venusaur
Level 41
-Tackle
-PoisonPowder
-Razor Leaf
-Vine Whip

Price the Parasect
Level 41
-Slash
-Stun Spore
-Leech Life
-Spore

Years
  • Seen Oct 7, 2013
Hm...

Long time no post. I just finished Pokémon Yellow.

I had all the Youtube links in this part right here, but it turns out I can only link when I have 15 posts. Since I'm not the type who spams a lot, I'll just say: go on Youtube and look for my account, named ThomazSDA. On there, you'll find a playlist of the challenge. I'm sorry I have to do it this way, but oh well... :( Edit: I made the playlist, but Youtube isn't showing it. How do I make it clickable for anyone else? =/

My final team was:

Pikachu "Thomazap" level 49:
~Thunderbolt
~Submission
~Tail Whip
~Body Slam

Magneton "Whoops!" level 50:
~Thunder
~Thunder Wave
~Double Edge
~Supersonic

Jolteon "Sparky" level 50:
~Thunderbolt
~Pin Missile
~Double Kick
~Quick Attack

Electrode "BOOOOOOOOM" level 54:
~Reflect
~Explosion
~Light Screen
~Mimic

Very very limited in movepool. That's definitely what hurt me the most. However, easy-to-manipulate-RNG really makes up for it with crits and the like. Though, I gotta say, aside from some minor Pokémon (mainly Sandslash), it wasn't hard at all.

Onwards to next gen! That one will be a lot easier, because of Lanturn, I'm sure. Sadly, I won't be able to get Mareep until after the first Gym. :(

I can't wait for third gen where Pikachu will really shine. Actually, he already did here, he was pretty much invaluable, protecting me from any harm done by Ground and Rocks. =)

Last edited:

11wildy

Me!
Years
Found some more time to play a bit.

Went trough iron island easily to train Floatzel a bit.
Beat the steel gym easily, since 2 of the leaders pokemon are weak to water.
Went to Snowpoint city, but unfortunately gastrodon died after I tried to run from a Sneasel, but failed. I'll put him in the computer instead of releasing.
In the snowpoint gym I was beating the trainers, but Bibarel died by a critical hit. :(

It's been a bad day for my team. D:

Team:

Floatzel lvl 44
Aqua yet
Agility
Crunch
Strenght

Empoleon lvl 45
Surf
Blizzard
Grass knot
Flash cannon

Candice won't be that hard with Flash cannon.

slls81

Years
With Red finished, I started a game on Crystal last night :)

-Started game and named character Ben.
-Chose Totodile as starter (for Surf later in game)
-Went to see Mr. Pokemon.
-Got a phonecall from Elm, so ran back to lab.
-On the way back I had a battle with a guy with long hair I'd seen hanging around the lab earlier... beat him.
-Went back to lab and told the police that the boys name was Silver.
-Recieved some pokeballs, and went to fins me some flying types.
-Found a Level 3 Hoothoot and caught it.
-Trained Hoothoot up a bit.
-Found a Level 4 Zubat and caught it. Boxed Totodile.
-Trained both pokemon up a bit, before heading to Violet Gym and showing Falkner who the true master of flying types is!
-Headed down Route 32, and finished just outside Union Cave.

Current Team
Spr_2c_041.gif

Zubat (M)
Level 13
-Leech Life
-Supersonic
-Bite

Spr_2c_163.gif

Hoothoot (F)
Level 15
-Tackle
-Peck
-Foresight
-Growl

Years
I finally did a little progress today. I went back to Petalburg and finally beat Norman after numerous attempts. Even though Slakings get destroyed by Dig, the second one stalled Pirates! out for quite a time with Slack Off, and the Vigoroth killed Ninjask quite often (was already weakened because i just needed at least 1 SD). Obtained Surf HM, taught it to Marshtomb and saved.

Team:
Spr_3r_291.png

Pirates! / Ninjask f Lv.37 @ Silk Scarf
Adamant Nature / Speed Boost
- Slash
- Fury Cutter
- Swords Dance
- Dig
I decided trying not to use more team members than these 3 (i'm too lazy to do more training), so i'm going to use Pirates! as my physical attacker...
Spr_3r_314.png

Galileo M. / Illumise f Lv.31 @ /
Timid Nature / Oblivious
- Thunderbolt
- Quick Attack
- Encore
- Wish
Galileo M. as my special attacking support thingy...
Spr_3r_284.png

Flash / Masquerain f Lv.33 @ /
Modest Nature / Intimidate
- Bubblebeam
- Flash
- Quick Attack
- Gust
...And Flash for paralysis support, and as main special attacker. Hopefully it'll get a good Special HP.

Marshtomb Lv. 25 (Surf, Rocksmash, Foresight, Mud Sport)
Zigzagoon Lv. 14 (Cut, Tail Whip, Headbutt, Sand-Attack)

Greeeny

Yes, that's three E's.
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2011
I'm gonna do a rock mono-type challenge starting with Pokemon Red, I love rock type Pokemon and it's sure to be one of the most challenging types on the list. I can't be bothered to play on a brick so I'll be using an emulator on the PSP until Sinnoh.

slls81

Years
Had another play on Crystal last night :)

-Made my way through Union Cave without incident, and arrived in Azelea Town.
-Saved some Slowpoke from Team Rocket, 'cause I'm cool like that :P
-Beat Bugsy... Flying vs Bug what did you think would happen?
-Beat Silver, thanks mostly to Golbat's Confuse Ray/Bite combo.
-Found a lost Farfetch'd and got Cut, which I taught to Totodile
-Made my way through Ilex Forest and went to the daycare centre to get my free egg.
-Just as I got into Goldenrod, Elm's egg hatched into a Togepi :)
-Trained Togepi up a bit.
-Since it was Tuesday, I competely ignored the Gym, and went to the Bug Catching Contest. Caught me a Scyther.
-Trained my team up a bit, then challenged Whitney. Golbat's Confuse Ray/Bite combo was just enough to beat her annoying miltank... and I mean just!

Team at save:

Togepi (F)
Level 16
-Headbutt
-Charm
-Metronome
-Attract

Scyther (F)
Level 16
-Quick Attack
-Pursuit
-Focus Energy
-Leer

Golbat (M)
Level 22
-Bite
-Confuse Ray
-Leech Life
-Supersonic

Noctowl (F)
Level 24
-Peck
-Tackle
-Foresight
-Hypnosis

other pokemon: Totodile Lvl8, Egg

Greeeny

Yes, that's three E's.
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2011
OK well I got started on my rock challenge, using Pokemon Blue instead of Red.

---

Trainer Name: Greeny
Badges: 2
Play Time: 3:34

Latest Progress:
Started with Squirtle for a challenge against rival and a quick and easy start overall.
Delivered Oak's parcel.
Traveled through Viridian Forest.
Beat Brock.
Traveled to Mt. Moon and caught a Geodude.
Walked around for a while until I remembered there are no Onix in Mt. Moon. xD
Trained Geodude and made it to Cerulean City.
Beat rival (I don't remember what I called him) and visited Bill.
Traveled to Vermillion City and battled all the trainers around it.
Went back to Cerulean City and beat Misty after five attempts.
Traveled to Vermillion City once more and entered the SS Anne.

Team:
Gravelar - Level 33
Spr_1b_075.png

Moveset:
-Selfdestruct
-Dig
-Rock Throw
-Mega Punch

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
I finally had time to do my water ultimate mono-type challenge :D.
I resumed from Lilycove, and dumped Gyarados and Pelipper, making it a solo Swampert run. Swampert didn't disappoint in the end, defeating E4.
I can't give pics, since it was on my Emerald cart. on my GBA.
Also no in-depth analysis of the E4, too lazy :D.
So, Final Team:
emespr260.png

Mudking/Swampert
Level 64
Mild Nature
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Earthquake
~ Brick Break.
Slaves: Taillow (Fly), Zigzagoon (Cut, Rock Smash), Electrike (Strength, Flash), Tentacool (Dive, Waterfall)
So, move me to Sinnoh! :D
Alakazam17, the first post states that I'm still in Kanto, and I've reached Sinnoh now :o.
Edit: I may have to drop out of this, because my DS has an error and is gone to repairing. To make it even worse, it'll come back after a month or so. So, can someone suggest a good DS emulator?

Last edited:

Greeeny

Yes, that's three E's.
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2011
Trainer Name: Greeny
Badges: 3
Play Time: 7:14

Latest Progress:
Entered the SS Anne, battled every trainer then headed to the captains room.
Encountered my rival (Smithy), OHKO'd his whole team.
Went onwards and got HM Cut.
Left SS Anne and withdrew a Paras and Drowzee from the PC as HM Slaves.
Taught Cut to Paras.
Defeated Lt. Surge then traveled through Digglet's Cave.
Got HM Flash and taught it to Drowzee.
Obtained the Bike coupon and left for Cerulean City.
Traded the coupon for a Bike and made it to rock tunnel.
Caught an Onix in Rock Tunnel (lvl 16).
Trained Onix while traveling through Rock Tunnel.
Arrived in Lavendar town and headed west.

Team:
Gravelar - Level 41
Spr_1b_075.png

Moveset:
-Selfdestruct
-Earthquake
-Rock Throw
-Body Slam

Onix - Level 26
Spr_1b_095.png

Moveset:
-Tackle
-Screech
-Rage
-Rock Throw

11wildy

Me!
Years
I beat Candice by a combination of training and just abusing Flash cannon XD
I went to the lake and then to Veilstone building. there I beat Cyrus kinda easily. Blizzard for Murkrow and Golbat. Sneasel got beaten by Strenght.

Team:
Floatzel lvl 46
Strenght
Crunch
Aqua yet
Agility

Empoleon lvl 47
Surf
Grass knot
Flash cannon
Blizzard

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
So, I got a DS emulator after a lot of Googling, since it's the first time I'm playing D/P/Pt (my friend gave me his game after defeating the E4, and he had some awesome pokes which i couldn't delete, so I didn't start a new game), and DS Emulator don't have Fast Forward, I'll give a better log of my progress.
So, here we go.
Name: Brendon
Time: 0:35
Log:
Talked a lot with Rowan
Got my first Pokemon in Piplup
Defeated Friend/Rival Barry
Went to Lake Verity, to catch the 'legendary pokemon', Barry said to go
went to Sandgem town
Thanked Rowan
Went to Mom to tell about me going for an adventure
Met Dawn, she told me how to catch AFTER I caught a Bidoof
Saved.
Team:
393.png

Emperor/Piplup (male)
Level 8/Lonely/'Proud of it's power'
~ Return
~ Pound
~ Growl
~ Bubble
I was shocked that you get Return TM so early, and the NN is for Empoleon.

399.png

Beavor/Bidoof (male)
Level 3/Docile/'Likes to fight'
~ Tackle
Not a team member, a slave.

Last edited:

Greeeny

Yes, that's three E's.
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2011
I've made this set of user bars to put in your signatures. I only made the most popular ones though so if yours isn't there PM or VM me and I'll make one for you.

Spoiler:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back